H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Question regarding return Trip

DSLSTART,

Thanks for the reply.
One more question, how Do I Book the return Trip, Is it possible to get stamp on the same Day ?

Thx.
Amar

amarm999 said:
DSLSTART,

Thanks for the reply.
One more question, how Do I Book the return Trip, Is it possible to get stamp on the same Day ?

Thx.
Amar

Ottawa consulate will return your pp the same day at 3:00 pm if your case is straight forward.

H1B and H4 Stamping in Toronto

Hello,

Please help !!!!

I am planning to go to Toronto for H1B / H4 Stamping in August 2005. I will be landing in Canada as a Permanent Resident ( never been to Canada before ). I heard that when I go for H1 stamping at the consulate they will ask for my PR card which I won't get until 3 to 4 weeks after I land in Canada. I am only staying for a week in Canada.

Do I need to have to have PR card for H1 stamping or my landed papers will suffice. Or any other required document I need to carry for the stamping.

Please help me if anybody out there went through similar situation.

Regards,
FLYHIGH

Hi Guys,

I have H1B stamping appt in the 1st week of Aug 2005 in Ottawa.
I would really appreciate if you could reply to the following:

Background:
I have 4 yr degree from India in Mech Engg. But I have 9 years
of Experience in IT. I have one prev H1B stamping and one L1B stamping.
I switched over from L1B to H1B in August 2004. I am going for the stamping of the current H1b which is valid till Aug 2006. I have paystubs, w2 etc.

1. Given my background, how risky is it to go to Canada for stamping? Is it better to go to India?

2. I have Advance Parole. If the H1B stamping gets denied in Canada for some reason, can I comeback to USA using AP?

3. Then If I go to India for 2 weeks, Can I re-enter USA using the same AP.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards.

my wife was on H4 visa before she received her H1B. It's been little over 6 months since she started working. Now my wife is planning to attend H1B visa interview at Chennai Consulate.

1) Does it, working for just 6 months, cause any issues in getting visa approval?

2) My wife's H1B was approved as of Oct 1 2004, but she hasn't started until Dec 1 2004 due to delays in receiving SSN. Does this TWO months gap raise any issues at the visa interview?

Thanks
ind

indgc123 said:
my wife was on H4 visa before she received her H1B. It's been little over 6 months since she started working. Now my wife is planning to attend H1B visa interview at Chennai Consulate.

1) Does it, working for just 6 months, cause any issues in getting visa approval?
No.

2) My wife's H1B was approved as of Oct 1 2004, but she hasn't started until Dec 1 2004 due to delays in receiving SSN. Does this TWO months gap raise any issues at the visa interview?
No.

Thanks
ind

Stamping in Canada

Can H1 and H4 visa stamping be done in Canada these days or one has to go to India (home country) for it?

There was a rule sometime back that one can get visa stamp only in the home country.

Thanks

Successfull H1B Revalidation at Toronto despite LastName/FirstName Mix UP

Dear Friends here is my story.

Background:
Me - Came to US in 1997 to UNCC, completed my masters in 1999. Opt from Jan 2000 to Jan 2001.
Ist H1B from Jan 2001 to Jan 2004. Revalidated this via drop box from tts visa services at Hyderabad to Chennai in March 2001.
2nd H1B from Jan 2004 to Jan 2007. Successfull Revalidation at Toronto on June 8th.
My wife: Cam to US in 2000 to a school in IL. Completed her MS by end of 2002.
OPT from June 2003 till Mar 15 2004. H4 from till OCT 2004. First H1B from Oct 1 2004 to Nov 15 2004. Second H1B from Nov 15

2004 - current.

Timewise:
April 17th: - made online appointment on nvars.com for June 8th at Toronto for me and my wife.
May 19th: Went to Canadian Consulate to obtain single entry visa for me, my wife and my inlaws (they are here to see us and help us

for my newborn daughter).
May 20th: Picked up all the four canadian stamped passports from Canadian Consulate. My daughter is US citizen with US Passport:

so she does not need Canadian Visa.

