H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

I would not worry

vahope4gc said:
immiadvice,

Congratulation for successful stamping!!!

I am also thiking to go to Ottawa but hesitate as I have my all education from India and heard they might because of that and send me back to India for stamping.

Could you please tell me if had any education from US? Also can I contact you via your personal email or phone. If yes then please send me email at howie_ind@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance
I would not worry if your education is from India. As long as you have all the paper work, work in US you should not have any problem. The key is travel with all documents you have to avoid rejection-

Question regarding DS 157 form

can_immig said:
Please see my post for details on what questions were asked. As long as you have all the documents you should be fine.
I did filled DS156 online and took the printout. DS157 is also a fillable PDF form, if you desire you can fill it and take a printout, dont forget to write your name in the native alphabet.
Let me know if you have any specific questions. I will be more than happy to share my experience.
HTH, Good Luck.

Hi can_immig,

I have some questions related to DS 157 form.

In DS 157 form they ask:

List All Countries you have entered in the last ten years( Give the year of each Visit)

so what did u put? I came to canada first time, this is the only country which I traveled first time in last ten years. and after comming to canada, I went USA on visit visa 2 times.

So do I need to put the year when I entered in canada , and also put year when I went to US, or only I have to put canada?

plz reply soon ...............ur help is apprechiating

I am on 7th year extension (till 2007), wife on H4.
Visa stamp on the passport expired (Aug 2005)
I-94 card expired (April 2006)
GC Process - Labor and I-140 cleared (July 2006)
----------------
So with an expired VISA STAMP and I-94 card - is it safe to go to Vancover embassy?

I have been in US since 2000, and last entered US in 2004, didnt have a need to go out, so didnt re-stamp.

Regarding H1B visa stamping in Canada

I am planning to get my H1b VISA stamped from canada.I had the following questions:

1)I wanted to know what documents would be required to get my visa stamped.From the search i have done I think that this list should suffice.If I am missing any documents let me know.
1)H1 visa 2)payslips 3)Qualifications(degree, transcripts) 4)I94 5)Passport
6)SSN card 7)Employer letter 8)i-20'S---MAY BE--student documents
9)DS156 & DS157 forms 10)fEES 11)Appointment confirmation letter
12)100$ appointment Fee13)50 Visa issuance fee

2)Also I wanted to know if the fees that you pay at the consulate, should it be cash or cashiers check or anyone is allowed.

3)Also regarding the DS-156 and DS-157 forms.Are they downloadable and then you fill them up manually or you must fill them up online.I believe someone told me that we must fill them up online and take a printout of the form which will have a barcode.Can I save the copy of that filled form or can I fill it up again if i lose it.

Successful 7th Year H1 Stamping(me) and F1 (H-4 convert) stamping (wife) at Ottawa

Greetings,

I got my 7th year H1 stamped at Ottawa ,Canada last week .I thought I will share it with you ,It is quite easy to get it stamped at Ottawa if u have ALL the required documents.Security is very tight so don't carry your cellphones,keys,bagpacks etc .I carried all the docs in a plastic bag yet they asked me to take everything from the bag and hold my docs so they are visible.They asked me to either throw the plastic bags or stuff in into my pocket (though it might be bulging out or protuding but keep it with u .It was raining when I went ) .They will ask you to go to counter 7 .There submit 100$ fee (they accept Cash US$ ), ds-156/7/8 , your I-797 and passport .Then wait for your turn till they call your name at counter 1 or 2.When my name was called :

Here is the conversation excerpt.

