How long to change job after GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
FunnyWait said:
JoeF, did you tell that even promotion can cause problems ? I can't believe it. If you have said this, then I am convinced that you intent to spread fear and scare people. I would then tend to believe that you have some nasty intensions in giving the advice.

according to one of JoeF's classic posts, if you post your resume on monster.com or other job search websites before GC, you are committing an "immigration fraud", thus you are "guilty" and deportable. so in the cis document regarding deportation statistics, you will see sth. like this

reasons for deportation number(%)
------------------------------------------------------------
serious crime *(*%)
fail to stay in the US continuously *(*%)
shame marriage *(*%)
change employer after GC *(*%)
get a promotion after GC *(*%)
get a salary increase after GC *(*%)
post resume on monster.com before GC *(*%)
blah blah blah ...

Oh my god, I turn around and there are 40 more posts of idle bickering over a stale issue. The answer hasn't changed a bit.

-- there is no specific law regarding the timeframe
-- based on experience and a somewhat conservative approach, many immigration attorneys recommend a 6 month period to establish 'intent'
-- AC21 doesn't apply

(the rest of this thread is a clash of stubborn donkeys)

I still don't understand why attorneys (few) prefer this 6 month rule of thumb. As I said, its only few people (may be only one, Ms Murthy). LIke Funnywait's lawyer said there is no such rule. If there is a law or rule, I am sure these laywer's would knew already and give definite answer. Since there is no such rule or law, they play it safe and show loyal to their clients (employers)

I agree with people who wants to continue this discussion in a more positive manner. I also respect JoeF and others for their contributions. Its upto them to restrain themselves and keep this topic going.

JoeF said:
If you attack me personally, I attack back. Tit for tat.
I am not sitting here and let you guys run your despicable attacks.

It totally depends how you define attack. And you DID NOT tell the truth when you claim that ALWAYS other people attack first and then you follow. This forum has ample number of examples when you attacked FIRST. My definition of personal attack is when someone move away from subject and starts commenting about the person who posted message. "A child knows that", “educate yourself”, "get a computer science degree" - these are just small example. You will be very surprised to see some of your own postures and comments in the past (check all your postings).

Friendly advice (I am serious)
Anyone who told you to be yourself couldn't have given you worse advice. Seriously, you seem paranoid about people out to get you . You are a knowledgeable and intelligent person, but your paranoia prevents you from accepting and growing . Ever considered that .

JoeF said:
It is a complete mystery to me what this whole "loyalty to employers" thing is about. Any lawyer who would do that would get pulled in front of bar association committees. By your logic, you should never leave your employer and be loyal to him, since he pays you. You guys seem to live in some phantasy world where lawyers are the bad guys, and you are the oh so poor victims.
Lawyers have one client today, and tomorrow they could have another client on the completely opposite side. Lawyers don't become well-known and respected by catering to one side or the other. Doctors don't become well-known and respected by only doing things that the health insurer wants. Of course, there are lots of bad lawyers (and bad doctors) who somewhat cater to one side, but the good lawyers and doctors) are above that. If they were to go over to the "dark side", it would be known pretty quickly in the community, and they would lose their good standing.

JoeF said:
You have way too much time on your hands...
Don't you have anything constructive to do?

:D :D That's funny. Well, if I had too much time, I would describe you better way and more elaborately. Unfortunately I don't have.
It seems you have have too much time to get frustrated after arguing with others on same point again and again. And, then as usual you are starting personal attack. And unlike other people in this forum, it seems this forum is THE only outlet for you to express your frustrations. Too bad!
I don't know about other guys here and I don't talk for other guys here. But it's apparent that you are too desperate to prove that you are always right everybody else is always wrong. And, it's nothing unusual that you will get very angry if someone points out your own languages.

JoeF said:
Besides, taking something out of context of course is an old tactic and only shows how desperate you guys are to find something, anything, dirty about me. You'd make a good political campaign manager...

