Help!urgent!

shimmer

Registered Users (C)
Today both me and my spouse recieved the naturalization certificate at the local Atlanta office. After we got home, our child wrote the numbers "55 , 70" on my certificate at the top with a pen and wrote "700" on spouses certificate where we have to sign the document. Is this certificate useless now? Do we both now have to apply for N-565? This replacemnt seems like a pain. Anyone know what we have to do? Can we send the certificate "as is" for passport application? I really need a passport fast. Please please let me know who do i contact to get info on this? If anyone has any experience please post. urgent!!!

Just cross the numbers out, initial the crossing and sign normally. Stuff happens, it has no bearing on validity of the certificate.

BTW, would you mind posting your Atlanta timeline?

Thanks for your input eltoro. I am not sure if it is acceptable to write anything (even numbers or letters) on the original document. The social security office website quotes this" Do not write anything on your original documents. If you do not want to mail your documents, you may bring them to the Social Security office where we will examine and return them to you."

About our time line...We applied in end of march. We had finger printing done in may and today was our test and oath.

What happened cannot be reversed. Do not try to erase the writing, just cross it with one straight line and initial it. You should be fine.

Shimmer
Why take any more trouble than what you already faced in this country. Just go back to your country of origin

Has anyone have had this kind of a problem? Very worried as the replacement process.....takes very long and have to wait more than 6 months to apply for passport. I need passport fast. Can anyone with any experience/knowledge please please guide.
Thanks in advance.

Shimmer
Why take any more trouble than what you already faced in this country. Just go back to your country of origin

Seems like sound advice, given by an idiot:) and should be treated with the contempt it deserves.

Shimmer, you need to get an official view on what has happened to your certs, make an appointment at your DO and see what they say.

Has anyone have had this kind of a problem? Very worried as the replacement process.....takes very long and have to wait more than 6 months to apply for passport. I need passport fast. Can anyone with any experience/knowledge please please guide.
Thanks in advance.

I already told you twice what you can do to rectify the problem. The passport clerk at our local post office made some notes on a piece of paper that turned out to be a front face of my daughter's birth certificate. I did what I suggested above and received her passport without any issues. I don't expect naturalization certificate will be treated much differently.

You will believe what you want to believe. If you are not interested in simple, fast and inexpensive solution why don't you apply for a replacement certificate?

Shimmer, you need to get an official view on what has happened to your certs, make an appointment at your DO and see what they say.

I agree. Get an official view (DO, SSN office) and see what they suggest, I am sure they have seen such cases before.

Usually children scribble random characters. Do these number mean anything to the child or they were random? Just curious!!!

our child wrote the numbers "55 , 70" on my certificate at the top with a pen and wrote "700" on spouses certificate

Thanks eltoro for your response. Sorry I din't know you had a similar situation. I will go to post office and ask if its ok ...if i get rejected there, will apply for duplicate. Hopefully it will get through.
Thanks Jslade and McTavish for your input.

Triple citizen, The numbers were random, din't mean anything.

You people make problems out of nothing.
Do not go to post office, just call NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 explain your situation in detail and get the answer. They are the ones who issue US Passports, so ask people who have the authority and know 100% what should you do in such situations.

Shimmer

Where did that come from :confused:, Shimmer has a genuine issue w.r.t Naturalization certificate and is seeking some advise to resolve it. If you do not have any thoughts to help her, please refrain from making such comments

I went to the post office and showed the certificate. The person who was there said its ok. Just sent it "as is" he said. I just got the application. Like Serge suggested, I will call NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 tomorrow.
I was thinking may be its better to go to SSN office and see if it gets rejected (as SSn is local and we will know faster) rather than waiting for 4-5 weeks with the passport and loose a month on the process.
Yes i have learnt my lesson well ...not to keep important documents within the reach of kids.

In my opinion the certificate should not lose its validity because a child scribbled on it with a pen, as long as the important details are still visible. It reminds me of someone who had kept his passport in a bag with some chocolates in the trunk of a car in Dubai in summer. The chocolate melted and messed up the passport. But at the airport, apart from some embarrassing moments, and some amused looks, he was okay as he boarded his flight with the soiled passport.

I went to the post office and showed the certificate. The person who was there said its ok. Just sent it "as is" he said. I just got the application. Like Serge suggested, I will call NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 tomorrow.
I was thinking may be its better to go to SSN office and see if it gets rejected (as SSn is local and we will know faster) rather than waiting for 4-5 weeks with the passport and loose a month on the process.
Yes i have learnt my lesson well ...not to keep important documents within the reach of kids.

Glad to hear that in post office they think it is okay. Hopefully there won't be any problems further.
- JS.

Don't guess just call the number I provided. Clerk at the post office is the middle man in this process. You have to contact directly Department (NPIC) who issues US Passports. They are the ones who makes a decision. Hundred people can tell you that there is no problem with your Certificate, but NPIC may think otherwise or vice versa. Go to the source and I suggest when you call them ask to speak with supervisor just to make sure you don't lose time.