H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Unique said:
Hi All,

I booked a date in Ottawa office for VISA stamping. But I took a new position and will be joining exactly one day after VISA stamping. Now I am in dilemma... whether to attend for VISA stamping or wait for some time and go on new H1B? Please advise..... is it ok to have VISA stamping from old company or is it required to have current employers name on VISA Stamp?

Thanks
You are joining a new company that means you have an approved I797 for this new company.
in that case, it is a good idea to use the new I797 to do your stamping.

ATT75 said:
Hi Everyone!

I'm so glad my friend directed me here.

I'm an Australian Citizen (PhD from Australia) on a H1B visa since 2002. After a year of work in Texas I changed institutes to Baltimore and was able to successfully apply for a new visa which was stamped back in Australia. That visa has now just expired ie June 1st 2005 and since 2003 I have again switched jobs because my boss moved labs to Chicago. I have a new Notification with this new institute which states my H1B will now expire in 2007. I am thinking I need to apply for the visa stamp (the current notification) and I want to go to Canada for this.

1) Can you tell me how many days it takes to get the above done?

2) I know i need to make an appointment first and I am trying to figure out which Canadian US consular I should go to.

3) Also how many days leave should I take for this event? I have read posts stating if all goes well then its about 3 days. Is this still true for people in 2005?

4) Has anyone had a similar situation and did they have any issues which they would like to share with me?

Thank you so much,

best wish!

Ai

it is a good idea to do it from home country.
if you still want to do it from canada, go for the consulate closest to you.
you may need 2-3 days for this purpose depending on the consulate you go to. you may also need canadian visitor visa.

Hi,

I was reading about your stamping experiences at Canada, I had a question about it. I came here on F1 visa and did my MS here and I got my first h1b stamping at Vancouver. Now my visa has expired and I have changed the company also. I am planning to go to Ottawa in the month of July and was wondering do they issue the visa and the passport the same day or is there any wait time. I have heard with the new visa revalidation they do finger printing, background checks etc. Is that true?
Also how is the Ottawa consulate?
Thanks

DS 156 Question. Does one need to print it out front and back on the same sheet?

Dear Friends:

Would you please advice how you all have taken the DS 156 to the consulate for revalidation....

I filled it out online and printed in on a sheet... Now the question is, should I print it out front and back on the same sheet or print each page on a separate sheet....

Thanks for your responses...

Do they ask us to show the OPT card? This is my second revaliation and I have lost my OPT card, I can quickly pull out the photo copy should they insist...

- Kiran

Does Toronto US Consulate Accept Cash/Credit for $100 and $50?

kiran00 said:
Dear Friends:

Would you please advice how you all have taken the DS 156 to the consulate for revalidation....

I filled it out online and printed in on a sheet... Now the question is, should I print it out front and back on the same sheet or print each page on a separate sheet....

Do they ask us to show the OPT card? This is my second revaliation and I have lost my OPT card, I can quickly pull out the photo copy should they insist...

- Kiran

Do you guys know if the Toronto Consulate accepts Cash for $100 and $50 or if I have to get the Scotia Bank slips for them?

- Kiran

I just came back last week from Ottawa with my stamping. Got pp back same afternoon at 3 pm. In your case there doesn't seem to be any problem provided you've been always in status. Carry all documents (though they might ask just one of it). Background check usually hurts only if you are from a muslim country. But do fill up the DS156 online asap, that way they can expedite ur appl processing. I heard in some cases if u've prob. they'll notify you know before ur travel itself.
good luck..

bobly said:
Hi,

I was reading about your stamping experiences at Canada, I had a question about it. I came here on F1 visa and did my MS here and I got my first h1b stamping at Vancouver. Now my visa has expired and I have changed the company also. I am planning to go to Ottawa in the month of July and was wondering do they issue the visa and the passport the same day or is there any wait time. I have heard with the new visa revalidation they do finger printing, background checks etc. Is that true?
Also how is the Ottawa consulate?
Thanks

DS156 has to be on one paper only front and back printed. Also use b/w laser instead of color. Make sure the bar code gets printed properly.

kiran00 said:
Dear Friends:

- Kiran

New visa stamp after layoff

I was laid off from my previous company in Dec 2003. Found another job and the new company applied for H1B in Feb 2004 (in about 6 weeks). At the time, I was asked to leave the country and get a new I-94 (H1B stamp from my previous company was valid till Jan 2005). I went to Canada and got a new I-94 without any problems.

