H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

if you have an urgent need to visit your home country or business trip overseas, only then consider getting stamping done.

toronto consulate is known to cancel previous visa even before you face the visa officer interviewing you. (please refer to my post on this thread for details).
please note that you can visit otawa consulate atmost 10 days before the start date of your new I797A.

MohamedAzeez said:
Hello there,

I have booked the appointment in ottawa (canada) june 2006 for me and my wife for H1b and H4 visa renewals. Our current visa's on the passport are valid until july 2006. We have a son(US citizen) who is 2 yrs and doing his preschool.

I have a Bachelors in physics degree and partime MBA from chennai,India and have been working here since 2003.

I would request your advice on the following 3 questions:

1. whether i should go to Ottawa for renewal, should i expect any delay? if in case for some reason they want to do some more checks, can we come back to USA since our current visa's are valid until july (due to work and my son's preschool) and go to canada when the security checks are done to do the stamping?..Is it possible?

2. If the above is not an option, can we stay back in USA, even though the visa's on the passports are expired but we have H1b petition valid for another 3yrs.

3. Our driving licences are valid only as of the visa expiry dates on the passport, will the DMV renew our licences based on the renewed h1b petition?

We would very much appreciate your replies, since it will help us deciding on how to deal with the mortgage commitments and other issues.

Thanks/ Mr.and Mrs. Mohamed Azeez

LabourIL,
google on cic as some one told and u will have all the info. For ur wife and u fill only one forum but take 2 cheques each of $65. Thats it.

Visa appointment date

Can anyone post or IM me about the earliest available appointment date at the US Consulate in Mexico for a H1 visa?

H1 marked 221(g)

My visa was marked 221(g) in Ottawa recently. I was told that I have to provide additional documents and information.I have a MS degree in Computer Science from a US university.This was my 7th year extension.They have asked me to provide additional paperwork and apply in home country as my application needs further administrative processing. I have a canadian PR but I was asked to apply in my home country as they said that consulate in my home country will be notified about my case.

I have been asked following additional docs

1) Company Tax documents
2) Company photos
3) Tax returns of all previous years and matching the LCA. If it does not match LCA , then strong proof why it does not match.
4) Company contracts of all current clients and ability of the company to pay.
5) All bank statements showing my deposits of paychecks.
6) Client photos.

My company is a top consulting organization with more than 1000 employees worldwide. Why are they asking me so many documents?
Does someone know if I can apply again in canada or do I need to apply in home country only at this time. Is Mexico a good option to apply?

Guyz,
I have F1-H1 visa appointment on June12th and my validity period starts from june 10th,can i prepone my date to say 5th? :(

any help wld be appreciated :)

will you get an appointment on 5th june, is the question. I think you can go 10 days before the start date on I797 for consulates in canada.
chinnu84us said:
Guyz,
I have F1-H1 visa appointment on June12th and my validity period starts from june 10th,can i prepone my date to say 5th? :(

any help wld be appreciated :)

tusharvk said:
will you get an appointment on 5th june, is the question. I think you can go 10 days before the start date on I797 for consulates in canada.

thanks for reply buddy :) theres nothing in trying buddy,i just want to make sure i am on the right path before actually trying for the date i wanted to :(

does nvars allow preponing w\o first cancelling a confirmed appointment?
chinnu84us said:
thanks for reply buddy :) theres nothing in trying buddy,i just want to make sure i am on the right path before actually trying for the date i wanted to :(

nope,it doesnt.. :( i will try to create a random id and check if the dates are available then i will go ahead and do cancel the appointment and reschedule another one :D

Please help, 1st H1 Visa stamping in Ottawa

I'm planning to have my first H1 visa stamping in Ottawa. My status is straight out, F1-OPT-H1. This is my 4th year H1 extension. Is it risky to have the 1st H1 visa stamping in Ottawa?

Please share any experience if you had the similar situation. Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did any of you guys get a phone message from the Consulate/Embassy where your appointment is? I received a message today on my answering machine saying there is a chance there will be administrative processing in my case which could take longer than usual and that I should be prepared for that. I just wanted to know if everyone is receiving these messages or is it just people like me from Pakistan etc..... :confused:

Stoned!

