H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

B.Kumar said:
Hi Can_Immig,

thanks for sharing ur experience.......I have couple of things to ask you....

1) Did u fill DS 157 form and bring it with u at the day of ur interview?

2) I got my appointment confirmation letter. In the end of first page of appt letter it says:

DS 157 Application form: Effective April 12,2006.All male and female nonimmigrant visa applicants , over age of 16, regardsless of nationality and regardless where they apply , they must submit this form.

I wounder,I have read on this website(http://www.amcits.com/form_ds_157.asp) that DS 157 form is necessary for those who belong to specific 7 countries which are listed by US government.

so, I want to confirm tht now this DS 157 form is mandatory for all countries or not????

plz reply soon....ur help is really apprechiating

DS-157 is required for ALL applicants(male and female) for those 7 countries listed as sponsors of terrorism.
For all other countries, it is only required for MALE applicants between the ages of 16 and 45.

Last edited by a moderator:
L1 to H1. Stamping in Canada...

Hi
My brother who works in a company on L1B visa, got H1B approval from same company. He is planning to go to Canada to get H1B visa stamped.
Are there any risks involved?
Has anybody done this recently? Can you please share your experience.

Thanks a million.

subramanya said:
My H1B visa is renewd for 3 more years now upto 2009. and current visa stamping in my passport is valid upto Nov.2006. Can I go for new visa stamping before the current visa stamping in my passport is expiring.

---- Yes, you can. After this what's the problem

Subramanya

However, I think you cannot apply for stamping more than 10 days before the new I-797 start date. Check the http://www.amcits.com site. you will find something to that effect on that site.

First time H1-B stamp in Canada. Entered US on a B2 visa -Not a Canada PR/resident

Hello

My wife came to US on a B2 ( tourist/visitor visa ) and got a H1-B approval in Oct 2005 and working on H1-B ever since and never been out of status. Is she eligible to go for a H1-B stamping at any of the US consulates in Canada ?

Never been out of US ever since she came on B2
No US degree
No Canadian PR/residency
Non Muslim citizen of India

Please help.

Thanks

First time H1-B stamp in Canada. Entered US on a B2 visa -Not a Canada PR/resident

Hello

My wife came to US on a B2 ( tourist/visitor visa ) and got a H1-B approval in Oct 2005 and working on H1-B ever since and never been out of status. Is she eligible to go for a H1-B stamping at any of the US consulates in Canada ?

No US degree
No Canadian PR/residency

Paystubs,tax documents, employment letter etc are all in place.

Please help.

Thanks

B2 to H1 is a tough deal. Best option is to get stamped from home country. In fact US consulates in Mexico clearly state:
Who Cannot Apply in Mexico:
Applicants who entered the US with a B visa issued in their home country that changed status to another visa category, e.g., F, J, H1B, but the visa did not have an annotation indicating intent to change visa status.

Desi4ever said:
Hello

No US degree
No Canadian PR/residency

Please help.

Thanks

Successful Visa Revalidation in Vancouver Consulate

Hello All--

Successfully completed visa revalidation for me (H1B) and spouse (H4) at Vancouver consulate on Sep 14.

We had a 8.30 appt. We got there around 8.15, got in the line. We carried all documents in clear folders and clear plastic covers. They don't allow cell phones or any other bags. Security check is quite intense. You can't have any sealed envelope among your documents. As long as you carry only the documents in a clear folder, you should be fine. Leave your cell phone / bag behind at the hotel. Several people went back to do that.

We were let in through security around 9-ish. Handed the application form, employer letter, I797 for self and application form for spouse and US $200 cash to the cashier. She gave a receipt and a number and asked us to go to visa officer ( in 20th floor). They did another security check there and we waited in the waiting area. Our number got called shortly.

All the VOs I saw were quite casual and not intimidating at all. The waiting area is very small so you can see/hear other people's interviews very clearly.
I did not see anyone being grilled. All were asked straight forward questions and for documents like employer letter, previous I797s and such.

The VO for us was of Indian origin and greeted us with a smile. He asked if I worked for so and so company as so and so title (based on my employer letter). I said "Yes". Asked me if I had previous visa stampings. I had 3 - 1 from India ( chennai) and 2 from DOS. He smiled and asked us to come next day at 3pm to collect the passports. We paid the reciprocity fee at the counter and collected the ticket for passport pickup at another counter.

We went the next day at 2.45pm ( and there were already 60-70 people ahead of us in line) and picked up the passports.

I am not a Canadian PR and have done bachelors in India (no US degrees).

On the return, you go to your airline counter and they give you a I94 and customs form. There is a US immigration area in the Vancouver airport. You complete the I-94 and customs formality there. Was quite easy for us. The officer did not ask me any questions.

Hope this helps.

If anyone has any questions particular to Vancouver, I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge.

The only confusion I have now is that the airline agent as well as the agent at the gate did not take our I94s when we left the US. The gate agent said that they did not need to take it if we were returning within 30 days. I have asked my attorney on what I should do about the old I-94s.

I was pleasntly surprised to find that my labour certification was received when I was in Canada. Case details in signature.

Help please

Hello Dear friends,

I request you all if you can please provide me solution/suggestion.

