Harassment and abusive behavior during the citizenship interview

To file or not to file a complaint?

Thanks a lot to all of you for your feedback. It makes me feel better and also helps me understand the situation from multiple perspectives.

I believe my application was complete in all details. And also I think mine was a normal case. I possessed all the documents - no taxes due, birth cerificate, marriage certificate etc. Thanks Bobsmyth and JPBoston for saying that my case details would not raise any alarm. I am married only once and I got my greencard with my present and only husband. And also as I mentioned before he is still in the same job thru which he got his greencard.

Sanjoseaug20, IO did not question any part of my application. He did not spend more than a minute discussing any issue or part of my application.

GungaDin: Reply to your statement that the OP should have contacted a supervisor immediately. Yes, I agree. We were about to ask for superviosr/Duty Manager and file a
complaint. But did not do thinking we should not act without thinking much as we can not undo once we complain. Not sure what we did was right but as you told that was water
under the brodge. Thanks for your suggestion and I shall wait for four weeks as you suggested.

CaliGC, To file or not to file a complaint: I will wait another week and decide one way or other. The Io behaved very unfairly and unethically. But my only concern is
whether I have any hard evidence to prove it except what I say. A neutral third person need not believe what I say in the absence of some solid proof. This is the only thing
that is preventing me till now from complaining. Please let me know your opinion on this.

Thanks JPBoston for saying that the IO purposely did not approve the case and intentionally delayed it. That is the same feeling I got after the interview and feel the same
even now. I shall keep the forum informed with updated. Many thanks again for your time and inputs.

Thanks and best regards.

I got the oath letter!

I am glad to say that I got my oath letter yesterday. It is a big relief as I do not have to go through much.

Many many thanks to all of you for your support, suggestions and encouragement. It is amazing to see very valuable feedback from many of you with depth , knowledge and very helpful attitude. Good luck to all of you in everything you do.

Thanks again and best regards.

I am glad to say that I got my oath letter yesterday. It is a big relief as I do not have to go through much.

Many many thanks to all of you for your support, suggestions and encouragement. It is amazing to see very valuable feedback from many of you with depth , knowledge and very helpful attitude. Good luck to all of you in everything you do.

Congratulations !!!:) The long immigration journey is almost complete. Best of luck to you!!

Glad it all worked out OK in the end...
Congratulations.

Don't let him get away.

I hope you file complain after your oath and don't let this animal get away with this even though he approved you. Some of people are mentally ill and he is definitly one of them and again I hope you follow this up.

See this is what I was talking about in my long reply to you earlier in this post that wait for the decision letter...........but after once you become citizen ........... you can prepare yourself without a worry ......... to attack that abusive IO. lol.....now it's upto you what you wana do.

Good Luck

i have a friend here in san francisco she is asian who had the same experience and i guess with the same officer who was very rude and visious during the interview, she was not given any decision during the interview
i was told by her that this officer was extremely desrespectful of her, she left the interview crying, she was planning to file a big complain against this officer,
but she had to drop it after she got approved

i was told by her that this officer was extremely desrespectful of her, she left the interview crying, she was planning to file a big complain against this officer, but she had to drop it after she got approved

HAD to drop it? A complaint of abuse has nothing to do with approval ... the only reason people have advised the OP to delay filing complaint is to reduce repercussions, if any. I am curious why your friend dropped the complaint.

Many thanks for all your support. Much Appreciated!

Thanks again all of you for your comments. Much appreciated for your time, effort and knowledge. It makes the forum very rich and especially extremely supportive for people when odds are stacked against them. It has become possible only due to people like you.

John Smith, I also had my interview in San Francisco. I am very sorry to know about your Asian friend who received a very disrespectful and demeaning treatment and that she was almost in tears. Not much different for for me, if not worse. It is probably the same IO.

I have not filed any complaint yet. I also feel such abusive IO should not go scotfree. Thanks for saying that I will not be affected in any way if I complain. Let me please think a little about it and get back to you.

Sorry that I am not mentioning all your names here. But each one of your comments is cherished and appreceiated and made me finally reach the destination of the immigration.

Best regards, CA-person

Hi everyone,
I have a question. I came to interview for citizenship. The officer interviewed for about 2h 30mn to 2h 45mn without any break time. She asked me too much questions and confused me. Is there any law say the interview should be between 20mn to 30mn?

Hi everyone,
I have a question. I came to interview for citizenship. The officer interviewed for about 2h 30mn to 2h 45mn without any break time. She asked me too much questions and confused me. Is there any law say the interview should be between 20mn to 30mn?

1. This thread is about 10 years old!
2. There’s no law AFAIK that says what the duration of an immigration interview should be.
3. The IO has the right to ask as many questions as deemed necessary to assist with case adjudication.