H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Hi,

I just wanted to thank every one who posted their h1 stamping experiences on this website. I got a successful h1 stamping this week at Toronto. I am from Pakistan and have Canadian PR.

Some important things are:

• Long lines at each and every point, from airports/POEs to consulate
  • If you wear glasses make sure that your photo is WITHOUT glasses otherwise you'll have to use a photo machine inside the consulate that takes 4 crappy pictures for CAN $5 (under exposed, grainy and blurry)
  • All forms (DS-156/DS-157/DS-158) must be filled in before hand. If something is not relevant to you just write N/A, dont leave it blank. They get easily annoyed if forms are not filled in properly.
  • Be confident, honest and keep an eye contact while speaking with the interviewer
  • Keep all important documents handy
  • Dont try to over smart the interviewer (if you know what I mean). They handle hundreds of applications daily so they've got no time for BS

Good luck.

Thanx for sharing

Hi Chicago Desi,

Thanks for sharing ur experiance, I have few questions. I am on the same boat and going next week for stamping from Toronto.

Which address did u mentioned in ur permanent home address column on DS157?

Can i write N/A after taking a print out? cause i have dowloaded and printed already and the application doesnt allow "/" to be typed. Will it make a difference if i write that with a pen?

Did u get the passport the same day, I am also from Pakistan and I have been told that it will take 3-6 weeks for the security clearance.

I would appreciate if you could help me out with these questions.

Thanx in advance

WaitingStamping said:
Hi Chicago Desi,

Thanks for sharing ur experiance, I have few questions. I am on the same boat and going next week for stamping from Toronto.

Which address did u mentioned in ur permanent home address column on DS157?

Can i write N/A after taking a print out? cause i have dowloaded and printed already and the application doesnt allow "/" to be typed. Will it make a difference if i write that with a pen?

Did u get the passport the same day, I am also from Pakistan and I have been told that it will take 3-6 weeks for the security clearance.

I would appreciate if you could help me out with these questions.

Thanx in advance

I mentioned my USA address. AFAIK, handwriting wont make a difference. US Consulate in Toronto returns passports next day. If your application does not require security clearance then you'll get visa stamped on your passport next day OTHERWISE no body knows for sure how long it will take. Good luck.

Anyone here who did their H1b stamping in Vancouver? I did mine early this year and got it back within the same day but now the letter says it would require 3 days for processing.

Is this still holding true? If it is 3 days, that would be really difficult for traveling...thanks...

H1B Education/work experience acquired in a country other than the U.S

Hi there,

I am a computer science student (I’m still studying in the US with unstamped F-1) I just got a H1B and started to work as a computer programmer. So far so good…. :p
Now, I want to go to Vancouver and get my passport stamp (for the first time) I based my H1B visa on education from my home country (Israel) that includes few years in college and work experience (again from my home country), both of them together are equivalence to BS in computer science in the US (approval I got from credential evaluation service), when I start making my online appointment for interview in Vancouver I got a scary message when I clicked on H1B visa. :rolleyes:

“H-1B applicants should be aware that the approval of a petition by the Immigration and Naturalization Service does not establish that the applicant is eligible for visa isuance. If your qualifications for H-1B status derive solely or predominantly from education and/or work experience acquired in a country other than the U.S. or Canada, consular officers in Canada may be unable to properly assess your qualifications, evaluate foreign documents presented, or verify the facts of the case. In such cases, the consular officer may deny your visa under Section 221 (g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act and recommend that you apply in the country of your normal residence.”

My questions are:

1.It is true? They cannot check any of my documents?
2.How big is my risk here? Or I just was overreacting. :eek:
3.Does anyone have the same situation (showing them education/work documents from your home country?)

I appreciate any input from you guys, I was planning to go in a week or so but now I have no idea what to do.

Thanks
:)

Hi there,
You look like a potential canditate for a back ground check. I think there are couple of people who are from Pakistan and they have posted their experience in the forum. Background checks are requested based on 2 criteria. First one is that if you belong to the occupations mentioned in Technology Alert List (some chance that you get checked). the second criteria is based on the country you come from (even if you have degree from here). I am not sure if Isreal is one of the countries that they monitor (most likely). I don't mean to scare you. But, there is a good possibility.

