I am no Terrorist, any advice?

Hi all. I am new to this forum. MY application is on hold, too. The same reason like all of you here. I am from Ethiopia. I applied in 2008. They send me a letter that my FP and NAME CHECK is clear and after that I got an e-mail through my lawyer that I have a 212 hold. I didn't even know what it means and then I go-ogled it and here I am bewildered, confused and lost.

kebe 27,Coolmint and gabralla1976 unfortionately there are around 6000-7000 on hold for the same reason (212 ), what this thread is about now is to make sure people are unified for an action in the near future , There are many people from your country who are on hold but they are not in this forum , you can help this by letting them know we can get together and fight the hold.

Thank you for the well wishes. Well what are you going to do if you receive a mail "inadvertently". Simply saying sorry is not enough to cover their mistakes like naming someone "terrorist suspect". I do feel like how lightly they can change their views. Your 212 tag is no other than "inadvertent mistake" too. I recall that I received that 212 letter after I made phone inquiry on my case and the lady rep who answered my call was "super rude" and took my interview over the phone.

I hope this bs will stop soon and everyone will be freed. I am confident that no one sould not give up or withdraw their application. Someone asked me here how my 212 letter became "inadvertent mistake of USCIS". Let me say what my attorney did:

1. Initially suggested to go for Mandamus but later withdrew that decision.
2. Applied for a waiver of Inadmissibility (based on Memorandum of March 13, 2009); someone posted this memorandum in this forum.
3. Sent the Waiver of Inadmissibility documents to 3 places: DHS, USCIS, and Local Congressman
4. Made appointment with Local Congressman and took me to the office physically--spoke with rep
5. Then inquiries and orders issued by the Congressional office forced USCIS to re open the file.
Immidiate response arrived from USCIS.
1st letter, removing hold
2nd letter, reversing the decision to deny travel document(which was done earlier)
Waiting for 6 months (but with confident of not being tagged as suspect)

Guys, please move on with the common action. Follow up with lawyer Thomas. I am with you all.

fidan, one of my compatriots actually returned back to COP after his mom's death while on hold. Not suggesting you to do the same but just sharing a personal experience, that's all.

i contacted him too saying: Dear Fidan,

Thanks for your message. I will be in touch with you again soon to gather more information and details about your case, and to discuss next steps.

Best regards,

Thomas

Thank you for the well wishes. Well what are you going to do if you receive a mail "inadvertently". Simply saying sorry is not enough to cover their mistakes like naming someone "terrorist suspect". I do feel like how lightly they can change their views. Your 212 tag is no other than "inadvertent mistake" too. I recall that I received that 212 letter after I made phone inquiry on my case and the lady rep who answered my call was "super rude" and took my interview over the phone.

I hope this bs will stop soon and everyone will be freed. I am confident that no one sould not give up or withdraw their application. Someone asked me here how my 212 letter became "inadvertent mistake of USCIS". Let me say what my attorney did:

1. Initially suggested to go for Mandamus but later withdrew that decision.
2. Applied for a waiver of Inadmissibility (based on Memorandum of March 13, 2009); someone posted this memorandum in this forum.
3. Sent the Waiver of Inadmissibility documents to 3 places: DHS, USCIS, and Local Congressman
4. Made appointment with Local Congressman and took me to the office physically--spoke with rep
5. Then inquiries and orders issued by the Congressional office forced USCIS to re open the file.
Immidiate response arrived from USCIS.
1st letter, removing hold
2nd letter, reversing the decision to deny travel document(which was done earlier)
Waiting for 6 months (but with confident of not being tagged as suspect)

Guys, please move on with the common action. Follow up with lawyer Thomas. I am with you all.

fidan787, The.walker is right.I had a similar question and had to resort to my congressman's office. They did an inquiry using my form I 131 application and travel document number from Nebraska and based on the letter that I have, there is no effect whatsoever on you’re travelling in and out of the country. But as I had mentioned in an earlier post, if I were you, I will do the same inquiry with my congressman/senator to be 100% sure. It’s good to get into the habit of getting first hand information and confirming it with what you read online.

