How to Apply for a Green Card- Do it Yourself

hi everyone,

As you can see I just submitted my application for AOS last monday and I just realized that in part 2 of form I-485 I checked the 1st box which states "an immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa number That has been approved" instead of checking the 'h' box and state my reason for eligibility which I did not. I concurrently submitted along the I-130 form from my USC husband with my I-485. So i checked the wrong box.

Do you think USCIS will reject my application? or will this affect my petition BIG time?
Please lemme know if you have any idea on this.

Thanks alot!

Hi everyone,

I just received a rejection notice for my 1-485 application packet. I had filed this along with the I-130 petition from my wife, a U.S. citizen. The rejection stated:

The following documents may be provided:

Your original Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) if you are filing concurrently, or

I don't know what to do now. The I-130 application was also returned, without a reason but with the I-797C. I have the following questions:

On Part 2 of Form I-485,
I chose (a). But I did not attach a copy of the I-130 application because the I-130 application with the required documents had been concurrently filed and mailed in the same packet.

Should I have attached a copy of the I-130 here with the I-485 application, as well as the separate cover letter/I-130/photos/ sent in the same packet?

Should I have selected (h) and explicitly written out that a form I-130 had been filed by my US Citizen wife along with this application packet?

thanks

PVJ

Oh my, I'm sorry to hear that, PVJ.. I also checked box A on my I485 which I filed along with I130 also. I read from the other thread that we should check A if filing along with form I130. what were the documents you provided along with your I485 exactly?

Hi, so the forms that I sent were in this order:

I) I-130 application filed by my wife, containing
I-130 form
Check
G-325A
Photo
U.S. Birth Certificate for wife
Evidence of marriage documents

II) I-485 application filed concurrently by me, containing:

I-485 form
check
My Birth Certificate
Passport page, Visa copies
Passport photographs
I-693
Form G-325A
I-864
I-765

I hope you have better luck.

Prakrit

I passed the same thing except for the medical records because I just started my immunization. But I will let my husband give USCIS a call as soon as I receive my reciepts bec my husband is in the military and will soon be deployed overseas. The thread that I read that we should check box A is "B2 to AOS". take a look at it.

Thanks! hope u resolve yours asap.

P.S.

Did u pass G325A as well for your USC wife in form I130?
You should.

i130 or i134?

Hi all,

I m a bit confused.
I m currently on H1-B working as a consutant in US and married a USC.
I currently filling out paperwork to change to GC.
On the USCIS website for green card forms it lists the i-134 but perusing this site all i see are mentioned of form i130.

Can anybody let me know exactly all the documents that i need to fill out?

Many thanks

filling form i130?

Hello all,

I m currently filling form i 130 and i m a bit confused.

I m currently in the US on H1 and applying for adjustment of status after marriage to USC.

Could anybody help shed some lights on a few questions?

Question 14/ Second part:
Arrival/Departure record i94
What should i put in this section?

Question 18:

Adress in the US where your relative intends to live?
What should i put htere if i m alrady in the US?

Question 19:

Your relative's adress abroad.
Should i put anything there?
I havent been back home in almost 12 years and i my parents no longer live there...

Question 21:

If filing for your husband/wife please give the last adress that you lived at?
Is that our current adress?

Question 22:
Your relative is in the United States and will apply for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident at the USCIS office in:

What should i put htere?

Many thanks

i765 quick question

I m currently on H1 B and applying for adjustment of status and EAD after marriage to USC.

On form I765 first question should i check :

I am applying for:

Permission to accept employment or renewal of my permission to accept employment?

Please advise

Thanks

Do you think USCIS will reject my application? or will this affect my petition BIG time?

Your application will be denied for the same reasons as PV.
If you are lucky enough to get a nice IO they may just changed that answer on your form as it will be obviously that you have not previously filed an I-130.

Should I have attached a copy of the I-130 here with the I-485 application, as well as the separate cover letter/I-130/photos/ sent in the same packet?

Should I have selected (h) and explicitly written out that a form I-130 had been filed by my US Citizen wife along with this application packet?

Yes and Yes.
You need to send in a new package. Select option H and write "concurrently filed I-130"

On the USCIS website for green card forms it lists the i-134 but perusing this site all i see are mentioned of form i130.

Can anybody let me know exactly all the documents that i need to fill out?

It's I-864 not 134.
See page 1 of this thread for all the details.

1) Question 14/ Second part:
Arrival/Departure record i94
What should i put in this section?

Question 18:
2) Adress in the US where your relative intends to live?
What should i put htere if i m alrady in the US?

Question 19:
3) Your relative's adress abroad.
Should i put anything there?
I havent been back home in almost 12 years and i my parents no longer live there...

Question 21:
4) If filing for your husband/wife please give the last adress that you lived at?
Is that our current adress?

Question 22:
5) Your relative is in the United States and will apply for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident at the USCIS office in:
What should i put htere?

1) The dates on your i-94 (White card stapled in your passport)
2) Where you live now then
3) Put a relatives address. I used my sister's.
4) Yes
5) Your nearest immigration office. Find yours HERE

I m currently on H1 B and applying for adjustment of status and EAD after marriage to USC.

On form I765 first question should i check :

I am applying for:

Permission to accept employment or renewal of my permission to accept employment?

Please advise

Thanks

Permission to accept.
It's not renewal because H1B is different to EAD.

Hi,
I am filling out all the forms required for the AOS (came here on K1), just want to know which family name should i use in all the forms? should i use my "last name" when i was single? of my husband's last name now?

I havent changed my name in my passport yet.

would appreciate any response. thanks!

