H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

I have an appointment in mid-dec in Toronto. I received their confirmation letter a week ago, but haven't yet heard anything about any background check.
As far as i know, it's not routine for them to call folks to confirm their appointment, i guess yours is a special case for whatever reason.

-R

WaitingStamping,

Congrats!. ...I am also in the same boat. My visa is also denied at St.Louis. Do you have any U.S degree?...Did they look at you old Visa which has 'Cancelled without prejudice' mark?..

I am anxious to find more details about your experience. Please send me an email to Guntur_guy@hotmail.com with your experience and documents you took ..etc

arm5262 said:
Guys...
I scheduled an appointment with US consulate in toronto for early january. Today I recieved a call from them asking me for my confirmation to be able to come for interview. I did confirm. She also told me that you might be subjected to background check which might take upto 3 weeks. she said the visa officer will tell me if I need background check or not. btw I am from pakistan.
Question is, is it norm that they call every one before they send out the packet and to reconfirm ? or was I just too lucky/unlucky to be warned ahead of time for a possible background check ???????
please respondddddddddd

They called me and told me that I might be subject to background checks. But luckily they issued me visa with out that. :) I have heard that they tell this to all potential TAL and SR applicants. I guess the filling of DS-156 over web helps them figure out who to actually subject to more checks.

chicago_desi bhaeee,
I have not even filled up the application yet on there web site yet...I think the initial info that we put while getting the application on nvars.com is sufficient enough to raise the flag (being paki)...and they sometiems call to warn ahead of time...thats what I think..butI am glad I am not the only one to be picked for this "courtesy call"

I think they are just alerting you that you might be referred to a security check. The probability is high, that is it. It does not mean that the chance is 100%. On the other hand, just because you did not get the call, it does not mean that you will not be referred to the security check.

Moral of the story, the call just means that you fall into a high probability category.

arm5262 said:
Guys...
I scheduled an appointment with US consulate in toronto for early january. Today I recieved a call from them asking me for my confirmation to be able to come for interview. I did confirm. She also told me that you might be subjected to background check which might take upto 3 weeks. she said the visa officer will tell me if I need background check or not. btw I am from pakistan.
Question is, is it norm that they call every one before they send out the packet and to reconfirm ? or was I just too lucky/unlucky to be warned ahead of time for a possible background check ???????
please respondddddddddd

I agree with ela6. Either TAL/SR or not, you got yourself a high probability of lengthy background check these days. There is no guarantee that you'll sail through smoothly but most will.
arm5262, you are right, the initial screening is done when you get the appointment over the web. More information is collected when you fill the visa application online. I guess both complement each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got H1-B extension stamping in Calgary

I came on F-1 to US in 1997 and got my first H1 stamped at Vancouver. Changed job just before my previous H1 expired and went to stamping at Calgary. Got appointment just 1 week before and flew to Calgary through America West. I-94 not taken anywhere not was the visa ever checked. Even in Canada no one asked for my passport. The officer just took the Customs form and let me go. But after I picked my baggage, I realized that the US Embassy might ask me how I came to Canada and whether I came legally. So I went back to the immigration officer and insisted on getting an entry stamp. Stayed at Holiday Inn Express on 8th Avenue. The Embassy is about 8-9 blocks away but the metro is free inside downtown and Calgary is really a wonderful place. My appointment was at 8:30. I went there exactly on time and was let in around 9:00. After sitting for half an hour they called my token number and checked my application, took the fees of $100 and then told to take a seat. After about an hour later.... my name was called and a guy about 35 years old interviewed me for about 2 mins. Asked what I do? when I graduated? and if all the work is done in US? He didn't ask for any other documentation. Asked me to pay the $50 reciprocatory fees for Indians. Got the passport back the same day at 3:00. You should be prompt to pick or you will have to come back the next day. Didn't have time to go to rockies but looks like a great place. Not a lot of asians at the embassy. May be a couple of them while I was there...

