H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

stamping my take on it

Hello san7887,

I think it is just a matter of luck as to who goes through the horror story. I went for stamping in ottawa last week and did not have a problem. Although I was asked lot of questions. The most important thing the VO stressed was why I came to canada. I had a valid reason as my company sent me for some product development conference in canada where part of the development is being done. So he took the managers contact in canada and went inside .After 10 minutes came back and said we have verified your reasons for coming for stamping here from your the contact you gave us. He asked me to pay the fees. Of course I was also asked pretty much every document like 797,129,pay stubs (last 6 months),previous experience letters, LCA,etc.

But I know lot of people who were with me got 221(g) rejection and asked to apply in home country because either they had non-US degrees OR could not provide with documentation that the VO asked for. Apparently I had a MS from reputed US university , was employed full time with big Tech company and had valid reason to come for stamping there and was well prepared with all documentation.

Behind the scenes of another success story (H1 & H4 stamping in Toronto)

Firstly, thanks to this forum for making me confident and organized :)

I started browsing through this forum in January.

Step 1: Booking appointment

Booked an appointment online at http://amcits.com/ for April 3rd, a monday. There is no need to fill any information other than the passport no. at this point. You just need to pay $10 booking fee to reserve the appointment. The wait period in Toronto now is 10 weeks. I was shocked to find no open appointment when I looked on Sunday. But new slots open up as monday morning pushes the 10 weeks behind. They get sold like hot bajjis. The appointment can be cancelled at any time with just the loss of your $10. I printed out all the forms. But there is no need to because you get all of them mailed to you in a week or so.

Step 2: Filling forms, compiling documents, booking ticket

I managed to make my husband fill the DS 156 online 2 weeks before the appointment and printed them out (one each). Then the next weekend was for the DS 157 (for male applicants only). We already had our photos. There is sufficient time to take them in the immigration office which is empty all the time. (Other places to take are Walmart, Walgreens, AAA, etc.)

I organized our documents into two folders:

Handy folder with necessary documents:

Appointment letter
Passports (with landing papers if PR Canada)
DS-156 (printed with barcode and photo pasted and signed)
DS -157 (hand filled with attachment)
NO need of DS 158 for H1
I-797s ( I stapled the I-94 from this to our passports)
Receipts for visa fees.

Supplementary Goliath folder:

F1s (if any)
Employment letter, Employment verification letter, Paystubs, Bank statements.
LCA, H1 petitions (I-129s)
Education documents (transcripts, diplomas)
Marriage certificate, invitations, photos
Company badge, business card ( photos in office if any).

Studied the Toronto transit map, booked amtrak, packed and cleaned up the fridge, just in case :)

Our friend in Toronto paid our visa fees ($100+$100) in a Scotiabank (He had to print the receipts from Amcits.com and fill in our names for deposited by) which made it easier.

Step 3: At Embassy

A relative dropped us at the embassy. We did have some adventure getting lost and reaching 15 minutes late. My stomach too had its share of fun that morning. But thanks to our friends for letting me interfere with their peaceful morning routines and for mixing up the curd and fenugreek seed naatu medicine which really worked.

As we ran to the building ( the street was closed to traffic) against the chilly wind, a security guard saw our appointment letter and ushered us into the building without a comment on our tardiness. Then you pass your jacket and folder through ionizing radiation and you yourself stand on the yellow line and do some dance moves. You will be then free to go through a passage through the door and also free to feel lost. After looking at two clueless people standing at the tail of the fingerprint queue for sometime, a kind applicant said we should first go in through the next door to submit our documents. Then we entered the happening hall. On your right are the windows through which the Vishnus and Shivas can be seen. On Your left are rooms to rest and the studio. Infront of you are the actors of a reality show called 'Are you doomed or damned?'.

You are then in the queue for the Documents window (# 1) where you hand over everything from the handy dandy folder. She asked us questions to verify the DS-forms and jotted down somethings (L for landed immigrants and other codewords we couldn't decipher). Then go out to stand in the fingerprinting line. This is the easiest one. You will be called to put your imprints on a machine and feel very special (after all, how many people in the world have the opportunity to even have their photos taken?).

