I am in a state of shock

greencarder

Registered Users (C)
Dear all,
I just sent off my citizenship application yesterday and I think I should not have done it. I am saying that after reading that latest fact sheet about asylees' travel to home country. This was a shocking document to me and I am extremely anxious right now because of it. Here is the situation. I came to the US in 1992, my asylum was approved in 1997 and I got my green card in 2003 ( back stamped to 2002). I never traveled to my home country except in 2003 and when I did, I repeated my visit two more times. Each time nothing happened and immigration officers were very friendly. Things have drastically changed in my country. The government changed its policy with respect to my minority group and gave us more protection against Islamic fanatics. I then made a very daring and reckless decision. I took a job in an American relief organization that serve refugees in my home country and have been working there for the last 5 months. I came back a week ago to apply for my citzenship and will head back after one week. I know I totaly screwed up. Here is the question: Will they strip me off my green card and will they accuse me of fraud? Or, was this fact sheet written by an amateur officer and no immigration officer really reads it? I have tax return for the last 5 years and I am working for a relief organization that serve refugees temporarily located in my home country. As you see, I am helping those who went through what I went through. I have not visited my home country for 11 years until I got my green card. I have a very advanced degree and my position is very respectful. I have a good moral character and was never convicted of any crime. I drove a taxi for 5 years that helped me get through school and receive my degree, so I represent a textbook example of what Americans should do and be. Am I screwed? Did I make a big mistake by sending my application. Did I open a hornet's nest? What will happen to me? I am awaiting your responses!

greencarder said:
Dear all,
I just sent off my citizenship application yesterday and I think I should not have done it. I am saying that after reading that latest fact sheet about asylees' travel to home country. This was a shocking document to me and I am extremely anxious right now because of it. Here is the situation. I came to the US in 1992, my asylum was approved in 1997 and I got my green card in 2003 ( back stamped to 2002). I never traveled to my home country except in 2003 and when I did, I repeated my visit two more times. Each time nothing happened and immigration officers were very friendly. Things have drastically changed in my country. The government changed its policy with respect to my minority group and gave us more protection against Islamic fanatics. I then made a very daring and reckless decision. I took a job in an American relief organization that serve refugees in my home country and have been working there for the last 5 months. I came back a week ago to apply for my citzenship and will head back after one week. I know I totaly screwed up. Here is the question: Will they strip me off my green card and will they accuse me of fraud? Or, was this fact sheet written by an amateur officer and no immigration officer really reads it? I have tax return for the last 5 years and I am working for a relief organization that serve refugees temporarily located in my home country. As you see, I am helping those who went through what I went through. I have not visited my home country for 11 years until I got my green card. I have a very advanced degree and my position is very respectful. I have a good moral character and was never convicted of any crime. I drove a taxi for 5 years that helped me get through school and receive my degree, so I represent a textbook example of what Americans should do and be. Am I screwed? Did I make a big mistake by sending my application. Did I open a hornet's nest? What will happen to me? I am awaiting your responses!

Stop panicking for no reasons. You applied and lets see what happens. You did not open any hornets nest or whatever. It is up to the officer to determine if you deserve to be a U.S Citizen or not. He can't just grab the GC from you and run. Everything works in a process in this country.

Just chill and let us know what happens to your application. Also one good advice is just answer what they ask, do not volunteer information.

I will bet anything you want, to anyone, that YOU WILL BE JUST FINE. I think in light of the circumstances, any IO will realize you more than deserve your citizenship. Stop worrying... people much, much less deserving than you have gotten it... you'll be OK!

Relax. In light of the changed country conditions you noted, you should be in reasonably good shape. Just gather some evidence of the new country conditons in case it comes up during the adjudication of the citizenship application.

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is where have you been living? What country? I would imagine that Greencard holders are supposed to work and live in the US.

In my opinion that is the first alarm I see.. If you have been living and working outside of the US does that fall within the guidelines of the BCIS?

My sister had a complicated issue but she didn't get her greencard through asylum, so those are different channels. I have lived her longer than she has, she is a Citizen and I dont' even have a greencard figures ha!