When you filed a marriage license petition/application in the US to get married, did you mention there to be adopting/having your husband's last name as your last name? If so, then does the marriage certificate indicate your last name as same as your husband's last name? In US, whenever a woman marries, she always has an option to adopt her husband's last name as hers.

If you have done so then you must need to use your husband's last name as yours even though your last name on your passport is different. Just write a simple note on a piece of paper indicating to them that your last name has changed by virtue of you being married. Just attach your marriage certificate along with this letter. USCIS knows that most women's last name does change after being married, which will not match with other documents like passport, DL and other govt. documents. Nothing to worry about it.

However, if you have not asked to change your last name on marriage license application, and the marriage certificate doesn't show anything about you adopting your husband's last name as your new last name then you can choose to file paperworks with your own last name. A lot of women don't change their last name even after being married because of tons of hassle involved in changing the name on everything. Either way it would be fine.

Good luck...

Hi,
I am filling out all the forms required for the AOS (came here on K1), just want to know which family name should i use in all the forms? should i use my "last name" when i was single? of my husband's last name now?

I havent changed my name in my passport yet.

would appreciate any response. thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Johnny Cash, thanks so much for your quick reply. Yes i did indicate in the marriage license that i will use my hubby's last name, and it was indicated too in the marriage certificate. Better use it now, so all i need to change later is my passport name.

thanks so much again!

Thanks a lot born in the RSA.

I have some more question on i 765

question 11:
Have you ever applied for employment authorization from USCIS?

I m currently on H1-B should i write yes or no?

Also for question 16 for i765:
What should the eligibility code be from somebody married to USC?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Hi Jonnycash, another clarification pls...the 90-day given to me by the immigration (K-1 visa), does it mean that we have to file for the AOS too w/in that period? We got married w/in that period but we have not filed yet as we are still saving for the fee. What happens if we file after the 90-day period?

Thanks so much!

Answers in red.

Thanks a lot born in the RSA.

I have some more question on i 765

question 11:
Have you ever applied for employment authorization from USCIS?

I m currently on H1-B should i write yes or no?
No.

Also for question 16 for i765:
What should the eligibility code be from somebody married to USC?
c19 I think. Check the instructions.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Hi Jonnycash, another clarification pls...the 90-day given to me by the immigration (K-1 visa), does it mean that we have to file for the AOS too w/in that period? We got married w/in that period but we have not filed yet as we are still saving for the fee. What happens if we file after the 90-day period?

Thanks so much!

So long you are married within 90 days after arriving into the US on K-1 visa, it doesn't matter when you file for AOS. Many people file for AOS after a very long time. However, one should always file AOS as soon as possible because being married with a US citizen alone doesn't mean one is legally allowed to stay in the country nor it will protect them from deportation if someone comes in contact with USCIS and local enforcement agencies for any reason. Besides, marriages do get failed over the time, sadly and unfortunately, it's a true fact.

So long you are married within 90 days after arriving into the US on K-1 visa, it doesn't matter when you file for AOS. Many people file for AOS after a very long time. However, one should always file AOS as soon as possible because being married with a US citizen alone doesn't mean one is legally allowed to stay in the country nor it will protect them from deportation if someone comes in contact with USCIS and local enforcement agencies for any reason. Besides, marriages do get failed over the time, sadly and unfortunately, it's a true fact.

Thanks for the clarification! I really appreciate it.

Hi Everyone,
This is my second time applying for AOS to adjust to LPR from F1 (overstay).
I applied for I-130/485 based in marriage to USC but the I-130 got denied for failure to appear for interview. Was not able to re-apply because we parted ways with then wife and got divorced. We had used a lawyer and have all the denial letters and A# issued to me at that time.

Fast forward to present...
Second marriage but to LPR/assylum who can apply for I-400 on 12/16/09 based on five years physical presence in the U.S.
We have lived together for 2.5 yrs and been married for five months.

I spoke to a lawyer who said we can file forms I-400,130,485 together at the same time even though she will probably become a citizen in three months or so after we file.

I have searched the forums but cant find a similar case.

Do we have to file the I-400 first, get approval then file the I-130/485?

Or is it correct that we can also include the I-130/485 ?

If so what is the qualifying section for the I-485 since she wont be a citizen at the time of filing?

Thanks.

Its not I400 its N400 if your spouse is planning to file for naturalization.

She needs to be a USC first before she can file AOS for you.

But she can file the I130 now but in which it'll take longer to approve coz shes still a LPR now.

It would be best if you'll file I130 and I485 together when your spouse becomes a USC.

Which option is better?

Hi
I became a US Citizen just one month back and i would like to apply GC for my mom. which option is better

1) bring her here on visiting visa and then apply while she is here or
2) apply GC and bring her here after approval?

if she is in india, Finger prints and all will be taken in india? or do they take finger prints at the time of approval?

if i apply while she is here would it be better?

can we apply I-130, I-485 and I-131 all together at the same time?

Phone upgrade of I-130

when I became a US Citizen, I tried to do a phone upgrade for the I-130 filed on behalf of my wife when I was an LPR. I received this email from CRIS. I have already filed the I-485 with a copy of the I-130 approval notice. Does anyone have similar experience with upgrading I-130? Is a phone/fax upgrade really needed or can I assume that my I-130 will be automatically upgraded based on the comments in cover letter about this in the I-485 package?

Type of service requested:
-- Upgrade I-130

The status of this service request is:

The California Service Center (CSC) no longer has jurisdiction over this petition. This case was approved and notification was mailed to the address of record on April 10, 2009 and was not returned by the post office as undeliverable. This case has been forwarded to the National Visa Center. Please send any further correspondence to the following address: NVC, 32 Rochester Avenue, Portsmouth, NH 03801-2909. Direct any telephonic inquiries to (603) 334-0700. ...