Hmmm, when you cannot deny that you used those language, you got another excuse - "out of context". You are just lowering the bar to qualify yourself. The fact is that in past you attacked people first. It's possible you don't even realize that you are attacking people and that's why you think yourself as an innocent.

BTW, a self-righteous people like you will be an effective politician (not a good one though).

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeF said:
But enough time to claim to have found whatever "incrimating" evidence. Your desperation shows...
Huh? I don't even care what you may have found. In particular, your desperate attempt of screaming "you started" is just silly.
Fact is that you guys are advocating breaking the law.

JoeF, let me give you some advices

1) it is fine to present your theory on the "intent" thing. but pls. stop scaring other people by using terms like "immigration fraud", "guilty", or "deportable" unless, of course, you can find an example that someone was deported due to the reasons that you specified (change employers, get a promotion, post their resumes on monster.com, get a salary increase ...)

2) change your arrogant and pedantic attitude. that is the reason why people don't like you, and that is the reason why nobody is on your side.

Why don't we talk only about the topic and ignore the persons ? I don't agree with the contention of some of you that you always need to give tit for tat replies. If some one makes bad comments on you, you definitely need to answer. But if the other person keeps on attacking you , then you should simply add him to your ingnore list so that you don't read the other person's crap.

JoeF said:
It is a complete mystery to me what this whole "loyalty to employers" thing is about. Any lawyer who would do that would get pulled in front of bar association committees. By your logic, you should never leave your employer and be loyal to him, since he pays you. You guys seem to live in some phantasy world where lawyers are the bad guys, and you are the oh so poor victims..
JoeF. As you said lawyers change their clients everyday. But my point here is they are loyal to their clients at that time. TOday they are loyal to employers because they pay them. In other words, if we pay and hire a lawyer they will surely be loyal to us and give us definite advice that there is no rule of thumb (like Funywait's lawyer).

dsatish said:
Why don't we talk only about the topic and ignore the persons ? I don't agree with the contention of some of you that you always need to give tit for tat replies. If some one makes bad comments on you, you definitely need to answer. But if the other person keeps on attacking you , then you should simply add him to your ingnore list so that you don't read the other person's crap.

Unfortunately, people are more interested in having personal fights rather than discussing the immigration issue in question. If this goes on, I might have to close this thread.

There is one important point that JoeF is missing here. The official answer of any agency, whether it is a law firm (like Murthy's) or USCIS, will always be on the safer side, and most often that safer side answer does not reflect the correct picture. For example, if you ask INS about how long your case takes, it will say 2 to 3 years where as most of the people get it in 1 or 2 years. Another example, when you get the stamping done, the INS official will say that you will receive the plastic card in 6 to 12 months, where as you will receive it in 1 or 2 months. The intention here is to avoid legal hassles (being sued) if some thing does not go the way it is normally expected to go.
As i said, i talked to a lawyer who does not represent my company and he said that there is no legal REQUIREMENT for me to stay with my company for a certain period. Over the last 3 to 4 years, i have seen several of my colleagues getting the GC and almost all of them have asked their lawyers about this question. The results are like 2 out of every 3 lawyers advised them to stay for 1 month and only one third of the lawyers recommeded staying for 6 months.

JoeF said:
Well, if they said 1-2 years, then the people whose cases really take 3 years will get quite pissed off. So, it is better to err on the side of caution. I have made no secret of the fact that I am being conservative in this matter.
Again, that is not and has never been the question. The issue is not any legal requirement to stay with the company for a specific period. The issue is and has always been that you have to have the good faith intent to stay with the employer at the time you become a PR. That's why I am saying that you guys are, deliberately or not, misrepresent what I have been saying all the time. Given the persistence of the misrepresentation, I have to assume that you guys deliberately misrepresent my statements.
I don't fight over the 6 months at all. It is not cast in stone, and, as I have mentioned lots of times before, just a rule of thumb. All that matters is that you can provide evidence for your intent at the time of becoming a PR. I have no idea why you are fighting that (other than that you fight me on principle...)