June 8th: 5 of us flew from IAD to Buffalo. We bought this ticket on FLYI.com for $70.00 each of us two way. Picked the rental car at

Buffalo airport and drove to Canadian border past Niagara.
Conversation with Canadian Border official.
CBO: Where you going?
Me: Toronto
CBO: Why?
Me: Visa Revalidation.
CBO: For whom?
Me: Me and my wife.
CBO: How about others?
Me: There are coming with us to visit Toronto
CBO: Do you all have Visa?
Me: Yes.. and showed the Visa...
CBO: Pull into the Customs Office further down from the border post.
Went into the Customs office, showed them all the 5 passport, Officer, asked the purpose of visit, asked what we are taking to

Canada, amount of US currency. He then struck the issued Visa on all 4 passports and stamped our passports for entry till first of

Decemebr.

From there we drove to toronto and checked in the Marriott Hotel on 90 bloor street. We reserved this hotel in Priceline and got it for

$70 per night - two rooms/ two nights. I guess its a very good deal.

June 9th - Appointment at 9:30 AM.
Went to Scotia Bank at 8:00 AM at 44 KingStreet, gave 2 x 100 USD to pick two vouchers for me and my wife.
8:15 AM- Reached US Consulate after a brief walk from Scotia Bankt to US COnsulate. Stood in the line in front of the building. Then

a guard came and asked me if we have appointment and when we showed the appointment letter, advised us to the back side of the

building.
8:20 AM. Already 15 members standing at the rear entrance of the building. Stood and Q. Guard checked for appointment letter and

let us inside the building around 8:40. Went through the metal detector. and stood in the Q in the Corridor. Entered the main building

around 9:30. Around this time there another lady walking aside the Q and making sure that they have all the documents... she

checked ours and asked us to remain in the line.
9:30 AM: when it was our turn went to counter (i remember its 2). The lady looked at our (both) photos and rejected and said that the

photos need to have white back ground ( I thought the pics I took had white background). She also wanted me to add my highschool

information in the DS 157.
Any ways, we used the photo machine US consulate to get the pics and stood back in the line AGAIN. (Carry CDN 5 with you just in

case if the Lady in the counter rejects your photos. You get 4 photos from this machine which are OK and serves the purpose. I Had

10 CDN and asked around those waiting if they can split... there was one person who had two 5 CDNs and exchanged it for my 10

CDN...). I used a seperate sheet for adding the information in DS 157
10:00 AM. Another counter... another lady...
Lady: Show me your appointment letter....
We: Showed her the letter
Lady: I 797, DS 156, DS 157
We: Showed them.
Lady: Status in Canada, told her that we are here on Visitors visa.. she ran through passport book and could not locate the Canadian

visa,,, I took the passport and showed her...
Lady: Your name does not match passport and I 797.
We: Yeah I know...

Background: My name per passport
Surname : SN1 SN2
GivenName: GN1 GN2 GN3
NOTE THE SPACES....
Per my US Docs:
LastName GN2GN3, FirstName: SN1SN2, MiddleName: GN1
I know its all jumbled... but what can I do ... I wrote this way back in 1997 in GRE forms and school forms and did not get opportunity

to change it back....

Lady: You got to change your passport....
Me: Yeah once I get back to DC I will
Me: Will this be a problem now?
Lady: Donno know, can't say, can't guarantee... she took both our docs and asked us to stand in Q...
waited for 1 and half hour...

Our name was called at around 12:00 by Visa office in counter 7 (as I remember).... as Indian Passport GN1GN2... As the Visa

Officer was struggling with my name, I knew it was me...

Walked to the Counter...
Me: Good Morning
VO: Show me your Employment letters - showed them.
VO: What do you do for your company: explained to her my duties...VO Confirmed my job title and entered into the system.
VO: What do you do for your company: QUestion at my wife.... she explained her job description. VO Confirmed her job title and

entered into the system.
VO: Show me your paystubs. - showed them... my wife had a break in paystubs... she did not get one because she was on maternity

leave... took a letter from the employer explaining this.. showed it to the VO... asking her if she cares for that...
VO: Whats that? I explained that letter...
VO: Congrats so you had a baby recently...
We: Thanks... yes couple of months back...
VO: You dont look like you had a baby....
My Wife: we are trying...
VO: SMiled...
VO: When did you come to US? Question posed at me... explained her all the Visa Status
VO: When did you come to US? Question posed at my wife... she explained all the Visa status held all the time...
VO:Whats your course of Study at your school? I told its Applied Physics I have a bunch of courses in CS and I volunteered to show

my transcripts...
VO: thats ok.. I dont need to look at it...

