H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Hi there,
H1 is an dual-intent visa and so it is NOT critical to prove that you will be going back to your home country (ties to home). Eventhough they have listed that, you don't have to worry about that. Most of the times problems comes with genuiness of certificates, employement, etc. "home ties" will not be a problem. It is an issue only with student visas.

sinoux said:
Hi All, i have a question regarding "Proof of ties to my home country " , it was listed as requirment in the letter of appointment sent to me from tonoto consulate. Is that required for H1-B stmaping??? please help me in what documents i need to take so that i can get it from india.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,
H1 is an dual-intent visa and so it is NOT critical to prove that you will be going back to your home country (ties to home). Eventhough they have listed that, you don't have to worry about that. Most of the times problems comes with genuiness of certificates, employement, etc. "home ties" will not be a problem. It is an issue only with student visas.

If you do want to show the ties, you can show any property that you/your parents own. Anything that is "precious" that you guys own in your home country (have docs to show that).

sinoux said:
Hi All, i have a question regarding "Proof of ties to my home country " , it was listed as requirment in the letter of appointment sent to me from tonoto consulate. Is that required for H1-B stmaping??? please help me in what documents i need to take so that i can get it from india.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to make a suggestion. Please dont complicate things if they are not. H1 is a dual-intent visa. So there is no need to prove any ties to home country. People like you who come up with such ideas of proving ties to home country and taking documentation for that complicate the process.

This forum is helpful so please keep it that way. I am stuck here because of unnecessary complications that have been created.

I agree 100% with Eshwars
eshwars said:
I would like to make a suggestion. Please dont complicate things if they are not. H1 is a dual-intent visa. So there is no need to prove any ties to home country. People like you who come up with such ideas of proving ties to home country and taking documentation for that complicate the process.

This forum is helpful so please keep it that way. I am stuck here because of unnecessary complications that have been created.

atleast one person was asked to show ties to their country for their h4 stamping; this is kind of curious. I think this stemmed from the confusion on part of the applicant. VO's in canada are pretty well informed; so they should not ask such questions.
If confused, please check out USCIS website and print the relevent pages from this site regarding the dual-intent nature of H1b visa and bring with you to your interview. Appt letters that come from US consulates in canada are common for all visa categories; hence, they ask for all sorts of such documentation. It is best to segregate what is reqd for your visa category.
BTW, h1 is not an immigrant visa (GC is an immigrant visa); it is very much NIV.
ela6 said:
Hi there,
H1 is an immigrant visa and so it is NOT critical to prove that you will be going back to your home country (ties to home). Eventhough they have listed that, you don't have to worry about that. Most of the times problems comes with genuiness of certificates, employement, etc. "home ties" will not be a problem. It is an issue only with student visas.

If you do want to show the ties, you can show any property that you/your parents own. Anything that is "precious" that you guys own in your home country (have docs to show that).

H1 Visa Stamped in Toronto!!!

Forum,

I want to share this news with you all. I got my H1 stamped without any hassle in Toronto today. I am getting my passport tomorrow. Eshwars is right.. there are lot of people who unnecessarily create lots of confusion. Bottom line is -- if you have all the documents then there should not be any problem.
Ofcourse if it has to be rejected, it will happen anywhere.. if you are really unlucky. That's what I understood now after watching so many people getting interviewed here at the consulate.
Regarding me, I went for my 7th year of H1 extn. All my education is from India. I have a candian PR and that's the reason I decided to go there.

Long story short-- go there with confidence with all the paper and you will get it. But, if you think there is any thing lacking then go to your home country.

You can't predict anyting about the interview or the whole process. Like in my case, I thought, entering canada should be easy for me because I have the PR card but one Indian lady at the canadian custom gave me hard time iwith some here stupid question(that's why I prefer to be interviewed by an Canadian/American then a desi).

Then when I was submitting all the papers at the first window to the clerk in the US consulate so that they let me attend the visa interview. I never expected that the lady will give me tough time about the 156-157 forms, my labor application etc. but that happened.

