H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Separate appointment for H4 is required or not

My husband is on H1 and we just booked the appointment for toronto. While applying it asked about the dependent accompanying him which is me on H4.
Now we get a appointment letter with only his name and dependent :1 Does that mean that I already have appointment or have to take a seperate one.

Thanks for any help in advance

H1-b & H4 revalidation in Toronto Canada

Hi,

Our H1& h4 are expired on Feb 2006 and we need to go for revaildation with our new I-797 valid from feb 2006 to Feb 2009. Is it advisable to go to Canada for getting the H1 restamped . Also as my US visa is expired in the passport will I get a canadian visa to enter Canada.

Thanks,

Montreal Stamping

Here is my experience for stamping in Montreal, Canada (July 2006)

Booked appointments through nvars.com and changed dates 2 times.

TIP: if you want calgary or montreal, look nvars.com right at night 12:00AM and you will get it. i guess oither consulate opens its appointments between 12:00 to 4:00 AM. There was no perticular reason i chose montreal.

Went to Washington DC for canada VISA. All they asked for was Appointment letter, I-797 passport, TRV form and photo (they have different specification of 35 X 45 but 50 X 50 from SEARS studio works just fine). got single entry valid for 6 months.

My background: 1 F1 Rejection (FYI: application received stamp is a rejection), 1 F1 approval - Masters in CS - status changed to H1 for company A - switched to company B - H1 VISA stamp in mumbai - wife on H4 & switched to H1 - myself switched company C - got 3 yrs extn - was in montreal for VISA stamping before previous VISA stamp expires by few days (note: one can't come back if one gets VISA rejected in canada or while it is under 221(g)).

My fears:
1. Last course in university I attended and first job I joined has 1+ yr gap while i was jobless on whole OPT and applied H1 in last month and took 3 months to get approved before joining the company - However, date wise I was covered in legal boundaries.
2. I was caught by FBI for taking pics with huge camera as photography is my hobby at NYC for which they took all of my info but felt sorry for bugging when found clean record. Had a fear of background check thing though.

My confidence: My US degree. H1 Stamping in Mumbai where officer didn't have any idea when I graduated(i am not assuming this - his question reflected for sure that they do not know exactly when do we graduate) and He tried to figure out what i did while OPT and I said truth - didn't work and was fine.

Interview:
Although i arrived 1.5 hours early, montreal consulate security let me in - and mostly they let you in unless you have more than 2 hours gap as they did with one of the guys. Security saw appointment letter & asked me to go to 19th floor window #13.

I was out in exactly half an hour from the time i reached to first window.

All windows has lady officers - not very good sign

Window # 13(hard to notice as it is not on the front side but hidden inside a long way in the middle): Give application forms and pay fees $100 US cash & Get Number.

Sit in area. (14 to 19 is for non-immigration visa, there is a display board with a ding tone up on new number)

hardly 5 mins and I got called on window#16: verified DS-156 information and changed my home country address to US residential address. and all phone numbers. Asked for 797 (i gave it whole bunch with 129, labor etc), bank statements, paystubs - took only last bank statement and last 3 paystubs. I offered empl. letter + W2s. she said no i don't need them (and she put a yellow note on previous stamp for cancellation, put $50 NIV note on passport) go and have a seat. officer will call you.

Observed few other interviews and mostly heard them answering to question "where were you between x and y dates"