At this point of time I noticed that she already had ONE blue slip beside her.. looking at One blue slip, my heart sank and I thought I

am in soup because there are not two slips but one...

She gave me the blue slip and asked me to pay the fee... when I looked closedly on the slip, its mentioned at 50 x 2... then I asked

VO if its for both of us.. she said if we want, she can give two... I said I am ok with one... and asked her if we are through and

everything is fine and if we both were issued Visa... VO said yes...
I went upstairs and wanted to pay with cash, the lady at the counter said she wanted exact change.. so I have credit card and paid

with that...

Overall... The VO is very nice and warm... interview lasted for 5mins... There was no mention of my name mismatch....

Came down to the main room showed the VO the receipt of payment of USD 100... she gave me receipts to pick the passports next

day between 3:00 PM and 4:00 PM.
The entire restlessness and tension for two and half months was solved in 5 mins....

By the time we came out, it was 12:30 PM and we realised that we were starving since the morning....

Nextday:
2:15 PM - Went to consulates rear entrance..
2:45 PM - Counter opened...
2:50 PM - my turn to pick the passport and picked them...

The visa on the passport was just the way it was on Passport but not as on I797.... What a relief....

Next day at the border post.
Only one person at the border post...
US Custom official: Where you coming from
me: Toronto
USCO: Why - explained her
USCO: Any fruits or vegetables in your car? Any tobacco or alcohol or anything from customs stores... we said know...
USCO: Looked at our 5 passports and let us go to US... During this 5 min stop, we did not even get out of the car....

Though its my second revalidation I was really really worried about my Name mix up, since first was prior in March 2001, I thought,

since the rules changed a lot after Sept 2001, I thought I will run into issues with my name mix up...

Docs We carried:
Visa Appointment letter, I797,DS156,DS157 (just for me),Paystubs, tax returns (3years),BankStmts,UtilityBills,US/Indian Degree

Certs, Transcripts.Vouchers for 100 at Scotia bank.

Please let me know if you guys have any questions.... I will glad to share...
I would like to thank Rajiv Khanna and this forum Organization members and lot for hosting this forum. This has been of great and immense

help to us.... If not for this... I dont know how else I would have prepared.....
- Kiran

the first issue should not be a problem. for the second one, what is considered to be her status during the two month period?

kiran00 said:
Dear Friends here is my story.

Background:
Me - Came to US in 1997 to UNCC, completed my masters in 1999. Opt from Jan 2000 to Jan 2001.
Ist H1B from Jan 2001 to Jan 2004. Revalidated this via drop box from tts visa services at Hyderabad to Chennai in March 2001.
2nd H1B from Jan 2004 to Jan 2007. Successfull Revalidation at Toronto on June 8th.
My wife: Cam to US in 2000 to a school in IL. Completed her MS by end of 2002.
OPT from June 2003 till Mar 15 2004. H4 from till OCT 2004. First H1B from Oct 1 2004 to Nov 15 2004. Second H1B from Nov 15

2004 - current.

Timewise:
April 17th: - made online appointment on nvars.com for June 8th at Toronto for me and my wife.
May 19th: Went to Canadian Consulate to obtain single entry visa for me, my wife and my inlaws (they are here to see us and help us

for my newborn daughter).
May 20th: Picked up all the four canadian stamped passports from Canadian Consulate. My daughter is US citizen with US Passport:

so she does not need Canadian Visa.

June 8th: 5 of us flew from IAD to Buffalo. We bought this ticket on FLYI.com for $70.00 each of us two way. Picked the rental car at

Buffalo airport and drove to Canadian border past Niagara.
Conversation with Canadian Border official.
CBO: Where you going?
Me: Toronto
CBO: Why?
Me: Visa Revalidation.
CBO: For whom?
Me: Me and my wife.
CBO: How about others?
Me: There are coming with us to visit Toronto
CBO: Do you all have Visa?
Me: Yes.. and showed the Visa...
CBO: Pull into the Customs Office further down from the border post.
Went into the Customs office, showed them all the 5 passport, Officer, asked the purpose of visit, asked what we are taking to

Canada, amount of US currency. He then struck the issued Visa on all 4 passports and stamped our passports for entry till first of

Decemebr.