I need to travel and want to get a new stamp (since my previous stamp expired in Jan). In such a situation, is it risky to go to Mexico or Canada for a stamp? Or does the fact that INS had approved my visa before mean that I should be fine?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Going to India for a visa stamp right now is such a pain due to the 4 month delay in getting an appointment.
Thanks in advance for all the response.

You said you were asked to levae country, by who ? ur employer ?
Where did u get ur previous h1 stamping from ? do u atleast have one stamping from ur home country ? If not do u have US degree?
OVerall, it shud be safe to get stamp in Canada, but only if they ask you for ur w2 then they might find ur income less for that year than what you were supposed to get...

theshack said:
I was laid off from my previous company in Dec 2003. Found another job and the new company applied for H1B in Feb 2004 (in about 6 weeks). At the time, I was asked to leave the country and get a new I-94 (H1B stamp from my previous company was valid till Jan 2005). I went to Canada and got a new I-94 without any problems.

I need to travel and want to get a new stamp (since my previous stamp expired in Jan). In such a situation, is it risky to go to Mexico or Canada for a stamp? Or does the fact that INS had approved my visa before mean that I should be fine?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Going to India for a visa stamp right now is such a pain due to the 4 month delay in getting an appointment.
Thanks in advance for all the response.

My employer asked me to leave the country and come back in. My previous stamp was from Bombay. I have an M.S. from the U.S.

DSLstart said:
You said you were asked to levae country, by who ? ur employer ?
Where did u get ur previous h1 stamping from ? do u atleast have one stamping from ur home country ? If not do u have US degree?
OVerall, it shud be safe to get stamp in Canada, but only if they ask you for ur w2 then they might find ur income less for that year than what you were supposed to get...

DSLstart said:
I just came back last week from Ottawa with my stamping. Got pp back same afternoon at 3 pm. In your case there doesn't seem to be any problem provided you've been always in status. Carry all documents (though they might ask just one of it). Background check usually hurts only if you are from a muslim country. But do fill up the DS156 online asap, that way they can expedite ur appl processing. I heard in some cases if u've prob. they'll notify you know before ur travel itself.
good luck..

Thanks for you response DSLstart

DSLstart,
thanks for posting your experience. I'm trying to book an appointment through NVars.com. Can I change the date after paying the CDN15 fee? Right now all they have is July 26th. I need something sooner. Can I advance the date later?
Thanks, appreciate your reply.

NVARS: Frequently Asked Questions

How long will it take my visa to be processed?

At present most Canadian consular sections are returning approved visas the same day or the following day. Once applicants’ fingerprints begin flowing through the worldwide IDENT database, there could be some longer delays on some cases where fingerprints result in matches or false matches. In that event, approved visas are unlikely to be ready the same day. In such cases, processing may take up to three business days. Applicants in Canada who wish may bring self-addressed, pre-paid express envelopes with them to the interview if that is more convenient than returning to collect the visas on a subsequent day. Applicants traveling from the U.S. must be prepared to remain outside of the U.S. for up to three business days in the event that the processing requires additional time.

In addition to the fingerprint process, certain cases may require additional administrative processing ranging from one week to one-two months depending on circumstances. Every effort is made to advise appIicants traveling from the U.S. for their interviews of this likelihood within five days of the appointment’s scheduling.

How can I obtain a copy of my confirmation letter as I could not print a copy?

