H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Thanks for the detailed post.
I do have one question though.
Do you have a US Master's degree?
Is there a requirement that you need a US degree to get your visa renewed from Canada (or Mexico)?

anyone from New England

I have an appointment this week on April 20th in Ottawa. Is anyone going this week from New England area. Please let me know. Also any other advice for Ottawa stamping would be great.

Thanks.

H4 to H1B

My wife came to US on H4 last year and moved to H1B. Obviously she doesn't have a US Degree. We booked appointment in vancover in may for H1B stamping. I heard that one needs to have a US degree/not a first time h1 stamping otherwise the visa are getting rejected.
Please suggest if its really risky to go for stamping to canada or mexico and not advisable.
Also if visa gets rejected can my wife come back to US as she has valid H4B in her passport.

Thanks,
npk

I do not know if anyone can comment on the risks involved in her H1b stamping in Canada; however, one suggestion would be for her not to leave the US unless she absolutely has to.

the answer to your second question is no (atleast from canada).

pnadella said:
My wife came to US on H4 last year and moved to H1B. Obviously she doesn't have a US Degree. We booked appointment in vancover in may for H1B stamping. I heard that one needs to have a US degree/not a first time h1 stamping otherwise the visa are getting rejected.
Please suggest if its really risky to go for stamping to canada or mexico and not advisable.
Also if visa gets rejected can my wife come back to US as she has valid H4B in her passport.

Thanks,
npk

Visa stamping is not a perfect science. No one can assure you one way or the other. If you really need the stamp then take a chance. I am not sure about Canada, but at Tijuana and Nogales border, people have managed to come with other category visa (which is still valid). There are people who have gotten stamping without US degree and there are people who were rejected ins spite of having a US degree.

There is some element of risk. Question is do you need to take it? Alternative is to see if you can get it done when you are in India. They do give earlier appointments based on urgency (a letter from company which states the person needs to be here for critical duties within a month,,, etc.)

thanks
Ela
pnadella said:

Thanks,
npk

Transfering H4 to H1

Hello people,
I'm currently on H4, and planning to tranfer my visa to H1B. I'm going to apply now so that my petition comes by october.
But unfortunately I have to go to India in dec 06, so from your experiences can you suggest which one is a riskier proposition,
1) Go to india and get H1B stamped or
2) Send the H1B application by june end hoping that the quota is not full so that my petition start date can be end of dec 06 (the petition start date can be maximum of 6 months later than the application date) and i can come back on H4 and then start working ?

Also if I go for the H1B interview in India and visa gets rejected, can I come back on my existing H4 ?

Thanks
Mugs

good thought........this strategy is not going to work. your COS petition would be void once you leave the country.

now one alternate would be to apply now, start working in october. leave the job in december'06. and then you are back on H4. re-file the h1b petition again once you re-enter the US at the end of december'06. This requires willing employer who is going to pay for the petition fees.

just my opinions and not legal advice. please consult attorney suitably.
mugs19 said:
Hello people,
I'm currently on H4, and planning to tranfer my visa to H1B. I'm going to apply now so that my petition comes by october.
But unfortunately I have to go to India in dec 06, so from your experiences can you suggest which one is a riskier proposition,
1) Go to india and get H1B stamped or
2) Send the H1B application by june end hoping that the quota is not full so that my petition start date can be end of dec 06 (the petition start date can be maximum of 6 months later than the application date) and i can come back on H4 and then start working ?

Also if I go for the H1B interview in India and visa gets rejected, can I come back on my existing H4 ?

Thanks
Mugs

What is the status now

Sunilraman76,

Could you or any one please update .. what happened to your/his case

sunilraman76 said:
Hello All,

I went for my 7th year stamping in Ottawa. I work for a telecommunication company and have a canadian PR. my appointment was at 10.30 am. I had all the documents with me , I129, Labor certification, LCA, Indian Degree with evaluation. my name was called and I approached the VO. I was asked to produce my degree certificate along with all past experience letters. I had prepared all docs well. I gave the VO all documents. He then replied that he cannot evaluate my education credentials as I dont have a US degree. So they said that they will verify my degree from university in India and when they get the feedback they will call me for an interview again. I was like, what?

