I-400 while I-90 is in process

DelMedio

I recently filled I-90 for renewal (my green card expires in 3 months). It looks like I-90 for renewal has incredible long processing time. My question: Can I fill I-400 while I-90 is in process?

Thanks,

DelMedio

Short answer...yes you can.
You do not need a valid green card for citizenship process...expired one will do fine. You can also travel with your expired green card, and I-90 reciept if you need to.

Yes you can file N-400 with pending i-90. Just bring I-90 receipt to interview if you don't get renewed GC by then.

I recently filled I-90 for renewal (my green card expires in 3 months). It looks like I-90 for renewal has incredible long processing time. My question: Can I fill I-400 while I-90 is in process?

Thanks,

DelMedio

Back in 2004, I had to renew my original GC. When I went to the local ASC for biometrics, the IO who was processing my application placed a sticker on the back of my original card, extending its validity for another year. Was this done with your card?

Of course you can! Your status is permanent and it didn’t expire, just your card.
Sent copy of your expired Green Card with a copy of I-90 NOA when you file N-400.
And take a look at my signature – my conditional GC expired 10 months ago, but pending removal of conditions didn’t stop me for applying for citizenship. ;)

I think you could save a lot of money if you don't renew your GC since you'll probably be a citizen soon anyway.

I think you could save a lot of money if you don't renew your GC since you'll probably be a citizen soon anyway.

No! This is a bad advice. The OP’s GC expires in less then six month, he must apply for a renewal.

Q.If my Permanent Resident Card expires while I am applying for naturalization, do I still need to apply for a new card?
If you apply for naturalization 6 months or more before the expiration date on your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as an Alien Registration Card or “Green Card”), you do not have to apply for a new card. However, you may apply for a renewal card if you wish by using an “Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card” (Form I-90) and paying the appropriate fee. Call the USCIS Forms Line or visit www.uscis.gov.
If you apply for naturalization less than 6 months before the expiration date on your Permanent Resident Card, or don’t apply for naturalization until your card has already expired, you must renew your card.

“A Guide to Naturalization”: http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

If you apply for naturalization less than 6 months before the expiration date on your Permanent Resident Card, or don’t apply for naturalization until your card has already expired, you must renew your card.[/I]

Thanks Jane. I was about to make a big mistake and skip the renewal (I-90) process. Now the question is: Should I wait with N-400 until I will physically get the new GC, or the I-90 receipt is good enough?

You should apply for renewal. Start the N400 process as soon as possible (if eligible).
I90 reciept with expired green card is good enough for interview, oath, or travel.

You should apply for renewal. Start the N400 process as soon as possible (if eligible).
I90 reciept with expired green card is good enough for interview, oath, or travel.
Good enough for travel? I thought you had to get an I-551 passport stamp to travel outside the US and return, if your green card has expired.