From there we drove to toronto and checked in the Marriott Hotel on 90 bloor street. We reserved this hotel in Priceline and got it for

$70 per night - two rooms/ two nights. I guess its a very good deal.

June 9th - Appointment at 9:30 AM.
Went to Scotia Bank at 8:00 AM at 44 KingStreet, gave 2 x 100 USD to pick two vouchers for me and my wife.
8:15 AM- Reached US Consulate after a brief walk from Scotia Bankt to US COnsulate. Stood in the line in front of the building. Then

a guard came and asked me if we have appointment and when we showed the appointment letter, advised us to the back side of the

building.
8:20 AM. Already 15 members standing at the rear entrance of the building. Stood and Q. Guard checked for appointment letter and

let us inside the building around 8:40. Went through the metal detector. and stood in the Q in the Corridor. Entered the main building

around 9:30. Around this time there another lady walking aside the Q and making sure that they have all the documents... she

checked ours and asked us to remain in the line.
9:30 AM: when it was our turn went to counter (i remember its 2). The lady looked at our (both) photos and rejected and said that the

photos need to have white back ground ( I thought the pics I took had white background). She also wanted me to add my highschool

information in the DS 157.
Any ways, we used the photo machine US consulate to get the pics and stood back in the line AGAIN. (Carry CDN 5 with you just in

case if the Lady in the counter rejects your photos. You get 4 photos from this machine which are OK and serves the purpose. I Had

10 CDN and asked around those waiting if they can split... there was one person who had two 5 CDNs and exchanged it for my 10

CDN...). I used a seperate sheet for adding the information in DS 157
10:00 AM. Another counter... another lady...
Lady: Show me your appointment letter....
We: Showed her the letter
Lady: I 797, DS 156, DS 157
We: Showed them.
Lady: Status in Canada, told her that we are here on Visitors visa.. she ran through passport book and could not locate the Canadian

visa,,, I took the passport and showed her...
Lady: Your name does not match passport and I 797.
We: Yeah I know...

Background: My name per passport
Surname : SN1 SN2
GivenName: GN1 GN2 GN3
NOTE THE SPACES....
Per my US Docs:
LastName GN2GN3, FirstName: SN1SN2, MiddleName: GN1
I know its all jumbled... but what can I do ... I wrote this way back in 1997 in GRE forms and school forms and did not get opportunity

to change it back....

Lady: You got to change your passport....
Me: Yeah once I get back to DC I will
Me: Will this be a problem now?
Lady: Donno know, can't say, can't guarantee... she took both our docs and asked us to stand in Q...
waited for 1 and half hour...

Our name was called at around 12:00 by Visa office in counter 7 (as I remember).... as Indian Passport GN1GN2... As the Visa

Officer was struggling with my name, I knew it was me...

Walked to the Counter...
Me: Good Morning
VO: Show me your Employment letters - showed them.
VO: What do you do for your company: explained to her my duties...VO Confirmed my job title and entered into the system.
VO: What do you do for your company: QUestion at my wife.... she explained her job description. VO Confirmed her job title and

entered into the system.
VO: Show me your paystubs. - showed them... my wife had a break in paystubs... she did not get one because she was on maternity

leave... took a letter from the employer explaining this.. showed it to the VO... asking her if she cares for that...
VO: Whats that? I explained that letter...
VO: Congrats so you had a baby recently...
We: Thanks... yes couple of months back...
VO: You dont look like you had a baby....
My Wife: we are trying...
VO: SMiled...
VO: When did you come to US? Question posed at me... explained her all the Visa Status
VO: When did you come to US? Question posed at my wife... she explained all the Visa status held all the time...
VO:Whats your course of Study at your school? I told its Applied Physics I have a bunch of courses in CS and I volunteered to show

my transcripts...
VO: thats ok.. I dont need to look at it...

