I-751 waiver December filer( divorced/ Bona fide marriage)

Hi okalian,

I filed for my I-751 based on married in good faith waiver. Congratulations that you got approved.

Did you get approved with or without an interview? If you were approved with an interview, can you tell me what exactly went on in the interview. And how much time did it take you for the waiver to be approved? which service center did u file in?

I have given lots and lots of evidence along with personal statements and affidavits. My biometrics is done and I am waiting for the next step.

iamwhatiam,

i was approved without an interview. Did you file at Vermont or California service center?

mr2100 my case is I751 waiver, I sent two affifaivts one from my ex wife and one from my friend. well I am still waiting until the 6
months time to vermont as you told me. I have a question what if my extension expired after one year and i am stll in process. this is not happening yet. but i was wonder ? can i extend that for more time?

Vermont take more than six months sometimes? I filed in vermont and Its been 5 months I filed a waiver with divorce. I am still waiting
I got my biometrics 3 months ago.

You're eligible to make an infopass appointment and get an I-551 stamp if your extension letter expires.

Thank you okalian. I got some some questions. Where do they place the stamp of I-551 , in your passport? or in the same letter that
you got the first time they extent you for one year, because let say when I got my conditional residence they didnt do anything with
my visa because was expired, but my passport stil current until 2015. My other question is: After the 6 months time period I have to call to
vermont right? to see was going on.Right? what is going to happen when I call , please explain me that scenario. thank for you help.

They place the I-551 stamp on your passport.

I don't know what's going to happen when you call! I don't have a crystal ball, how do i "explain to you that scenario" ?:D But they'll probably give you the option to place an inquiry. I-751's can sometimes take more than a year to process in general..for USCIS it's a low priority application because you already have a permanent resident status..But most of the time it doesn't take that long.

Hi to all the filer of I751 waiver. I am new here, but even im not a member before i am updated with the forum by just reading all your experience..I just wann share my timeline and my experience about this case. My case is really complicated because this is my second filing of i751. My first one is joint with my ex-husband. after 5 months i filed my i751 our marriage having problem.i moved in florida for work and he left in illinois. He didnt inform me about all the notices for biometric so after 6 months my case was DENIED for not showing on finger printing..I filed my joint i751 Aug2008- then Denied Dec.2008. I found out i was denied july 2009.. in between dec and july i was verifying my case they say pending but it was denied already.. So i was so hopeless i dont know what to do my case was denied before my divorce. So before i appeal to file a withdrawal.I cant windraw anymore because it's already deny..So i hired a lawyer to help me. I still hoping for luck.My lawyer went to immigration office and ask about my case they said i can file it again by waiver. So i just go for it and gamble my luck...Here's my timeline...

TIMELINE:
Nov.10 2009 - My lawyer send my i751 waiver to immigration.
a week after the receipt and my 1 year extension
the a week after Notice for Biometric Scheduled
Dec. 12 2009- Biometric Scheduled
Thats the start of waiting.......
April 10, 2010- letter from immigration Notice for interview schedule
May 10,2010 -May Big Day - judgement day for me its my interview ( THANKS GOD) I WAS APPROVED...

Thanks Maria1984 .I just think positive on my interviewed even i feel nervous. And God was so great giving me a nice IO. Shes doesnt have a lot of questioned to me me. She just aske me the common questioned to waivers petitioned.. WHy your marriage failed? then after that how do you met your husband? tell me your story? thats it. My advised to everyone here be yourself and tell nothing but the truth. and look the officer in the eyes when you talk showing that you are sincere on what you say. And if you feel crying of the good or bad story of your life with your ex, IO understand your feelings. Just be your self, be positive, take a deep breath andhave faith. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY HERE. GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

TIMELINE:
May 10,2010 -May Big Day - judgement day for me its my interview ( THANKS GOD) I WAS APPROVED...
Waiting for Approved Notice and GC.. (IO told me they have slow production of GC so she dont know how many weeks)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ms. Philippines thanks for sharing your story! It's nice to hear that they do approve waivers in complicated cases like yours.

To continue my story,
I have hired a lawer, a different one. He has moved my today's appointment to next month (don't have a date yet, should come in the mail) and planning to amend I-751 to filed separetly on good faith marriage- meanwhile he is working on the divorce for me, while asking for some time extension to finish the divorce . I am sure he will be able to help me. :)

Hi yxo58 your on the right path. I dont think you will have a problem with your case. As long you keep on following up your previous case and you dont missed any update from immigration youll be fine until you got your divorce granted and file your i751 waiver. Mine got complicated because my ex doesnt cooperate with me thats why i got a problem. How long now since you file your divorce. Coz mine i just found out its only takes a month from filing. But i know if both of you is present on the first court apperance then settle everything that day you can divorce in less than a month.

Hi to all the filer of I751 waiver. I am new here, but even im not a member before i am updated with the forum by just reading all your experience..I just wann share my timeline and my experience about this case. My case is really complicated because this is my second filing of i751. My first one is joint with my ex-husband. after 5 months i filed my i751 our marriage having problem.i moved in florida for work and he left in illinois. He didnt inform me about all the notices for biometric so after 6 months my case was DENIED for not showing on finger printing..I filed my joint i751 Aug2008- then Denied Dec.2008. I found out i was denied july 2009.. in between dec and july i was verifying my case they say pending but it was denied already.. So i was so hopeless i dont know what to do my case was denied before my divorce. So before i appeal to file a withdrawal.I cant windraw anymore because it's already deny..So i hired a lawyer to help me. I still hoping for luck.My lawyer went to immigration office and ask about my case they said i can file it again by waiver. So i just go for it and gamble my luck...Here's my timeline...

