H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Pay back time!!!

BACKGROUND:

- Pakistani Muslim
- Last Name "Hasan"
- When i booked the appointment, I got call from consulate that I may be subject to background check
- Had 2 previous stamps from Islamabad
- Working for the same company from last 5.5 years.

[8:00am] I had interview this morning (at 8:30am) at Toronto consulate. I reached there at 8:00am. There were around 10 people ahead of me in line waiting to enter the consulate. Guy at the door checked my passport and appointment letter and let me in. They were very strict about not allowing any electronics inside the consulate so dont carry any electronic item including cell phones and MP3 players. I saw few females leaving their cell phones and mp3 players under the tree in front of consulate. You can carry document bag/brief case.

[8:10am] Once inside the consulate building. They asked us to take of the jackets and put everything on scanner (including document bag). After passing security there was another line where lady was checking Passport and all visa forms. It helps to have your passport in hand and forms tucked inside the passport as she was checking and allowing ppl with passport in hand quickly.

[8:15am] Once in the main room, I stood in another line to SUBMIT my documents (window 6). Lady took all of my forms, passports and H1B approval notice. She scanned the forms quickly. Asked me which degree is "MCS" and wrote on the form by hand "Masters of Computer Science". She asked me to take a seat and wait.

[8:35am] I was called for finger printing at windows 1 by a guys. After finger printing has asked me to take a seat and wait for the interview call.

[8:45am]I was called for interview at window 4. Lady was very nice and interview lasted for only 2 minute.

Me: Good morning mam

VO: Good morning, how are you doing?

Me: I am doing pretty good mam. Not bad for a cold morning.

VO: Good....So what is this "Syed" in your name? Why is this included in your passport name and not on H1B approval notice?

Me: This is the name of "Tribe" but its not my legal name. My legal name is what on the H1B approval notice

VO: oic.....yeah i was wondering why are the name different. So when did you come to US?

Me: In ####. I came to California and joined the XXX company then in #### I moved to North Carolina and since then I am working for the same company.

VO: Good. So what do you do for XXXX company?

Me: Mam I work as Sr.Software Engineer

VO: Can you explain your duties?

ME: [I explained what I do]

VO: Good. Do you have company support letter snapshot of your labor application?

Me: Yes mam. .... Here you go.

VO: She just took a look (did not read through). Ok I am issuing you a visa but just to make sure that you know that next time when you come for stamping you may be subject to background check.

Me: Yes mam i completely understand that but i had to go to Pakistan thats why I came here for stamping

VO: I hope till your next visit your Labor and Green card will get approved because its already been more than 2 years since you filed.

Me: Yes mam. I hope that too.

VO: Ok take this ticket and pickup your passport tomorrow b/w 3pm-4pm and have wonderful vacations

Me: Thank you mam. You too have a wonderful day.

I learned a lot from this forum and will be happy to answer the questions whenever I get a chance to come online.

Thanks and good luck everyone !

Last edited by a moderator:
web_guru2003 said:
Pay back time!!!

BACKGROUND:

- Pakistani Muslim
- Last Name "Hasan"
- When i booked the appointment, I got call from consulate that I may be subject to background check
- Had 2 previous stamps from Islamabad
- Working for the same company from last 5.5 years.

[8:00am] I had interview this morning (at 8:30am) at Toronto consulate. I reached there at 8:00am. There were around 10 people ahead of me in line waiting to enter the consulate. Guy at the door checked my passport and appointment letter and let me in. They were very strict about not allowing any electronics inside the consulate so dont carry any electronic item including cell phones and MP3 players. I saw few females leaving their cell phones and mp3 players under the tree in front of consulate. You can carry document bag/brief case.

[8:10am] Once inside the consulate building. They asked us to take of the jackets and put everything on scanner (including document bag). After passing security there was another line where lady was checking Passport and all visa forms. It helps to have your passport in hand and forms tucked inside the passport as she was checking and allowing ppl with passport in hand quickly.

[8:15am] Once in the main room, I stood in another line to SUBMIT my documents (window 6). Lady took all of my forms, passports and H1B approval notice. She scanned the forms quickly. Asked me which degree is "MCS" and wrote on the form by hand "Masters of Computer Science". She asked me to take a seat and wait.