When you confirmed an appointment a confirmation package was generated to be mailed to you and should arrive in five to seven business days if you are living in Canada and seven to ten business days if you are living in the United States.

How can I obtain and complete the required application forms? (DS-156, DS-157, DS-158)

We encourage all applicants to complete the DS-156 at http://evisaforms.state.gov The additional required application forms will also be included in your confirmation package that you will receive by mail. They may also be downloaded from www.amcits.com

What documents do I require to bring to my interview?

The required documents are listed on your confirmation letter. You may also review the required documents at www.amcits.com . Should you have any further questions regarding the required documents, please feel free to contact one of our Visa Information customer service representatives directly: (900) 451-2778 from within Canada - you will be charged CA$2.25 per minute (900) 443-3131 from within the U.S. - you will be charged US$1.65 per minute Note: Many office phones and all pay phones are set to block calls to 900 numbers. If the 900-telephone service is not available from your area, please contact: (888) 840-0032 from Canada and the U.S. You will be asked to provide your credit card number.

What fees do I pay?

For all non-immigrant visas there is a $100.00 (non-refundable) visa application fee. If applying in Canada the fee is payable in U.S. cash directly at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy except if applying in Toronto. If applying at the U.S. Consulate in Toronto the fee is paid at any Scotiabank in Ontario prior to the interview, using a Scotiabank deposit slip. A Scotiabank deposit slip will be included in your confirmation package or may be downloaded from www.amcits.com If applying at a U.S. Consulate in Mexico the fee is paid prior to the interview at a branch of the Banco Banamex in Mexico in pesos.

Applicants may also be subject to a reciprocity fee, which is paid at the Consulate or Embassy only if the visa is issued.

For Scotiabank or Banco Banamex locations and to determine if you are subject to a reciprocity fee please feel free to contact one of our Visa Information customer service representatives directly: (900) 451-2778 from within Canada - you will be charged CA$2.25 per minute (900) 443-3131 from within the U.S. - you will be charged US$1.65 per minute Note: Many office phones and all pay phones are set to block calls to 900 numbers. If the 900-telephone service is not available from your area, please contact: (888) 840-0032 from Canada and the U.S. You will be asked to provide your credit card number.

Is it possible to schedule an earlier appointment?

We regret that we are unable to provide earlier appointments than what is currently available on the reservation calendar. Cancellations made within the booking window are made available on the calendar, however in order to reschedule an appointment you must first cancel your existing appointment and you may risk losing the appointment you have. Also, you will be charged CA$15.00 for each new appointment confirmed.

What will happen if my visa is denied?

In the event that applicants residing in the U.S. applies for their visas in Canada or Mexico and are denied, they should be prepared to leave Canada or Mexico without a U.S. visa. They should return to their country of permanent residence and apply for the visa in that country. Landed Immigrants, Temporary Workers and Students in Canada may reapply at the same U.S. Consulate the visa denial occurred when they are in possession of compelling evidence to overcome the first denial. However, a new application without additional material or any new circumstances is likely to result in another finding of ineligibility.

How do I cancel my appointment?

You may choose to cancel your appointment at www.nvars.com or by calling our toll-free cancellation number at (888) 611 6676. We request that when possible you cancel your appointment within 48 hours of the scheduled date.

Will I be refunded if I choose to cancel my appointment?

We regret that a refund will not be provided. Our online booking service is designed to charge CA$15.00 for each new appointment confirmed.

Are my dependants required to attend my appointment with me?

If your dependants are intending to apply for a U.S. visa than they should accompany you to the interview. Generally, if your children are 13 years of age or younger they need not accompany you to the interview, but they must be physically present in the consular district in order to be processed.

I already have an appointment confirmed. How can I add my dependant’s information to my file?

If you are required to add dependant information to your file or update other information on your file, please feel free to contact one of our Visa Information customer service representatives directly: (900) 451-2778 from within Canada - you will be charged CA$2.25 per minute (900) 443-3131 from within the U.S. - you will be charged US$1.65 per minute Note: Many office phones and all pay phones are set to block calls to 900 numbers. If the 900-telephone service is not available from your area, please contact: (888) 840-0032 from Canada and the U.S. You will be asked to provide your credit card number.