The longest wait is for the special much anticipated interview session. You might get a chance to sit and watch cartoon and pretend you are having fun. (You can also memorize your job description and related lingo this time.) Our appointment at 9:30 ended grandly at around 1pm. Thanks to the brand name of the company my husband is working with, there were only 3 questions: So, you are working in *****? Where did you go to school? Is she your wife? We will issue you a visa tommorrow. Bring this ticket. He gave us 2 tickets which said that this is no guarantee that you will be issued a visa and anybody can bring this ticket to collect your passports. We did not have to pay a reciprocal fee (I think due to our Canada PR) which worried us into wondering if we actually heard " we will issue you a visa". The next day we reached there at about 3:30 and received our passports with visas and I-797 at the window facing the street.

My brother-in-law drove us from Toronto through the border that night. The lady at the border kept asking for I-94 which was already in the passport. I finally understood she was asking for the half which says detach this half and keep for your personal records. Then she said arrogantly "this is supposed to be stapled to the passport". Never argue with people who rightfully think they can run your lives. I stapled it after I returned.

I know this has been a long read for those who read it. I thought it might be of help for lazy people like me to find most of the DIY instructions in one post. Of course it is easy to find anything you want by just searching the forum or the thread. This forum is pretty exhaustive and helped me completely. Thanks again!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Vancouver

I had similar experience at Vancouver last week. VO asked no documentation, no certificate...nothing. He had my application (D-156/157), passport and I-797 when my # called. I went there, asked me whether I work in the same position as mentioned on the H1B. I said yes, and thats it. He asked me to go to the other counter to pay $50. I picked up the passport next day.....it was really cool.

san7887 said:
guys
i would like to share my experience at canada

i had got all the paper work and had heard all the horror stories...

but nothing unusual happened.
well instead was talking about football with the guy who was taking my interview

he just saw my degree certificate and my employee letter

tha was it , he told all the best ..:)

My question is. You have applied 2wice in Canada. How are you able to come back to US>. DO you have a vilid H1B that you have used 2wice already. IF you did not have a H1visa stamp in your paspport,then how you were able to come back into US>

DUI and visa stampin

Hello,

I am in my 8th year of H1B. have not had a stamp on my passport for the last 3years. wife is here on H4. sone who is a citizen. I had a DWI in 2000. I would like to goto Canada or Mexico to apply for visa.

Are there any one with this sort of experience. IF so, can you please share your experience.

Thanks!

I 797 submitted to the US consulate

Has anybody heard of a situation where the I-797 was mailed directly by INS to the consulate, where you will be applying for stamping.

apparently there is an option to do that and my lawyer opted for that.

any experiences please share....

chk the I129 petition.
ferguson said:
Has anybody heard of a situation where the I-797 was mailed directly by INS to the consulate, where you will be applying for stamping.

apparently there is an option to do that and my lawyer opted for that.

any experiences please share....

Stamping Experience Question

Guys,
I attended interview for my visa in Ottawa and it has been rejected under section 221(g) of INA. I was given a sheet of 221(g) with the following statements checked:

" In order to adjudicate your visa , we need the following information:

1) W2 Forms for all people employed by petitioner.
2) Provide a detailed and specific account of how H/L worker will be employed during the next 12 months.
3) Original 1040/W2 forms and Pay stubs for every year that the beneficiary has worked in US.

Generalized or non responsive statements may only delay the application longer.You have 45 days to re-apply with the documents requested after which you will need to apply in home country or country of citizenship if you are a permanent resident here".

I am not able to understand what the last line means. Also in 3rd statement , does it ask to provide pay stubs of every month for every year of all the past years I have worked or just few pay stubs of all previous years. I am a little frustrated and confused with this sheet. Because of last line I am not even sure if I will get visa after I reapply because I dont know what it means.

