HELP : need to withdraw N-400 for applying too early?!

Guys,

Maybe we can all calm down for a moment here. XXH, why you are obsessed with your application, you applied too early and making an info pass isn't going to resolve one iota of your worries. First of all, the Immigration Officer who will be nice and friendly when you reach the counter, will NOT have any idea of where your application is, because you send it to a lockbox, and if it has not been entered into the system, nothing will ever be said which will help your anxiety. Immigration Officials tend to be weary of people who are anxious over a nonsensical issue like you have right now. If you applied early, then once they issue a NOA, just send a letter of withdrawal with a copy of the NOA, after they accept it and kill your application, resubmit a new one and new $675 fee.

If you don't withdraw with a false hope to just being approved at the interview without the IO noticing that you applied early, that's your prerogative. However, if I were to chose to have my balls busted in 6 months or in a a month over early application, I would chose the latter. I can live with busted $675 now, amd withdraw my application and reapply after they accept my withdrawal. This alternative might cause me 2 moths of lost time, but I am content that when I reapply I will be done within 4-6 months as opposed to losing that much time.

xxhwx,

What are you worried about if you withdraw the case, and what are you hoping for if you don't withdraw it?

Are you afraid that if you withdraw it, it will create a black mark that hurts your reapplication? Are you hoping that if you don't withdraw it, the IO will miss the mistake and approve you?

xxhwx,

What are you worried about if you withdraw the case, and what are you hoping for if you don't withdraw it?

Are you afraid that if you withdraw it, it will create a black mark that hurts your reapplication? Are you hoping that if you don't withdraw it, the IO will miss the mistake and approve you?

If I know for sure it's better to withdraw now, then I don't know how long I would have to wait to be eligible to apply again.

xxhwx,

JackOLantern --> In this case, this guy's PD and RD is within 90 days, whereas the postmarked date and the signature-date is OUTSIDE of the 90 days limit. Is that right? If so, you think he needs to withdraw although his PD and RD is within 90 days? Sorry, if I am lost, because, I think I am after revisiting a couple of other threads too. The crux of the question is, whether his PD and RD itself is OUTSIDE of 90 days and if that's not the case, would it still matter for him to withdraw?

JackOLantern --> In this case, this guy's PD and RD is within 90 days, whereas the postmarked date and the signature-date is OUTSIDE of the 90 days limit. Is that right? If so, you think he needs to withdraw although his PD and RD is within 90 days? Sorry, if I am lost, because, I think I am after revisiting a couple of other threads too. The crux of the question is, whether his PD and RD itself is OUTSIDE of 90 days and if that's not the case, would it still matter for him to withdraw?

The PD is 91 days. See post 17 of this thread.

If the PD was within 90 days, I would advise leaving it as is even if the signature or postmark date was before the 90 day mark. USCIS is not supposed to look at the signature date or postmark date for deciding whether to accept/reject. We only warn people against having the sig. date or postmrk date outside the 90-day window, because sometimes USCIS will *mistakenly* reject it on that basis before the interview. But once they make it to the interview, the interviewer is not going to reject it based on the sig date or postmark date.

The PD is 91 days. See post 17 of this thread.

If the PD was within 90 days, I would advise leaving it as is even if the signature or postmark date was before the 90 day mark. USCIS is not supposed to look at the signature date or postmark date for deciding whether to accept/reject. We only warn people against having the sig. date or postmrk date outside the 90-day window, because sometimes USCIS will *mistakenly* reject it on that basis before the interview. But once they make it to the interview, the interviewer is not going to reject it based on the sig date or postmark date.

Thanks, JackOLantern. You straightened me out, as I was getting confused after reading a couple of other situations in other fora. Thread # 17 was a good pointer. Thanks. So, you are also of the opinion that if the PD and/or RD is within 90-day window, then it's not risky.. I subscribe to that view as well because, we haven't yet seen a situation wherein the PD and/or RD was within 90-day window with mailing/postmarked/signature date being outside of 90-day window and still the application is rejected. However, I did see a couple of cases, wherein the PD/RD was 92 days outside of the anniversary and still it was rejected when the applicant was almost about to get her Oath-letter.

So, you are also of the opinion that if the PD and/or RD is within 90-day window, then it's not risky.. I subscribe to that view as well because, we haven't yet seen a situation wherein the PD and/or RD was within 90-day window with mailing/postmarked/signature date being outside of 90-day window and still the application is rejected.

I remember a couple of cases like that where it was rejected, but those rejections happened without an interview. I figure such rejections were due to the inexperience of the low-level staff who do the mail opening and initial data entry, and that an interviewer (who is presumably more experienced than the low-level clerks) would not reject it for that reason.