What is the address of the Consulate/Embassy?

The address of the Consulate will appear on your confirmation letter. You may also review U.S. Consulates or Embassy addresses at www.usembassycanada.gov or www.travel.state.gov

Do I require a visa to enter in to Canada or Mexico?

To determine if you require a visa to enter Canada please get in touch with a Canadian Consulate or Canadian Immigration. For Canadian Consulate locations in the U.S. please feel free to contact one of our Visa Information customer service representatives directly: (900) 451-2778 from within Canada - you will be charged CA$2.25 per minute (900) 443-3131 from within the U.S. - you will be charged US$1.65 per minute Note: Many office phones and all pay phones are set to block calls to 900 numbers. If the 900-telephone service is not available from your area, please contact: (888) 840-0032 from Canada and the U.S. You will be asked to provide your credit card number.

To determine if you require a visa to enter Mexico please fax your inquiry to (202) 293 1710.

You may do that if the date is available. But first it'll ask you to cancel your current appt. and with no refund of fees. Then again you will be taking a risk of losing date you have currently if you don't find and earlier one.
So, rather than cancelling your current appointment you may try seeing what date is available in calendar using your friend's pp and then cancel your appt.

thanks,

emailraja said:
DSLstart,
thanks for posting your experience. I'm trying to book an appointment through NVars.com. Can I change the date after paying the CDN15 fee? Right now all they have is July 26th. I need something sooner. Can I advance the date later?
Thanks, appreciate your reply.

Successfully completed visa stamping at Vancouver

I had an appointment for my visa restamping at Vancouver US Consulate on 6th June.
I came to US in Apr 2002. First stamping done at Chennain in Feb 2002.
I have Masters degree from India. My visa expired in Jan 2005. Before that my employer applied for my extension in Nov 2004.(So legally I am not out of status). I got my approval documents in Mar 2005. I flew from Milwaukee to Vancouver. At Vancouver airport, immigration officer check my visa and asked about the purpose of the visit. Nothing else is questioned.
I went to US Consulate at 950am (I have an appointment at 1000am).
1st there is a security check before entering into the consulate(routine like what you see at airport).
Once I wnet to the 2nd floor, the clerk asked me to pay 100$ fee and asked me include my I797, DS156, DS157 and employement letter in the passport. She gave a token number and asked me to wait in the waiting area. There are around 7 other members waiting in the lobby. After 10 min my number blinked on the display board. (They called 5 members as a batch).
I went to the 20th floor where the actually officer looks into the documents.
There are around 20 members already waiting before the counters. I sat right across the interviewing officer. He is calling each applicant in the order of tokens given. My number is called at counter 1. Where the clerk scanned my both index fingers. The after couple of minutes, my number is called by interviewing clerk at window 4. He asked 3 questions.
1)What is ur education qualifications
2)Who is ur employer and details
3)How long have you been working with that company.

He asked me to pay $50 (as NIV fee for Indians) at counter 7 and then asked me to go to counter 1. I paid the amound and took the receipt to counter 1.
Counter 1 clerk gave my DS 156 application back and asked me to sign on that(I forgot to sign on it when I downloaded the online filled form). I signed it and gave it back. He gave a token and asked me to come at 300pm to collect the passport.
I went at 300pm there was a queue with around 25 members. I waited there for almost 15 min. Then went upstairs to collect my Passport and the Visa is stamped in it. I did some sight seeing and roamed around downtown and flew back to Milwaukee.
I took all my educational certificates, Paystubs, w2s, bank statements, old h1b documents and previous employement letters. But nothing is asked. Even they didn't ask my I129 and LCA docs.
This is my personal experience and not a legal advice.

Hi blewstream,
Congrats on getting successfull stamping in Canada.