I told him that I have already obtained 2 H1 stamps based on this degree. So in response he said that's another reason that they have to look into my case more. I have an engineering degree from Mumbai university. What else they want to verify.

Finally I was told not to argue and come back after 6 weeks to check on the status my application.

Please tell me what can I do.

Hi Ela6,

I have my 7th Year extesnion approved by USCIS. My current H-1 visa stamping expires on May26th and I have an appointment in Nogales on May 8th.

Could you please let me know if,in worst case, they do not grant me H-1 re-validation in Nogales on May 8th, I can still re-enter US based on my current H-1 visa validity till May 26th?

If they do not allow me to re-enter US, then I may as well get it done from VFS, Mumbai. But if they do let me come back I would rather drive down to Nogales and avoid going to India.

Appreciate your help!
Thanks,

ela6 said:
Visa stamping is not a perfect science. No one can assure you one way or the other. If you really need the stamp then take a chance. I am not sure about Canada, but at Tijuana and Nogales border, people have managed to come with other category visa (which is still valid). There are people who have gotten stamping without US degree and there are people who were rejected ins spite of having a US degree.

There is some element of risk. Question is do you need to take it? Alternative is to see if you can get it done when you are in India. They do give earlier appointments based on urgency (a letter from company which states the person needs to be here for critical duties within a month,,, etc.)

thanks
Ela

Appointment

This is for people who went to a US Embassy or a Consulate recently in Canada. I would like to know how did you make an appointment. I was trying to make an appointment through nvars.com, but everything seems to be booked for all locations. Montreal doesn't even allow taking appointments. Am I missing something here or do I just wait and keep on looking for an available appointment?

Thanks,

Stoned!

StonedAnt said:
This is for people who went to a US Embassy or a Consulate recently in Canada. I would like to know how did you make an appointment. I was trying to make an appointment through nvars.com, but everything seems to be booked for all locations. Montreal doesn't even allow taking appointments. Am I missing something here or do I just wait and keep on looking for an available appointment?

Thanks,

Stoned!
keep checking 2-3 times a day. u will find availability, book it rigght away.

srsin said:
keep checking 2-3 times a day. u will find availability, book it rigght away.

Thanks Srsin,
I did notice some availability for Vancouver in June. Would you (or anyone else) know that if I book for that date and later something else is available either in Toronto or Montreal (which is my preferred location), will I be able to change it or have two appointments. I don't mind paying extra if I can find an appointment in Toronto/Montreal area, but right now I am thinking that I should not lose the Vancouver opportunity. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

Stoned!

Documents for Canadian Visa

Hi Guys,

Wife and I are going to Vancouver, Canada next month for her stamping (H4 to H1). We need to get Canadian visas. Could someone please post list of documents to get Canadian Visa. Please redirect me, if this is a wrong thread for this question.

Also, do we need to file separate application forms for canadian visa? Or is one form enough?

Thanks in advance

google cic.gc.ca for the information.
LaborIL said:
Hi Guys,

Wife and I are going to Vancouver, Canada next month for her stamping (H4 to H1). We need to get Canadian visas. Could someone please post list of documents to get Canadian Visa. Please redirect me, if this is a wrong thread for this question.

Also, do we need to file separate application forms for canadian visa? Or is one form enough?

Thanks in advance

Visa Stamping in Vancouver.

Friends,

Can someone share their experiences on stamping of H1B in Vancouver? Here is my scenario:

1. I am in the 7th year of H1b. Got an extension for 8th year.
2. I have Canadian Immigration stamped on my Passport. I need to enter Canada for my PR.
3. Visa on my passport expired in Sept. 05.
4. Have a labor cert pending.

If I enter Canada for my PR and go to the US Consulate for stamping, will that be a problem ? Responses will be really appreciated.

