How to Apply for a Green Card- Do it Yourself

Use the old A#

Always use the A# they have already assigned. Its makes easy for UCIS to link files at one place.

PunjabDaPuttar:: i am concurrently filing I-130, I-485, I-765,I-131.

I have one question on A# ( Alien Registration Number).
I was on F1 visa before. so i have one expired EAD card which i got during my OPT in 2005. this card has a A#.
so should i put this A# on all forms( I-485,I-130,I-765,I-131) or leave it blank.???

Punjabi1

**Need some more advice from you guys **
My wife is having her citizenship oath ceremony on April 30th. she is planning to change her name on this day. so she will get her Naturalization certificate with new name.
Now i have all documents and forms ( I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131) ready which i am going to submit for my Green card. i am just waiting for her Naturalization certificate.

Now my Question is whatever supporting documents i have for (I-130, I-485 ,I-765, I-131) has my wife old name and her Nauralization certificate going to have her new name ( they also gonna give her Name change Court Authorzied Letter).

Is this gonna create any problem when i will submit my AOS application to USCIS ?? should i change her name on all documents which is kind of imposible ?? do i need to put her new name on all forms( I-485/ I-130) ??

Punjabi1

Always use the A# they have already assigned. Its makes easy for UCIS to link files at one place.

Since your wife will have a new name after the naturalization ceremony then she must need to use her new name everywhere...that includes on all the immigration forms that would be filed for you or on behalf of you. So, her new name will need to be used everywhere.

You guys will need to attach a letter with each required form (I-130, I-485 or whatever) stating that her name has changed by virtue of naturalization and do include a copy of her naturalization certificate with that letter even though she will be submitted her naturalization certificate many times for many reasons on all these forms. It's important to include this letter with each form so that the possibility of immigration clerks to overlook it could be ruled out; otherwise immigration clerks are known to make mistakes in overlooking facts/documents too often.

Also, she must need to include her previous name on Form I-130 and G-325A (or wherever its asked) wherein it's asked about OTHER NAME USED.

Good luck....

**Need some more advice from you guys **
My wife is having her citizenship oath ceremony on April 30th. she is planning to change her name on this day. so she will get her Naturalization certificate with new name.
Now i have all documents and forms ( I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131) ready which i am going to submit for my Green card. i am just waiting for her Naturalization certificate.

Now my Question is whatever supporting documents i have for (I-130, I-485 ,I-765, I-131) has my wife old name and her Nauralization certificate going to have her new name ( they also gonna give her Name change Court Authorzied Letter).

Is this gonna create any problem when i will submit my AOS application to USCIS ?? should i change her name on all documents which is kind of imposible ?? do i need to put her new name on all forms( I-485/ I-130) ??

Punjabi1

No, you don't need to notarize anything. Many years ago, more than 10 years ago, USCIS used to ask notarized copies but not anymore. But if you do want to send notarized copies to USCIS then you can do so but it's not a requirement. If you want to notarize any document free of charge then you can go to the bank where you have an account. They always have a notary who will do it free of charge for you, or you may get this done at most big hotels across the country if you are staying with them as they always have a notary there but make sure to check their rate...some provide this service free of charge while others charge some fee for this. But it's obsolutely free at bank for sure.

Good luck.

PunjabDaPuttar:: thanks for your Response. you are really being a great help. couple of more questions to ask you.

1. with I-130 Package, do i need to submit notarized copy of Marraige certificate, notarized copy of sponsor Birth Certificate and Notarized copy of Immigrant Birth certificate, Notarized copy of Sponsor Naturalization certificate??? do i really need to notarized them or i just send copies.

2. same with I-485 Package, do i need to send Notarized copy of Marraige certificate,Notarized copy of Sponsor Birth Certificate, Notarized copy of Immigrant Birth certificate??

Punjabi1

The A# on EAD is not an Alien number. It's just a tracking number for EAD. Thus, you need to write NONE wherever it's asking for your Alien number unless you do have alien number by virtue of filing any immigration paper in the past.

PunjabDaPuttar:: i am concurrently filing I-130, I-485, I-765,I-131.

I have one question on A# ( Alien Registration Number).
I was on F1 visa before. so i have one expired EAD card which i got during my OPT in 2005. this card has a A#.
so should i put this A# on all forms( I-485,I-130,I-765,I-131) or leave it blank.???