[8:35am] I was called for finger printing at windows 1 by a guys. After finger printing has asked me to take a seat and wait for the interview call.

[8:45am]I was called for interview at window 4. Lady was very nice and interview lasted for only 2 minute.

Me: Good morning mam

VO: Good morning, how are you doing?

Me: I am doing pretty good mam. Not bad for a cold morning.

VO: Good....So what is this "Syed" in your name? Why is this included in your passport name and not on H1B approval notice?

Me: This is the name of "Tribe" but its not my legal name. My legal name is what on the H1B approval notice

VO: oic.....yeah i was wondering why are the name different. So when did you come to US?

Me: In ####. I came to California and joined the XXX company then in #### I moved to North Carolina and since then I am working for the same company.

VO: Good. So what do you do for XXXX company?

Me: Mam I work as Sr.Software Engineer

VO: Can you explain your duties?

ME: [I explained what I do]

VO: Good. Do you have company support letter snapshot of your labor application?

Me: Yes mam. .... Here you go.

VO: She just took a look (did not read through). Ok I am issuing you a visa but just to make sure that you know that next time when you come for stamping you may be subject to background check.

Me: Yes mam i completely understand that but i had to go to Pakistan thats why I came here for stamping

VO: I hope till your next visit your Labor and Green card will get approved because its already been more than 2 years since you filed.

Me: Yes mam. I hope that too.

VO: Ok take this ticket and pickup your passport tomorrow b/w 3pm-4pm and have wonderful vacations

Me: Thank you mam. You too have a wonderful day.

I learned a lot from this forum and will be happy to answer the questions whenever I get a chance to come online.

Thanks and good luck everyone !

Congratulations. Good to see a fellow Pakistani getting his visa :)

hsm74 said:
Thanks for those who replied. I had transferred my H1 to a new employer a year ago but did not have project for 2 months. I guess w2 I got reflected this and did not match with I guess LC. But the consular only told me that I was getting a 221(g) because as per their evaluation I was not eligible to apply in any country other than India because of differences in LC and tax statements.

I have no choice now. I am currently booking for India. Such a inconvenience and headache , I did not even prepare for this. I thought I would be back within 2-3 days.
Hi hsm74,
If you are still active in the forum, please send me a reply. I have a few questions about your post. Thx

Booking appointment through nvars

Hi:
I am trying to get an appointment in toronto for last 10 days, but nothing is available. I check everyday at 5:30 EST. Have anyone booked in Toronto recently?
Thanks

I thought I read on their website that the appointments are posted randomly between 7AM to 10PM. You might be getting up too soon dude...

Appointment in Toronto

A1:
I have a window open and pressed F5 from 9:30 to 5 PM, but still no opening. I may need to try a few days more

Thanks anyway

tanveer666 said:
My Current h1b for seventh years expire on june 11, 2006 . I can apply for extension after December 11, 2005 for another one year since my LC is still pending at PBEC . My questions are as follows

1- Can I apply premium processing for 8 years extension or primum processing is only available for first time H1B filer

2-Does any body know how long it takes to receive I-797 Approval notice if we file premium processing of h1b1

3- Is it safe for me to make an appointment for the first week of janurary to my h1b1 visa stamped in canada . will I get I-797 approval notice by that time

4-I am from Pakistan . how much is the excat visa fee for pakistani
nationals

5-I went to canada for landing on July 2006 . since I am permenant landed immigrant of canada since july 2006 can they still ask me that you still dont have any strong ties with canada so go back to your home country pakistan and get visa stamped from pakistan.

Guys please help if you know the answar

Tanveer:

Answers to your questions below:
1. Yes you can.
2. 2 weeks approx.
3. I would keep a 2 weeks margin (between estimated approval date and appointment date), assuming there wont be any RFE.
4. You have to check with U.S. Embassy, Pakistan website.
5. The most important part - While entering Canada - Must carry the PR card, it's better to use public transport (Air/Railways/Bus), also you have to demonstrate that you have no plans to abandon the PR. At the US Consulate, yes prepare for the question why do you want to stamp in Canada and not Pakistan. My 2 cents.

