H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Yes, they do take passport and other documents first (before/during interview). But, if they decide that they are going to do a security check, then they give back all the documents except the application for visa.
The representative might be referring to the fact that they collect all documents to make the decision.

Just think about it, even if someone decides to go back to their homecountry while waiting for the security check to be done, they do not have the passport. They cannot hold your passport hostage for 2 months while the detailed security check is going on.

I recommend posting in several forums for a "practical" answer. On paper, people cannot come back inside the country using an expired visa. But, we all know that is not the case. They do let people come in as long as the I-94 is valid.

So, you need to be looking for a "practical answer" and not necessarily based on the regulations. Some are implemeted and some are not.

The point I am trying to make is that I don't know of any case where the consulate had taken the passport and held it for several weeks. (my own case will validate it. The security check took 3 weeks but I had the passport with me all the time).
Ela6

msb1319 said:
Thanks for your response. I just called the US consulate in Canada 900 number and asked them about the same. Their response was that passport is taken at the time of application and will be returned after decision is made meaning that i wont be able to enter into the US immediately after applying inspite of a valid visa stamp.

H1-B renewal stamp from calgary on Paki passport cont

ela6 said:
Yes, they do take passport and other documents first (before/during interview). But, if they decide that they are going to do a security check, then they give back all the documents except the application for visa.
The representative might be referring to the fact that they collect all documents to make the decision.

Just think about it, even if someone decides to go back to their homecountry while waiting for the security check to be done, they do not have the passport. They cannot hold your passport hostage for 2 months while the detailed security check is going on.

I recommend posting in several forums for a "practical" answer. On paper, people cannot come back inside the country using an expired visa. But, we all know that is not the case. They do let people come in as long as the I-94 is valid.

So, you need to be looking for a "practical answer" and not necessarily based on the regulations. Some are implemeted and some are not.

The point I am trying to make is that I don't know of any case where the consulate had taken the passport and held it for several weeks. (my own case will validate it. The security check took 3 weeks but I had the passport with me all the time).
Ela6

Again, thanks for the excellent detailed explanation. Now i understand why i keep hearing contradicting answers to the said question.
By the way, do you happen to have info. on immigration/border policies as far as entering US with 1 week of validity left on the visa.

I don't know about the policy. But, as far as logic goes, the visa is valid until the last date that is stamped on it. You should be able to enter even if only few hours are left. Once it expires, then it is another story. As I had mentioned earllier, people manage to come in even with expired visa (but with valid I-94). So, I don't think it is an issue if there is only 1 week left.

msb1319 said:
Again, thanks for the excellent detailed explanation. Now i understand why i keep hearing contradicting answers to the said question.
By the way, do you happen to have info. on immigration/border policies as far as entering US with 1 week of validity left on the visa.

msb1319 said:
Chicago Desi,

Thanks for the response. You mentioned that you had your stamp from Toronto last month. Do you have Canadian Immigration or something like that? reason for the question is that i'm trying to validate the info. given to me that only immigrants can get their stamps for Canada.

Yep, I have Canadian immigration.

7th year approval and visa stamping

I got my H1 approved recently but my visa in the passport is expired. Now i want to travel to mexico or canada with approved H1 document and valid I-94 along with the approved H1.

1. Can i travel with this approved H1 and also get myself and spouse passport stamped in mexico or canada?
2. Please suggest me the process like if i need to take the appointment at the respective embassies...?

Please help me....

Canada Immigration

Hi Guys,

I am planning to go to Canada for my H1 Stamping for the first time. I havent got my canada visa, just wanted to know the procedure how to obtain canadian visa. How do I apply? I live in chicago.

Thanks in advance.
AjIndy

Yes, you can go get a new visa. You need to make appt at www.nvars.com.

List of documents to be taken can be found by searching this forum. Not only that, you might find a lot of invaluable info in this forum. I suggest that you spend some time looking thro this forum which will give you a lot of clarity.

mvnm00 said:
I got my H1 approved recently but my visa in the passport is expired. Now i want to travel to mexico or canada with approved H1 document and valid I-94 along with the approved H1.

1. Can i travel with this approved H1 and also get myself and spouse passport stamped in mexico or canada?
2. Please suggest me the process like if i need to take the appointment at the respective embassies...?

Please help me....

Re: Getting Visa Stamped

Hi ,
One of my friends had come to US on a tourst visa from Pakistan and then converted to H1 here in the US. Its been four years since then and now he has got a Canadian PR and plans to go there for his US visa stamping .
Could that be a problem ?

Please let me know if anyone has heard or been in a similar situation .

Thanks,
ks1974

ks1974 said:
Hi ,
One of my friends had come to US on a tourst visa from Pakistan and then converted to H1 here in the US. Its been four years since then and now he has got a Canadian PR and plans to go there for his US visa stamping .
Could that be a problem ?

Please let me know if anyone has heard or been in a similar situation .

Thanks,
ks1974

I cant say anything with absolute surety, but I have heard that if the case from XYZ-to-H1 and the applicant's education was not from US or Canada then it may become the reason of rejection.