Officer: Good morning
Me : Good morning Ma'm
Officer: so u have come for extension of your H-1B
Me: yes Ma'm
Officer: Whom do you work for ?
Me: XYZ Ma'm
Officer: How long you have been working for them ?
Me:3 yrs
Officer: How long you have been in US ?
Me: since 2000
Officer: So it has been more than 6 years.Can you show me your old passport with the visa
Me: (since i got a new passport without any visa stamp.the old passport had expired) .I handed both the passports
Officer:Since you are in your 7th year .Can you show me any proof , like a letter from a lawyer or labor dept stating that your labor cert is pending .Anything doc is fine .
Me: I handed over the docs
Offficer: Great .Please pay the reciprocity fee of 50 US$ as reqd by your country.Then bring the receipt back to me .
Me: I did the needful and went back to her.
Officer: (She signed the receipt. Gave me a copy) You can come and collect your passport at 3PM tomorrow at the gate.Have a nice day and enjoy your stay in Ottawa.

For my wife .She came on H-4 to US and converted to F1 .

At the counter : submit the passport ,ds-156/7/8 ,100$ fee,latest I-20 (thats what they will ask for ).they will not take the F-1 approval notice you got from INS.Since I went with her when she was called for the interview, so I will write the conversation as-is,

When she was called .

Officer: Good morning
Her: good morning ma'm
Offcier: so u intend to go to school at Univ of XYZ
Her: I am already studying there and have completed 2 semesters.I am in my third semester
Officer: And you are studying ?
Her: M.S in ABC
Offcier: What is that about (Its not the usual comp sc/electrical stuff but life sciences/health related branch of study,so she asked )
Her: she explained
Offcier: That is nice .Do you enjoy this program
Her.Yes ma'm
Officer: And i see that you have assitantship for the complete duration of the program (looking at the I-20).And you have also paid your SEVIS fee (by looking at her screen)
Officer: Here is a copy of the receipt (one is pasted to your passport , other given to you to collect your passport) .You can come and collect your passport at 3PM tomorrow at the gate.Have a nice day and enjoy your stay in Ottawa.

If you have any question , please feel free to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
RedIndian,

Dont wanna scare you, but an expired I-94 card can be trouble,
We are supposed to stay in the country till the date mentioned on I-94.
We HAVE to leave the country and get a new stamping before that expiry date.
Maybe someone might correct me if I am wrong...

Visastamping

If you have a H1 renewal notice (I-797), the bottom portion of the form serves as your new I-94 card with new expiration (even though the card on your passport may be an older one).

visastamping said:
RedIndian,

Dont wanna scare you, but an expired I-94 card can be trouble,
We are supposed to stay in the country till the date mentioned on I-94.
We HAVE to leave the country and get a new stamping before that expiry date.
Maybe someone might correct me if I am wrong...

Calgary Appointment

Hi Kanimozhipriya - I am going to Calgary on Oct 23rd. Just got my appt this morning. Let me know how it goes for you.

kanimozhipriya said:
Hi All,
I'm going for my visa stamping @ calgary on 2nd Oct 06. If anyone have been there recently, kindly share your experience. Also any tip on where to stay and how to reach the consulate would be really helpful.

Thanks
Priya

Old visa also cancelled if new one denied??

techy2468 said:
my understanding is that it applies to your new 797.......because they want to give you future dates for travelling in and out.....

old visa is useless once you apply for a new visa....infact they cancel it even if they deny you a new visa.........
Hi Friend
I have seen a recent comment from you that old visa will be cancelled in case new one got denied. This one scared me as i was trying to get my new visa stamped before old one expired so that in case of denial,i will not be stuck at Canada.
Can you please tell me how did you find this and did you see any such case or is there any embassy website giving more info about this scenario.

regards
email syf_usa@yahoo.com

Hi there,
it is a routine procedure to cancel old visa before they stamp a new one. they do not want 2 valid visas in one passport which will cause confusion.

Generally, they will not cancel the old one (if they plan on put you through for a security check). So, you can still return with the old - valid visa.

Ela
syf_usa said:
Hi Friend
I have seen a recent comment from you that old visa will be cancelled in case new one got denied. This one scared me as i was trying to get my new visa stamped before old one expired so that in case of denial,i will not be stuck at Canada.
Can you please tell me how did you find this and did you see any such case or is there any embassy website giving more info about this scenario.

regards
email syf_usa@yahoo.com

H-1 firset ever visa stamping in vancouver w/o I-94 - please help!!!!