Thanks,
SS

StonedAnt said:
Thanks Srsin,
I did notice some availability for Vancouver in June. Would you (or anyone else) know that if I book for that date and later something else is available either in Toronto or Montreal (which is my preferred location), will I be able to change it or have two appointments. I don't mind paying extra if I can find an appointment in Toronto/Montreal area, but right now I am thinking that I should not lose the Vancouver opportunity. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

Stoned!

the site does not allow to reschedule for canada untill first cancel the current one. no other suggestion. montreal does not allow TCN, you can not book there from US.

European US Consulates

Has anyone had any experiences with US consulates in Europe? I am planning to goto Europe and would like to get my visa stamped during that time, was wondering whether anyone had any issues with the Consulates in Germany or France, any inputs will be helpful.

Thanks.

Can i come back to USA on my current valid h1b visa, if renewal process takes time

Hello there,

I have booked the appointment in ottawa (canada) june 2006 for me and my wife for H1b and H4 visa renewals. Our current visa's on the passport are valid until july 2006. We have a son(US citizen) who is 2 yrs and doing his preschool.

I have a Bachelors in physics degree and partime MBA from chennai,India and have been working here since 2003.

I would request your advice on the following 3 questions:

1. whether i should go to Ottawa for renewal, should i expect any delay? if in case for some reason they want to do some more checks, can we come back to USA since our current visa's are valid until july (due to work and my son's preschool) and go to canada when the security checks are done to do the stamping?..Is it possible?

2. If the above is not an option, can we stay back in USA, even though the visa's on the passports are expired but we have H1b petition valid for another 3yrs.

3. Our driving licences are valid only as of the visa expiry dates on the passport, will the DMV renew our licences based on the renewed h1b petition?

We would very much appreciate your replies, since it will help us deciding on how to deal with the mortgage commitments and other issues.

Thanks/ Mr.and Mrs. Mohamed Azeez

MohamedAzeez said:
Hello there,

I have booked the appointment in ottawa (canada) june 2006 for me and my wife for H1b and H4 visa renewals. Our current visa's on the passport are valid until july 2006. We have a son(US citizen) who is 2 yrs and doing his preschool.

I have a Bachelors in physics degree and partime MBA from chennai,India and have been working here since 2003.

I would request your advice on the following 3 questions:

1. whether i should go to Ottawa for renewal, should i expect any delay? if in case for some reason they want to do some more checks, can we come back to USA since our current visa's are valid until july (due to work and my son's preschool) and go to canada when the security checks are done to do the stamping?..Is it possible?

2. If the above is not an option, can we stay back in USA, even though the visa's on the passports are expired but we have H1b petition valid for another 3yrs.

3. Our driving licences are valid only as of the visa expiry dates on the passport, will the DMV renew our licences based on the renewed h1b petition?

We would very much appreciate your replies, since it will help us deciding on how to deal with the mortgage commitments and other issues.

Thanks/ Mr.and Mrs. Mohamed Azeez

1. No, legally you cannot enter USA if your stamping in rejected or there is some problem. They will cancel all your old visas, even those that are not expired.

2. Yes you can stay in US if stamping on passport has expired. Stamping on PP has nothing to do with your status, it's the I-94 that comes with H1 petition that decides how long you can stay in country.

3. You can show H1 petition to DMV guys and they sh ould extend it till the end of I-94 date on your petition.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. Atleast in Mexico and Canada there were several instances where they had NOT cancelled the old visa (while people were referred to security check). People had used the un-cancelled visas to enter back. Remember visa is NOT rejected when they refer you to security check. They are only delayed.

When they are ready to stamp a new visa, at that time, they will cancel the old visa.
Ela
GC_Lover said:
1. No, legally you cannot enter USA if your stamping in rejected or there is some problem. They will cancel all your old visas, even those that are not expired.

2. Yes you can stay in US if stamping on passport has expired. Stamping on PP has nothing to do with your status, it's the I-94 that comes with H1 petition that decides how long you can stay in country.

3. You can show H1 petition to DMV guys and they sh ould extend it till the end of I-94 date on your petition.