How long to change job after GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoeF said:
blah blah blah

JoeF the blabbering Joker at it again..

Truth be told - Getting GC is the freedom to work for any employer you choose. You get the GC, you have all freedom to change employer, the very next day.

JoeF, don't misinform people about AR-11. Before AR-11 was enforced, the Government made announcements saying it is now essential to submit AR-11 when changing residence. Before AR-11 enforcement, the Government did not have a defined mechanism to handle AR-11 forms, and those forms were routinely discarded.

JoeF the Blabbering Joker, there is a law in Idaho today, that makes it illegal for a man to give his sweetheart a box of candy weighing less than 50 lb in weight. JoeF as a girl in Idaho could make hell-a lot of money by collecting candies.

I admire JoeF's persistence. He has been proven wrong on the "quiting employer immediately after getting GC issue". In spite of that, he continues to scare people with his ignorance of the issue. When asked to show solid reasons for his arguement, he will use hazy concepts such as "common sense" and definition of intent to work. JoeF, You been proven wrong on this, read my posts in this thread to learn the reasons why I said there is no issue with quiting employer soon after getting GC. Some times, arogance that you exhibit helps no one. That's why you are being titled JoeF the blabbering Joker. :)

----------------------------
Vote Bush '04

poor joef...... he is never going to learn that every1 laughs at him & his arrogance........ his posts are useless on any topic..... ignore joef...... thx.

VaniSundaram said:
poor joef...... he is never going to learn that every1 laughs at him & his arrogance........ his posts are useless on any topic..... ignore joef...... thx.

I can not judge whether JoeF's post is useless or not. but i must say that his posts really scared me: after getting GC, i can not change employer soon, i can not get a promotion soon, i can not change my job duty soon, and i can not get my salary increased soon ... if i do, i will be hostaged by the CIS in the rest of my life: my GC can be revoked when i renew my GC, when I enter the US using that lovely card, and when I apply for the citizenship ... i wish i had never read his post so that i would be like most other fools who never realize that this is an issue and enjoy their GC in the rest of their life instead of being scared and hostaged (not by CIS but by the fear) in the rest of my life.

JoeF said:
It is all just common sense. You essentially have a contract with the government: they gave you a GC, and in return you agreed to work for the sponsoring employer.

Oh really? Now you have a CONTRACT with the Government? JoeF, you crack me up baby. How much more further would you go to scare people?

JoeF, the circus called. They are missing a Joker. Report to duty, you blabbering Joker.

Vote Bush '04

JoeF said:
And if my "paranoia" prevents one person from being deported sometime in the future, I would feel pretty good about that. How good would you sleep if somebody gets deported because the person followed your thought of "USCIS is far tooooo busy"?

Actually, I will sleep perfectly fine.
A lot of these so-called immigration laws are totally subjective. You had claimed yourself in a previous post that it all depends on the officer in charge of your case.

e.g. AC21. Is there anyone out there who can claim 100% that its safe to use AC21 to switch jobs while your 485 is pending? How about when your I140 is pending. Sure a service center or two can claim they are *interpreting* it to mean this or that, but it can all be challenged otherwise.

This is not dissimilar to other choices you make in life. You can choose to have a stable job (whatever that means) with a big corporation, or you could have choosen to join Google when it was a fledgling company with 10 employees. For every choice you make, there is an upside and a downside.

I claim again, it is oxymoronic of the USCIS to claim that the GC gives you freedoms to work for anyone, yet it really doesn't. Any halfway decent immigration lawyer can prove your intentions using a host of reasons (see my earlier post).

Sure the USCIS can make you a poster child to enforce their policies, but again, that's highly unlikely to happen. And who knows, if it does happen 5 years from now, maybe the choices you made (like joining a co. like Google instead of staying with your old employer) will make this whole discussion mute.

I know a few people working at Google now who wouldn't care a damn if the USCIS revoked their GC.

So, if the rewards far outweigh the risks, do it NOW. However, if it is a lateral move with a similar company, might as well stick around for a couple of months to demonstrate your intent. A couple of months will not kill you.

And for God's sake, take that damn promotion from your current employer. It must be the dumbest thing I have heard today (fear not, there will be others).
More money = more taxes = its good for the government that you earn a lot of money. I doubt they will persecute you for it.

p.s. I hope the good folks at this site are tech savvy enough to not waste hard drive space on this thread....

It could be not most up-to-date information but I don't think it is unwise to be in a strong position with some evidences to prove USCIS your intention to stay "permanent" with your sponsoring employer "just in case" USCIS would question that down the road after you have got your PR and decided to change the employer.