I was really scared about the interview which was the most important part, but there the VO asked me.

Q1. So, this is your family..
Q2. Ok, you are working for XXXXXXX.
Q3. For how long?
Q4. Did you study in US.
-- that's it.
So, if you decided to go to canada for stamping then go with all the docs which will give you confidence. Don't go by all the scary postings in this forum because that gives sleepness nights. That could happen to you but that's like "accidents happens in life" and you can't do anything to avoid that.

Good luck to all..

--Sanjeev

Hi All

I am planning for Visa stamping at calgary in Canada. This is my 7th year extn (previous stampings Chennai, St Louis, Toronto) Also I am a landed immigrant. My wife and New born baby are not travelling with me.

I am non science graduate (india) working in software field. Will there be any problem?

Thanks
ck

Hi there,
Looks like you have gone thro this routine before (applying for stamping in Canada). Why do you suspect that it is going to be a different experience this time. Just because it is 7th year extension, should not make any difference. At the most, they might ask for proof that your labor was filed timely. That is the only difference that you might find.

I don't see a reason why you should be worried. So, relax, you are going to be fine...
ckgo said:
Hi All

I am planning for Visa stamping at calgary in Canada. This is my 7th year extn (previous stampings Chennai, St Louis, Toronto) Also I am a landed immigrant. My wife and New born baby are not travelling with me.

I am non science graduate (india) working in software field. Will there be any problem?

Thanks
ck

H1 expiring on Sept 30, going for visa April 20th

I am going for my stamping om april 20th at toronto. This is my 7 th year. Has somebody stamped for such a short duration?

you are canadian pr.......so canada is your home country......where else would you go for visa stamping
ckgo said:
Hi ela,

I was confused looking at all those posts regarding the US Degree! :D....Thank U

Landing + H1 stamping at Toronto

Hi Eshwars,
I will be going for my landing at the end of March. I am on my 8th year H1 extension and have taken the apptment on the 30th of March. Is it not a good Idea to club the Land and Stamping? If its not then should I use AVR and make sure I return within 30 days?

Let me know if anyone has suggestions/advise on this

eshwars said:
I was writing to get some help on this 221(g) I got in Toronto consulate. This was 2 days ago.I have a canada PR. I was told that I cannot be in early PR status and apply for H-1 stamp. I was told as I have recently completed landing I need to wait for some paperwork that I will receive from canadian department (usually along with my PR card). I have to bring those papers completely filled and only then they can further process my H1 case. And bringing that won't still necessarily make me eligible for stamping?

Am I missing something here? what kind of paperwork are they asking for? I dont understand. The VO mentioned that the paperwork involved some affidavit to maintain residency in canada.

At the time of landing the canadian official did look up to see that I had an appointment with consulate for stamping. He did not say anything of additional paperwork , only that I will get my PR card in mail at the address I have mentioned and I should wait till I get my PR card in had before leaving.

I asked the VO to see my landing papers but he did not discuss any further and told me I need to come back with what they want.

Anyone experienced something similar. This is stupid. Is this only for people who have PR status or everyone?

Thanks in advance for any replies on this.

Hello All,

I went for my 7th year stamping in Ottawa. I work for a telecommunication company and have a canadian PR. my appointment was at 10.30 am. I had all the documents with me , I129, Labor certification, LCA, Indian Degree with evaluation. my name was called and I approached the VO. I was asked to produce my degree certificate along with all past experience letters. I had prepared all docs well. I gave the VO all documents. He then replied that he cannot evaluate my education credentials as I dont have a US degree. So they said that they will verify my degree from university in India and when they get the feedback they will call me for an interview again. I was like, what?

I told him that I have already obtained 2 H1 stamps based on this degree. So in response he said that's another reason that they have to look into my case more. I have an engineering degree from Mumbai university. What else they want to verify.

Finally I was told not to argue and come back after 6 weeks to check on the status my application.