I-94 return ?

I'm planing to get H1 visa stamping in Vancouver, BC.

As I changed my status from B2 to H1, I have an original I-94 which is expired and attached to the passport and another valid I-94 which is attached to the I-797.

When I leave the USA, do I need to return I-94? Or just keep it.
If I have to return I-94, which one? Both of them?

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Appointment

Can any body tell me what is the best time to make an appointment from u s a consulate canada.

and also I want know how early I can get the appointment .

Please help if you know the answar

Vancuver is open

Tanveer:
Go to www.nvars.com. It will ask your passport#, after that you can log in and see if any slot is open. Right now Vancuver is open on Jan 18. I am looking for Toronto for last 10 days but no luck.

Hope it helps

FORM I-797A upper portion with Employer

I have a question regarding the Form I-797A (Notice of Action). My employer kept the upper portion of the Form and gave me the lower half.

It is written on the Form second paragraph "THE PETITIONER SHOULD KEEP THE UPPER PORTION OF THIS NOTICE. THE LOWER PORTION SHOULD BE GIVEN TO THE WORKER............"

Does any body else had the same experience , i am scheduled for an interview on Dec 12 at Montreal Consulate. if any body had the same situation or is aware about this please respond.

Thanks
Mugsg

First, I wanted to Thanks this forum for all the experinces everyone has posted. I had an apt at vancover on 12/7 and it went smoothly. There is an indian guy and an american lady who are both extremely nice.

Regarding I-94, we drove across the border and kept our I-94...canadian immigration asked us to keep our current I-94.

Returning back, they were going to let us keep the same I-94, however we asked if they would take the current I-94 and give us a new one. They said OK and asked us to go inside and get processed. Fee was $6 USD to get a new I-94...process went smoothly.

Thanks everyone.

ToBeAlbert said:
I'm planing to get H1 visa stamping in Vancouver, BC.

As I changed my status from B2 to H1, I have an original I-94 which is expired and attached to the passport and another valid I-94 which is attached to the I-797.

When I leave the USA, do I need to return I-94? Or just keep it.
If I have to return I-94, which one? Both of them?

Thanks for your reply in advance.

H1 B stamping experience in Ottawa

Hi folks,

I wanted to share my experience about H1 B stamping experience. I took all my documents, and took off to Ottawa to get my H1 b stamping. When I landed at the Ottawa International airport on Tuesday night, the immigration asked me very simple questions.
1) Why are you here? ( told him I am here for my H1 B stamping)
2) How do you two know each other? (I was with my girlfriend)
3) Where are you living? ( gave him the hotel print outs)

Then I hailed a cab to the Days Inn hotel which is in downtown. The best thing about that hotel is the location. It was a 10 minute walk to the US consulate. After I checked in, I had dinner and made sure that I had all my documents in place.
My appointment was for wednesday at 8am. So I set the hotel alarm, my cell phone alarm, as well as my girlfriends cell phone alarm. good thing because the hotel alarm did not go off. so make sure you dont rely just on one alarm. I reached the US consulate at 745 am for my 8am appointment. Make sure you only have your documents. They wont let you take anything else in the US embassy. The security guard asked me what i had in my pockets and i said nothing. Once in the embassy, you go through the security checks like you are at an airport. The payment counter opened at 750am or so, and we formed a line in the order we arrived in. I handed in the required documents, and made the payment and took a seat.
Even though my appointment was for 8am, i was called at 930am.
1) When they called me, she asked me for my OPT, and my i 797 approval notice.
2) She asked me which company i work for and whats my position?
While I was answering the questions, she did the finger printing as well. Before i could even finish my answer, she tore off a reciept and told me to come back the next day to picked up my passport at 3pm.
I came back the next day at 3pm, and got my passport. I left for the airport at 430pm since my flight was at 8pm and i had nothing else to do. I was talking to another Indian guy while at the embassy, and his flight was also from Ottawa International Airport at 7pm, so we split a cab. While getting to the hotel, it cost 30 and while going to the airport it was 32 canadian dollars. When i was there, 1 US dollar = I canadian dollar.

