H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

If U are with a different employer. The only red flag that it might raise is that Why did you change employer. Did you get laid off? Did you fall out of status? As long as you can prove that there was no gap between the 2 companies, you might be ok. If you can wait a while, it will be even better.

I would not conclude that things have changed. You need to acknowlege that every day about 100 people get visas (all consulates put together). Once in a while, someone gets 221g. So, it is shear bad luck and I totally sympathize with them. There is nothing more frustrating than getting stuck somewhere.

maniax said:
I have a MS from US. I have booked an appointment in Calgary for stamping. I had initially thought it would be pretty easy getting a stamping from Canada but after going through the discussions realize that things have changed.

I have been with my current employer for only 1 month. Would this be an issue?

Hi all
Please reply
Do you think keeping handy foriegn credentials evaluated from USA from 2 different reputed firm recognized by uscis would help in such problem at the time of interview.

Thanks
sunilraman76 said:
ela6/others

I think having degree from good university does not matter. It all depends on your luck as to who you get as VO. I have a degree from good university but I am still stuck.

If your luck is not good like me then you would think you would have been better off stamping in India. At least there are good opportunities there if you get stuck.

I am spending unnecessary amount of money here. I have tried so much to convice the consulate that I can provide them with official transcirpts, my original marksheets which I have in possesion but they just refuse to see it and said they will do their own checks.

Totally agree with you. Getting stuck in a place can get pretty frustrating. Any idea what to answer when the VO asks why I've come to Canada for the visa instead of travelling back to my home country?

TIA

ela6 said:
If U are with a different employer. The only red flag that it might raise is that Why did you change employer. Did you get laid off? Did you fall out of status? As long as you can prove that there was no gap between the 2 companies, you might be ok. If you can wait a while, it will be even better.

I would not conclude that things have changed. You need to acknowlege that every day about 100 people get visas (all consulates put together). Once in a while, someone gets 221g. So, it is shear bad luck and I totally sympathize with them. There is nothing more frustrating than getting stuck somewhere.

Appointment at Ottawa

Dear Everyone

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I have an appointment at Ottawa on March 29th 2006. I have an H1 Visa for the past three years that got stamped in Delhi. This one expires on March 30th 2006. I want to get it restamped in canada since I am not planning to goto India anytime soon and may need to travel overseas before that. I have the following questions

[1] March 29th is a Wednesday and the Ottawa Consulate/Embassy, according to their website works only on M,T,Th and Fri. I find this wierd. Was it a glitch in the software

[2] Frankly I have a vaguish reason for going to Canada for revalidation. Do you think the VO will buy into it. How strong does the motivation of getting the VISA restamped in Canada need to be.

[3] When I will go for my interview, my current H1 stamp will still be valid (although it will expire in a day). . Can this be a problem

[4] Has anybody gotten approved from toronto/ottawa in the last 1 month. I could not find many. So many people got approved in Nov, Dec 2005. I find this a bit wired. Can there be an implicit change in policies in Canada to avoid applicants from US with other home countries.

[5] After how many days do they give the passport back in Ottawa.

I have american degrees so I dont think this should be a problem for me. I am also working for well known american employers.

Please advice; Really appreciated.

ankur_60201 said:
Dear Everyone

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I have an appointment at Ottawa on March 29th 2006. I have an H1 Visa for the past three years that got stamped in Delhi. This one expires on March 30th 2006. I want to get it restamped in canada since I am not planning to goto India anytime soon and may need to travel overseas before that. I have the following questions

[1] March 29th is a Wednesday and the Ottawa Consulate/Embassy, according to their website works only on M,T,Th and Fri. I find this wierd. Was it a glitch in the software
undefined
==>The consular section is open on Wed. Even I had mine on Wed and the web site said it is closed. But they do take scheduled appointements in the consular section of embassy.

[2] Frankly I have a vaguish reason for going to Canada for revalidation. Do you think the VO will buy into it. How strong does the motivation of getting the VISA restamped in Canada need to be.
==> They generally don't ask why you came to Canada instead of going to your home country. If you have education / work experience in US that should be fine. But carry your educational evaluations (if no US education)with you.

[3] When I will go for my interview, my current H1 stamp will still be valid (although it will expire in a day). . Can this be a problem
==>Even if its valid for small period that shouldn't be problem. Mine was valid for 1 and half month.
[4] Has anybody gotten approved from toronto/ottawa in the last 1 month. I could not find many. So many people got approved in Nov, Dec 2005. I find this a bit wired. Can there be an implicit change in policies in Canada to avoid applicants from US with other home countries.
==> I did mine last June. Atleast back then, there were no such issues.

[5] After how many days do they give the passport back in Ottawa.
==> Next day if they grant you visa.

I have american degrees so I dont think this should be a problem for me. I am also working for well known american employers.

Please advice; Really appreciated.

Vancouver for visa re-val

Guys,

I'm going to Vancouver for visa re-val.

1) I'm a F1 (Mumbai) - H1 (Mumbai) - H1 (re-val) and am headed to Vancouver consulate.

2) I have a B.S from US and finished my M.S as a part time student while working on H1-B for my first company.

3) Citizen of India, no Canadian PR.

4) Have maintained legal status all throughout.

Please advise.... share any experiences of re-val's in Vancouver off lately.

Ottawa

Hi

Can somebody ping is about latest experiences in Ottawa for VISA revalidation during Jan/Feb period. Has the process gotten any harder than last year.

THANKS

Wait time for getting appointment?

