Help with Filing Form I-131

tributeblinky

Registered Users (C)
Hey everyone,

My RTD will expire soon and I want to apply for a new one. Last time I did it through my attorney, but this year, I don't see any reason why I should. It would just be a waste of money. So with the help of you guys, I am hoping to do it on my own.

Last year when I applied for the RTD, I didn't have my Green Card yet, this time, I do. So I am applying for one as a GC holder through asylum.

A few questions.

1- Can someone provide me with the full list of documents that I need to send in with the I-131 form initially? I can't seem to quite figure it out.
2- When filling out the form, if I have no answer to a question (say I have no middle name), do I leave it blank? or put in N/A or None?
3- I live in San Diego, California. Where should I file? Phoenix Lock Box?
4- What should I do if I need expedited process? Am I just supposed to write EXPEDITE on the envelope and include two Express Mailers with my application? Or provide other documents too?
5- If my previous RTD is expired, I won't have to send it in, right? Do I need to include a copy of it?
6- For Question 3 of the I-131 form, what is my class of admission? Asylee (or Asylum?)? Or does this refer to when I came to the States?
7- I am attaching G-1145 E-notification of Application Acceptance. Has anyone ever done this? What information do they send you electronically? Do they provide you with your receipt number?
8- Should I include a copy of my Green card together with my I-94? Do I need to include a copy of my asylum approval letter?

Any input would be great.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Application form, cheque, front and back copy of GC, letter explaining reason for expedite request, any evidence, if available, to prove reason for expedite request, two express/priority mail envelopes with postage if you'd like them not to use regular post
2. Either one
3. This information is all new to me, but I assume Phoenix
4. See 1, and write EXPEDITE on the envelope
5. Just write EXPIRED on the application and no need to send it in
6. Not sure what I wrote last time, but I would write LPR via Asylum or something
7. They let you know the application was accepted
8. I94 not necessary, just GC

But seriouly, the instructions are clear. Read them again.

thanks cafeconleche! :)

but seriously ;) , as you can see, there is a lot of uncertainty, even in your answers! and trust me i read the instructions, again, and again! u just can't find exact answers!

I am uncertain only because the last time I applied for a travel document was in mid-2007, and things have changed. For example, the lockboxes are new. I always applied directly to Nebraska. Plus, I don't know if you fall into one of those categories of asylees/refugees. It really is quite clear. I have applied for a travel document many times, before, and nothing went wrong. But, remember to include email and fax information on your expedite letter.

RTD. with all the countries being added to the list of visa free travel on RTD, i prefer to have that document even if it is valid for one year only.

by the way, for the class of admission, i put down LPR through Asylum. I don't know if that's right or not. and from the instructions, i kinda figured out that applicants from California are supposed send their I-131 applications to Phoenix Lock Box.

tributeblinky, I believe for class of admission, you're supposed to put down the class in which you originally came to the U.S. ( just my opinion because I had put F-1 Visa holder ) when i filed for my RTD.

Btw, where can you get 'visa free' information for RTD/RP holders?

Hi Everyone!
I'm a Fulbrighter too finishing my MS in Summer 2010. I'm planning to apply J1-waiver under asylum category. Any thoughts, previous experience, words of advise on that? I be really grateful.

ps: Is it possible to get asylum if u have a credible fear of persecution in returning to your home country (Pakistan) based on your religious views (Atheism)?

Thanks

Hi Everyone!
I'm a Fulbrighter too finishing my MS in Summer 2010. I'm planning to apply J1-waiver under asylum category. Any thoughts, previous experience, words of advise on that? I be really grateful.

ps: Is it possible to get asylum if u have a credible fear of persecution in returning to your home country (Pakistan) based on your religious views (Atheism)?

Thanks

Asylum is not a process to stay in US just because you don't find other option, unless you are a victim

Put down Permanent Resident

Thanks cafeconleche!

Just to make sure, if I am in California, I have to file it at the Phoenix Lockbox right? this is to everyone, especially anyone who has filed from California since the filing locations changes have taken place!

Thanks cafeconleche!

Just to make sure, if I am in California, I have to file it at the Phoenix Lockbox right? this is to everyone, especially anyone who has filed from California since the filing locations changes have taken place!

That is correct. I just mailed my GC application to the Phoenix Lockbox 2 days ago.

Thanks. Well I express mailed my package on Friday and it was delivered on Saturday. So far, I have not received any E-Notifications. I guess it is too soon, even though they said it takes them about 24 hours to send the E-Notifications. Also, I did request for EXPEDITED PROCESSING and sent them two Express Mailers, so I have to wait and see if they will approve my request and how fast they are going to be and what not.

tributeblinky, my mail was delivered on Thursday and I haven't received any text or email.

i sent 2 weeks ago with fee waiver request for biomatric, attached my very low 2009 tax return and proof of foodstamps. so far no e notifications even though i included that form. seems like they are going to send me back the documents for full fee!