10 more mins and i got another call from Window#19.
Asked for finger printing of both index fingers. did that.
So which Uni you studied from?: X
Where?: I gave city name.
She repeated "where?" : i said city, state.
She looked at my passport page and said where is previous passport?: I said i only have one.
She once again started browsing: I figured she wanted to see my F1 stamp. I said F1 stamp is right around middle.
She looked at date on my last 797 and said where what were you doing between your graduation and this date(approval date)? told her F1-OPT-h1-h1-h1-and extn history? (meanwhile she took a yellow stikcy note and wrote that date)
She said where were you while on OPT? - same city as i graduated in.
she said "where"?: city name, state.
She said what did you do then? : I did not work for whole year.
She said when did you graduate? : XYZ (now this date was 6 months after my last course and 4 months OPT approval date) She write that date on same yellow note.
She said :so you have not worked almost 9 months?
I said : yes, unfortunately.
She looked up at me and said why u didn't go back? : Yes i should have but I was looking for training job.
She frowned and expressed the fact that she didn't like it and looked in to my eyes but i was also confident that i know i haven't done anything wrong.
She (staring at me) asked how did you survive without a job? : I said my father supported me for education and sent me some more money while i was on OPT.
Said said where is your wife? : in USA.
What does she do: H1 temporary worked in IT field.
Same kind of work that you do?: Yes she is in software programming but different language- mine is X and her is Y.
Does she work for same company? No.
Do you work at client site or your company?: Client.
Who is the client?: XYZ.
Anybody ever applied greencard for you? : No.
Where are your parents? : in INDIA.
What do you intend to do after H1 ?: go back to india.

Gave me bankstatement and paystubs back. gave me a white paper which had $50 NIV fees or somehting and said "Alright go pay $50 NIV fees at window 14 and come back see me"

Sat on seat with all documents, searched for $50 and - went to 14 paid fees and took receipt and went to 19 to her and she gave me another receipt to pick up passport next day. that receipt says "this receipt doesn't gurantee VISA issuance"

I came out and asked security -"do they ever reject visa after this?" he said 99% cases no, they do not.

Couple of other guys having indian BE computer science degree with their wives also got h1 & h4 stamping fine.

=======================================================================

Montreal is very-very expensive city but I got lucky almost everywhere.

AIRLINE:
US airways connection through Philli/NY/DC is usually cheaper.

AIRPORT CONTACTS:
Contact Information

Montréal – Pierre Elliott Trudeau
International Airport
975 Roméo-Vachon Blvd North, Suite 317
Montréal, Québec, Canada H4Y 1H1
Telephone: (514) 394-7377
1 (800) 465-1213

Montréal–Mirabel International Airport
12300 Service A-4 Street
Mirabel, Québec, Canada J7N 1E8
1 (800) 465-1213

Aéroports de Montréal
Head Office
1100 René-Lévesque Blvd West, Suite 2100
Montréal, Québec, Canada H3B 4X8
Telephone: (514) 394-7200

CURRENCY EXCHANGE:
can't miss when you come out of airport. Take around USD$300 to USD$400 if you plan to enjoy food and nightlife for 2 night and 3 days.

MAPS & DIRECTIONS:
yahoo beta sucks in giving directions in canada with french streets. google is much better. take print outs of downtown and hotel, embassy etc. HOWEVER, once you pass curency xchange on airport, there are detailed map of downtown - very easy to miss but look out on your left.

HOTEL:
Hôtel Champ-de-Mars
756, Rue Berri Montreal, Quebec H2Y 3E6
www.hotelchampdemars.com
Tel: 514-844-0767
Fax: 514-844-4230
Toll Free:1-888-997-0767
Email: info@hotelchampdemars.com

CHECK-IN/CHECK-OUT TIME
Check-in time: 2 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Check-out time: 11 a.m.

My review for hotel:
>> 1.3 mile from embassy - can walk but better to take cab. Cab in canada is time based not distance - so be careful and be aware of the busy route driver might take you through. the straight way is through Rene-Levesque Blvd.
>>0.8 KM from central bus station. Just in downtown.
>> Don't know hotel has A.C. or not but mostly it is a little hot. controllers don't work. rooms are very small just enough to fit bed in. has TV. internet is just on ground level so you have to sit in lobby to browse.
>>probably cheapest hotel which has internet. sometimes Travelodge is cheap (50 Rene-Levesque Blvd West Montreal, QC, H2Z 1A2 CA 514-874-9090). book hotel in 2 weeks advance atleast.

Commuting:
The Aerobus airport shuttle service (tel.: 514-842-2281)
Airport YUL (Dorval airport/Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport) has Aerobus (written L'Aerobus on the bus) ticket window right when you come out of airport (no need to cross any road even) on the left. Bus comes almost every 20 minutes from 7a.m. to 1a.m. daily to montreal downtown (Montréal Central Bus Station - 505, De Maisonneuve Blvd). One way is CDN$13 and two way is CDN$23. Once you reach central station, there is comlimentry shuttle to any hotel you want in downtown for free - french people don't give much tip I assume :) so US$1 was big help to him i guess :)
There is Orleans Express (tel.: 842-2281, www.orleansexpress.com) from any long distance travelling like other city to montreal downtown.