What is the wait time for getting appointment for restamping H1B and H4 in toranto consulate? Any idea?

I cannot get the early appointment in Mumbai consulate. Early appointments are available in Delhi/Chennai/Kolkata. Is it possible to take their appointment without having valid immergency reason and having the Maharashtra district's passport!

Please give me reply.

Thanks in advance.

First time H1b Stamping : Toronto

Hi Guys,

I am going to Toronto for my first H1B stamping in April 2006.

My background:

a) F1 from chennai in Fall 2002
b) graduated (MS) in Winter 2005
c) Joined a reputed company in Mar 2005 on OPT.
d) H1 started from Oct 2005.

I have couple of questions regarding going to Canada for H1B statmping.

1) Is it OK to go to Canada for first H1B stamping.?
2) Will the officer ask me why I came to Canada for stamping instead of going to India
3) Did anyone of you guys go to toronto in the last 1-2 months and what is your experience.?

Please answer my questions guys.

Thanks in advance

visa stamp documents

Hello,

I will be going for my H1 stamping in Toronto this week. I have a MS degree from US and work for large multinational which has offices all over the world.

I am taking following documents for my 2nd H1 stamping.

1) I797 original
2) LCA/I129
3) pay stubs
4) W2
5) employment letter
6) MS degree and transcripts
7) Previous H1 approval

Please let me know if I need to take anything else.

Thank you.

murli_math said:
Hello,

I will be going for my H1 stamping in Toronto this week. I have a MS degree from US and work for large multinational which has offices all over the world.

I am taking following documents for my 2nd H1 stamping.

1) I797 original
2) LCA/I129
3) pay stubs
4) W2
5) employment letter
6) MS degree and transcripts
7) Previous H1 approval

Please let me know if I need to take anything else.

Thank you.
Hi,
Visit the US Consulate website at:

http://www.amcits.com/toronto.asp

to know what else is required. Good luck.

do you need canadian visa to enter canada for H1 revalidaiton

Hi
I am planning to go to canada for my visa revalidaiton. Do i need any canadian visa to enter into canada.

Thanks

Restamp before current Visa expires

Folks,

Currently I am on H1B visa and my current H1B Visa stamp (previous employer) expires in October 2006

I am planning to goto Canada next month and hoping to get my Visa restamped (based on my current employer I797). Can I do this ?

So, basically can you get a restamping before your previous Visa has expired?
Are there any restirctions (like you cannot renew more than 6 months in advance etc)?

Thanks

gbshiva said:
Hi
I am planning to go to canada for my visa revalidaiton. Do i need any canadian visa to enter into canada.

Thanks

Hi,

If you are citizen of India, then you will need a Canadia Visa. You can apply for a Canadian visa in person (which takes a few hours) or by mail.

Check for the canadian consulate in US close to where you live.
You can google for canadian consulate

Hi GC,

Is it OK to send Original I-797 to the canadian consulate for Canadian Visitor VISA?
Do they send that back to you alongwith the passport?

Thanks

pakrish said:
Hi GC,

Is it OK to send Original I-797 to the canadian consulate for Canadian Visitor VISA?
Do they send that back to you alongwith the passport?

Thanks
Yes they do. I did send mine to them and they did send it back to me along with the passport. Good Luck.

ECFMG Certified Physician with MD.

Hi All,

I entered the US on a H4B visa with Visa stamped at Chennai.
I changed from H4 to H1 in the US for my Residency and Fellowship, and did not have the H1 visa stamped . I will be completing my Fellowship on H1, I have not gone back to India since I started my Residency.
Now my future Employer has got me a 3 Year H1B approval based on my approved I-140.I want to have my visa stamped before starting my New Job in July 2006.

Would it be safe for me to go to Toronto for Visa stamping. Would they consider my ECFMG certification and my US MD as foreign Degree, even though I did my MBBS in India.

Would appericate experience by other Physician who have similar experience.

Stan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys should I consider going to Canada for re-validation or should I just stick with auto-revalidation because my company will not require me to travel to Canada for more than 30 days. My previous H1 expires on 30th March. Changed jobs this Jan.

I'm going to Vancouver for visa re-val.

1) I'm a F1 (Mumbai) - H1 (Mumbai) - H1 (re-val) and am headed to Vancouver consulate.

2) I have a B.S from US and finished my M.S as a part time student while working on H1-B for my first company.

3) Citizen of India, no Canadian PR.

4) Have maintained legal status all throughout.

Please advise.... share any experiences of re-val's in Vancouver off lately.

Visa stamping - 7th year extension H1 + h4 extension for my wife

All

Has any one stamped their visas at Calgary or Quebec. I badly want to get my visa stamped as soon as possible and am looking for appointments before the end of this month . I am going for my 7 th year extension for H1 and have been working for the same company after my MS in the united states. my wife is extending her h4 for 1 year. we have never stamped outside of India previously.

greatly appreciate any suggestions.

thanx
murali

H1B stamping in Toronto

Hi Guys,

I am going to Toronto for my first H1B stamping in April 2006.

My background:

a) F1 from chennai in Fall 2002
b) graduated (MS) in Winter 2005
c) Joined a reputed company in Mar 2005 on OPT.
d) H1 started from Oct 2005.

I have couple of questions regarding going to Canada for H1B statmping.

1) Is it OK to go to Canada for first H1B stamping.?
2) Will the officer ask me why I came to Canada for stamping instead of going to India
3) Did anyone of you guys go to toronto in the last 1-2 months and what is your experience.?

Please answer my questions guys.

Thanks
Novice