Hope my post helps. I prepared my self by readin alot from this post, and thought it was only fair to give back. Let me know if anyone needs more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations..
Can you tell me what other hotels are close to consulate in Ottawa? I will be traveling with family and children and looking for suite/motel.

Thank you
Project_A

Appointment in toronto

Hi;
Is anyboy able to book appointment in Toronto in last 2 weeks? Please let me know about the time, when it opened up. I am trying for about 15 days, but no opening.

Thanks

Appointment in Ottawa - H1b 7th year extension

Here is some information from my appointment in Ottawa - H1b 7th year extension

No backpacks, bags, remote keyless keys, chapstick are allowed. They can keep keys and chapsticks in a pouch but no bags of any kind at the security booth.

Here is a sampling of the questions asked for your anecdotal information:

What does the company do?
How long have you worked with the company?
On replying 6 1/2 years, the officer asked if a foreign permanent labor certificate is pending and what the priority date was?
Did you do your Masters in the US?
That was it, she cancelled my older H1-B and asked me to pick up the passport the next day at 3pm.

Good Luck!

That Is Where I Am Stuck -

manwithnoname said:
Tanveer:

Answers to your questions below:
1. Yes you can.
2. 2 weeks approx.
3. I would keep a 2 weeks margin (between estimated approval date and appointment date), assuming there wont be any RFE.
4. You have to check with U.S. Embassy, Pakistan website.
5. The most important part - While entering Canada - Must carry the PR card, it's better to use public transport (Air/Railways/Bus), also you have to demonstrate that you have no plans to abandon the PR. At the US Consulate, yes prepare for the question why do you want to stamp in Canada and not Pakistan. My 2 cents.

WHAT SHOULD BE THE ANSWER ON THAT QUESTION -WHY CANADA AND NOT INDIA- ANY SUGGESTIONS -DID ANY BODY HAEV THAT QUESTION ASKED
PLEASE ADVISE

hotguy_79

Project_A

I cannot recall the names of the hotels there, but there are quiet a few. you should not have any problems in going there and booking one there. If you want to do it before hand, then I went to priceline.com. Just put in ottawa or the consulate address, and do a search for the hotels closer to the consulate. Also, after i like a hotel, i go to maps.google.com and see how far that hotel is from the embassy. Thats how i picked the hotel i stayed in. Also, in priceline, they have assigned stars to each hotel, so you know the kind of service you should be expecting. Wish you luck.

Successful Stamping from Ottawa

Thanks everyone for sharing your expericences!!!

We have very good experience from Ottawa. The officers are very nice and asking only few key questions. I have all the required paper work with me, including my own house papers, reference letter from my University, (I have been studying my master degree since March 2005, and so far completed more than half way). But the officer asked only DS-forms, latest H1B/H4 approvals and passports. The interview took only one minute or so. The lady officer was very nice and asked about my responsibilities, how long I been working for my company, Green card status (my I-140 has been approved, got the three year extn). She asked me what Countries we have visited, I told her that, we have been in US from last 7 years (my 8th year), one of the multinational company brought me on Business visa and after that I have changed my status to H1B, since than we never traveled anywhere outside the US except Canada. We have visited Toronto in August to complete the Canada PR landing process. She said right away that, using the 30 day AVR, right?, I said yes mam. She then asked me to pick up our passports tomorrow at 03:00pm. Thanks mam!!!

Here is what I did before taking my travel arrangements to Ottawa:

A month ago, I spoke to one of the officer from customer support (called 900 number that we have provided in the Interview letter) and explained about my situation, as I came on business visa in my passport and changed my visa status to H1B. The officer clearly told me that as I have never out of status, and if we have all the legal paper work, they will process the visa.

So if you have all the legal paper work, all W2, TAX, pay stubs bank papers you can go to Canada for visa stamping. You can also call the 900 customer support number and directly talk to the officers. They are very friendly. I wish our country officers be like these officers(based on past experience). This definitely boosts the country values and image.

Regards
Sree