TAXI:
Flat rate of $35 from YUL to montreal downtown

DRIVE: Easy to get lost just like any busy downtown on business day (if you do not have a detailed map or if you just have direction from internet).

US EMBASSY:
Consulate General Montréal
1155 rue St-Alexandre
Montréal, Québec
H3B 1Z1
(for courier deliveries)
Phone
(514) 398-9695
(514) 981-5059 emergency-after hours
(514) 398-0702 fax

(French keywods to note: Rue = street, sortie = exit)

Places to enjoy and visit:

OLD Montreal and montreal centerville are nice places to visit with lot of street life and restaurants. you can just walk in streets with your camera to enjoy street photography OR rent a bicycle just like NYC or chicago and enjoy montreal port. most restaurant menus are in french with english subtitles :) including couple of indian restaurant i found - kashmir and gandhi.

Night life is at its best in montreal. Cresent sreet is famous for dance bars. Music is sooooo cool and like very high watts speakers. french girls and teenagers are hot and dance fans even on business days.

PORT of entry:
I relased after but port of entry to us is at montreal airport itself. I guess due to the fact that they r friendly country. you get your i-94 right in YUL. and officers do not ask questions other than what do you do or what is your title. from the 3 or 4 other h1 guys i talked with.

If you think i helped you I hope you do share your experience in detail to help others and not be a selfish prick or take it easy not to post.

Let me know if you have any other question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Montreal/Toronto

I am currently on an H1 B visa...(Came here in 2002 on F1...was away in India on a leave of absence in 2003..due to some family issues...graduated with a Masters degree in ECE...in 2005..on OPT since then..but got my H1 in Nov 2005...on H1 status since 2006 Jan.
Am planning to go to Montreal/Toronto for H1 visa stamping.
Can the foll be an issue -
1. My leave of absence...it is however well documented though.and was for a genuine cause....and I had no issues when I returned in 2004 Jan...at the immigration counter.
2. I am into consulting now...though my major was in ECE. I work for a very small company...about 30 employees only..but am more like an employee there...get paid even during bench ..and do not have to depend on a project for that.
Apart from that I have a clean record overall.
Any suggestions/tips are welcome.
Last but not least - how accurate is the info given in the Waiting times page in the us.gov website...these dates seem to be messed up - atleast for the Bombay consulate.
thx
anand

Did you applied for multiple entry TRV visa and they gave you single entry visa or you actually applied for single entry visa?

------------------------------------------------------------------
lost_indian said:
Here is my experience for stamping in Montreal, Canada (July 2006)

Booked appointments through nvars.com and changed dates 2 times.

TIP: if you want calgary or montreal, look nvars.com right at night 12:00AM and you will get it. i guess oither consulate opens its appointments between 12:00 to 4:00 AM. There was no perticular reason i chose montreal.

Went to Washington DC for canada VISA. All they asked for was Appointment letter, I-797 passport, TRV form and photo (they have different specification of 35 X 45 but 50 X 50 from SEARS studio works just fine). got single entry valid for 6 months.

My background: 1 F1 Rejection (FYI: application received stamp is a rejection), 1 F1 approval - Masters in CS - status changed to H1 for company A - switched to company B - H1 VISA stamp in mumbai - wife on H4 & switched to H1 - myself switched company C - got 3 yrs extn - was in montreal for VISA stamping before previous VISA stamp expires by few days (note: one can't come back if one gets VISA rejected in canada or while it is under 221(g)).

My fears:
1. Last course in university I attended and first job I joined has 1+ yr gap while i was jobless on whole OPT and applied H1 in last month and took 3 months to get approved before joining the company - However, date wise I was covered in legal boundaries.
2. I was caught by FBI for taking pics with huge camera as photography is my hobby at NYC for which they took all of my info but felt sorry for bugging when found clean record. Had a fear of background check thing though.