From http://www.immihelp.com/gc/employment/greencard.html#Benefits_GC :

"In today's dynamic market, many people want to know how long does an employee who receives employment based greencard needs to work for the same employer after getting he greencard. There is no precise answer to this question. The law say that if the employee left within 2 years, the employee has burden to prove that he/she accepted the job offer in good faith and didn't intend to leave at the time of accepting permanent residentship. If it is more than 2 years, the burden comes to USCIS to prove that. The theory behind greencard through offer of employment is that an employee is accepting a job on a "permanent" basis. But "permanent" obviously does not mean for ever as it does not make sense. But it also does not mean that the person leaves the company the day he/she gets green card. Each case would be different depending upon employee-employer relationship. But in general, staying with the same company for about 6 months to 1 year should be enough indication of permanency. "Permanent" means that, at the time the employee becomes a lawful permanent resident, neither the employer nor the employee have any plans to change the employment relationship described in the labor certification or I-140 petition. If you leave too soon, USCIS may claim that you did not intend to take the job up on a "permanent" basis. If the employer(or even a jealous co-worker)is dissatisfied with yourself leaving too soon, they can file a complaint with USCIS and USCIS may either take any action or not depending upon the circumstances. USCIS also may find about yourself leaving too soon while later applying for Citizenship or petitioning for relatives.

If USCIS finds out that the employee was just waiting for his/her immigration to be complete before jumping to a new job, then they are likely to charge fraud. If, on the other hand, it appears that the employee really did intend to stay with the petitioning employer indefinitely at the time of immigrating, but a legitimate reason later developed for leaving(like employer's business took an unexpected downturn and the employer had to lay off workers), then there should be no problem.

Even if the employer does not mind employee leaving immediately after getting the green card, it is not OK for USCIS. Both employer and employee should have good faith to have that employer/employee relationship on a "permanent" basis."

=================
I am just one of you...

Joef,

A contract with the government?

Remember, you have been granted permanent resident status. Based on information provided by you and your employer, the government deemed you eligible to immigrate to the USA. The moment the adjudicator put the stamp on your I485 you became an immigrant. Case closed.

What happens next is a matter of your conscience. There is no contract.

gb111 said:
Actually, I will sleep perfectly fine.
A lot of these so-called immigration laws are totally subjective. You had claimed yourself in a previous post that it all depends on the officer in charge of your case.

e.g. AC21. Is there anyone out there who can claim 100% that its safe to use AC21 to switch jobs while your 485 is pending? How about when your I140 is pending. Sure a service center or two can claim they are *interpreting* it to mean this or that, but it can all be challenged otherwise.

This is not dissimilar to other choices you make in life. You can choose to have a stable job (whatever that means) with a big corporation, or you could have choosen to join Google when it was a fledgling company with 10 employees. For every choice you make, there is an upside and a downside.

I claim again, it is oxymoronic of the USCIS to claim that the GC gives you freedoms to work for anyone, yet it really doesn't. Any halfway decent immigration lawyer can prove your intentions using a host of reasons (see my earlier post).

Sure the USCIS can make you a poster child to enforce their policies, but again, that's highly unlikely to happen. And who knows, if it does happen 5 years from now, maybe the choices you made (like joining a co. like Google instead of staying with your old employer) will make this whole discussion mute.

I know a few people working at Google now who wouldn't care a damn if the USCIS revoked their GC.

So, if the rewards far outweigh the risks, do it NOW. However, if it is a lateral move with a similar company, might as well stick around for a couple of months to demonstrate your intent. A couple of months will not kill you.

And for God's sake, take that damn promotion from your current employer. It must be the dumbest thing I have heard today (fear not, there will be others).
More money = more taxes = its good for the government that you earn a lot of money. I doubt they will persecute you for it.

p.s. I hope the good folks at this site are tech savvy enough to not waste hard drive space on this thread....

It usually takes 1-2 years for the company to file your application. it takes another 5-6 years to actually get the card. now you are trying to tell me that it takes another 2 years to secure the card. so total = 2 + 6 + 2 = 10 years without change of employer. buddy, how many 10 years do you have in your life?

Guys and Gals,
Please back up your claims with some real reference/logic if you can. I would like some information . I am thinking of changing position with in the same company (similar job, different group) --and just got approved the AP.
I applied for the job before the approval. Is there any implication?

gorf said:
Joef,

A contract with the government?