- Ravi

I94

Ravigpus
Thanks for posting your experience. I am sure it will be very helpful and encouraging (no problem experienced). Just wanted to pass on my comments on I-94. I think there is a rule that if people visit Canada/Mexico, they do not need to surrender their I-94 (especially if they do not fly). Now, embassy does not know if you flew or walked across the border. So, the mere fact that you did not surrender your I-94 does not make you illegal. If airline does not take away your I-94, then it is even better as you can get back inside US even if your visa is delayed.

Surrender of valid I-94 is important when you leave the country for a long time and if your Duration of Stay is ending. It documents that did not overstay and left the country when you were supposed to.

The purpose of this posting is to futher clarify and possibly clear some confusion.
thanks
ela

ravigpus said:
I came on F-1 to US in 1997 and got my first H1 stamped at Vancouver. Changed job just before my previous H1 expired and went to stamping at Calgary. Got appointment just 1 week before and flew to Calgary through America West. I-94 not taken anywhere not was the visa ever checked. Even in Canada no one asked for my passport. The officer just took the Customs form and let me go. But after I picked my baggage, I realized that the US Embassy might ask me how I came to Canada and whether I came legally. So I went back to the immigration officer and insisted on getting an entry stamp. Stayed at Holiday Inn Express on 8th Avenue. The Embassy is about 8-9 blocks away but the metro is free inside downtown and Calgary is really a wonderful place. My appointment was at 8:30. I went there exactly on time and was let in around 9:00. After sitting for half an hour they called my token number and checked my application, took the fees of $100 and then told to take a seat. After about an hour later.... my name was called and a guy about 35 years old interviewed me for about 2 mins. Asked what I do? when I graduated? and if all the work is done in US? He didn't ask for any other documentation. Asked me to pay the $50 reciprocatory fees for Indians. Got the passport back the same day at 3:00. You should be prompt to pick or you will have to come back the next day. Didn't have time to go to rockies but looks like a great place. Not a lot of asians at the embassy. May be a couple of them while I was there...

- Ravi

Hi,
I agree that surrendering I-94 is not a big issue while visiting Canada/Mexico. But it may be important to get your passport stamped that you entered Canada/Mexico legally. Also the consulate officer has specificaly told me to get a new I-94 when entering the US. In Calgary, though the US immigration and customs is done before you board the plane. The interesting thing is the immigration officer stamped a new I-94 as well as the I-94 that comes with I-797 (Bottom stub). Ofcourse both have the same date of validity. I asked her why two... all she said was to keep the I-797's I-94 carefully because I won't get another... and to return the new I-94 while leaving the country. Any comments....

- Ravi

Whenever some one enters US after getting a new visa, they are required to get a new I-94 and a new stamp (immigration).

While entering Canada or Mexico, they don't necessarily stamp all the passports. Again, when you drive or walk up to the border, they do not necessarily check your papers. When some one leaves US no one is bothered ,only when you return they are concerned you have proper visa to get into US. For example, if you go through Tijuana, Mexico border near San Diego, there is no one to check your paper. You simply drive through at 10 mph or walk through a gate. No checking of papers whatsoever.

Thanks
Ela

ravigpus said:
Hi,
I agree that surrendering I-94 is not a big issue while visiting Canada/Mexico. But it may be important to get your passport stamped that you entered Canada/Mexico legally. Also the consulate officer has specificaly told me to get a new I-94 when entering the US. In Calgary, though the US immigration and customs is done before you board the plane. The interesting thing is the immigration officer stamped a new I-94 as well as the I-94 that comes with I-797 (Bottom stub). Ofcourse both have the same date of validity. I asked her why two... all she said was to keep the I-797's I-94 carefully because I won't get another... and to return the new I-94 while leaving the country. Any comments....

- Ravi

Ques about automatic revalidation

Can I goto Canada for automatic revalidation, if all my VISA stamps i.e. H1-Bs have been stamped "Cancelled without prejudice", although I do have approved new I797 till March'2007. FYI, I am from India and have been in US for 7 years now on H1 i.e. granted extension once becuase of pending labor.