What it means is that when you apply, you will not be stamped (visa) for another 3-6 weeks. You will have to check other postings to see how people get back into the country (without visa - after applying) from Canada.
ela
NK77 said:
Hi there,

I am a computer science student (I’m still studying in the US with unstamped F-1) I just got a H1B and started to work as a computer programmer. So far so good…. :p
Now, I want to go to Vancouver and get my passport stamp (for the first time) I based my H1B visa on education from my home country (Israel) that includes few years in college and work experience (again from my home country), both of them together are equivalence to BS in computer science in the US (approval I got from credential evaluation service), when I start making my online appointment for interview in Vancouver I got a scary message when I clicked on H1B visa. :rolleyes:

“H-1B applicants should be aware that the approval of a petition by the Immigration and Naturalization Service does not establish that the applicant is eligible for visa isuance. If your qualifications for H-1B status derive solely or predominantly from education and/or work experience acquired in a country other than the U.S. or Canada, consular officers in Canada may be unable to properly assess your qualifications, evaluate foreign documents presented, or verify the facts of the case. In such cases, the consular officer may deny your visa under Section 221 (g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act and recommend that you apply in the country of your normal residence.”

My questions are:

1.It is true? They cannot check any of my documents?
2.How big is my risk here? Or I just was overreacting. :eek:
3.Does anyone have the same situation (showing them education/work documents from your home country?)

I appreciate any input from you guys, I was planning to go in a week or so but now I have no idea what to do.

Thanks

Thanks ela6,

It seemed like I’m taking big risk here… :(
If they will hold my visa or run the background check, during this time can I get back to US and go back again when they will finish that background check or it will be one way ticket? (I will lose my visa and my legal staying)

Thanks
NK77

Stamping in Canada

Hi Guys,

I got my H1 in Feb 2004, I was on F1 before. During my F1, I did my internship for a company ABC on CPT (curriculum practical training), this was in year 2002. Now I'm planning to go for H1 stamping to canada. My question is do I need to carry pay stubs which i got when I was doing my internship on F1 along with the pay stubs which I am getting on H1. Unfortunately I dont have those pay stubs with me now. I am so worried on this, pls somebody give some inputs on this.

One more thing, do I need to take pictures of my company too along with other documents?

Pls Advise.

Thanks in advance
AJ_Indy

I have not read many cases where people are stuck in Canada. I suggest that you post a separate thread asking if anyone got stuck in Canada. Also, if someone managed to come back in without a new visa. That might clear up your doubts. In this same forum, someone from Pakistan managed to get it without security check (although he is now a Canadian PR). So, maybe they won't refer you for a check.

If you are stuck in Canada, you may not necessarily lose your visa or legal "staying". The only problem will be that you will not be able to work for 3-6 weeks and needless to say you are stuck in a diff country. But, as I mentioned, I have not heard a lot of cases.

Ela
NK77 said:
Thanks ela6,

It seemed like I’m taking big risk here… :(
If they will hold my visa or run the background check, during this time can I get back to US and go back again when they will finish that background check or it will be one way ticket? (I will lose my visa and my legal staying)

Thanks
NK77

Hi there,
One of the reasons they ask for "recent" paystubs is to ensure that you are still working for the current company (did not get laid off and stuff). So, you don't need your old pay stubs (that is not going to prove anything).

You can take your tax documents from last year (again, I don't see that giving much info to them). They ask the tax docs to ensure that people were working through out the year (otherwise the total salary will be less indicating that they might have been possibly laid off or were in bench).

So, don't worry about your old pay slips. Just carry papers that will show that you were in status all through (date of graduation to H1). You can use I-20, offer letter, any letter that you got for CPT. That should be enough.

I have not heard of them asking for company pictures. If it is publically traded, you can take their annual report (just for your peace of mind - I don't think they ask for it).

Just have things that will show that you were in status all the time and you are currently working for the ABC company. That should do it.
Ela
ajkk said:
Hi Guys,

I got my H1 in Feb 2004, I was on F1 before. During my F1, I did my internship for a company ABC on CPT (curriculum practical training), this was in year 2002. Now I'm planning to go for H1 stamping to canada. My question is do I need to carry pay stubs which i got when I was doing my internship on F1 along with the pay stubs which I am getting on H1. Unfortunately I dont have those pay stubs with me now. I am so worried on this, pls somebody give some inputs on this.

One more thing, do I need to take pictures of my company too along with other documents?

Pls Advise.

Thanks in advance
AJ_Indy

Traveling to Canada for less than 30 days

Is this rule still valid? You opinion is highly appreciated.