Remember, you have been granted permanent resident status. Based on information provided by you and your employer, the government deemed you eligible to immigrate to the USA. The moment the adjudicator put the stamp on your I485 you became an immigrant. Case closed.

What happens next is a matter of your conscience. There is no contract.

If you read JoeF's post carefully, he never mentions USA or United States anywhere. Maybe JoeF is speaking about immigration and Green Card in Botswana or Zimbabwe.

Based on US immigration policies, GC means you are permanent resident, which means you could work for the same employer, work for another employer or not work at all. It is your choice.

Vote Bush '04

JoeF,
I meant to say my GC got aprroved and I am trying to move to a different group within the same company. I applied for the job before the the aproval and I have not received a offer yet (I might or might not). I am trying to find out if there are any implications.

BTW, for member dsfgh100 -- you are just rude . If you cannot be useful please stop being abusive. All your mails are very abusive to JoeF . Please find another place to vent your anger. If you disagree please give some references/logic .
You want vote Bush -- good for you -- I wish I could vote.

redsword said:
JoeF,
I meant to say my GC got aprroved and I am trying to move to a different group within the same company. I applied for the job before the the aproval and I have not received a offer yet (I might or might not). I am trying to find out if there are any implications.

BTW, for member dsfgh100 -- you are just rude . If you cannot be useful please stop being abusive. All your mails are very abusive to JoeF . Please find another place to vent your anger. If you disagree please give some references/logic .
You want vote Bush -- good for you -- I wish I could vote.

redsworth, I hope you become US citizen, and you would be a responsible citizen. In the mean time, learn to respect free speech. We are free to opinions, and rudeness is not one-sided. Make sure you read the rude messages from JoeF and others, and preach them.

In the mean time, consider the following facts,
JoeF is not a legal expert. He is software programmer from India.
JoeF is not US citizen.
JoeF has no first hand experience with things he talks about. His information is often misleading, and plain wrong.

Hope this clarifies the reasons to keep check on JoeF the blabbering Joker.

Vote Bush '04

We know that there are/may be cases where CIS successfully revoked a persons GC for switching jobs too quickly. Are there any ideas on how we could find out and review some case studies? This topic is very popular and it would be interesting to see the results from some judgements. Would FOIA apply to getting information (or any other law). Maybe AILA has some examples. Any information would be welcome.

sadiq

ag28 said:
Reference: This is from cis website.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm

this sheds more light on your questions.

Thanks for the link. This should draw the curtains to this discussion. First of all, it is official information and secondly it explicitly says that the rights mentioned there are applicable for all types of permanent residents, including employment based. It very clearly says that once you become a PR, then there are no more sub categories (like employment based PR, family based PR etc).

Rights
To live permanently in the United States provided you do not commit any actions that would make you removable (deportable) under the immigration law (section 237, Immigration and Nationality Act).
To be employed in the United States at any legal work of your qualification and choosing.
To be protected by all of the laws of the United States, your state of residence and local jurisdictions.
To vote in local elections where United States Citizenship is not required. Click here for more details on voting.
Exceptions
Some jobs will be limited to United States Citizens because of security concerns.
You may not vote in elections limited to United States Citizens. Click here for more details on voting.

Dsfgh100,

Well, maybe JoeF is thinking of the GDR (German Democratic Republic) they believed in them contracts. :)

VOTE BUSH 2004

dsfgh100 said:
JoeF is not a legal expert. He is software programmer from India.
JoeF is not US citizen.
JoeF has no first hand experience with things he talks about. His information is often misleading, and plain wrong.

Hope this clarifies the reasons to keep check on JoeF the blabbering Joker.

Vote Bush '04

I'm just curious about your qualifications on this subject, dsfgh100....
No one is claiming to be a lawyer or legal expert on this board. What does it matter if he is a software engineer from India or a U.S. citizen for that matter? Does that make him less qualified than you? I have had issues (and voiced them) with his overbearing and intimidating (to some) opinions in the past, but your attacks are just juvenile. Who's to say your opinions are not wrong? Are you a lawyer?

And while you are adamant on keeping a check on JoeF, who will keep a check on you? After all, you do want to vote for a chimpanzee for president, correct? Why bring your political propaganda into an immigration forum?

You say "JoeF is no U.S. citizen". So? What exactly is your point here? You think U.S. citizens know more about immigration legalities? Shows how much you know, monkey boy.... I guess its true what they say: It takes one to vote for one.... :D

Joef do you have a life? Because no one can post this much stuff and have healthy social interaction with other human beings.

This, perhaps, explains your way of arguing. Lack of social skills.

Plonk

Status
Not open for further replies.