My confidence: My US degree. H1 Stamping in Mumbai where officer didn't have any idea when I graduated(i am not assuming this - his question reflected for sure that they do not know exactly when do we graduate) and He tried to figure out what i did while OPT and I said truth - didn't work and was fine.

Interview:
Although i arrived 1.5 hours early, montreal consulate security let me in - and mostly they let you in unless you have more than 2 hours gap as they did with one of the guys. Security saw appointment letter & asked me to go to 19th floor window #13.

I was out in exactly half an hour from the time i reached to first window.

All windows has lady officers - not very good sign

Window # 13(hard to notice as it is not on the front side but hidden inside a long way in the middle): Give application forms and pay fees $100 US cash & Get Number.

Sit in area. (14 to 19 is for non-immigration visa, there is a display board with a ding tone up on new number)

hardly 5 mins and I got called on window#16: verified DS-156 information and changed my home country address to US residential address. and all phone numbers. Asked for 797 (i gave it whole bunch with 129, labor etc), bank statements, paystubs - took only last bank statement and last 3 paystubs. I offered empl. letter + W2s. she said no i don't need them (and she put a yellow note on previous stamp for cancellation, put $50 NIV note on passport) go and have a seat. officer will call you.

Observed few other interviews and mostly heard them answering to question "where were you between x and y dates"

10 more mins and i got another call from Window#19.
Asked for finger printing of both index fingers. did that.
So which Uni you studied from?: X
Where?: I gave city name.
She repeated "where?" : i said city, state.
She looked at my passport page and said where is previous passport?: I said i only have one.
She once again started browsing: I figured she wanted to see my F1 stamp. I said F1 stamp is right around middle.
She looked at date on my last 797 and said where what were you doing between your graduation and this date(approval date)? told her F1-OPT-h1-h1-h1-and extn history? (meanwhile she took a yellow stikcy note and wrote that date)
She said where were you while on OPT? - same city as i graduated in.
she said "where"?: city name, state.
She said what did you do then? : I did not work for whole year.
She said when did you graduate? : XYZ (now this date was 6 months after my last course and 4 months OPT approval date) She write that date on same yellow note.
She said :so you have not worked almost 9 months?
I said : yes, unfortunately.
She looked up at me and said why u didn't go back? : Yes i should have but I was looking for training job.
She frowned and expressed the fact that she didn't like it and looked in to my eyes but i was also confident that i know i haven't done anything wrong.
She (staring at me) asked how did you survive without a job? : I said my father supported me for education and sent me some more money while i was on OPT.
Said said where is your wife? : in USA.
What does she do: H1 temporary worked in IT field.
Same kind of work that you do?: Yes she is in software programming but different language- mine is X and her is Y.
Does she work for same company? No.
Do you work at client site or your company?: Client.
Who is the client?: XYZ.
Anybody ever applied greencard for you? : No.
Where are your parents? : in INDIA.
What do you intend to do after H1 ?: go back to india.

Gave me bankstatement and paystubs back. gave me a white paper which had $50 NIV fees or somehting and said "Alright go pay $50 NIV fees at window 14 and come back see me"

Sat on seat with all documents, searched for $50 and - went to 14 paid fees and took receipt and went to 19 to her and she gave me another receipt to pick up passport next day. that receipt says "this receipt doesn't gurantee VISA issuance"

I came out and asked security -"do they ever reject visa after this?" he said 99% cases no, they do not.

Couple of other guys having indian BE computer science degree with their wives also got h1 & h4 stamping fine.

=======================================================================

Montreal is very-very expensive city but I got lucky almost everywhere.

AIRLINE:
US airways connection through Philli/NY/DC is usually cheaper.