No appointments available?

chinnu84us said:
i did book the appointment on june8th :D

Chinnu84US,

I have been trying to book an appointment at www.nvars.com everyday for 3 weeks, and it always shows no appointments available at Ottawa and Toronto. How did you successfully book the appointment on June 8th? Did you use online system or call the 900 number? Which consulate did you choose? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

srsin said:
keep checking 2-3 times a day. u will find availability, book it rigght away.

This is the advice that I took and it worked for me. Originally I found an appointment only at Vancouver, but later was able to find something in Ottawa. Of course it cost me an extra $9.50 CDN but I think that's cheaper than buying a plane ticket for Vancouver... :)

Stoned!

US&Canada said:
Chinnu84US,

I have been trying to book an appointment at www.nvars.com everyday for 3 weeks, and it always shows no appointments available at Ottawa and Toronto. How did you successfully book the appointment on June 8th? Did you use online system or call the 900 number? Which consulate did you choose? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dude,
Keep checking nvars website ever hour :) .I booked mine at around noon i guess.There were lot of vacancies at that point of time,i still think there are lots to be filled :eek: Hope you will be successful in getting an appointment.

Visa Stamping @ Calgary

Situation :
I am on my 7th. year extension. Going to Calgary,Canada on May 15th. for stamping/Visa Revalidation. My earlier Visa Stamping got expired way back in Mar-2005. I am taking transit visa from Canadian Consulate, LA. I have a valid I-94 till Aug-2007. I have a canadian PR.

Doubt : <<My appology if this question has been already answered on this forum. >>

I heard that in case the US consulate at Calgary,Canada reject and ask us to go to Home Countery (India) for Stamping, we can come back to USA within 30days of transit Visa date's with a Valid I-94. Is it true or this rule has been changed and we need visa stamping to return to USA.

Please reply.

Regds,
Skp

Dear- 30 days re-validation rule will be applied only if you do not apply for new visa in Canada or Maxico.
In case any one apply for visa nd get rejected then s/he needs to go back to home country.

Successful but stressful H1b and H4 stamping @ Ottawa

Ok, its payback time:

Embassy: Ottawa
Appt Date: May 1st
My Status: F1-Opt-H1b
Wife's Status: B1-H4
Docs Brought: Every document you read about browsing through this forum.
Port of Entry: 1000 Islands (no problems, was smooth)

@the Embassy:
Window 7: for submission of 797A, ds156, ds157, app fee ($100 cash)
Windows 1,2,3: Male VOs interviewing.
Window 4: Lady entering ds forms to PC.

I don't want to psych anyone out but window 2 was asking more questions than the other 2, but all off them were issuing visas.

Window 1 interviewed us for 3 mins, at most. Asked for Marriage certificate, my US diploma and letter from employer, only. Told us to pick up passports next day 3pm.

Folks please do not stress too much; most of the people we saw did not know what to do, couldn't even speak properly when they face the VO. And please do yourselves a favour and do not wear jeans and tshirts, for god's sake.

Oh, one last thing, we're from a Muslim country and did not receive a call about adm. processing from the embassy beforehand.

This will probably be my last in this thread until our next stamping. If you have any questions, send me an email.

Special thanks here go to the nice VO at Window 1.

Thanks

chinnu84us said:
Dude,
Keep checking nvars website ever hour :) .I booked mine at around noon i guess.There were lot of vacancies at that point of time,i still think there are lots to be filled :eek: Hope you will be successful in getting an appointment.

Thanks, chinnu84us! I successfully booked mine 5 minutes ago! You're right - I need to check it every hour. :)

Hello coolmaro,

Congrats on your successful and painfree stamping. I hope you are still reading this thread as I had just one quick question.

Since you mentioned that you come from a Muslim country and did not get any messages prior to stamping regarding extensive administrative processing (like I did... :( ), I just wanted to know if you had to go through the Special Registration process when exiting and re-entering the US.

Thank you for sharing your experience, helps us nervewrecks a lot.

Stoned!