NepaliAsylee said, "I recall that I received that 212 letter after I made phone inquiry on my case and the lady rep who answered my call was "super rude" and took my interview over the phone." the same thing happened in my case too. On my third inquiry the lady was rude and i received the email next day about the hold. Someone else in here had a similar experence too where the agent was rude. So after reading what nepaliAsylee wrote, i conclude that most of these holds are nothing but some agents buying time, or taking cruel action against your fate. don't ask me why? but some people like to torture others for no reason, they get annoyed for small things. i think most of us are victim of that. I have worked in call centers and i know how agents can react against your account if they get annoyed or sometimes you just have a bad luck of talking to some of these agents who simply have bad attitude about their job of burned out of doing the same thing for some time. And here we are worried to death why we were suspected for no reason. 212 is for material support and most of you all know that you did not helped the bad boys rather you were the victim, so why were you placed on hold. I think, it's cuz you had a bad luck of speaking with a bad agent at one of your inquiries who was either racist, mean, cruel, burned out from his/her job or didn't like asylee. After all they are humans to and they might have their biases. Otherwise, look at Nepaliasylee letter again, after suspecting him terrorist and almost giving him heart attack and torturing him for nothing for years now they aer saying it was a mistake, he should not even have received that email in the first place , and sorry for the inconvinience. what the hell...

Dear nepali Asylee , your story is a good media story, this shows how easy they can call you a terrorist suspect (better be safe than sorry), how they don't consider the humane aspect of their mission , how they can be the judge and law enforcement ,how refugees and asylees are vulnerable to a human mistake done by a human being for different motives with the end result of you being labeled as a terrorist suspect , if you didnot act you would have been assumed on hold and no one dare or care in DHS or USCIS.But at the other end it shows that if we keep silent we will be on hold and we will take the hold with us to our graves. We need to keep moving and moving right into our goal TO LIFT THIS TAG OFF OUR SHOULDERS.

When are we going to write to the media, the sooner the better? Please let’s come up with something ASAP.

Tj112
I suggest we do group effort as well as individual effort that way we cover everything, from contacting media to following with the lawyer. I hope everything go well.

Today I contacted USCIS office and requested to talk to a higher lever officer. I got transferred to an officer, she asked me where I am from, I told her where am from. She said our record show that you from different country, then she asked for my A# more than three time, finally she said I will send a request and you should hear something within 10 days. I asked why the record show that I am from diff country, she replied back “oh, I miss typed your last 2 digit A#, now it show the right country “How insane “different country” Lool

Guys please answer me, thank you. How is it possible that my case in on hold on 212 after my finger print and name check are clear?

Guys please answer me, thank you. How is it possible that my case in on hold on 212 after my finger print and name check are clear?

Hi Kebe27,

if you mention your involvement in any political group which is fighting the ethiopian government like OLF on your application for green card/asylum your case will be put on hold .

Dear Kebe27 , remember some of us applied a year after the grant of asylum , this grant depends on name/FBI clearance , a year later you are a material support case.I don't know how to make sense but this is the reality , now finding which Tier you belong to is another question but since you were granted asylum you most likely belong to Tier III voluntary affliation to a party that is only on DHS list ( usually DHS and Department of state will keep a list of Tier I and II groups which will automatically disqualifies you from grant of asylum unless your participation was under Duress,forced to do it,most of those under Duress are of Tier I and II are waived now) but Tier III are not ! so do the math.You can find out more about your particular case by Filing FOIA (Freedom Of Information Act) which is free if you request a CD of your immigration records and I have done it but it takes 3-4 months to have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tj112
Have you emailed Thomas K. the lawyer in Washington, DC. we need to gather as much people as possible in order to win this case, otherwise we have to wait another 10 years waiting for that hold to be removed. If we lucky the immigration bill will pass before we go to the court. I hope for that. I heard President Obama saying in the news " We should start the immigration reform this year" that mean its not going to happen or finish this year by any-mean. If at least somehow we contact the media about this, we could force them to pass the bill before the end of he year. Thanks

JustnJust
I would like to file FOIA, could you send me or post some info on how to apply, I would like to do it ASAP. thanks