At this point of time I noticed that she already had ONE blue slip beside her.. looking at One blue slip, my heart sank and I thought I

am in soup because there are not two slips but one...

She gave me the blue slip and asked me to pay the fee... when I looked closedly on the slip, its mentioned at 50 x 2... then I asked

VO if its for both of us.. she said if we want, she can give two... I said I am ok with one... and asked her if we are through and

everything is fine and if we both were issued Visa... VO said yes...
I went upstairs and wanted to pay with cash, the lady at the counter said she wanted exact change.. so I have credit card and paid

with that...

Overall... The VO is very nice and warm... interview lasted for 5mins... There was no mention of my name mismatch....

Came down to the main room showed the VO the receipt of payment of USD 100... she gave me receipts to pick the passports next

day between 3:00 PM and 4:00 PM.
The entire restlessness and tension for two and half months was solved in 5 mins....

By the time we came out, it was 12:30 PM and we realised that we were starving since the morning....

Nextday:
2:15 PM - Went to consulates rear entrance..
2:45 PM - Counter opened...
2:50 PM - my turn to pick the passport and picked them...

The visa on the passport was just the way it was on Passport but not as on I797.... What a relief....

Next day at the border post.
Only one person at the border post...
US Custom official: Where you coming from
me: Toronto
USCO: Why - explained her
USCO: Any fruits or vegetables in your car? Any tobacco or alcohol or anything from customs stores... we said know...
USCO: Looked at our 5 passports and let us go to US... During this 5 min stop, we did not even get out of the car....

Though its my second revalidation I was really really worried about my Name mix up, since first was prior in March 2001, I thought,

since the rules changed a lot after Sept 2001, I thought I will run into issues with my name mix up...

Docs We carried:
Visa Appointment letter, I797,DS156,DS157 (just for me),Paystubs, tax returns (3years),BankStmts,UtilityBills,US/Indian Degree

Certs, Transcripts.Vouchers for 100 at Scotia bank.

Please let me know if you guys have any questions.... I will glad to share...
I would like to thank Rajiv Khanna and this forum Organization members and lot for hosting this forum. This has been of great and immense

help to us.... If not for this... I dont know how else I would have prepared.....
- Kiran

Congrats Kiran! also nice post for tensed applicants in planning phase...

gcin05 said:
Can H1 and H4 visa stamping be done in Canada these days or one has to go to India (home country) for it?

There was a rule sometime back that one can get visa stamp only in the home country.

Thanks

Yes it can be done at Canada, but depends on your situation. Go through the previous posts in this thread and you'll find all your answers.

H1 and F1 stamping in Canada

Hi All,
I am planning to get my H1-B and my wife's F1 stamped from canada in august 2005. I have always been in status and my (H1) and my wife's (H4) visas stamped on pp are from previous employer and expired in march 2005.
I ahve joined new employer last aug. and have visa validity until Feb-2006. My wife just got her change of status to F1 from H4 in april.

1. Is it advisable to go to Canada and get our both's visas stamped?

2. I have to book the appointment but dunno Which consulate is better?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Anil

anil_mandra said:
Hi All,
I am planning to get my H1-B and my wife's F1 stamped from canada in august 2005. I have always been in status and my (H1) and my wife's (H4) visas stamped on pp are from previous employer and expired in march 2005.
I ahve joined new employer last aug. and have visa validity until Feb-2006. My wife just got her change of status to F1 from H4 in april.

1. Is it advisable to go to Canada and get our both's visas stamped?
Canada/Mexico is far better than Chennai or other places...

2. I have to book the appointment but dunno Which consulate is better?
I had a very good experience in Canada/Toronto.... I would recommend Toronto or Ottawa...

Thanks for the help in advance.
Anil

Toronto is cool except that you dont get the passport same day... you have to be there to pick the passport nextday....

Not a legal Advice... only opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Kiran00

Kiran00,
could you please tell me if we need to schedule two different appointments for each one of us or only booking one appt. slot would be enough since my wife is on F1.
Thought of asking you this as i read in your posting that you and your wife both got H1's stamped together.

