H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

sharu03 said:
Hello All--

Successfully completed visa revalidation for me (H1B) and spouse (H4) at Vancouver consulate on Sep 14.

We had a 8.30 appt. We got there around 8.15, got in the line. We carried all documents in clear folders and clear plastic covers. They don't allow cell phones or any other bags. Security check is quite intense. You can't have any sealed envelope among your documents. As long as you carry only the documents in a clear folder, you should be fine. Leave your cell phone / bag behind at the hotel. Several people went back to do that.

We were let in through security around 9-ish. Handed the application form, employer letter, I797 for self and application form for spouse and US $200 cash to the cashier. She gave a receipt and a number and asked us to go to visa officer ( in 20th floor). They did another security check there and we waited in the waiting area. Our number got called shortly.

All the VOs I saw were quite casual and not intimidating at all. The waiting area is very small so you can see/hear other people's interviews very clearly.
I did not see anyone being grilled. All were asked straight forward questions and for documents like employer letter, previous I797s and such.

The VO for us was of Indian origin and greeted us with a smile. He asked if I worked for so and so company as so and so title (based on my employer letter). I said "Yes". Asked me if I had previous visa stampings. I had 3 - 1 from India ( chennai) and 2 from DOS. He smiled and asked us to come next day at 3pm to collect the passports. We paid the reciprocity fee at the counter and collected the ticket for passport pickup at another counter.

We went the next day at 2.45pm ( and there were already 60-70 people ahead of us in line) and picked up the passports.

I am not a Canadian PR and have done bachelors in India (no US degrees).

On the return, you go to your airline counter and they give you a I94 and customs form. There is a US immigration area in the Vancouver airport. You complete the I-94 and customs formality there. Was quite easy for us. The officer did not ask me any questions.

Hope this helps.

If anyone has any questions particular to Vancouver, I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge.

The only confusion I have now is that the airline agent as well as the agent at the gate did not take our I94s when we left the US. The gate agent said that they did not need to take it if we were returning within 30 days. I have asked my attorney on what I should do about the old I-94s.

I was pleasntly surprised to find that my labour certification was received when I was in Canada. Case details in signature.
sharu03,

Thanks for pointing me to your post. I have one more question. My I94 expired in 2002. After coming to US, I haven't gone outside, so I do not have current I94. My attorney says current I797 should suffice but in your openion and experience, will this be a problem.

DS - 156 question (items 15 and 16)

This is a general DS-156 question, that probably applies to everybody who visits this thread.
I have been on H1 visa in the US for the last 7+ years and planning to go to Canada for revalidation. For the items 15(home address) and 16(telephone number) on the form DS-156, should i give my address/tel details in US or the address/tel. number in my native country(India) ?

Thanks.

Give your current US address and phone details.

venkalp said:
This is a general DS-156 question, that probably applies to everybody who visits this thread.
I have been on H1 visa in the US for the last 7+ years and planning to go to Canada for revalidation. For the items 15(home address) and 16(telephone number) on the form DS-156, should i give my address/tel details in US or the address/tel. number in my native country(India) ?

Thanks.

Some one i know from this forum has Ottawa appointment in Nov and he recieved a call from Consulate saying that his case may take "2/3 week to few months". Is this something strange or pretty common? because he still have not submitted any document at all and has only booked the appointment. Do they check common names right after booking an appointment?

web_guru2003 said:
Some one i know from this forum has Ottawa appointment in Nov and he recieved a call from Consulate saying that his case may take "2/3 week to few months". Is this something strange or pretty common? because he still have not submitted any document at all and has only booked the appointment. Do they check common names right after booking an appointment?

Getting such a call is common for all Muslims. I did too in Nov 2004 but luckily didn't have any issue. It's their usual racial and religious profiling practices that all Muslims are subjected to.

If his name does not sound similar to those they are suspicious of and he has always been in status and filed all SR-11 forms, he should be OK.

Chicago Desi said:
Getting such a call is common for all Muslims. I did too in Nov 2004 but luckily didn't have any issue. It's their usual racial and religious profiling practices that all Muslims are subjected to.

If his name does not sound similar to those they are suspicious of and he has always been in status and filed all SR-11 forms, he should be OK.

His name does have "Muhammad" in it. Looks like an obvious reason. Basically I have booked an appointment for 5th December and have not recieved any call yet and just wondering if i can conclude anything from this or not? :confused:

As far as I am concerned, I have always been in status with bag full of complete documentation, hope i'll not have any problems .... !

Calgary H1B Indian Nationality 6+

Hello everyone,
I am new to here. I got appointment for Oct 26th Calgary. I have been 6 years in US and my stamping in my passport got just expired. Planning for a India trip next month end.

Please share your experience for H1B renewal at Calgary.

I am looking for dates in any consulate in first two weeks of Nov. If any one planned to cancel please IM me so I can grab that one. I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks again.

Successful Canada Visa Stamping - Documents to take

sapzap , webguru and phonexian .Please refer to my case.Here is a list of all possible documents you can take with you .