Please tell me what can I do.

sorry to hear about your experience. were all your H1B's with the same company or was this H1 with another commpany?

i am not sure what to tell you. unfortunately, you can't argue with the VO's. since you have a canadian PR, i would talk to your company and ask them to allow you to work out of ottawa for the next 6 weeks or so.

i was at the ottawa consulate yesterday too and surprisingly, i wasn't even asked a question. as soon as i went to the counter, i was asked to put my index finger for fingerprinting and that was it. i was quite surprised. no questions asked..nothing. just told to come back the next day.

but the only difference is that i have my degrees from the US.

sunilraman76 said:
Hello All,

I went for my 7th year stamping in Ottawa. I work for a telecommunication company and have a canadian PR. my appointment was at 10.30 am. I had all the documents with me , I129, Labor certification, LCA, Indian Degree with evaluation. my name was called and I approached the VO. I was asked to produce my degree certificate along with all past experience letters. I had prepared all docs well. I gave the VO all documents. He then replied that he cannot evaluate my education credentials as I dont have a US degree. So they said that they will verify my degree from university in India and when they get the feedback they will call me for an interview again. I was like, what?

I told him that I have already obtained 2 H1 stamps based on this degree. So in response he said that's another reason that they have to look into my case more. I have an engineering degree from Mumbai university. What else they want to verify.

Finally I was told not to argue and come back after 6 weeks to check on the status my application.

Sorry to hear about your case

There seems to be an inconsistent pattern and I wonder if it’s best to get stamped in India. There are some folks who have an Indian degree and were stamped without problem, while others who had a US degree had problems. Perhaps the US consulates in Canada are getting allergic to the large number of H1B workers going for stamping there rather than India. It’s possible that they view our cases with suspicion because we are bending backwards to get it stamped in Canada than in our home country. I have a US degree and have previous stampings in Toronto and Chennai but I am not sure whether that helps me in any way….seems everything is driven by luck. I made an appointment in Toronto and Chennai a few days apart in case I get a 221g.

sunilraman76 said:
Hello All,

Very unfortunate and troubling:
My friend, it looks like you were in the wrong place at the wrong time and over and above that, you were caught hold of by a wrong person who was probably NOT in a good mood. I would call it a sheer bad luck. May be on another day at another time it would have been a cakewalk for you. I feel very sorry for you and hope that you get the damn visa asap. Best of luck!

Quite a number of people at the wrong place...

..if we go by the posts there is an upward trend in folks having problems in Canada. Once upon a time we heard much more good news out of Canada...Wonder what's going on.

Hi all

I am on H1B and it is valid till 2007
I have masters degree from the US
I have work experience for over 3 years in US
I am thinking of getting my passport stamped in Toronto.

Any advices?

I also heard that if you get rejected in Canada, you are allowed for one single re-entry to the USA. Is that true? Since they do not take your I-94 on the boarder between USA and Canda.! Or will I be stuck in Canada, and will be required to go back home to be able to re-enter the US?

Please advise.

Regards,

Canada Stamping Question

Hello All,

Thanks to everyone who have shared experience on getting the Stamping done at canada. I have a question on my Visa stamping and would appreciate any response /suggestions. The following are my details

6th Year extension -- May 27th 2005 to May 27th 2006
( Approved and having I-797 Original copy)

7th year extension -- May 27th 2006 till May 27th 2007
( Applied and waiting for approval)

Labor approved & I-140 Pending

Toronto Visa appointment - May 1st 2006

I want to know if i would get my stamping for both 6th year and 7th year . As i am travelling to India on June 6th 2006 i would like to get my Visa stamped until May 27th 2007.

I would appreciate any insights/thoughts and experience sharing from members who have been in this situaiton before..Thks

You need your approved I797 - merely applying for an LC extension is not enough to get a visa at the consulate. So if you get your I797 approved and in hand before you go to the consulate, yes you can get your visa extended. I think some folks in this forum did that.