AIRPORT CONTACTS:
Contact Information

Montréal – Pierre Elliott Trudeau
International Airport
975 Roméo-Vachon Blvd North, Suite 317
Montréal, Québec, Canada H4Y 1H1
1 (800) 465-1213

Montréal–Mirabel International Airport
12300 Service A-4 Street
Mirabel, Québec, Canada J7N 1E8
1 (800) 465-1213

Aéroports de Montréal
Head Office
1100 René-Lévesque Blvd West, Suite 2100
Montréal, Québec, Canada H3B 4X8
Telephone: (514) 394-7200

CURRENCY EXCHANGE:
can't miss when you come out of airport. Take around USD$300 to USD$400 if you plan to enjoy food and nightlife for 2 night and 3 days.

MAPS & DIRECTIONS:
yahoo beta sucks in giving directions in canada with french streets. google is much better. take print outs of downtown and hotel, embassy etc. HOWEVER, once you pass curency xchange on airport, there are detailed map of downtown - very easy to miss but look out on your left.

HOTEL:
Hôtel Champ-de-Mars
756, Rue Berri Montreal, Quebec H2Y 3E6
www.hotelchampdemars.com
Tel: 514-844-0767
Fax: 514-844-4230
Toll Free:1-888-997-0767
Email: info@hotelchampdemars.com

CHECK-IN/CHECK-OUT TIME
Check-in time: 2 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Check-out time: 11 a.m.

My review for hotel:
>> 1.3 mile from embassy - can walk but better to take cab. Cab in canada is time based not distance - so be careful and be aware of the busy route driver might take you through. the straight way is through Rene-Levesque Blvd.
>>0.8 KM from central bus station. Just in downtown.
>> Don't know hotel has A.C. or not but mostly it is a little hot. controllers don't work. rooms are very small just enough to fit bed in. has TV. internet is just on ground level so you have to sit in lobby to browse.
>>probably cheapest hotel which has internet. sometimes Travelodge is cheap (50 Rene-Levesque Blvd West Montreal, QC, H2Z 1A2 CA 514-874-9090). book hotel in 2 weeks advance atleast.

Commuting:
The Aerobus airport shuttle service (tel.: 514-842-2281)
Airport YUL (Dorval airport/Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport) has Aerobus (written L'Aerobus on the bus) ticket window right when you come out of airport (no need to cross any road even) on the left. Bus comes almost every 20 minutes from 7a.m. to 1a.m. daily to montreal downtown (Montréal Central Bus Station - 505, De Maisonneuve Blvd). One way is CDN$13 and two way is CDN$23. Once you reach central station, there is comlimentry shuttle to any hotel you want in downtown for free - french people don't give much tip I assume :) so US$1 was big help to him i guess :)
There is Orleans Express (tel.: 842-2281, www.orleansexpress.com) from any long distance travelling like other city to montreal downtown.

TAXI:
Flat rate of $35 from YUL to montreal downtown

DRIVE: Easy to get lost just like any busy downtown on business day (if you do not have a detailed map or if you just have direction from internet).

US EMBASSY:
Consulate General Montréal
1155 rue St-Alexandre
Montréal, Québec
H3B 1Z1
(for courier deliveries)
Phone
(514) 398-9695
(514) 981-5059 emergency-after hours
(514) 398-0702 fax

(French keywods to note: Rue = street, sortie = exit)

Places to enjoy and visit:

OLD Montreal and montreal centerville are nice places to visit with lot of street life and restaurants. you can just walk in streets with your camera to enjoy street photography OR rent a bicycle just like NYC or chicago and enjoy montreal port. most restaurant menus are in french with english subtitles :) including couple of indian restaurant i found - kashmir and gandhi.

Night life is at its best in montreal. Cresent sreet is famous for dance bars. Music is sooooo cool and like very high watts speakers. french girls and teenagers are hot and dance fans even on business days.

PORT of entry:
I relased after but port of entry to us is at montreal airport itself. I guess due to the fact that they r friendly country. you get your i-94 right in YUL. and officers do not ask questions other than what do you do or what is your title. from the 3 or 4 other h1 guys i talked with.

If you think i helped you I hope you do share your experience in detail to help others and not be a selfish prick or take it easy not to post.

Let me know if you have any other question.

rahme said:
Did you applied for multiple entry TRV visa and they gave you single entry visa or you actually applied for single entry visa?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Applied for single entry as i had no reason to give if they ask why i need multiple...so i assume better to be safe but luckily they don't take interview unless necessary.