What are my chances of getting rejected again? Should I goto India to get next stamping or should I try again here?

For (3), you need W2 and 1040A for all years in the U.S. if you do your taxes every year. Pay stubs for last 6 month should be enough. I think for (2) you need a company letter with job description. For (3) How big is your company? How many employees does your company have? Is it a start-up or consulting company?

nkapoorHaryana said:
Guys,
I attended interview for my visa in Ottawa and it has been rejected under section 221(g) of INA. I was given a sheet of 221(g) with the following statements checked:

2) Provide a detailed and specific account of how H/L worker will be employed during the next 12 months.
3) Original 1040/W2 forms and Pay stubs for every year that the beneficiary has worked in US.

Generalized or non responsive statements may only delay the application longer.You have 45 days to re-apply with the documents requested after which you will need to apply in home country or country of citizenship if you are a permanent resident here".

I am not able to understand what the last line means. Also in 3rd statement , does it ask to provide pay stubs of every month for every year of all the past years I have worked or just few pay stubs of all previous years. I am a little frustrated and confused with this sheet. Because of last line I am not even sure if I will get visa after I reapply because I dont know what it means.

What are my chances of getting rejected again? Should I goto India to get next stamping or should I try again here?

H1b and wifes h4

Hello,.

I am in really deep here. I am in my 8th year of H1b visa. My visa notice came in today.

My lawyer says this. I-129 Approval notice from Feb 2006-2007. However my approval was

sent to consulate in Islamabad pakisan. Apparentlly my visa was not extended here in US.

I cam to know about it because it says on my I129 application. It basically says that I am

not eligible to extend my stay in the US therefore have to travel outside the country. My

wife petition,, well all she received was a letter from INS stating that her H4 application

can not be renewed because of my petition. I also states on that the H1B petitionore has a

criminal recore which is inadmissible in US. the only criminal record I have is some

traffic violations and a DWI from 2000.

Since my DWI I have been able to extend my H1 3 times in ths country. I have in fact been

able to travel out 2 times. I have never tried to get the visa extension in Pakistan

before. So I am not sure when DWI became a inadmissble offense. I got a h1 extension

approved last year. They never said anything abou that. I hav not been involved in

anything else either.

none of the conversation my lawyer has had with them, it does not specify what the criminal record they are talking about. I have even talke to INS about it and they dont know either.

Please guys any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

N

to me req 1 is quite onerous having to submit W2 of all employees.
req 3 specifically seeks W2, 1040 and paystubs for all years. Now if you have every paystub for every pay period, that is good. If not, sometimes paystubs reflect the year-to-date pay and hence the last pay-stub of a year should suffice to indicaate how much you were paid for the year.

just my opinion and not legal advice. all the best.
nkapoorHaryana said:
Guys,

nkapoorHaryana,
Sorry to hear that,

I was trying to understans why VO has asked you all those documents. Didn't carried your W2 and recent paystubs along with you? and also the employer letter.

Please post us the questions VO asked so that we can be well prepared.

I agree with the other 2 replies. Just take W2s and whichever pay stubs that you can get hold off. I think they are trying to figure out if you were employed continuously. So, if you have any other docs that would indirectly show that you were continuously might also help. for example, if you have direct deposit, bank statement which shows the salary being deposited into your account might also help. So, one or two pay stubs (especially december ones) will be helpful.

ela
tusharvk said:
to me req 1 is quite onerous having to submit W2 of all employees.
req 3 specifically seeks W2, 1040 and paystubs for all years. Now if you have every paystub for every pay period, that is good. If not, sometimes paystubs reflect the year-to-date pay and hence the last pay-stub of a year should suffice to indicaate how much you were paid for the year.

just my opinion and not legal advice. all the best.

H1-B visa stamping in Halifax, Canada

Hello,
Has anyone been to Halifax, Canada for visa stamping? Can you share your experience?
Thanks..

Successful 7th year visa stamping in Vancouver

My situation was little delicate, as the visa in the PP had expired in Sept 2002, and I had changed company twice. On top of that, I was going for 7th year extension. Fortunately my status has always been clean and I had most documents.

