How long to change job after GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
FunnyWait said:
I told him. Now can you stop ?

this is how JoeF vents his frustrations:

he accused me (and you/zhu/others) of being an anti-immigrant because I didn't condone his arbitrary 6-mnth rule of thumb and claimed it was unnecessary and overly cautious.

he accused me (and you/zhu/others) of committing fraud to obtain my GC, even though I personally have now been with my GC-sponsoring employer for close to 6 years. I happen to like my job and am well paid.

he claimed that i wasn't a people-person because i disagreed with him (HA!)

he claimed you/others have too much time on your hands to research his previous posts (HA!)

he keeps bringing up things out of context, yet accuses others of doing the same.

the guy makes up stories and insults people to vent his anger. However, he cries foul when others accuse him of the same.

His 5600+ posts have a hidden agenda to intimidate people and always have the last word to say, however wrong.

See if he ever let any thread go without insulting someone if they happen to disagree with him.

Everyone else were saying that there is no LAW about staying with your sponsoring employer. He keeps stating we are violating the LAW, but refuses to answer WHAT LAW!!!

My bottom line (personal differences aside) THERE IS NO SUCH LAW!!!

I checked immigration.com's forum regarding leaving an employer after getting a GC. Here's a quote from the FAQ:

"http://www.geocities.com/ibasite2001/index.html

"Q39 What is the indication of "permanency" while working with my employer after getting my GC?.
A39 The basic premise (or theory) behind permanent residence through offer of employment is that an employee is accepting a job on a "permanent" bases.

Normally, I would say working for one year or more with the same employer after getting your GC is PROBABLY enough indication of permanency. Less than 4-5 months is perhaps evidence to the contrary But REMEMBER, this is just my own guess. Technically speaking, the moment you decide that you will leave after a certain period of time, "permanent" intent is gone. "

There's been a considerable amount of debate in this forum regarding whether or not it is ok to leave one's employer as soon as you get a green card. The law seems to indicate that one needs to stay with the sponsoring employer long enough to demonstrate "permanency." Two points :
1. How long is long enough. Conservative estimates range in the 1 year time frame.
2. Can you get away with it if you leave earlier. Probably. It's a matter of risk tolerance. The unanswered question since we don't have data is what is the risk level?

rgds,
sadiq

Status
Not open for further replies.