Have an appointment for August 15th in Montreal.

The question I have is:
What are the fees associated for H1B Stamping?
Can we take US Dollars and pay in cash? or do we need a bank's deposit slip/cashier's check etc?

Please advise
Thanks.

Experience for stamping in Toronto, Canada

Experience for stamping in Toronto, Canada (July 2006)

Day 1
8:00AM Reached at Counsulate Appointment was at 8:30AM
8:15AM Security person check all ur documents.
8:20AM Reached inside standing in line

8:25 AM Called me on first Window
Ques : Which VISA u are Appying ?
Me : H1B
Ques : How long u are in US ?
Me :8Yrs ?
Ques : so ur H1B's Six Years Finish in 2004 ?
Me : Yes but My Labor was not approved so they gave me extenstions If u need I have all my 5 I-797A
Ques: No I don't need but let me see if u have Letter from Department of Labor ?
Me : I gave her Labor Approval I got Last Year and I-140
Ques : We need ur High school Information on the Form ?
Me : I wrote it
Ques : Have a seat we will call u

9:00AM Called me for Finger Print Left and Right

Have a seat

10:00AM Called me again on other Window

Ques : Can I see ur Companys Letter ?
Me : Yes and I gave
Ques : He gave me Green Paper and told me to go upstair and pay Visa Fee
Me : I did that

Came down and gave him the Slip He told me to come pick up tommorow 3~4PM

--------------------------------
Day 2
Reached 2:30PM to pick up Passport

3:00PM I got the Passport but Missing Labor Certificate I asked them about it and in 5 Min they call me on window and gave me my Labor Certificate
It Went Smooth . But Make sure if you are over 6Yrs have proper document regarding that

Anyone got H1 stamping in Toronto recently

Hi All,

My wife is going towards the end of this month to get H1 stamping (she has H4 stamping now, but has been working on H1 for 1.5 yrs). I heard that the US consulate in Toronto no longer allows passports to be picked up the next day, but instead mail it to the applicant. Has anyone got their stamping done at Toronto? What is the fastest way to get the passport back after stamping?

Thanks in advance

nervewreck said:
Have an appointment for August 15th in Montreal.

The question I have is:
What are the fees associated for H1B Stamping?
Can we take US Dollars and pay in cash? or do we need a bank's deposit slip/cashier's check etc?

Please advise
Thanks.

Cash only in montreal : $100 USD(non-refundable) + $50 USD(if you get VISA & if you are indian) else depends on country.

Stamping in Canada.. Questions?

I am planning to go to Canada to get my h1b Visa stamped. Here is my situation. I am on my 9 yr h1b Extention (Came to US in Mar 1998 - Labor still pending) and my Visa that is stamped on my passport expired in August 2004. I have an aproved I 797 till March 2007. I have not travelled outside of US since 2 and half yrs and all my education had been in India. I am working for the same company since last 5 yrs. I would like to travel to India in Nov 2006.

Now my questions are:

Considering my situation, will there be any problem?

What should i answer when they ask whether a GC had been filed for me?

Which is safest(meaning one that doesn't create problems) US consulate in Canada?

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi folks,
If a person has been staying in US for past 6 years on H and L visa, is it safe to go to cananda for 7th year visa stamping?

I dont have masters from US. changed my employer once on 2005.

Is there any specific US consulte where success rate is high?

Apart from W2, paystub, bank statememet, employment letter, LCA, approved 797 and original marksheets are there any more documents required?

If visa officer asks about GC what should I tell. Obviously I am applying for 7th yr extn means its based on GC and pending labor. What should be the best answer for GC related questions.

can we apply online visa appointment at canada and 15 days later India also(as a backup).
is there any website which gives exact date of appointment dates for US embassy in canada without filling all passport realted info . similar to https://www.vfs-usa.co.in/frame.aspx

I would highly appreciate if you can share your valuable information or experiences while answering my queries.
regards,
asish

asishpanda said:
Hi folks,
If a person has been staying in US for past 6 years on H and L visa, is it safe to go to cananda for 7th year visa stamping?

I dont have masters from US. changed my employer once on 2005.