Punjabi1

If your wife's individual income is enough as per the poverty guideline then she must need to submit W-2s and paystubs to prove her individual income since the tax returns filed by you guys are joint. Thus, she needs to prove and separate her own income by W-2s and paystubs. And yes, her income can be figured out by her W-2s.

:: I have little problem filling up Part 5- Question19 of I-864 EZ form.
Q19:: Sponsor (adjusted gross income on IRS Form 1040EZ) as reported on my Federal tax returns for the most recent three years was:

Tax Year Total Income
2008 $$
2007 $$
2006 $$

since my wife( sponsor) and i filed joint taxes, therefore IRS form 1040EZ shows our combined income. Now here in Q19 , do i need to fill up our joint income as shows on IRS Tax Return or just her income for last 3 years. I can calculate only my wife income from her W2's.

this is the link of I-864EZ form :: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864EZ.pdf

YES, you can re-submit the same documents after correcting the error. Why USCIS rejected your package at first place?

Hello,
I recently became a US citizen and I applied for my wife who is in the US on a student (F1) visa. The package that I submitted to Chicago service center included G325 for my wife and another for myself, I-485, I765, I-130, I-131, and the medical records.

I would like to know whether I can re-sumbit the same documents such as taxes, copies of her I-94, Marriage certificate, and the applications after correcting the error or do I have to make new copies of everything.

Hi, I am trying to file for a GC through my husband, who is a US born citizen.
I came in the US as a J-1 student in 1998 (2 year rule did not apply), changed to F-1 and then to H-1B(my current status).
My husband and I got married in December 2008. I consulted with a lawyer, and he said my case is straight forward but he wanted himself just as much money as it would cost to file the paperwork, so instead of paying double we are trying to file ourselves.
A have a couple of questions.

I-130. Question 14. If your relative is currently in the U.S., complete the following:He or she arrived as a:
(visitor, student, stowaway, without inspection, etc.)
Arrival/Departure Record (I-94) Date arrived
Date authorized stay expired, or will expire, as shown on Form I-94 or I-95

Do I put here my original J-1 information or my current H1-B I-94 information and expiration date and the last date I reentered the US in 2007 ?

I-864EZ. I guess we can fill this out because my husband qualifies. My question is on the income for the last 3 years. His income for 2007 is way above the poverty level, but his 2006 and 2005 is not because he was still a student then. Is this an issue?

We have a good income now, even for 2008, even though we have not filed our taxes yet an a good savings account.

Should we include his tax returns for 2005 and 2006 or just the 2007 are sufficient.

Thank you so much in advance. K

You need to put J-1 status to the question as to the status you last arrived in the United Status.

And no, your husband to have no income for the year of 2006 and 2007 wouldn't be a problem at all. But he must need to write a separate letter with Form I-864 stating that he had no income as he was a student. Thus, income tax returns weren't filed for those two years. Besides, USCIS focuses more on the current income for this form purose than the past income. Income tax return for the year 2007 along with curren proof of income like tax returns (if already filed the returns for 2008) or paystubs and employment letter would do the trick...

Good luck

Hello everybody,
While filling I-864, Affidavit of Support, can foreign alien sponsor himself/herself if he or she is the only one making money in the household?:confused:
Thank you for your answers in advance.

The income of intending immigrant (alien) can be used for the purpose of I-864 so long income is generated from a lawful employment...What it means is- alien/intending immigrant must have some valid visa (like EAD, H1-b, LI, etc).

my husband is the petitioner for me. form I-130 part 14. "if your relative is currently in usa...." im very confused.. should i put the info about myself? if yes, i came as j-1 changed to b-2 so the expiration date should be the second?

and one more question what is the difference b/w out of stay and overstay?
i had J-1 visa, changed to B-2, tried to change again but the case was denied..so what should i put about my status???

my husband is the petitioner for me. form I-130 part 14. "if your relative is currently in usa...." im very confused.. should i put the info about myself? if yes, i came as j-1 changed to b-2 so the expiration date should be the second?

and one more question what is the difference b/w out of stay and overstay?
i had J-1 visa, changed to B-2, tried to change again but the case was denied..so what should i put about my status???

To answer question number 14 on Form I-130, you MUST need to write J-1 as the status you arrived last time in the United States.

