Hiring a legal representative/lawyer for naturalization

jk94

What are some possible benefits of having/hiring legal representative/lawyer for naturalization? (N-400)

All I could think of is that

1. The applicant does not fluently speak English; need help during the interview/filing process.
2. The applicant does not want to file themselves.

I am debating whether to hire a lawyer for my situation for naturalization:

- Convicted of DUI (no person was injured, no property damaged, pulled over for traffic violation) on October 2016
- Probation was terminated and the case was expunged on April 2019
- Now I would like to move on with my life naturalized

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If an applicant needs help with the n400 process, they should hire a lawyer. They are required to demonstrate a basic understanding of the written and verbal english language; that is the law! Deferring the n400 process until the applicant could learn to grasp basic english would be advisable. Renew the green card instead.

If you believe a lawyer could get you out of the legal jam posted about here and here, you're mistaken.

If an applicant needs help with the n400 process, they should hire a lawyer. They are required to demonstrate a basic understanding of the written and verbal english language; that is the law! Deferring the n400 process until the applicant could learn to grasp basic english would be advisable. Renew the green card instead.

If you believe a lawyer could get you out of the legal jam posted about here and here, you're mistaken.
Agreed!! I remember trying to answer the OP questions in previous post. When he ignored everything I said and went on to take Advice from someone Guaranteeing him Sucess with a DUI Conviction a few years old. When all I was trying to say is any Criminal Conviction lessens your chances of approval.

I'll try to answer the OP again!!!!

Go for it you may or may not be successful!! Roll of the Dice with the DUI within 5 years of the arrest.

But if you waited 5 years from the Arrest the arrest can't be held against you as you would've displayed 5 years of good MC.

Agreed!! I remember trying to answer the OP questions in previous post. When he ignored everything I said and went on to take Advice from someone Guaranteeing him Sucess with a DUI Conviction a few years old. When all I was trying to say is any Criminal Conviction lessens your chances of approval.

I'll try to answer the OP again!!!!

Go for it you may or may not be successful!! Roll of the Dice with the DUI within 5 years of the arrest.

But if you waited 5 years from the Arrest the arrest can't be held against you as you would've displayed 5 years of good MC.

Yeah, I get you but the other guy's response was more detailed with an actual experience just like my case so I followed, replied to his comment. I have taken all good care of the probational terms (terminated after serving half term and expunged the caes; I know this will not be the case when it comes to the immigration law), paid all my fines, attended all of my classes.

As I research more and more about my case, I've found out that DUI does not directly affect the GMC. The only factor that would bar you from getting the citizenship of USA is if the record indicates/shows that one is a habitual drunkard. I've actually read a couple of online forums from people that are in just like my situation and successfully naturalized.

And that is why I'm asking for advice here.

Yeah, I get you but the other guy's response was more detailed with an actual experience just like my case so I followed, replied to his comment. I have taken all good care of the probational terms (terminated after serving half term and expunged the caes; I know this will not be the case when it comes to the immigration law), paid all my fines, attended all of my classes.

As I research more and more about my case, I've found out that DUI does not directly affect the GMC. The only factor that would bar you from getting the citizenship of USA is if the record indicates/shows that one is a habitual drunkard. I've actually read a couple of online forums from people that are in just like my situation and successfully naturalized.

And that is why I'm asking for advice here.
I'm guessing his Detailed responses didn't satisfy your questions.

My n400 interview was about 70 mins long although just 20 mins into the interview he told me he's recommending me for approval. I'm not a religious person but I believe in a higher power and he was a Christian we talked about forgiveness stuff like that. Even though I got the sense he was still gathering information about me. But hey who knows!!

I've been in trouble with the law I'm not going to get into details, but I used that as an opptunity to ask him questions. His words not mine but they can deny you if you've had a Jay walking conviction and the IO sees it fit that you're not of GMC. It's all up to them. Then with Certain convictions even if they want to grant you Citizenship they need a supervisors Approval. I get what immigration rules are but let's face it we're all humans including the IO.

So with me telling you it lessens your chances that wasn't me in anyway trying to deter you from applying just wanted to give you realistic advise.

I joined this forum after I got my citizenship. The head person in that office don't know the title whether it's manager or supervisor. Shes the one that swears you in. With authority granted by the superior CourtThe Newark field office .

Her exact words were, now that you guys are citizens you should help others on the citizen path now that you've completed it. So here I am trying to help with the little that I know.