Is there any specific US consulte where success rate is high?

Apart from W2, paystub, bank statememet, employment letter, LCA, approved 797 and original marksheets are there any more documents required?

If visa officer asks about GC what should I tell. Obviously I am applying for 7th yr extn means its based on GC and pending labor. What should be the best answer for GC related questions.

can we apply online visa appointment at canada and 15 days later India also(as a backup).
is there any website which gives exact date of appointment dates for US embassy in canada without filling all passport realted info . similar to https://www.vfs-usa.co.in/frame.aspx

I would highly appreciate if you can share your valuable information or experiences while answering my queries.
regards,
asish

For the rest of your questions, I suggest you browse this forum a little and decide the best answer for yourself.
For GC question here is my lawyer informed me:
Pending labor is means "NO" to GC even in Form DS-156. Application for immigration is I-140. So unless you have filed I-140, your answer would remain NO. Plus H-VISA is dual intent, meaning VO would not deny H1 Holder with GC intention from his/her sponser company.

However, if someone else like relative has filed your GC etc it might be red alert for them I believe. Also once your I-140 is filed, your relatives in your home country will be on red alert for any US VISA.

lost_indian said:
For the rest of your questions, I suggest you browse this forum a little and decide the best answer for yourself.
Pending labor is means "NO" to GC even in Form DS-156. Application for immigration is I-140. So unless you have filed I-140, your answer would remain NO. Plus H-VISA is dual intent, meaning VO would not deny H1 Holder with GC intention from his/her sponser company.

---What if somebody is in 7 year extn Labour still pending? Should they answer 'NO' in form DS156.

--- My understanding, based on labour pending beyond 365days only can apply for 7th year extn. So how can you say 'NO' in DS-156?

prman said:
lost_indian said:

---What if somebody is in 7 year extn Labour still pending? Should they answer 'NO' in form DS156.

I guess answer would still be a NO to Application for immigration since there is a difference between H1 extn while on PENDING LABOR which is 1 YR and extn while on I-140 which is 3 YRS. So when VO asks if company has filed GC you can say the truth. Say "Not yet but i am applying based on Pending Labor" which is 100% truth. You can anyway confirm this with your company lawyer.

I was not in 7th yr extn but I had pending labor and I confirmed with Lawyer and said NO in DS-156 and said NO when VO asked me while interview.

--- My understanding, based on labour pending beyond 365days only can apply for 7th year extn. So how can you say 'NO' in DS-156?

What VO and DS-156 form asks is Application for immigration (Green Card).
From what I interprete - Labor is "not yet" application for immigration. And that is why Labor is still substitutable by another person.

But in anyway - Please confirm with your lawyer and let us all know what is his point of view.

Vancouver stamping - Places to stay / How to commute

I have an appointment at the Vancouver Consulate on Sep 14th for my 7th yr H1B extn and spouse's H4.

Can anyone please provide some information about good-but-not-too-expensive places to stay near the consulate? We have a 2 yr old (US Citizen) who we are taking along.. Also is it easy to rent a car and drive around using maps like in the US?

Any tips about the Vancouver consulate and the city as such would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time..

lost_indian said:
I guess answer would still be a NO to Application for immigration since there is a difference between H1 extn while on PENDING LABOR which is 1 YR and extn while on I-140 which is 3 YRS. So when VO asks if company has filed GC you can say the truth. Say "Not yet but i am applying based on Pending Labor" which is 100% truth. You can anyway confirm this with your company lawyer.

I was not in 7th yr extn but I had pending labor and I confirmed with Lawyer and said NO in DS-156 and said NO when VO asked me while interview.

What VO and DS-156 form asks is Application for immigration (Green Card).
From what I interprete - Labor is "not yet" application for immigration. And that is why Labor is still substitutable by another person.

But in anyway - Please confirm with your lawyer and let us all know what is his point of view.
--------------------------------
lost_indian - You are right I-140 is the Immigrant petition and should answer 'NO' for the question 36 in DS-156. I just got an answer from my Attorney. I was assuming that based on labour pending beyond 365days you can answer 'Yes' in DS-156. Which I am wrong.