Foll. was what I carried.

1) 7th year approval notice, I129, LCA, employer letter
2) Paystubs from last 3 years.
3) W2 and Tax returns for last 6 years (I know I was going overboard:)
4) All original degree marksheets and certificates
5) Degree eval
6) Current Client letter, photos
7) DOL Printout of labor pending
8) All previous I-797, LCA and I-129

Entry in Canada : Very easy, had a tourist visa, border guard looked at the appointment letter.

Day of appointment: Reached 15 min early. Found that no bags allowed whatsoever, so kept them at a small store across the street ($2). After getting in, was asked to pay $100 along with foll. documents - I 797, Employer Letter, PP.

Then waited for almost an hour on the 2nd floor, and about 15 min on the 20th. Was called for finger printing. After 10 min, was called for the interview. VO was very calm and was Indian.
V.O : What kind of business is your company in?
Me : Its a IT consulting company, which gives consulting services to its clients all over the US.
VO : What kind of work/project do you do?
Me: I work on Java based projects
VO : Show me your paystubs?
ME : (I gave him my stack of chronologically arranged paystubs)
VO : Go to cashier window, pay the fee.
Me : Thanks.

Thats it. Came back the next day at 3 pm. and got PP with visa stamped. So folks, do be confident, and carry all docs. One thing I did was to arrange the docs in clear plastic folders, got them at Staples. These were then put in a ring binder and organized with tabs showing the separation. It might sound overkill, but looks professional and I recommend it.

All the best to everybody.

Yes..My petion says to send it to Ottawa consulate. Is that going to be a problem..never heard of this. I did mention to my lawyer, I may go to Ottawa, I never though he would request my I797 to be sent to ottawa.

Please help, I have an appointment next week....this is 3 year extension case.

tusharvk said:
chk the I129 petition.

I had carried my W2s and pay stubs. But they wanted W2s of all employees of my company which are about 300 people consulting. I had also carried my employment letter. But as I mentioned in my previous posting they are looking for W2s of all employees of the company and rest I mentioned earlier. I am trying to get all docs from my company. Its so difficult to have the company send all W2s of all employees.

Meanwhile I am stuck here in canada and hope to re-apply soon.

Hi,

Here is my situation.
My current H-1 and H-1 stamp on passport are till July, 2006. My 140 has been approved and I am trying for a 3 year H-1 extension. I will have to go to India very soon. So considering stamping in canada. Can you please answer my questions.
1) My h-1 petetion with extension will start in July 06. Am i eligible to go for stamping to canada in May 06?
2) When I come back to the US..can I come back to the US in may 06? My question really is, because the petetion is valid from July, will there be any problem coming back.

May be I am missing something. Guru's please help.

check amcits.com; however, you can not go for stamping so early; hence, the question of re-entry does not arise.

if you start looking now, you may find dates in India; think you would qualify under emergency appts.
ajaysri said:
Hi,

Here is my situation.
My current H-1 and H-1 stamp on passport are till July, 2006. My 140 has been approved and I am trying for a 3 year H-1 extension. I will have to go to India very soon. So considering stamping in canada. Can you please answer my questions.
1) My h-1 petetion with extension will start in July 06. Am i eligible to go for stamping to canada in May 06?
2) When I come back to the US..can I come back to the US in may 06? My question really is, because the petetion is valid from July, will there be any problem coming back.

May be I am missing something. Guru's please help.

Anyone had luck with booking appointments thru nvars lately? I've checked with the site and they don't have ANY apointments for any embassy available right now. I've been checking several times during last week and new ones never appearred.

Is it just me or their design and organisation of appointment booking gets worse with each year. Had no problem booking in 03, with big efforts found a desired appointment last year and now - no appointments at all!!!!!!

Anyway - can anyone get the "insider info" on what days and times the new appointments are added to their system? Any luck of getting appointment when calling to them rather then over the internet?
Thnx!