Here is a list

1. Original I-797 H-1B Approval Notice
2. Copy of I-129 (H-1B Petition)
3. Copy of Labor Certification Application (LC)/I-140
4. Employment Verification Letter
5. Copy of I-94 card
6. Two most recent original pay slips
7. Proof of financial support issued on Bank Lettehead
9. Original monthly bank statements
10. Original W-2 Tax information
11. Employee Identification Card (I.D)
12. Current Business Card
13. All previous original H-1B approval notices
14. Original Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree and Transcripts
15. Copy of academic credential evaulation conducted by World Education Service (WES)
16. Original professional certifications
17. Copy of resume
18. All previous original work experience letters
20. Canadian Permanent Resident Card OR Visitor Visa
21. Original previously issued expired passport with old H-1B visa
22. Completed DS-156 application form
23. Completed DS-157 application form
24. Completed DS-158 application form

Thanks sraghava.

I have got the impression from many posts on the forums tha being the parent of us citizen kids helps. Is this true? I cant understand how can that help? :confused:

sraghava said:
sapzap , webguru and phonexian .Please refer to my case.Here is a list of all possible documents you can take with you .

Here is a list

..form

Thanks Raghava

I am planned to block dates in either Vancover or Calgary. Any recommendations?

Toronto or Ottawa October appointment dates

Hi All: I am looking for Toronto or Ottawa October appointment dates, If anybody cancelling let me know. I appreciate your help.

Thanks!!!

While filling navrs, I see dependent details in nvars.com. where as confirmation package does not have any reference to My dependent's name or passport. Am I missing here something or Am I all set?

Really appreciate your help.

(I am still looking Toronto/Ottowa appointments in October, because of urgent situatiions)

Guys,
I am trying to book an appointmnet for the month of Dec and I dont see any dates available.
Any info on how and when to look for the available dates.

m

Wait time? H1 Visa stamping after 221(g) Suspension

Hello folks

I came to US Consulate in Toronto for my H1 visa stamping after change of employer in US. My previous visa has expired in June. I have PhD in Chemistry, work in Clinical research.

The officer asked me to wait for 2-4 weeks and gave me notice of suspension under section 221(g) of INA: for further review and checked Interagency clearance on the form. She also said they'll inform me via email as soon as they receive clearance from DC.

Has anyone experienced this before and please tell me how long is the wait time to receive response from the US consulate. I also understand its case -by-case!!!

Thanks

Avis

Here is a list

3. Copy of Labor Certification Application (LC)/I-140
4. Employment Verification Letter
5. Copy of I-94 card
6. Two most recent original pay slips
7. Proof of financial support issued on Bank Lettehead
9. Original monthly bank statements
10. Original W-2 Tax information
11. Employee Identification Card (I.D)
12. Current Business Card
13. All previous original H-1B approval notices
14. Original Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree and Transcripts
15. Copy of academic credential evaulation conducted by World Education Service (WES)
16. Original professional certifications
17. Copy of resume
18. All previous original work experience letters
20. Canadian Permanent Resident Card OR Visitor Visa
21. Original previously issued expired passport with old H-1B visa
22. Completed DS-156 application form
23. Completed DS-157 application form
24. Completed DS-158 application form

I would like to add few more things here:

25. Passport size pictures (maybe 2)
26. Appointment letter from your consulate (where you have taken your appointment from)
27. Application fee US $100 + $ 50 reciprocity fee if you have passport from India
28. If you have house or Apartment than take your lease agreement or other related papers.

Avisrp said:
Hello folks

I came to US Consulate in Toronto for my H1 visa stamping after change of employer in US. My previous visa has expired in June. I have PhD in Chemistry, work in Clinical research.

The officer asked me to wait for 2-4 weeks and gave me notice of suspension under section 221(g) of INA: for further review and checked Interagency clearance on the form. She also said they'll inform me via email as soon as they receive clearance from DC.

Has anyone experienced this before and please tell me how long is the wait time to receive response from the US consulate. I also understand its case -by-case!!!

Thanks

Avis

Dude,

You fall under TAL (Technical Alert List)

They want to check you background and if you have not done anything wrong than assume coming out gracefully.

Avisrp said:
Hello folks

Thanks

Avis

Dude,

You fall under TAL (Technical Alert List) or some other thing which specifys chemical research ro some other blah blah

They want to check your background and if you have not done anything wrong than assume coming out gracefully.

Urgent: Appointment difficulty for visa stamping

Hello,
I have a H1-B and plan to go to Montreal or Halifax to get my visa stamped. I have been visiting the online appointment system for Montreal for over 2 weeks now and have not yet seen any appointments available. is this normal? Is there an easier way to get an appointment in Montreal?

Also, how to get an appointment in halifax? Is telephone the only option or is there a website to get an appointment in Halifax?

Any help that you can give me is greatly appreciated.

THanks!

Thanks

I am aware of that fact ....any clue how long does it take though .... assuming that I haven't done anything "wrong"??

Avis

I have a message on my voice mail box from "Brian" (from US Embassy) and he said that "This is Brian calling from US embassy appointment booking department. This call is in regards to your appointment at Toronto Consulate on 5th Dec. I am calling to advise you that you could be subject to additional administrative processing but you are or not will be decided by Visa officer. Administrative processing may significantly increase your visa stamping time from 2 weeks to few months. If this is the case, we will return you your passport so that you can do international travel but you will not be able to go to US. If you want to cancel or change the appointment or discuss the matter, please call………”

I hope this is just a general screening process depending on the name and nationality (Pakistani) and ppl do go get visa stamped (without administrative processing) even after getting this call.