TIMELINE:

Hi MS. PHILIPPINES!
congarat to you for your approvel, I am also going through this situation,can you plz tell me which DO office was you filed your first joint I-751. and how long was your marriage last? and wat type of proofs u showed to IO officer in interview/ with your appliaction. and also please tell me in detail if you remember all of questions which IO officer asked you @ interview coz I am also aspecting interview for my case. your answer will help me in my interview.
Thank you and Good luck to you for your future life.

Hi yxo58 your on the right path. I dont think you will have a problem with your case. As long you keep on following up your previous case and you dont missed any update from immigration youll be fine until you got your divorce granted and file your i751 waiver. Mine got complicated because my ex doesnt cooperate with me thats why i got a problem. How long now since you file your divorce. Coz mine i just found out its only takes a month from filing. But i know if both of you is present on the first court apperance then settle everything that day you can divorce in less than a month.

wow- did you file your divorce in FL? in my state- the minimum is 3 months for the divorce to be finalized. My husband is also not cooperative, I don't even know where he is at, and he does not responde to any of my emails. My lawer plans to file as abondoment, which might take a little longer than 3 months. He has not filed yet, but I should get all the papers in the mail early next week- and hopefully we'll start the divorce next week, early the following week.

I think this is a little crazy that we have to go through all this, and pay so much money to lawers to just get a right to live here.

Hi MS. PHILIPPINES!
congarat to you for your approvel, I am also going through this situation,can you plz tell me which DO office was you filed your first joint I-751. and how long was your marriage last? and wat type of proofs u showed to IO officer in interview/ with your appliaction. and also please tell me in detail if you remember all of questions which IO officer asked you @ interview coz I am also aspecting interview for my case. your answer will help me in my interview.
Thank you and Good luck to you for your future life.

So, you were approved in court, and now you are being scheduled for an interview? Sorry, I was lucky that I did not get that far in my situation, so, I am a little unfamiliar how it works in that regard.

HI Ms Philipines. I am in the same situation, I am going to have my interview in a month. Please could you tell me what type of proofs u showed to IO officer in interview/ with your appliaction. and also please tell me in detail if you remember what kind of questions or all questions which IO officer asked you @ interview because I am also aspecting interview for my case. thank you . this will help me a lot.
Good bless you.

I received an notice to attend to an interview in a Month. Do you know what are the typical questions they ask and is the best way to respond
to them. I hope everything go well. Thank you

Five months past since my I751 waiver appliaction, but no update yet, plaese pray for me all.
thanks and good luck to everyone,

inshAlllah all will be fine. In a month, you'll be able to schedule an infopass and make an inquiry since it'll be outside the 6 months processing time. Hopefully you'll hear good news before then.

Hi all
I have sat back and read this forum for months and finally I decided to join. First let me say that after the experience that I had this past month with an IO; please hire a lawyer when you go to an interview if you are filing under the good faith waiver, because the IO's will take advantage of you, simply because you do not know the law.

Now for my story, I was married to a US citizen for over 2 years, 2007, I became a C.P.R. in 2008 after being married for almost 11 months. Then we had some financial problem which destroyed our marriage. We got a simplified divorce in march 2009, then in November 2009 I filed the I-751, I did the finger print and the whole nine years.
For evidence I submitted the following:
Joint account
Affidavits from her parent
many photos with me her and her family
letters she wrote to me while we were married
Joint lease
Car insurance
The divorce decree
And a bunch of other stuff
Oh and joint taxes
Well my interview was schedule about two weeks ago 7:30 am (which I found to be strange so early in the morning)
When I got there the first thing the IO ask me was “are you alone?”
I answered “yes”
Then he said "where is your wife"
My answer "I am divorced"
He then said how could you be divorced I didn’t see a divorce decree in your packet.
I said to him "look it’s there",
he said "No it’s not"
Luckily I had the original with me so I handed it to him.
He then said, well why it is not here, I told him to please look in the file. When he opened the file in front of me low and behold the decree was right there looking at him.
He then said to me. "I see that you attended ______ university" I then said "yes that’s where me and my ex-wife met and I submitted an official copy of her transcripts showing that we attended the university at the same time" I then told him that I had my BS and MS from that university.

The next 30 seconds was a scene from a horror flix

IO said "I cannot approve this case; I am going to have to deny your greencard"
I was a little upset but being the professional that I am I tried my best to remain as calm as possible.
All I said was "Ok sir"
He then walked me out of his cubicle and said that I would receive a notice from them in the mail.
As soon as I got in my car I called my friend who was an Immigration lawyer in another state. He told me that a lot of people get denied when they file the I 751 using the waiver and that I need to hire the best lawyer in town.
I proceeded to do just what he said
The lawyer basically told me that once they send me the letter she will take it to court and have the immigration judge decide. She then said that it will be up to their prosecutor to prove that I entered the marriage to evade immigration.

Guys the IO's have no power, all the power lies with the immigration judge. If you have all the evidence and a good lawyer you don’t have anything to worry about. It is up to them to go through hell and back to prove that you got married to stay. Always remember the truth shall set you free.
As for me I just have to wait for my court date. I am a little anxious but not scared. and none of you should be scared either. Hold your heads up high.