I would like to go to Canada for a week and come back. My h1b on my passport is expired. Do I still need to revalidate my visa at US consulate? or can I enter US using my valid i-94?
---------------------------------------------------
http://www.amcits.com/i-94.asp
-------------------------------------------
Circumstances in Which You Should Keep the I-94

The purpose of the I-94 is only to show that you did depart the U.S. within the time allowed. If your I-94 is for A, G, H, F or J visa status, the airlines will often advise you to retain the I-94 and re-use it after your brief stay abroad. This is not a cause for concern and it is fairly common for persons in those categories to be advised to retain their original I-94's.

Revalidation of an Expired U.S. Visa

Here is one other set of circumstances in which you should retain your Form I-94:

If your U.S. visa has expired, and

If you are traveling to Canada or Mexico for a temporary purpose of less than 30 days, and

If you want to automatically revalidate your visa without applying for a new visa

Then you must keep your I-94 to do that.
Note: Travelers from Iran, Iraq, Cuba, Syria, Sudan, Libya and North Korea cannot avail themselves of automatic revalidation if their visas have expired.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
======= Note : I am an India citizen

please help Ds156

Hi all,
I am going to toronto on monday for visa stamping. I got 221g from washington in june stating that, i need an interview. My question is what do i have to write for questions 35.

35-- Has your visa ever been cancelled or revoked?

I got a cancelled without prejudice stamp on my visa when i got 221g, what should i write yes or no?

same ppl told me writing yes will not grant me a visa, as my visa was revoked.

What if i have some errors on my DS-157 and they ask me to fill it again or do corrections, will i be able to do it inside the consulate or i have to go outside to do that?

please help i have only one day and i have already filled up the form. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance

WaitingStamping said:
Hi all,
I am going to toronto on monday for visa stamping. I got 221g from washington in june stating that, i need an interview. My question is what do i have to write for questions 35.

35-- Has your visa ever been cancelled or revoked?

I got a cancelled without prejudice stamp on my visa when i got 221g, what should i write yes or no?

same ppl told me writing yes will not grant me a visa, as my visa was revoked.

What if i have some errors on my DS-157 and they ask me to fill it again or do corrections, will i be able to do it inside the consulate or i have to go outside to do that?

please help i have only one day and i have already filled up the form. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance

I am convinced that 221g does not mean visa rejection, it means that they are unable to process the application for some reason. Regarding Ds-157 keep a couple of copies with you. They do minor corrections right on the form or ask you to do that while you stand at the visa interview counter. I doubt that someone on this forum will make such a huge mistake that they'll ask to fill it again. And even if they do you can fill it inside the cosulate, no need to go out.

Yes. As long as you stay less then 30 days and don't go to consulate for stamping.

shaisha2 said:
Is this rule still valid? You opinion is highly appreciated.

I would like to go to Canada for a week and come back. My h1b on my passport is expired. Do I still need to revalidate my visa at US consulate? or can I enter US using my valid i-94?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
======= Note : I am an India citizen

Thanx Chicago Desi

Thanx a lot, i really appreciat that, I was very confused but called couple of more ppl and got the same answer that i should write no, as it is not a refusal. I will keep every one posted.
thanx once again.

Question about travelling to Canada.

Hi..

I had a question about travelling to canada on an h1-b.

I have a valid h1-b stamp on my passport from my previous employer. And i have a valid 797 approval notice from my current employer.

So i should be able to travel to canada & get back to the US, right??

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
-R

HI stamped from toronto

Hi all,

Thax a lot every one specially CHICOGO DESI. I Got my visa stamped yesterday, no questions ask, just one thing long lines every where at toronto consulate. I am from pakistan and they gave me visa nextday, seems like they have streamlined every thing.

WaitingStamping said:
Hi all,

Thax a lot every one specially CHICOGO DESI. I Got my visa stamped yesterday, no questions ask, just one thing long lines every where at toronto consulate. I am from pakistan and they gave me visa nextday, seems like they have streamlined every thing.

Congrats!!!

Guys...
I scheduled an appointment with US consulate in toronto for early january. Today I recieved a call from them asking me for my confirmation to be able to come for interview. I did confirm. She also told me that you might be subjected to background check which might take upto 3 weeks. she said the visa officer will tell me if I need background check or not. btw I am from pakistan.
Question is, is it norm that they call every one before they send out the packet and to reconfirm ? or was I just too lucky/unlucky to be warned ahead of time for a possible background check ???????
please respondddddddddd