Hi,

I was on H-4 and I got my h-1 approval just now and its valid from October 2006. The problem is that I applied for H-1 when I was in India and so when I came back my sponsoring company applied for change of status petition. But I got h-1 approval without I-94. So, the authorities have not taken into consideration my change of status request. Now my questions are,

1) As this is my first ever h-1 stamping, will vancouver visa consulate provide me stamping without I-94 and pay stubs and only with other necessary documents like I-797, offer letter, etc.

2) If I will not be granted visa stamping, then will I have difficulties coming back to US? I still have my H-4 valid.

3) I am going by car from seattle to vancouver. Can anyone advice me any consequences at the border?

I am going to vancouver on 1st October as my visa appointment is on 2nd....I will really appreciate a quick advice and help!!!

Thanks,
Komal

HERE the special one :cool:

Hi forum ppl,

I have read almost all the cases but nothing matches exactly to mine.

HERE the special one :cool:

I got my first H1B stamped from London in year 2003 Feb and I was in US in month of June. I have changed three employers so far and this is my third job as permanent employee which is for very reputed company which exists in more than 38 countries. In October it will be 3 years plus 4 month and I have taken my appointment for Calgary (there was no other choice) for 17th October.

My bachelor is from India and masters (MSIT) from London. I am not in Tal list either.

I have few questions for all the gurus here:

1)How safe it is for my case :confused:
2)If I get approved (in Calgary) than will I get my passport back with visa same day :confused:
3)Should I try from somewhere else :confused:

I see this as a big risk but just gotta do it like others. Please give me your feedback on this.
All you help is really appreciated.

I was just able to reschedule my appointment from 20th Nov (Toronto) to 5th Dec (Ottawa). Although Toronto was my first priority coz that could have saved me some $$$ (my sis live in Toronto) but I want to travel in first week of December.

Anyone with experience of Ottawa stamping:

1- How far is the embassy from Ottawa Airport?

2- Taxi is the mean or travel?

3- Any nice in-expensive hotel/motel near Embassy (within walking distance) ? How much $$$ are we looking at (2 days stay)?

and any other information that you think is worth shearing.

Thanks

Visa stamping in Ottawa,Canada (sapzap and webguru response)

SapZap : Here is what I think

My bachelor is from India and masters (MSIT) from London. I am not in Tal list either.

I have few questions for all the gurus here:

1)How safe it is for my case
I dont think you have anything to worry about.Just take an academic credential evaluation done on your non US degrees .You can get it done from W.E.S (World Education Service) or any other organization recognized by INS.
Toronto is very picky on North American degrees.I dont know about Calgary.I got mine done and took them with me.

3)Should I try from somewhere else

After reading on several forums , I believe the safest in highest order of preference are : Halifax,Calgary,Ottawa,Vancouver,Toronto

Web Guru : Here is my reply

I was just able to reschedule my appointment from 20th Nov (Toronto) to 5th Dec (Ottawa). Although Toronto was my first priority coz that could have saved me some $$$ (my sis live in Toronto) but I want to travel in first week of December.

Anyone with experience of Ottawa stamping:
Read my post on H1 stamping in Ottawa

1- How far is the embassy from Ottawa Airport?
It will cost about : 30 Canadian dollars (~ 1 US $ = 1.1 CAD $)

2- Taxi is the mean or travel?
Bus is convenient, but you dont want to take a risk on the day of your appt and especially in an unknown territory .Bus 95 takes you to downtown.You might have to walk 1-2 miles to get to the embassy.Taxi is preferrable.If you want to roam and stay a day or two after the appt, you can explore in buses.

3- Any nice in-expensive hotel/motel near Embassy (within walking distance) ? Bid on priceline (quote about 40-45$ Ottawa East.I got Comfort Inn for 45$ )
A taxi will take about 15-20$ to get you to the embassy .Still cheaper.

How much $$$ are we looking at (2 days stay)? About US 100$ at least

and any other information that you think is worth shearing.