But you don't know if your application will be initially handled by one of those mistrained clerks, so it's safer for applicants to wait long enough to ensure the postmark date and signature date and received date are all within the 90-day window.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember a couple of cases like that where it was rejected, but those rejections happened without an interview. I figure such rejections were due to the inexperience of the low-level staff who do the mail opening and initial data entry, and that an interviewer (who is presumably more experienced than the low-level clerks) would not reject it for that reason.

But you don't know if your application will be initially handled by one of those mistrained clerks, so it's safer for applicants to wait long enough to ensure the postmark date and signature date and received date are all within the 90-day window.

Agreed. I would exhort admins to put this as a sticky-note, if it's not done already.

Hello..

I would like to share my experience about the filing time of N400 Naturalization application.My permanent residence date is November 01,2005 per my GC and if you subtract 90 days from that date is August 3rd.

I mailed my application on July 31 st and they got my application on August 2nd.I recieved text message from USCIS date on Augut 6th which indicated that they recieved my application and they cashed my check on August 9th.

I was worried about the timing but I think we should be fine.

Best Regards.

I just realized I had filed my application too early by stupidly assuming 90 days = 3 months ("thanks" to the 31-day July and August). Exactly 92 days prior to the 5th GC anniversary

So the situation is my check was cashed already and I have received my FP letter for a FP scheduled about 2 weeks from now. My question is are there ways to cancel my application besides abandoning it by not going to the FP appointment so that I can start everything all over again ASAP? Will I be able to apply again immediately after receiving a reply from the USCIS?

Thanks so much everyone.

P.S. for now I plan to write a letter to the USCIS service center to withdraw my application.

Send a withdrawal request by registered mail. Once you have confirmation they received it, wait at least 2-3 weeks before you reapply in order for USCIS to process your withdrawal.

Send a withdrawal request by registered mail. Once you have confirmation they received it, wait at least 2-3 weeks before you reapply in order for USCIS to process your withdrawal.

So they don't necessary send you a follow-up letter huh?

BTW, I just send out my withdrawal letter today, finger crossed.

just an update,

I got the letter from USCIS today confirming the withdrawal. So now I am ready to apply again!

an update from my case

just an update, folks. I got my interview letter yesterday in the mail and it really amazed me how fast the FBI's background check was for me (about 9 days after my FB was done). Now one step (or two if the oath is included) away from getting my citizenship. See my signature for the timeline. Best of luck to everybody out there.

Call me paranoid, but is it possible the USCIS sent you an interview letter before they got your background check result from the FBI? I just wish they will have all the files ready on my day of interview.

Call me paranoid, but is it possible the USCIS sent you an interview letter before they got your background check result from the FBI?

Standard procedure is to complete all background checks before scheduling the interview, but occasionally some people are interviewed without the checks being completed.

But once you have the interview, the 120-day clock for 1447(b) starts ticking, so they can't delay your case forever because of background checks.

another paranoid question, after I graduated from HS, I went to the local Army recruiting center and got enlisted in the "army delayed entry program" b/c I was already in college when I signed the contract. But I changed my mind about going into the Army toward the end of my freshman year in college and I requested to be separated from the army. They sent me an official discharge letter confirming my separation with the discharging code "ZDB." I looked it up online and found this document http://www.usarec.army.mil/im/formpub/REC_PUBS/R601_56.pdf
It stated ZDB = pursuit of higher education.
Since I did NOT request a discharge from the army by claiming myself as an alien, I am pretty sure I will be fine at the interview, but I just want to know if the officer who interviews me will have a chart that interprets the discharging code.

Since I did NOT request a discharge from the army by claiming myself as an alien, I am pretty sure I will be fine at the interview, but I just want to know if the officer who interviews me will have a chart that interprets the discharging code.

Absolutely NOT!!! You are worrying for no apparent reason once again. If they have a chart of all DoD discharge classification, USCIS wouldn't open to the general public... Your discharge has no bearing on your moral character, unless you joined for other nefarious purposes...

Absolutely NOT!!! You are worrying for no apparent reason once again. If they have a chart of all DoD discharge classification, USCIS wouldn't open to the general public... Your discharge has no bearing on your moral character, unless you joined for other nefarious purposes...

Then how do they know I did not get discharged claiming as an alien?

Aliens can join the military, did you know that? USCIS doesn't train its IO for knowledge on interpreting military discharge, it would a waste of resources.

Bring the discharge letter to show them in case they hassle you about the discharge. If the interviewer doesn't understand the codes, they can take a copy of the letter and ask a supervisor or one of their legal staff after the interview is done.