H1-B renewal stamp from calgary on Paki passport

I have been reading the posts in this thread and find them to be very useful and encouraging.
I'm going for my H1-B renewal stamping in about 2 weeks from now from Calgary, Canada. Currently i carry a valid visa stamp till 1 Jan 2005 on my Pakistani passport. My first H1-B stamp was from Pakistan and I'm still with the same employer.
I would appreciate if someone could provide feedback on the following:
1. I was told by a couple of people today that H1-B applicants from Pakistan CAN NOT have their visa stamped from Canada. They can schedule an appointment which eventually gets cancelled and they end up travelling to Pakistan for the stamping process. Is this true?
2. Assuming 1 is not true, i go to Canada, submit my application and return back immediately to the US without waiting for processing, security checks etc. Is this possible considering that i still have a valid visa stamp till 1 Jan?
3. If 2 is possible, does that mean that the consulate returns the passport and all original docs. like I-797 once the application is submitted and doesnt withhold these till a decision is made?
4. Any idea of the timeframe of getting the visa stamped from Canada(Calgary) given my circumstances or for people from Pakistan in general
5. How about the timeframe of getting the visa stamped from Pakistan?

Your input will be much appreciated!

regards,

See inline in bold.

msb1319 said:
I have been reading the posts in this thread and find them to be very useful and encouraging.
I'm going for my H1-B renewal stamping in about 2 weeks from now from Calgary, Canada. Currently i carry a valid visa stamp till 1 Jan 2005 on my Pakistani passport. My first H1-B stamp was from Pakistan and I'm still with the same employer.
1. I was told by a couple of people today that H1-B applicants from Pakistan CAN NOT have their visa stamped from Canada. They can schedule an appointment which eventually gets cancelled and they end up travelling to Pakistan for the stamping process. Is this true?

It is not entirely true. A lot of Pakistanis are getting visas and things have improved in 04. I got mine from Toronto this month. But there is no guarantee, your application may be accepted or it may be rejected. Nobody knows for sure.

2. Assuming 1 is not true, i go to Canada, submit my application and return back immediately to the US without waiting for processing, security checks etc. Is this possible considering that i still have a valid visa stamp till 1 Jan?

You cannot come back from Canada without a valid H1 stamp on your passport. I am not sure what will they do to your current H1 stamping IF you are subject to extended security clearance.

3. If 2 is possible, does that mean that the consulate returns the passport and all original docs. like I-797 once the application is submitted and doesnt withhold these till a decision is made?

AFAIK, they return all your originals in ANY case.

4. Any idea of the timeframe of getting the visa stamped from Canada(Calgary) given my circumstances or for people from Pakistan in general

I got my passport back the next day. I am from Pakistan.

I know a guy who got it in 3 weeks, one guy in 5 weeks, couple in 6-8 weeks and a bunch in 8+ weeks. So one word, "uncertain".

regards,

P.S. It's Pakistani, not Paki.

Hi there,
I am not sure about item#1
As far as item#2 is concerned, you can go there, they will return your passport and other papers. They will keep only your visa application. Since you have a valid visa (unless the visa is cancelled by the consulate - this is really a rare case - they will do this only if they think that your re-entry is risky) re-entering will not be a problem.

Time frame for security check was around 3 weeks (if done from Pakistan, might be slightly longer) last month for a simple name match. If your prelim check (perhaps your name matches some in the black list), they might do a more thorough check which might take longer to the tune of 2 months or so. If you have a very common name, you they might end up checking you thoroughly. Also, it also depends on what kind of profession you are in. Basically, if they think you are a risky customer, thorough check will be done or else just a simple check (3 weeks) will be done. It depends upon how the officer sees it.

Ela

msb1319 said:

regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in my 7 th year H1B that is valid until 01/17/2005(both Visa and I-94 are valid till 01/17/2005)

I got 8th year extension today(based on my LC pending) through the same employer valid till 01/17/2006.

I want to get the 8th year H1B and H4 for my wife stamped in Canada as there are wait times in Chennai in India.

I plan on going to Canada in December second week.My questions are as below.