Exactly the case we were all waiting for. I think this will be a good example for all of us. I personally think nothing will happen. You travelled after you became a PR which will be a positive. Let's see the outcome of this case which i am hopping will be a positive one.

Hopefully, this case will answer THE ULTIMATE question we all have been searching for in such a long time.

First hand information. FINALLY!!!!

Just relax my friend. You didn't commit a crime. You will just be fine. Do keep us posted.

The issue here is...

Where do you live? In USA or at your COP? Your statement is kind of confusing. In order to get your citizenship approved you have to live in USA for 5 consecutive years and your absences can't be longer that 6 months.
You say:
I then made a very daring and reckless decision. I took a job in an American relief organization that serve refugees in my home country and have been working there for the last 5 months.

When you say working there you mean with the association or at you home country?
:confused:

Noman74 said:
Exactly the case we were all waiting for. I think this will be a good example for all of us. I personally think nothing will happen. You travelled after you became a PR which will be a positive. Let's see the outcome of this case which i am hopping will be a positive one.

Hopefully, this case will answer THE ULTIMATE question we all have been searching for in such a long time.

First hand information. FINALLY!!!!

Just relax my friend. You didn't commit a crime. You will just be fine. Do keep us posted.

This is probably not the "test case" you wanted. He said that "Things have drastically changed in my country. The government changed its policy with respect to my minority group and gave us more protection against Islamic fanatics."

kiev said:
This is probably not the "test case" you wanted. He said that "Things have drastically changed in my country. The government changed its policy with respect to my minority group and gave us more protection against Islamic fanatics."

This might not be a "perfect" test case, but it will still give us a lot of first hand information we have been wanting to hear. Him going through the whole process, seeing an officer, cross questioning etc will give us a better idea.

Colombian PR said:
Where do you live? In USA or at your COP? Your statement is kind of confusing. In order to get your citizenship approved you have to live in USA for 5 consecutive years and your absences can't be longer that 6 months.
You say:
I then made a very daring and reckless decision. I took a job in an American relief organization that serve refugees in my home country and have been working there for the last 5 months.

When you say working there you mean with the association or at you home country?
:confused:

I want to thank those who encouraged me. Let me clarify things. I spent the last 5 years in the States and I was only outside the US for 250 days during that period. My longest trip was during the last 5 months after starting my job in my home country. I just came back to spend a month in which I could apply to my citizenship.
I met all the criteria: During the 5 years I spent the whole 5 years - 270 days. I kept my address at the district where i was. I had my green card for almost 5 years now. I have filed income tax during the last 14 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pinkie said:
My question is where have you been living? What country? I would imagine that Greencard holders are supposed to work and live in the US.

In my opinion that is the first alarm I see.. If you have been living and working outside of the US does that fall within the guidelines of the BCIS?

My sister had a complicated issue but she didn't get her greencard through asylum, so those are different channels. I have lived her longer than she has, she is a Citizen and I dont' even have a greencard figures ha!

I only spent the last 5 months in my home country but i was in the states during the last 14 years

I don't know if I remember correctly, but I thought if you work for an american company and you get "stationed" in another part of the world, you will still be considered as if you are living in america? Correct me if I am wrong because I don't know if I heard this in my dream or if it's valid. Is there such a thing?

My point is if my statement is somewhat valid, maybe the fact that you are working in an American company will remove any "issues" you have about bein in your COP for 5 months.

Anyway, I think you will be fine. Don't panic. Like they said, just be prepared to explain your case, just in case you are asked.

Good luck and I wish you the best.

Another issue

I don't think you'll have any issue regarding working in another country, especially for an American company. But if I remember correctly, you have to live continuosly for like three months in the district where you apply for you citizenship in the US.

