H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

H1b Stamping - Toronto

cpt71 said:
Hi Priya,
I have few questions for you. Was ur Old VISA stamping still valid while you went for this new one ? Which year of H-1 are you IN now ?

cpt71

Hi,
Yes. My old H1B from my old company was valid when I went for stamping. I dont understand what you mean by "Which year of H-1 are you IN now ?"

Thanks,
Priya

Visa Re-validation with an existing valid visa

Hello Again Everyone!

I still need some guidance on how to proceed with getting my H1B revalidated while my current H1B visa stamp in my passport is still valid.

I plan to go to Canada to apply for a 7th year extension for my visa. The reason I want to go there before my visa expires is so that I can enter the US on my old visa that is still valid in case they need to run a background check.

I have heard that people can go to a consulate and if the consulate needs to run a background check, the applicant can come back to the US (if the visa is still valid) until the consulate contacts the applicant to let him know that it's okay for him to come back and apply for the visa.

Is this true?

My visa is valid till Oct. 1st 2006. I plan to go to Canada at the end of August. I will have my I-797 before I go to the consulate.

Citizanship: Pakistan
Years in the US: 12+ (F-1 and H-1 NEVER out of status, visa always stamped)
Visa: Valid H1B (6th year with same employer) Visa expires Oct. 1st, 2006
Education: BS and MBA from the US

Could anyone guide me? Please......

Thanks!

Hi Priya,
Thanks for the info.

Priya_Suri said:
Hi,
Yes. My old H1B from my old company was valid when I went for stamping. I dont understand what you mean by "Which year of H-1 are you IN now ?"

Thanks,
Priya

Hi Gurus,
Iam new to this forum and want to know few things about Re-Validation of VISA in canada.

1. My old VISA stamping expired Apr 2005.
2. I have a valid 1-797 (7th year) till Oct 2006.(My company has applied for the 8th year extn on Jun 2,2006).
3. I last entered US in May 2004 and i think my finger prints were taken.

I want to go to Canada for VISA stamping once i get my H-1B approval.

If i dont get the VISA will i be able to enter US ?

Can someone help me with these questions !!

JK

H1 B visa stamping

Hi I am planning to go to toronto for visa stamping. In your post you mention you went to Scotia bank to pay fees, can you explain in detail the process of paying the fees in toronto and how much is the fees.

Thanks.

novice_dlh said:
My Experience:

My appointment was on March 27. I went to Toronto on March 26. I drove to Canada through Niagara Falls.

Port of Entry:

Officer: Show me ur status card
me: I am on work permit.
Officer: Purpose of visit ?
me: To get H1B stamping
Officer: Where r u staying ?
me: friend's place
Officer: How long do u plan to stay ?
me: 3 days
Officer: why 3 days ?
me: appointment on Monday and get the passport next day.
Officer : OK go ahead.

The appointment was at 1:00pm. Reached downtown at around 8:00 AM. But the Scotia bank I went opened at 9:30 AM. So waited till 9:30 AM, got the receipt and reached the consulate at around 10:00 AM.

The security officer at the entrance asked for the appointment letter. Even though my appointment was at 1:00 PM he let me in.

After going through the security check I was in the line around 10:15 AM.

Around 11:00 AM, I was called to submit:

a) Passport
b) I-797
c) Scotia Receipt
d) DS-156
e) DS-157

Officer: What is ur status ?
Me: F1
Officer: Which visa did u apply for now ?
Me: H1B
Officer: When did u come to US ?
Me: XXX
Officer : When did u change ur status to H1 ?
Me : XXX

While asking me all the above details she compaerd the DS-156 details with my passport(name, number, issuance etc). Then she asked me wait in a second line for finger priting.

Around 12:00 I was called for finger printing. It took about 30 secs for that.

Again waited to be called for the interview.

At 12:45, I was called for the interview.

VO: Which company do u work for?
Me: XX
VO: So u went to XX Univ.?
Me: yes sir
VO: Whats ur major.?
Me: XXX
VO: Did u work on OPT.?
Me: yes sir

Handed over the green slip and asked me pay the $50 on the third floor.Paid the amt and returned to the same counter. Then the VO gave me a receipt and asked me collect the passport next day at 3:00 pm.

It was a easy process except for the wait. The VO did not ask for any docs.

I saw everyone getting the visa.

So guys, be confident in whatever u answer and have the docs.

Thanks,

rdmkr3 said:
Hi I am planning to go to toronto for visa stamping. In your post you mention you went to Scotia bank to pay fees, can you explain in detail the process of paying the fees in toronto and how much is the fees.

Thanks.

Process in detail:

-go to any Scotia Bank in Ontario with the 4 deposit slips you got after nvars application

-Tell cashier you want to pay for visa interview @ US consulate ($100 US also payable in equiv candian $)

- cashier returns 3 stamped deposit slips to you

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to share my experience of H1B visa stamping in New Delhi (U.S counsulate).