Out of Stay and overstaying is the same thing.

As for your current status, then you don't have any status because you are out-of status being overstaying here and being illegal here. So, as to the question where it's asked your Current Status then you should write-Adjusting Status..

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
THANK YOU for the answer !! then i guess i have one more question about I864.

my husband has 3 kids (under 21) from previous marriage, they are not in his last tax return,(but they were in 2007 filed jointly with his ex wife) and he pays child support. so should i count them in household size in form 864?

in the instructions it says: "Enter the number of unmarried children you have who are under age 21, even if you do not have legal custody of these children. You may EXCLUDE any unmarried children under 21, if these children have reached majority under the law of their place of domicile and you do not claim them as dependents on your income tax returns"

im confused,,,

Exclusion of children under 21 is permitted in VERY rare situations which have to do mostly with local laws of the State than federal laws. Otherwise, children under 21 yrs old are ALWAYS included as dependent FOR THE PURPOSE OF I-864 even if other spouse has a full custody of the children or children live away in another place/house/state or are not included in tax returns as dependent. That being said, your husband's 3 kids are indeed his dependent and a size of his household for the purpose of I-864.

THANK YOU for the answer !! then i guess i have one more question about I864.

my husband has 3 kids (under 21) from previous marriage, they are not in his last tax return,(but they were in 2007 filed jointly with his ex wife) and he pays child support. so should i count them in household size in form 864?

in the instructions it says: "Enter the number of unmarried children you have who are under age 21, even if you do not have legal custody of these children. You may EXCLUDE any unmarried children under 21, if these children have reached majority under the law of their place of domicile and you do not claim them as dependents on your income tax returns"

im confused,,,

Me (OPT on F-1 visa) and my husband (GC holder) knew each other for over 2 years. We just got married last week. we didn't have any witnesses, excepting the justice of peace. We didn't hold the wedding ceremony, but we probably have it later next year back in my home country. We don't even have a ring. We are going to file all forms for AOS after my husband becoming USC, which probably in next week. My questions are-

- Next week my husband has tan interview for USC. In case everything's going well and the case's approved, can he take an oath and get the naturalization certificate on that day?

- In case he got the certificate on that day, can i just submit all forms to apply for AOS right away after he becomes USC? Does it look suspicious because we just got married not over a month and also no wedding ceremony?

- The real reason we got married so soon and didn't held the ceremony is because my husband just want me to be able to stay in the US legally after my OPT will expire in OCT 09, and we will open a business together. However, we really love each other and this is not the fake marriage but just sooner than we expected because of the visa status. Should we tell the truth about this when we go to the interview (for my GC)? Because we don't have any pictures of the wedding to show them.

- From now until my GC interview date, what should we do and get prepare for the interview (exp; take a lot of our pics, ...)?

Really need suggestions pls..Thanks a lot.

Oh Dear, so good to be back on this forum.
This is the best thing that happen to me while applying for my Green card.
Listen guys, if you are about to apply, just applied or just waiting, stick to this site and I promise you you will not go sucidal....lol.
This forum will walk with you all the way through.

I-693 - Medical Examination and Vaccination Record

If I'm applying for AOS and currently reside in the United States, will I still need to send form I-693 (Medical Exam) with my form I-485?

1) In case he got the certificate on that day, can i just submit all forms to apply for AOS right away after he becomes USC? Does it look suspicious because we just got married not over a month and also no wedding ceremony?

2) Should we tell the truth about this when we go to the interview (for my GC)? Because we don't have any pictures of the wedding to show them.

3) From now until my GC interview date, what should we do and get prepare for the interview (exp; take a lot of our pics, ...)?

1) If you are already married then it won't look suspicious that you applied so soon after he becomes a USC. Although there is no rush as you still have legal status until Oct.

2) I am in the same situation. We got married in court on short notice. We will be having a reception party before our interview to have photos celebrating our wedding. I suggest you have a small party so you have SOME evidence of a celebration with friends and family.

3) While waiting for the interview you should takes pics, get a joint bank account, get a joint property agreement, letters from friends, neighbours and family confirming your marriage etc.

Of Course

If I'm applying for AOS and currently reside in the United States, will I still need to send form I-693 (Medical Exam) with my form I-485?

You will needto submit your medicals with I-485; although you can submit I-485 without medicals and then respond to the RFE later.