Successful H1B Stamping Ottawa July 13th

I have been a passive reader of this and other forums for a long time, and I have benefited immensely, so I thought I could share my successful stamping experience. I know I am a little late in posting this, but better late than never. I have two things to share here - 1) our PR in Canada and the procedures about it, and 2) H1-B stamping in Ottawa.

Whoever is not interested in the Canadian PR stuff, please skip this paragraph. We (me, my spouse, and our 11 month old) had till early Sept to go to Canada border and show the CPR (confirmation of permanent residency) card to remain eligible. So we chose mid July. Drove via I-81 and reached the 1000 islands border at around 1 PM on Jul 12th. The Canadian immigration people at the border were extremely nice, well mannered and cooperative. The whole process was done within an hour, and it took even that long due to our mistake. We went there in our other car (van) that was still on loan and so we did not have the van "title". You can only bring "your" things into Canada if you are "migrating" (different matter if you enter on visitor visa). But the supervisor was kind enough to let us go this time. In general, a very pleasant experience.

Next morning, we had appointment for 9.30. We had to stamp 2 different H1Bs for my spouse and me. We reached consulate at 8.30 and waited in the small line outside. The guard came to us and said since we have a small kid and it was getting hot, he would let us in early. Now one advice for everyone. We had carried a LOT of documentation with us, so much that it had to be carried in 4 different plastic bags. We carried house papers, old certificates, utility bills, and what not. The reason being in case this did not work out and we could not go back to USA, we should have all our documentation with us. That is not really needed, and even if you carry it with you, leave it in the hotel safe. The guard said there is no way the security people will let us in with that much stuff (plus the baby things). We told him we want to take a chance, as we don’t want to go to hotel and come back so late. He let us in. Another tip - even if you have to go back to hotel for something, DON'T PANIC. There was a very nice and jolly Sardarji there with 8.00 appointment but he had to go to hotel and when he came back it was 8.45 already. I know he got his work done. The lady at the metal detector counter told us it is against policy to allow so much stuff. We also had 2 pairs of clothes for the kid, 4-5 diapers, 2 bottles, some toys, etc. Again, being the nice people that they are, she let us in, but warned that we cannot do it next time. They actually made us eat a little bit of his formula, food bottle, water, etc to make sure it is safe. Another thing is that even though the instructions clearly say no bags (except plastic), purse, etc, a lot of people had carried purses with them and were arguing with the outside guard as to why it was not allowed. It's OK to be without a purse for 2 hours.

Once inside, we paid the $200 for my spouse and me and gave original 797s and passports. Waited for about 15 minutes. Our kid was in full-fledged playing mood and was making noise against our wishes. One lady at the counter called my wife in and said that they are actually trying to fast track our application J Sure enough, within 2 minutes, we got called at window 3, gave our fingerprints, showed employer's letters for both, and he asked us to collect the passports at 3 PM next day. That's it!! Overall, it was a very pleasant experience, and we actually got out by 9.15 (thanks to our kid). There were lots of Indians inside (mostly well behaved, contrary to what I read in some posts). Whatever I saw in 15 minutes, everyone got his or her visas. So if you have the status maintained and have the required paperwork, it is a breeze. Next day, we went in at 3, got the PPs back at 3.15.

Is this risky

Hi,

I am on H1 working in US for the past 7 years and i will be getting my h1 extension soon. My canadian landing visa also came and the expiry date on the visa is in nov. My wife till now was in h4 and she got a new h1 approval and her start date for the job is in nov. She has a masters degree from US. So is it safe for us to get U.S visa stamping from canada in this situation, especially for my wife ,who never was in h1 before and she will not have a pay check when we go for stamping. Has any one been in this situation before and got their h1 stamped from canada?

Or is it advaisable not to get stamping from Canada?

Thanks

Need clarification about H1B stamping in Toronto

Hi,

As per the consulate website (http://www.amcits.com/toronto.asp
) they return the passport/visa by courier. Is that true even if you are travelling from US for H1B stamping? I thought they give you visa next business day.

Please let me know if you know the correct rule.

Thanks,
ODSNK