The reason why it was critical for me because it was the first stamping after i got my H1B in the U.S

It went smooth ... roughly it took 5 minutes ...

Some important things to consider:

1) Dress up nicely in coat, pants and a tie.
2) Have a smile on your face
3) Do not drive ... traffic woes can show stress on your face.. rather take a taxi or tell someone to drive you there while you relax on the backseat.
4) Sleep early the night before the interview
5) Carry every possible document you can to prove the credibility of your company and your job.
6) Carry your degrees (bachelor's and master's) even if they are framed.
7) Talk nicely in English (it should be easily understandable by the counselor officer)

LC_Ki_Kahaani said:
Just wanted to share my experience of H1B visa stamping in New Delhi (U.S counsulate).

The reason why it was critical for me because it was the first stamping after i got my H1B in the U.S

It went smooth ... roughly it took 5 minutes ...

Some important things to consider:

1) Dress up nicely in coat, pants and a tie.
2) Have a smile on your face
3) Do not drive ... traffic woes can show stress on your face.. rather take a taxi or tell someone to drive you there while you relax on the backseat.
4) Sleep early the night before the interview
5) Carry every possible document you can to prove the credibility of your company and your job.
6) Carry your degrees (bachelor's and master's) even if they are framed.
7) Talk nicely in English (it should be easily understandable by the counselor officer)

congrats LC_Ki_Kahaani ,

Could you please share the little bit more of your experience and about your case?

Like:

For which year did you get your stamping (6th, 7th, ...9th..)?

Could you please lit the questions that VO/consular asked you?

I am on my 10th year of H1B visa and recently got my 3 years extension based on Approved I140. I am planning to get my passport stamped. Do you see any issue for me?

Please help.

thanks,
VivekS

H1-B Reavaldation

Hi guys,
I don't have valid visa on my passport. My 6yr visa was expired on Jun-2005. I got 7th yr visa which was expired on Jun-2006. Now I have 3 year visa. I am planning to revalidate this visa.
Since I don't have valid visa in my passport, is it going to be a problem if I go to Canada. Does anyone have experiance on this. Please post your experience.
Should I have to go to India and get this stamping. There is no appointment date avilable in Toronto, ottawa. Please help me on this.

Sure!

Sure .. let me put my experience properly in words and I'll post it here in a day or so ... take care

vsaxena said:
congrats LC_Ki_Kahaani ,

Could you please share the little bit more of your experience and about your case?

Like:

I am on my 10th year of H1B visa and recently got my 3 years extension based on Approved I140. I am planning to get my passport stamped. Do you see any issue for me?

Please help.

thanks,
VivekS

Visa

Hi vsaxena
Do you have valid visa on your passport?

vsaxena said:
congrats LC_Ki_Kahaani ,

Like:

Please help.

thanks,
VivekS

Hi Gurus,
Please help me..

I don't have valid visa on my passport. I didn't go for stamping for the last yr.
And also I have renewed my passport.
Now I have 3 yr visa based on I-140. Will that be a problem if I go to canda for stamping...

Thanks in Advance.

Hi,
Does anybody know if anybody meeting the following criteria has been refused/rejected in Canada

1) Someone who has a US Masters degree
2) Someone who has got stamping earlier from Toronto, Canada
3) Canadian PR.

Also could you tell me best time to try for appointment for Toronto. When do dates open ?

7th year extension in Toronto Consulate

All,
My 6th year expires in Sep '06 and I need to have my 7th year stamped (as I travel outside of US for personal and work reasons). I have an appointment for the Toronto Consulate in Aug '06.

Is it advisable to get extension from Canada? What are pontential causes for denial? What happens if it gets denied? Do I have to stay in Canada or will I have to go back to India or can I return to US?

Please let me know if you have experienced similar situation.
Regards,
M

H1 Visa stamping - Canada

Iam planning to go for h1b visa extension to Ottawa,CA.

Iam in US since 2002 on h1b and this is my third h1b.My current visa is expiring on 09-10-2006 and I have an appointment on 09-06-2006.

If I got stamping well and good. In any worst case my stamping got rejected or they ask me to go to home country, then can I come back to US with my 3 days valid visa and new 1-797.

Appointment date availability in Ottawa

Hi everyone,
Can anybody tell me what's Ottawa's H1 interview's appointment date currently? Is it in August or Sepetember? Thanks a lot.
JYW

Ottawa does not give any appointment 3 weeks prior . I have mine scheduled on 22nd Aug. I think thats the week they are up to right now. it should soon open for next slot
be watchful.

JYW2004 said:
Hi everyone,
Can anybody tell me what's Ottawa's H1 interview's appointment date currently? Is it in August or Sepetember? Thanks a lot.
JYW

Currently its Sept 26th

...In Ottawa, the last appointment date is Sept 26th. Check @ 12:00 EST to see the dates. As of last night, it was Sept 26th. all the best!! (They say 8 weeks in advance, not 3 as someone above quoted)