I came to us on B1 in 2000 and changed to F1 completed my BS in computer science in Honers List and from F1-> OPT and currently working in Fortune 100 Company got my H1 approved. From 2000 I have not left the country and have no stamping in my passport (Only B1), I have got an appointment in Ottowa ,in canada for my H1 stampings, so please let me know if I will face any problems and any suggestions.

Thanks

Canadian consulate Detroit timings

Is it true that the Canadian consulate accepts visitor visa appointments only from 8.30 to 11.30 am in the mornings??
I have an appointment for H1 stamping in Ottawa on 10/10 and need the Canadian visa for the same.
I tried calling the Canadian consulate but no one seems to respond...all I hear is the background music.

check their web site

aiyer100 said:
Is it true that the Canadian consulate accepts visitor visa appointments only from 8.30 to 11.30 am in the mornings??
I have an appointment for H1 stamping in Ottawa on 10/10 and need the Canadian visa for the same.
I tried calling the Canadian consulate but no one seems to respond...all I hear is the background music.

You can get that information from the particular consulate website.. Also by emailing them (email address is on the web site) . Los Angeles Canadian consulate only accepted from 8.30 to 10.30am on Mondays - Thursdays for same day return. If you submitted on Friday you get back the passport in mail.

LA Canadian consulate web site:
http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/can-am/los_angeles/rightnav/visa_location-en.asp

Check the website of the consulate you will be going to.

aiyer100 said:

Here is the Detroit Canadian Consulate information :
http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/can-am/detroit/rightnav/address_hours-en.asp

Looks like they accept from 8.30 to 11am on Mon-Fri. Based on my expereince at LA, I would advise you to be there by 8.20 to get an early ticket.

No education but 1-3 yrs of work in the US. Should we go to Canada for H1B stamping?

Hi All,

Will highly appreciate your inputs on our situation. Following is the issue:

[1] I have bachelors & masters (Electronics engg and Management) from India. In H1B status since Mar 2004. Work for a global software firm. Changed job twice. Visa stamp on passport valid till end Jan 2007. New I 797 valid till Apr 2009

[2] Wife came on H4 shifted to H1B. In H1B status since Oct 2005. Bachelors (Electronics Engg) from India. Works for a global software firm. Changed job once. No H1B stamped on passport. Stamped H4 expires on end Jan 2007 (based on my original H1B). New I 797 valid till 2008

[3] We are non-muslims. Never visited any Islamic nations. Education from Govt institutes in India. Standard degrees of BE and MBA

Questions are:

[1] Should we think of going to Canada (Vancouver) for stamping given that we do not have education from US. However, we have work-ex in US and all proper documentation etc (paystub, employer letter, all records, no out of status)

[2] Can we go 30-45 days in advance of the visa stamp expiring in our passports? Is the condition of not before 10 days of visa expiration a hard one?

Please give your inputs. Thanks in advance

Cheers

if possible try to go as close to the new 797 dates as possible...

i am in similar boat and i am going to australia for stamping.....infact i had got my previous visa stamped in australia(but it was a J2 visa...dependent of J1)

Thanks techy2468.

I just wanted to check one more thing. My latest 797 has a start date of Apr 2006 (shifted job) whereas the visa stamp on the passport has the validity till jan 2007. Similar is the case with my wife.

I just wanted to know whether the cut off of 10 days applies to latest 797 start or the stamped visa expiry? Anyone, Please enlighten

Thanks a ton again

my understanding is that it applies to your new 797.......because they want to give you future dates for travelling in and out.....

old visa is useless once you apply for a new visa....infact they cancel it even if they deny you a new visa.........

impo said:
Guys,
I am going to canada for my first H1B visa stamping soon. I did my Bachelors and Master in US. My only concern is that the company holding my H1 does not has many H1 people. Most probably I am second or third person in the company. I have been working for this company for last one and a half year now. Since the H1 peopel head count is very low, will it create any problem while stamping?

Thanks,
R

Hi impo,

i am in the same situation? but which consulate do you choose in canada? I have my interview in toronto consulate in last week of september. tell me about yours...... also i want to ask u one thing tht should we bring DS 156 & DS 157 form printout or we can fill these form there?

waiting for ur reply

any inputs??

pstvak said:
refer posts #1657 and #1658

Hi, I am non-muslim from India.

My first H1 stamp 1999, Tokyo, Japan.
H1 reavalidation 2002, Vancouver, Canada.
I travelled many times US<-->India and US<-->Canada.

I took an appointment for my next H1 revalidation at Vancouver, in November.

Since its my first time finger printing and never stamped in India, Does it take more time for visa revalidation? Or usual next day?

Thanks

H1 Stamping Delay

Hey Guys,
I got my H1B approved in June 2005, and since then I have been working, and delayed my stamping. Now, I am planning to go for stamping in October 2006 to Vancouver, will this delay in stamping cause any problem?

Thanks,
R

Visa Stamping @ Calgary

Hi All,
I'm going for my visa stamping @ calgary on 2nd Oct 06. If anyone have been there recently, kindly share your experience. Also any tip on where to stay and how to reach the consulate would be really helpful.

Thanks
Priya