Punjabi_Munda said:
I don't think you'll have any issue regarding working in another country, especially for an American company. But if I remember correctly, you have to live continuosly for like three months in the district where you apply for you citizenship in the US.
This is another problem in my application. However, I technically lived in the same district/area during the last 18 months, and during the last 5 months I changed my address to my cousin's house, who also happens to live in the same district. In other words, even though I traveled during the last 5 months, I kept my residency in the same district. You know, this appplication is full of troubles, but I just had to give it a try. I have been living in this country during the last 14 years and did my best to be a good and successful American. I would die for this country and I am spreading its values of freedom and human rights where I am. I cannot give up that American part of me even though i now have a secure job that can let me live a comfortable life during the rest of my life in my home country.

My recollection is that you can file what's called form n-470 or "application to preserve residence for naturalization purposes." This way, the time you spend abroad working for an American relief organization would be counted in your residency period. But, not sure if that’s needed in your case anyway because you do meet the residency requirement without the time you spent abroad. I also agree with everyone else who's noted that in your case, the difference is that the country conditions have changed. To my knowledge, the immigration and nationality act states that asylum status can be taken away if the country conditions change, but the statute is silent on whether or not permanent residency status can be taken away if the country conditions have changed. Even in the case of asylum, it is discretionary on the part of the officer to challenge the asylum status once there is a change in country conditions. I would just suggest that you be absolutely honest during your interview about your trips to your COP. I think you will be just fine.

Lexi said:
My recollection is that you can file what's called form n-470 or "application to preserve residence for naturalization purposes." This way, the time you spend abroad working for an American relief organization would be counted in your residency period. But, not sure if that’s needed in your case anyway because you do meet the residency requirement without the time you spent abroad. I also agree with everyone else who's noted that in your case, the difference is that the country conditions have changed. To my knowledge, the immigration and nationality act states that asylum status can be taken away if the country conditions change, but the statute is silent on whether or not permanent residency status can be taken away if the country conditions have changed. Even in the case of asylum, it is discretionary on the part of the officer to challenge the asylum status once there is a change in country conditions. I would just suggest that you be absolutely honest during your interview about your trips to your COP. I think you will be just fine.

I don't think you permanent residency can be taken away just because your COP condition was changed, otherwise it will not called "permanent". Asylum status can be taken away since it is just status US give to you for temporary protection. If your asylum application was fraud, that's a different story. But nobody can conclude your asylum was fraust just because you went back to COP.

I think you will be fine, no need to be panic.

Rain on your parade

I think different. You have been living at his COP for 5 months now. You can loose your resident Status because you don't reside in the US. Resident means living in this country not living and working out side US.

Wait and see what happens, but I do see there is an issue in your process. You not only DON"T live here but you live and work at your COP!!!!!!!

Colombian PR said:
I think different. You have been living at his COP for 5 months now. You can loose your resident Status because you don't reside in the US. Resident means living in this country not living and working out side US.

Wait and see what happens, but I do see there is an issue in your process. You not only DON"T live here but you live and work at your COP!!!!!!!

You raised a very good point, but it is entirely distinct from the ability of an asylum-based green card holder to visit COP. Every single LPR is subject to the requirement that he must always intend to maintain his home in the United States. LPR status can be abandoned without the alien really knowing it.

thankful said:
You raised a very good point, but it is entirely distinct from the ability of an asylum-based green card holder to visit COP. Every single LPR is subject to the requirement that he must always intend to maintain his home in the United States. LPR status can be abandoned without the alien really knowing it.

The fact that he was admitted without any problems after being out of country for 5 months is ok..dont you think?

If you are out of country for 6 months or more without a RP, it can be considered that you abandoned your PR status...

I think he is OK. The fact that an officer let him in without trouble says a lot.

wantmygcnow said:
The fact that he was admitted without any problems after being out of country for 5 months is ok..dont you think?

If you are out of country for 6 months or more without a RP, it can be considered that you abandoned your PR status...

I think he is OK. The fact that an officer let him in without trouble says a lot.

The officer at the port of entry makes a cursory (relatively) check and the naturalization examiner is not bound by the earlier decision (the two officers are from differernt parts of the DHS anyhow).

Based on the facts he provided I would be surprised if this became a real issue for him, but the larger point is that when one applies for citizenship they do a pretty complete review of your immigration history (everything becomes fair game).