Sorry for the long Post. Good Luck

Last edited:
And the response to seeking that advice is to wait at least 5 years after the arrest to demonstrate GMC. And brush up on the english skills that are said to be lacking. Habitual drunkard or not, a DUI is on the record.

US citizenship is a privilege that comes with obligations, and not necessarily for everyone who's had a green card for a certain amount of time. Good moral conduct, before and after naturalization, is an obligation everyone needs to aspire to; n400 isn't just something to be had so that other family members overseas could be sponsored.

I'm guessing his Detailed responses didn't satisfy your questions.

My n400 interview was about 70 mins long although just 20 mins into the interview he told me he's recommending me for approval. I'm not a religious person but I believe in a higher power and he was a Christian we talked about forgiveness stuff like that. Even though I got the sense he was still gathering information about me. But hey who knows!!

I've been in trouble with the law I'm not going to get into details, but I used that as an opptunity to ask him questions. His words not mine but they can deny you if you've had a Jay walking conviction and the IO sees it fit that you're not of GMC. It's all up to them. Then with Certain convictions even if they want to grant you Citizenship they need a supervisors Approval. I get what immigration rules are but let's face it we're all humans including the IO.

So with me telling you it lessens your chances that wasn't me in anyway trying to deter you from applying just wanted to give you realistic advise.

I joined this forum after I got my citizenship. The head person in that office don't know the title whether it's manager or supervisor. Shes the one that swears you in. With authority granted by the superior CourtThe Newark field office .

Her exact words were, now that you guys are citizens you should help others on the citizen path now that you've completed it. So here I am trying to help with the little that I know.

Sorry for the long Post. Good Luck

Thank you for your feedback and reply, I appreciate it. That person had given me a satisfying replies/answers but I'm now debating whether to hire a lawyer or not. I will still move forward with my n-400 application though.

And the response to seeking that advice is to wait at least 5 years after the arrest to demonstrate GMC. And brush up on the english skills that are said to be lacking. Habitual drunkard or not, a DUI is on the record.

US citizenship is a privilege that comes with obligations, and not necessarily for everyone who's had a green card for a certain amount of time. Good moral conduct, before and after naturalization, is an obligation everyone needs to aspire to; n400 isn't just something to be had so that other family members overseas could be sponsored.

Thank you for your advice. Is my English skill not good yet? I've been in the states for more than 12 years lol.

Well, I'm hoping you are not assuming anything because all of my family members are Green card holders and am not looking forward to sponsoring anybody in the future.

Thank you for your feedback and reply, I appreciate it. That person had given me a satisfying replies/answers but I'm now debating whether to hire a lawyer or not. I will still move forward with my n-400 application though.

Sounds like, based on your comfort level with your english communication skills and the application process, you would feel more confident in having legal representation. As I said in my previous post to you, it's not necessary and I didn't do it, BUT it's a personal choice/decision. Based on the concerns you mentioned that you have, it makes sense and would seem the right thing for you to do in your situation.

Good Luck!

And waaaaaaay too funny, Jbuff is STILL butt hurt and too invested in his own opinion as his posts here show how he immiediately posts a reply to you trying to attack the advice I gave you.... sheesh what a stalker who can't get over himself!

And waaaaaaay too funny, Jbuff is STILL butt hurt and too invested in his own opinion as his posts here show how he immiediately posts a reply to you trying to attack the advice I gave you.... sheesh what a stalker who can't get over himself!

Someone who may disagree with you is not necessarily attacking you.

OP- why start yet another Naturalization thread when you had one going a few weeks ago?

Sounds like, based on your comfort level with your english communication skills and the application process, you would feel more confident in having legal representation. As I said in my previous post to you, it's not necessary and I didn't do it, BUT it's a personal choice/decision. Based on the concerns you mentioned that you have, it makes sense and would seem the right thing for you to do in your situation.

Good Luck!

I just read back the previous thread as it was posted in a link by another member!! You're a prime example of why people stay off the internet. Lol
A Stalker? Attacking you? I'm not one to judge, but based on that it's clear you have social issues. FUNNY guy or girl who ever you are.

Posts are meant to help people. Even in disagreement amongst forum members posting. The one seeking advice can still get useful information.

Countless times on this forum I've been corrected not once has it bothered me because the only reason I'm here is to try and help people.

Sounds like you're here for another reason. Don't know why nor care!!

You have a good day Sir/Maddam like I said don't know if you're a man or woman.

You're right this is waaaaay too funny. Lol