I am no Terrorist, any advice?

No is not this is just the hearing yesterday , the Walker,
I think that what we need exactly:
“The waiver be early not just in the final removal procedure”

When you file the mandamus and for sure been rejected you put in the final removal and that when the waiver apply to us.

cortaidus,

Thanks for the info regarding work permit and travel document. I received the hold notice last year Feb. Initially the lawyer contacted the Human Right First in DC and sent some petitions to her clients who are in the hold status but i think she might not got enough response from them and told me to be a bit patient. So her decision could be motivated by money or by weighting the risk associated. Since i am not sure, i have chosen to wait.

samdalas40
That is also my understanding. I think ability to work and travel is suppose to be the right of the asylee or refugee by default but ability to change status is an additional immigration benefit that asylee are qualified if they met CERTAIN criteria (which means it is not a default right). so the inadmissibility only applies to the later case and doesn't affect the asylee default right. This is my uneducated interpretation of the law and can be wrong. I appreciate if anyone has a different understanding or evidence to share with us. I am not sure where the family reunion right fails but i am assuming it might most likely fail as conditional right of asylee.

The.Walker
based on your response to samdalas40, I think your are not also sure how the law applied to our work eligibility. Thanks for remind me asylee does not require EAD. I know that very well. But is that mean the inadmissibility doesn't affect the result if we applied for EAD. And now a day employers normally use e-verify to check employee eligibility to work based on the datebase in DHS. I am wondering if our current hold status could have any negative effect on the result. If the inadmissibility apply to work eligibility or not?

Keep the discussion alive.

Jone, your understanding is close to the right of an asylee/refugee. Keep in mind that we are protected not only by the US government, but also by a UN treaty that oversees our protection that the US along with all the other member countries signed so long as we remain in an asylee/refugee status. When it comes to applying for benefits from the US government, then those UN protection doesn't apply any longer.For example,if you look at any RTD,it's clearly written on it.

Thanks asylee_1999 for the video I think it reflects the challenge America faces today the balance between security and humanity , I think Sen. Leahy was fortionate in pointing out he is a son of italian refugees (at the time when America at war with Italy) , He was also fortionate to bring in Mr. Igor who was a previous DHS refugee program director if not mistaken , He was a refugee too ( means our refugees share the same security concern we have and they stand in front lines of defending America when it needs them ) one is a senator the other is a DHS vivid supporter of current HOLD LAWS which is by all means an extreme measure/ way in defence against terrorism.I didn't like the last defence of Mr. Glickman who sounded hesitent in answering what if Osama Binladen wife applied for asylum He couldn't answer this question well , BUT I THINK THE MOST IMPORTANT UNANSWERED QUESTION IS HOW IS CURRENT HOLD PROTECTS AMERICA WHEN YOU HOLDING ASYLEES ( TERRORISTS )IN YOUR SHORES ALLOWING THEM TO WORK AND TRAVEL AND NOT ALOWING THEM TO BECOME CITIZENS ? They can still work and support these undesignated organizations and travel to meet with these organization members since there is a travel document they can obtain !!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many bills that had many hearings but never became a law including previuos bills to Mr. Leahy on several immigration issues.a bill must be passed by senate /congress and then signed by the president into a law.

guys ,,,,
i thank you all about the efficent sharing of this information .....
since i joined the forum , i've been always well informed through your posts ....
i am glad this thing is finally gaining momentum through the us senate ...and i am confident that victory will be on our side at the end .

gabralla1976,let's not get confident yet, justnjust said it well, Senator Leahy proposed two similar bills in the past that never got passed the committee, thus never voted on. I still believe collective lawsuit is our best shot. Our numbers are not significant that politicians can benefit from (Huffington post's report), plus our case involves security which makes it politically volatile. In my opinion, paying for our course might be better off.

i guess u r right , i emailed that lawyer in dc and he replied back at me that he will contact me with the rest of you when its the right time , we also have to to do some PR , i e-mailed this website called move.org which have a 5 million subscribers , they are all progressive young liberal , i asked them to join our cause and i gave them the website of the Rallycongress.com ... ihope that member of this forum go there and ask them to do the same ...to join our cause ....imagine how many e-mails and letters will be sent to all of those senator ....so lets work on that front too ....and keep the lawsuit going on ....

