how to maintain F-1 full time student status while I-485 is pending

yjntan

Registered Users (C)
Dear all,

I am currently F-1 full time student and I-485 is pending and I-765 is approved (April 20 : card production ordered ). I am not sure till when I should maintain my full time student status. Can I stop going to school as soon as I receive EAD? My school is private school and it's my second master which I don't really need right now.

Give me your insights. Thank you in advance.

yjtan

If you want to quit school then yes, you can. Your F-1 status is now invalid due to the fact you have filed for AOS. The AOS application gives you legal status in the USA, you are no longer reliant on your F-1 to prove legal presence in the USA.

Nice to know that you were just going to school to wait for your Greencard, and not because you actually wanted to study. A good example to all intending immigrants on how to play the system. Immigration reform can't come soon enough to stop this sort of thing IMHO.

dr_Lha,

at least we were all in legal status for years and years instead of just becoming illegals while waiting for an opportunity to apply for GC through spouses. In the meanwhile we were getting smarter, which should be a plus for everybody.

dr_Lha,

at least we were all in legal status for years and years instead of just becoming illegals while waiting for an opportunity to apply for GC through spouses. In the meanwhile we were getting smarter, which should be a plus for everybody.
I have nothing against F-1s and studying, just this person is going to drop out purely because he doesn't need an F-1 to maintain his legal presence. He's not here to learn, he's just using the F-1 to remain in the country.

Forgive me, but that's bullshit.

Illegal aliens are not relevant here, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I have nothing against F-1s and studying, just this person is going to drop out purely because he doesn't need an F-1 to maintain his legal presence. He's not here to learn, he's just using the F-1 to remain in the country.

I beg your pardon??????? what in the world you think you know my situation. If you are interested then read all my thread I posted. For God's sake, if you don't know enough please do not say anything.

I beg your pardon??????? what in the world you think you know my situation. If you are interested then read all my thread I posted. For God's sake, if you don't know enough please do not say anything.

If you want to quit school then yes, you can. Your F-1 status is now invalid due to the fact you have filed for AOS. The AOS application gives you legal status in the USA, you are no longer reliant on your F-1 to prove legal presence in the USA.

Nice to know that you were just going to school to wait for your Greencard, and not because you actually wanted to study. A good example to all intending immigrants on how to play the system. Immigration reform can't come soon enough to stop this sort of thing IMHO.
And by the way you are wrong on your advice. I have talked to an Attorney this morning but AOS does not give you a legal status period.

And by the way you are wrong on your advice. I have talked to an Attorney this morning but AOS does not give you a legal status period.

Your attorney is wrong and apparently doesn't know the basics of US immigration law. I would seriously consider not retaining this individual.

Yes, just like TheRealCanadian says I am not wrong. Filing for AOS invalidates your F-1, but gives you a "pending adjustment" status which means you're legally present in the USA.

PS. Tough shit about what I posted about you earlier. You can accuse me of being an asshole, but the advice I gave in my original post was correct. ;) So yes, you can drop out now, and enjoy the freedom of living in the USA without the burden of study.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, your attorney is full of crap. Just the fact you have a pending application gives you legal status (you just can't leave the country) My TN status expired a few months before my green card was approved but I was still here legally since I had a pending application.