1.I live in NJ and i am from India,which consulate in canda shall i go for stamping?

2.Do they return the passport on the same day?

3.Shalli fly or drive to canada?Will they take my current I-94 valid till 01/17/2005 when i leave to Canada?

4.My current H1B Visa expires on 01/17/2005..In worst case scenario,if they reject my H1B 8th year Stamping, i should not have any problems entering back to USA as i am going there in the second week of Decemeber(current visa expired on 01/17/2005)..correct?

5.I have all the W'2s and pay stubs etc and was never out of status.Do i have to show them the LC filing that is pending based on which i got the 8Th year eligibility?

6.What reason i have to tell the officer if he/she asks me why i came to Canada for H1B stamping?

Please advice and i would appreciate all the thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

H1 B stamping in Ontario State Ottawa City

Can anyone please help me out with this problem.

I came to US 2001 Jan to do my Masters in Computer Science. I am almost done with my MS and just have to defend my thesis to graduate. I will be defending some time in the middle of 2005. I got a full time job and company has filed for my H1B.

I have bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering from India but will not have my MS degree in Computer Science from US when i go for VISA stamping.

I am getting married in the month of March 2004 and have to go Inida and I am very afraid to go for stamping in India-Chenna. I have the following question and I need your help.

1) Which country is the best probable place to get my H1B stamped (Canada, Mexico or India)?
2) Whether not having a degree in US will hamper my chance of H1B Stamping in Cananda/Mexico (I still do have transcripts and can get a letter from school)?
3) Where can I find the help to prepare documents that I need to provide to the consulate?

Please can someone help me out.

1) Which country is the best probable place to get my H1B stamped (Canada, Mexico or India)?
As far as I can tell, avoid Tijuana, Mexico as they do more security check than others. Depending on where you live, you could go to either Canada or Mexico (whichever is closer)
2) Whether not having a degree in US will hamper my chance of H1B Stamping in Cananda/Mexico (I still do have transcripts and can get a letter from school)?
US degree can only help. Because, they do NOT have to worry about the authenticity of your degree (some might give fake degrees from India)
3) Where can I find the help to prepare documents that I need to provide to the consulate?
http://www.path2usa.com/immigration/h1bcorner/h1b_visa.htm

apa_samy said:
Can anyone please help me out with this problem.

I came to US 2001 Jan to do my Masters in Computer Science. I am almost done with my MS and just have to defend my thesis to graduate. I will be defending some time in the middle of 2005. I got a full time job and company has filed for my H1B.

I have bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering from India but will not have my MS degree in Computer Science from US when i go for VISA stamping.

I am getting married in the month of March 2004 and have to go Inida and I am very afraid to go for stamping in India-Chenna. I have the following question and I need your help.

Please can someone help me out.

H1-B renewal stamp from calgary on Paki passport cont

ela6 said:
Whenever some one enters US after getting a new visa, they are required to get a new I-94 and a new stamp (immigration).

While entering Canada or Mexico, they don't necessarily stamp all the passports. Again, when you drive or walk up to the border, they do not necessarily check your papers. When some one leaves US no one is bothered ,only when you return they are concerned you have proper visa to get into US. For example, if you go through Tijuana, Mexico border near San Diego, there is no one to check your paper. You simply drive through at 10 mph or walk through a gate. No checking of papers whatsoever.

Thanks
Ela

Thanks for your response. I just called the US consulate in Canada 900 number and asked them about the same. Their response was that passport is taken at the time of application and will be returned after decision is made meaning that i wont be able to enter into the US immediately after applying inspite of a valid visa stamp.

Chicago Desi,

Thanks for the response. You mentioned that you had your stamp from Toronto last month. Do you have Canadian Immigration or something like that? reason for the question is that i'm trying to validate the info. given to me that only immigrants can get their stamps for Canada.

Chicago Desi said:
Any idea of the timeframe of getting the visa stamped from Canada(Calgary) given my circumstances or for people from Pakistan in general

I got my passport back the next day. I am from Pakistan.

You mean you got it Stamped within a day?