I have a 4 yr engg degree(mechanical) from India.
I have been in the US for the past 3 years.
Before that prev trip i was in US for 2 yrs. I already have one expired
H1 stamping and L1 stamping. I have been in status all the time.
I can show paystub, w2 to prove that. I switched from L1 to H1.
Appt for H1 stamping in Chennai is 4 months. I am planning to get the stamping in Canada.
Do I have good chances of success in Canada? Is Ottawa one of the better to go for stamping?
I would really appreciate your reply and thoughts.
Thank you very much for your time.

Regards.

Need information for Stamping in Canada

Hi All,

I need help and advice.Here is my situation.

1. Currently Working for Company B, Visa stamp was with company A.
Visa Stamp was expiring on Aug 14 2005.

2. Company B Visa is approved until Jul 2007 (But not stamped with company B)

Iam going India for 3 weeks in August and Iam returning on 24 th August (after Visa stamping expiration date)

My friend suggested me to get it stamped in Canada (probably ottawa). Iam continously working for 3 years eventhough I joined the current employer in Aug 2004.

3.How many days before Stamping on Visa expires, I can get the new stamping. I mean, i want to know where there is any timelimit as such.

4. Please suggest me, how many days of leave I require to take at the client place.(for getting stamping in Canada)
Thanks in Advance.
-Amar

For point 3: I was in the same situation like you. My visa was expiring mid aug 05 and I went to ottawa in first week of june and got it stamped. That doesn't matter.
4. Atleast 3 days leave is needed. If u r planning to go to Ottawa, u shud act fast and get appt scheduled. If ur paper work is fine, never out of status and not from muslim country then you should get ur visa stamped smoothly...

amarm999 said:
Hi All,

I need help and advice.Here is my situation.

1. Currently Working for Company B, Visa stamp was with company A.
Visa Stamp was expiring on Aug 14 2005.

2. Company B Visa is approved until Jul 2007 (But not stamped with company B)

Iam going India for 3 weeks in August and Iam returning on 24 th August (after Visa stamping expiration date)

My friend suggested me to get it stamped in Canada (probably ottawa). Iam continously working for 3 years eventhough I joined the current employer in Aug 2004.

3.How many days before Stamping on Visa expires, I can get the new stamping. I mean, i want to know where there is any timelimit as such.

4. Please suggest me, how many days of leave I require to take at the client place.(for getting stamping in Canada)
Thanks in Advance.
-Amar

URGENT. Please help.

DSLstart,

Many thanks for the reply.

Iam not able to get the appointment for canada in July. Iam able to get appointment in Matamoros for july, but when I check for flight fare from DC its too expensive. (850 dollars). So iam thinking of again changing the location. I already paid 15 dollar and booked appointment for Matamoros ,if i need to check for appointment with other Canada consulates, the only way for me to do is to first cancel the appointment. Is there anyway, i can book the appointment by calling them or is there any other means to change the appointment place with out the hurdle. Please let me know.

Also, I wanted to know which canadian consulate is the nearest to DC (where appointment will be available in july)

Thanks
Amar

amarm999 said:
DSLstart,

Many thanks for the reply.

Iam not able to get the appointment for canada in July. Iam able to get appointment in Matamoros for july, but when I check for flight fare from DC its too expensive. (850 dollars). So iam thinking of again changing the location. I already paid 15 dollar and booked appointment for Matamoros ,if i need to check for appointment with other Canada consulates, the only way for me to do is to first cancel the appointment. Is there anyway, i can book the appointment by calling them or is there any other means to change the appointment place with out the hurdle. Please let me know.

Also, I wanted to know which canadian consulate is the nearest to DC (where appointment will be available in july)

Thanks
Amar

For every appt you make you'll have to pay $15 fees. You can make the appointment by phone too. I guess Calgary is the only consulate where you can make nearest available appointments. Not sure how much the airfare would cost from DC. In case you decide to go to Ottawa / Toronto you may even think of driving from DC / Niagra.
Good luck.