I have been advocating sending out e-mail or links to the media for a while. I agree with gabralla1976 doing PR. If we don’t take a step further, nothing is going to change. I like the huffingtonpost article, all we need to is to forward the link. Come on guys let make this happen.

I have been reading some of the earlier posts to learn from people experience. There are a lot of useful info in this thread, thanks all for sharing.

The.Walker
your wrote the following some months ago:

"One of my dad's compatriot whose case has also been sidelined due to this bar nonsense had his son's licenses suspended last week. His son had applied for a driver's license in the state of California and after waiting for 3 months to receive a release on hold on his son's application from the DHS , he decided to call them and he was told that his son's application has been put on hold too. This is ridiculous."

Unfortunately, I haven't see a follow up discussion on this but this is really alarming info. Are you saying you compatriot son driving license was suspended because of the 212 bar? Are you saying we go to DMV now to renew our license, they can suspend the license because of the 212 bar hold? If that is the case then definitely our work eligibility could be also in great question. Please let us know what you exactly meant by that post and if any follow up after that.... Thanks as always.

Here is an important info regarding mandamus, see the details from the link below:

"Many non-citizens have filed mandamus and Administrative Procedure Act (APA) suits against USCIS in federal district court, seeking to force the agency to make decisions on long-delayed applications for immigration benefits. These suits do not ask the court to grant the immigration benefit, but instead to simply order the agency to act on an application. The government frequently has challenged these suits with motions to dismiss claiming that the courts lack jurisdiction."

http://www.legalactioncenter.org/sites/default/files/mandamus-jurisdiction9-24-07_PA.pdf

Jone, Relax.

It appeared that there was no connection between his dad's hold and the delay. Since they live in California, the delay for issuance is natural, it appears. It takes them months before they get their licenses. They get temporary license, but have to wait for a few months to get their hard copies.

Like I've already said, another compatriot flew out and flew back in. This is nothing but an inhumane way of buying more time. You'll get all your immigration benefits.

Tj112, Gabralla and everyone in this forum. How many of us affected by this bar? if everyone of us send letter to 10 different congressmen and 2 senators and 5 news media we could just write 1 paragraph about why are you here in this country, how severe you been affected by this unfair and ridicules bar and what you think he or she should do to help you and the rest of 7000 other who are in the same boat. if we are 20 that mean we could reach 100 congressmen and so on. The more our voice is loud the more effect we will have. let us organize ourselves and send a message to senators like Jeff Sessions from Alabama who is against Leahy’s bill, even though we are asylum seekers, refugees and we can't vote “that why he is against this bill”, but we still able to influence the next election by supporting whoever running against him. We are desperate and we need every tool (face book, tweeter, TV radio news, friends............ any thing, try to communicate with as many people as we can....let us have a commitment to ourselves and to each one here that we will do our best and also hope for the best....

During last senate hearing on RPA 2010 I noticed the prevail of security fear over the humanitarian supporters , we have seen a lot of emotional letters sent to the different people that never provide an answer to the security fear that anti-asylees use as an argument for holding our immigration benifits. I think the argument Mr.Igor V. Timofeyev made is the heart of arguments that every supporter of the hold policy would make , attached below is his testimony , I think we need to make a counter argument to his Testimony to guide the discussion in the right direction since allowing no counter-strong argument to his will make it difficult for this bill to see the light , we need to do our home work and come up with a strong substantiated letter to adress his fears or make sugesstion to send to senator Leahy/Levin , congressmen and the media .Emotional letters will not progress our cause an inch a head.lets come up with counter-argument to Mr. Igor Timofeyev and bright ideas that can be sent to people who lend thier hands to help us like Leahy/Levin.
http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/pdf/10-05-19TimofeyevsTestimony.pdf

Any news guys about the RPA 2010 yet? or anything from the lawyer. I think we going back to ground zero if we don't be active again. thanks

Concerning RPA 2010, I am not excited and don't think this will happen overnight, if you've been following up how these things work, you will know that there is still a very long way to go. There are many steps that the bill has to go through and during these steps, it can get killed, however, it’s a step in the right direction. As I mentioned on an earlier post, I am hoping that the DC lawyer will gets to us sooner than later so that we can go through the courts rather than wait for a new law.BTW,I emailed him again today. After reading the lawyer's profile, I am very optimistic that if he decides to take on the case, then we have a better chance.