I am not fighting with you. I don't like fighting with any one and i am not an anonymous user. Most of the people here know my name (it is "Raju Dantuluri") and they know what type of person i am. I am only debating the topic because this topic is important for all the people who get their GC (employment based) .
I think your last post is in sync with what i also think (you just need to have enough paper work / grounds to show /answer if at all you are questioned on this issue at the time of citizenship). It's good that we share some common conclusion on this issue. :)

JoeF and others,

How about this - let's agree to disagree on this topic. We have already checked with our lawers and we have got the answers. Those of you who have not checked with your lawers yet, I would suggest you do that and get peace of mind.

JoeF said:
But enough time to claim to have found whatever "incrimating" evidence. Your desperation shows....

Well, I did not have to search all your posting. I do have something inside my head that can remember whatever I read in past. You have shown that you either don't have that one or probably small in size and that's why I advised you to read your own posts that you posted in past.

JoeF said:
Huh? I don't even care what you may have found.

That's what a self-righteous person says when it comes to her/her past history.

Let's give this topic a break for some time. We are not supposed to eat each other's brains out :cool: . Let's enjoy the freedom that GC gave us and look towards beautiful things going around.
Good Luck to all.

JoeF said:
gb111 is obviously somebody who promotes breaking the law.
And he has nothing better to do than attacking people who urge everybody to follow the law.
He obviously has gotten his GC through fraud and now is afraid that they find out...

obviously!!!
good deduction sherlok!!!

Just an FYI, I love my job so much (yup, my original GC-sponsoring job), that I have been with the same company for the last 6 years.

So, your *obvious* deductions are obviously retarded. But good job for trying anyway.

However, my wife is planning to quit her job 2 mnths after obtaining her GC. But maybe, you are correct. I am an anti-immigrant even if the immigrants in question are my own family.

Obviously you are afraid that if new GC holders switch jobs, YOU WILL LOSE YOURS, since you spend less time working and more time obsessing about your conservative scare tactics against new immigrants.

JoeF said:
Troll.
gb111 is obviously somebody who promotes breaking the law.

Paranoia-fuelling, apocryphal, casuistic anti-immigrant!
Your days of spreading fear and paranoia amongst the members of this forum are over.

To anyone who cares about the original issue:

There is NO LAW (contrary to what JoeF is claiming in his numerous posts when he accuses people of commiting fraud) that prevents you from changing jobs too soon after obtaining your permanent residence.

So change away at your heart's content if the right opportunity presents itself.

And if JoeF claims that I am promoting breaking the law, ask him WHICH LAW STATES THAT YOU CAN'T SWITCH JOBS AFTER OBTAINING YOUR GC?

His method of obtaining info is regurgitating stuff he searches on google.

THERE IS NO LAW ON THIS MATTER.
THERE IS NO FRAUD IF YOU WANT TO LEAVE YOUR EMPLOYER BECAUSE YOU FEEL EXPLOITED OR IF A BETTER OPPORTUNITY PRESENTS ITSELF. BE IT 1 DAY or 1 YEAR AFTER OBTAINING YOUR GC.

THERE IS NO FRAUD

JoeF said:
JoeF,

You really need to stop blaming and attacking people. From a senior person like you (because of your 5600+ posts), this is not expected. You seem to be out of your mind. Please pull yourself together and stop replying on this thread.

And please, do not think that I am making a personal attack on you. I am making a sincere effort to help you.

gb111 said:
YOU ARE AN ANTI-IMMIGRANT WHOSE SOLE PURPOSE ON THIS FORUM IS TO SPREAD FEAR AND PARANOIA AMONG THE IMMIGRANT COMMUNITY!!!

I don't think he/she is anti-immigrant. I don't think he/she spreads fear. In fact he is helpful in most of the threads.
Paranoid? Some way.
His/her problem is that he/she just goes to extreme to prove his/her point.

Status
Not open for further replies.