Take some plastic bags preferrably transparent - no bagpacks,keys,cellphones .Security Guards are very strict .

Thanks sraghava

Really helpful information. I am planning to reach Ottawa a day earlier (on 4th). Most probably i'll visit the embassy also on 4th just to make sure that i dont mess up on appointment day (more like a judgement day :D )

Forgot to tell you that I will have 2 suitcases with me so I guess Taxi is the only mean of transport (atleast from Airport to motel). I have plans to visit Pakistan from Canda (in fact that is the only reason i m going for stamping)

I am planning to carry

- All the forms mentioned in Appointment Approval Package

- My current & expired passports

- All of my H1 notices (from 1999 till now)

- All Original educational documents + Degree Credential Evaluations from thedegreepeople.com (My Masters was from Karachi University)

- Letters from all employers (current + previous US & Pakistani employers)

- Pay stubs (current employer - last 3 months , 2-3 each from previous employers )

- Letter from few of the clients (managers) that I am currently working with

- Copy of my Labor Certification petition

- Few utility bills, apartment lease

- Photopies of passport of my children (Us Citizen) and wife

Questions:

Q1: Am I missing any document?

Q2: My company has applied for Labor Certification (for green card) some 2.5 years ago (still waiting). On the form it asks "If some one has applied on my behalf for green card?" What should be the answer? YES or NO? I guess I-140 is green card application and not Labor Certificate.

Q3: How to pay the 100$ fee for Visa? When my appointment was at Toronto, confirmation package also had the receipt for Scotia Bank but I can’t see that in Ottawa confirmation package?

Need help to get/set an appointment

Hello Helpful folks,

I need to get my H1B Visa stamped before I can make a visit to India this November. Can anyone help me to figure out where to get an apointment to get the Visa stamped from Canada. I am in Boston, so the closest US Embassy in Canada would be Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. Is there a website where we can check for available dates, or is it okay to just get to either one of these consulates with all the necessary papers.

Please help ?

Thanks in advance,
Raj

Thanks Sraghava

1) How safe it is for my case
I don’t think you have anything to worry about.Just take an academic credential evaluation done on your non US degrees .You can get it done from W.E.S (World Education Service) or any other organization recognized by INS.
Toronto is very picky on North American degrees. I dont know about Calgary.I got mine done and took them with me.

:confused: Can you please tell me if they ask you to show your academic credential evaluation?

I think this would be just a back up plan. I agree with some1 here mentioned about this being judgment day...It would be hell of a day :cool:

Does any one know if in Calgary, do they return approved VISA same day or not :confused:

Rajhalder:

Check this website: http://www.nvars.com/

Those who help here, thanks to all of them and I will try to do my part aswell

still no response

my husband had appointment on 7 sept .they r still withholding his visa .is there any way i reach someone who will help me out.im alone in US with my 2 year old daughter & my husband is struck in canada since last 19 days.

uzx said:
my husband had appointment on 7 sept .they r still withholding his visa .is there any way i reach someone who will help me out.im alone in US with my 2 year old daughter & my husband is struck in canada since last 19 days.

uzx,

He is probably stuck for name check with the FBI and they take their own time. If he has never done anything wrong, it will be alright. keep faith and pray. It should be done in the next 1 week or so.
Just one way to learn you can manage things on your own :)

good luck!

My background:

- Pakistani muslim
- In Us from last 7 years
- Had 2 previous stamps from ISB
- Working with the same company from last 5 years
- company has filed for Labor (2.5 years ago)
- Masters degree from Karachi
- Kids are US citizen

Wife is visiting Pakistan and will get H4 stamp there and I have an appointment in Ottawa on 5th Dec but I am trying to change it to Toronto. Which is better?

And one question i have is about the degree evaluation. Is there any list of INS approved credentials evaluators? If there is Who are those? Or from where I can get the list?

Update 09/27/2006: AND I JUST CHANGED MY APPOINTMENT TO TORONTO :) ..... man I am double minded like hell... now its 12/05/2006 at 8:30am