Please advice

I have valid H1b stamp till jan 16,2005.I got my 8th year extension valid until Jan 16th 2006.

If i go to Canda next week and assume if they reject my 8th year for some reason,Can i come to USA with my previous visa(valid till jan 16,2005)? or will they cancel my previous visa also and i have to go to India from Canada?

I was under the impression that even if they reject the 8th year,i can reenter USA as my 7th year H1b Visa will still be valid till Jan 16th,2005..But,it looks like they cancel the previous visa also if they reject my 8th year revalidation.

Please advice as i am going to Canada next week for 8th year stamping.

Thanks in advance.

What happened to your brother now? Did he get his visa after it was rejected?

smxhan said:
Hello

My brother went to canada to get his H1 stamped and they rejected his H1 saying that he should get it stamped from home country. He is working for a consultant and he was on bench for 6-8 months.. They are asking him to prove why he did not get paid for those 6 months. They looked at all previous H1s and Tax returns and W2s, asked for photos and told him it is not clearly approvable.

Please HELP what he should as he will not get an appointment in India for months....

Any advice will REALLY HELP.

Please advice

I have valid H1b stamp till jan 16,2005.I got my 8th year extension valid until Jan 16th 2006.

If i go to Canda next week and assume if they reject my 8th year for some reason,Can i come to USA with my previous visa(valid till jan 16,2005)? or will they cancel my previous visa also and i have to go to India from Canada?

I was under the impression that even if they reject the 8th year,i can reenter USA as my 7th year H1b Visa will still be valid till Jan 16th,2005..But,it looks like they cancel the previous visa also if they reject my 8th year revalidation.

Please advice as i am going to Canada next week for 8th year stamping.

Thanks in advance.

Krishna7...

I believe that if for whatever reason your 8th year extension gets rejected, then they will cancel the stamp that you currently have on your passport too.
So you probably cannot re-enter the US rightaway.

I might be wrong too about this, so consult your immigration attorney.
good luck.
-R

As far as "rejection" goes, there are two types. The first one, if they want more info such as a security check, the will NOT cancel your old visa (not issue a new one either) and simply ask you to come back later (will let you know the approximate time frame of wait). The second happens, when they think it is a fraudulent case. If for some reason they think you have falsified papers, etc (rare cases), then they will cancel the visa. The idea is that they don't want you here in the U.S. So, you can assume that the chances of getting the visa "cancelled" are slim.

The reson some times that they are not able to approve the visa is that they might want the degree certificates to be verified and stuff and they might feel that it might be easier to get it done at the home country. So, they ask you to go there.

ravishankar20 said:
Krishna7...

I believe that if for whatever reason your 8th year extension gets rejected, then they will cancel the stamp that you currently have on your passport too.
So you probably cannot re-enter the US rightaway.

I might be wrong too about this, so consult your immigration attorney.
good luck.
-R

Thanks ela6.

I appreciate the Info.

I have lived in USA for 7 years and i have all the W'2s and pays stubs etc.

I have done MS in India.Do i have to provide them education evalution also for my Degrees?

Which consulate in Canada do you suggest me to go?I live in NJ.

Let me know.

Krishna

first time h-1 from f-1 stamping in toronto

Hello,

I did post this issue in some other discussion area but nobody replied so Iam posting it in this thread and hope somebody will reply to it.

I came to US in 2000 on F-1 and I recently completed MS but Iam working since june 2003(CPT &OPT), my h1 started on october 1st 2004.
I didnt receive my degree certificate yet(most likely will get in Feb) and I want to go to canada(toronto) for H1 stamping(first time) in Jan. will there be any problem if I dont have my MS certificate when I go there.I will be having the completed transcript and a letter from my school that I completed my masters. I hope it should work.
I have an appointment in toronto in Jan and I will be applying for canadian visa in couple of days. What are all the documents required for canada visa and H-1 stamping in canada?

also, could somebody please let me know more about the interview at the consulate, like questions asked,more about precautions to be taken, days it will take to get the stamped passpost back and all the other important information.I would really appreciate if somebody could show me the direction.

Thanks,

Purab

First time H1B multiple Canada appointment

I need to get my H1B multiple visa stamped. I got the visa in sep, 03 (from f1 to h1). This is the first time i'll be stepping out of the country after getting the h1b. Can I go to Canada or Mexico for the stamp Or should i go ONLY to India?

Does anyone know??

Thanks,
Satish

Ottawa

Guys,

Does Anybody have any recent experience at Ottawa. Can someone tell me how to get to embassyfrom airport,any near by hotels and stuff like that.
Please share your experiences.

Thanks
AjIndy

H1 I797 approval validity till March 14 2005

My passport H1 visa stamping has long expired. My H1 I797 approval validity is till March 14 2005. I have to land in Canada within the next one and half months for Canadian immigration. Given that my I797 validity is for another 2+ months, will it be possible to try get the US visa stamping done in Canada now ? In other words is there any rule that the I797 approval validity has to be at least 6 more months for the visa stamping ?

Regards