Thanks for your help.
Anil

Seperate appointments

anil_mandra said:
Kiran00,
could you please tell me if we need to schedule two different appointments for each one of us or only booking one appt. slot would be enough since my wife is on F1.
Thought of asking you this as i read in your posting that you and your wife both got H1's stamped together.

Thanks for your help.
Anil

If one Visa is dependent on the other, ie Yours is H1 and your wife's is H4 vice versa, or yours is F1 and yours wife's is F2... then you can book just one appointment... but however if yours and your wife's visa are two different like two different H1Bs or F1Bs or combination, then you need to book two different appointments. atleast thats what I have done....
If you book your time well ahead of time, you will get them on the same day... in such a case, your liability is just another appointment fee thats USD12...

- Kiran

H1B stamping in Hungary

Hi All:

I have read all the previous posts about visa stamping in Canada. Most of them are positive experiences.

I am planning to go to Hungary on a business trip. I wanted to get my H1B stamped in Hungary. Is there any 'more' risk in trying H1B stamping in Hungary? The USA consulate in Hungary has given me appointment after looking at copies of my documents.

I was on F1 visa four years and have H1B status from last 2 years.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Raj

Automatic Visa Revalidation - URGENT HELP!!!

Hello Experts,

I am planning to drive to Vancouver,BC, Canada from
Seattle ,this weekend with my family (spouse and 2 kids) for 3
(three) days and return to USA by road to apply for PR
Card.

Am I (A Indian Citizen) eligible for "AUTOMATIC
REVALIDATION OF VISA" rule??

as per regulations, 22 CFR Section 42.112(d), which
were
changed on March 7, 2002.

http://www.nafsa.org/content/Profes...ces/Immigration

1)I have a valid I-797 H1B approval petition with I-94
up to April,2006.
2)My stay in Canada is only for 3 days.
3)I have a 10 year valid Indian Passport.
4)My H1B visa stamp in my passport EXPIRED in
May'2003.
5)I have my recent pay stubs and employment letter
from the employer.
and all relevant documents.

I have been reading contradictory posts on this forum.
What is the latest situation?

I am totally confused

Any Latest experiences to share with.

Your valuable advise in this regard is sincerely
appreciated.

Thanks,

Mannu99 :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I am not an expert in this; my understanding is that you can re-enter.
However, that does not mean your visa is automatically revalidated; for that you have to make an appointment at consulate.
also check the forum under visiting canada on this site.

ananthsen said:
Hello Experts,

I am planning to drive to Vancouver,BC, Canada from
Seattle ,this weekend with my family (spouse and 2 kids) for 3
(three) days and return to USA by road to apply for PR
Card.

Am I (A Indian Citizen) eligible for "AUTOMATIC
REVALIDATION OF VISA" rule??

as per regulations, 22 CFR Section 42.112(d), which
were
changed on March 7, 2002.

http://www.nafsa.org/content/Profes...ces/Immigration

1)I have a valid I-797 H1B approval petition with I-94
up to April,2006.
2)My stay in Canada is only for 3 days.
3)I have a 10 year valid Indian Passport.
4)My H1B visa stamp in my passport EXPIRED in
May'2003.
5)I have my recent pay stubs and employment letter
from the employer.
and all relevant documents.

I have been reading contradictory posts on this forum.
What is the latest situation?

I am totally confused

Any Latest experiences to share with.

Your valuable advise in this regard is sincerely
appreciated.

Thanks,

Mannu99 :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Eligibility for automatic extension of validity at ports of entry

The automatic extension of validity at ports of entry benefit is only available to a nonimmigrant who:

has a Form I-94 valid for an unexpired period of admission or extension of stay, or for duration of status (D/S)

has a current Form I-20 endorsed for reentry

is applying for readmission after an absence not exceeding 30 days solely in Canada or Mexico or, adjacent islands in the Caribbean other than Cuba

has maintained and intends to resume nonimmigrant status

is applying for readmission within the authorized period of initial admission or extension of stay

has a valid passport

has not applied for a new visa during this particular trip

is not inadmissible as a nonimmigrant under I.N.A. § 212

has never had a visa canceled under I.N.A. § 222(g)

is not a citizen or national of a country that has been designated as a "state sponsor of terrorism"