H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Any recent f/back on Tijuana Consulate?

Hi folks,

I am based in Los Angeles. My first 3-yr H1 is valid till June 24'05 and it has already been extended for the next 3 years (I have Notice of Approval etc)
with the same employer.

I am planning on travelling to India in July '05. Needless to say, US Consulate dates in India are available somewhere in second week of Sept. and since I am driving distance from Tijuna, I intend on going there for stamping.

Any recent "experiences" at the Tijuana consulate ?

Successful Stamping Exp. in Toronto

Got successful H1B stamping in Toronto.

I was worried about two issues

1) As per the appointment letter, Passport expiration should be more than 6 months than the intended stay in US. I have approval up to march 2006 and my passport expires end of july. No questions asked about that in the consulate. I got visa stamping upto march 2006.

2) On my wife's H4 approval, her first name came as last name and her last name came us first name. Again no question asked, may be because she is just a dependent. officer's didn't care about her approval notice.

Thank god everything went fine.

Hi sunven,
Thanks for ur update. Can you please mention
1. what was you visa interview date
2. who took interview (visa officer or junior level staff)
3. did the interviewer decided for visa grant right during the interview or afterwards
4. when did you actually get the passport with visa stamp.
I would really appreciate your response.

Appointment in Canada - what are the rules of this game?

Hi, everyone!
I am currently on F1 OPT and it looks like my change of status would go through by July 1st. I have to go to Vancouver mid July for a conference and considered this to be a good chance to get a visa stamp in the passport.

I went to nvars website and found out that there are no appointments available in Vancouver for the time frame I need to be in Canada.

SO here comes my first question: is there a chance that availability will appear some time later? Is there any chance to of a waiting list or something similar.

A bit disappointed - I checked the other consulates in Canada and found it to be WAY TOO MESSY. For instance in Calgary the appointment availability only listed for a month ahead (as compared to two months in Vancouver). All the bookable days are full now. I was desperately searching the site on the following information and I could not found any. May be someone knows and can answer my questions...

When (date/time) are the new dates added to appointment booking for each of the Canadian consulates? What days of the weeks are bookable in different Canadian consulates? If booking over the phone is it possible to book to any future date or available date are the same as on the web?

Department of State list a typical wait times for a interview in various consulates on its website http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wait/tempvisitors_wait.php

Here is info on Montreal, for instance
Visitors Visas: 9 Days
Student/Exchange Visitors Visas: 9 Days
All Other Nonimmigrant Visas: 9 Days

This information is not correlated at all with nvars site. No appointments for Montreal whatsoever. Is there any other way to get an appointment to the consulate?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Oleg.

Sunshine76,

1) I had visa appointment on May 17th.
2) Visa officer took interview
3) After interview i was told that everything is fine. He told me to collect passport next day.
4) Next day (18th) i got my passport with visa stamped.

OlegBerkley - based on what I have seen on nvars.com, the availibility keeps changing and they usually show appointment for next one month. So I am not surprised you are not seeing anything for July - as they have not been uploaded/updated yet. When I was looking for May appointment in March there were none available - but when I checked some time in mid-April there were plenty!

Another info is, it appears when the paid phone lines open for booking they block some appointment for phone reps to allocate, so they disappear from nvars.com. So try around 5PM - 8 PM Pacific and you may see some new openings.

Don't worry - the consulates in Canada are not crowded at all and bookings can be made on what days you want to go. Just be patient and keep checking using the Passport Number/Reference number you get.

Good luck.

Hi suhasini7,
Thanks for your useful postings.
Do you know which consulate in CANADA is easier for H1 stamping (less strict)?
Would really appreciate your inputs.
Thank you.

regards,

Nothing is "safe"

I am not one to believe "Canada is safe", "Mexico is safe".

In the back of your mind be ready for the eventuality that if visa is denied you will have to fly back to India (or your home country) from Canada itself even if you have a unexpired I-94. Because if the officer denies your visa in all probability they will also cancel your existing visa! . Tickets at last minute cost fortune, so be ready for that scenario. Also let your manager/HR know the risk associated with your trip to Canada. If you are in the midst of a critical project etc, then avoid the trip during that timeframe.

I am not saying Google all desi travel agents in Canada yet, but just be prepared for it.

Also in one of the worst case scenario I personally know about Canada trip. This chap from Bombay received his visa but he was denied entry at the US Immigration in Canadian airport - reason given was they found his moves suspicious. And all that this chap did was after his interview was take some photos of downtown area and buildings near US Consulate. And they somehow traced him. Chap had to ultimately return to Bombay from Canada and then come back to US.

All in all as long as your basics are straight forward - i.e.you have always been in status, have recent paychecks to prove you are not working as a slave - you should be alright.

Take care

successful stamping in MONTREAL

HI ALL
I GOT VISA STAMPED IN MONTREAL YESTERDAY.
Entry into canada :
while entering montreal -canada border , the immigration officials
saw my visa appointment and asked me wat will i do if my visa gets rejected,
I said i will fly back to india they had me wait for 15 min saw my bank statements and let me in to canada.

montral consulate : appointment was at 8:30 am
we reached there at 7:30 am there were lot of people so we finished paying
100$ at counter around 9:15 am .
waited till 10 am to be called by officer (window17)
they looked at all documents and asked to wait again .
which is normal procedure there in montreal
then we got called in for window 19
officer said " why cant any u.s citizen do the same software project that u r doing" so be prepared for this question

then got my visa at 3pm and the rest went fine at u.s border.

Good luck to evryone for visa stamping.

Successful stamping at Ottawa

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone in this forum who provided useful information that helped me a lot.
I got my H1B stamped successfully at the Ottawa Consulate on Tuesday May 31st at 9.30 am. The entire procedure was pretty smooth. I was accompanying 3 other friends working in the same company as I do who got theirs stamped as well. We arrived at the embassy at 8.30 am thinking that if it’s on a first come first serve basis, then we could get in earlier. However, we were asked by the Mexican security guard to come back after 15 minutes. After spending sometime at a nearby Café, we went back. The guard had changes. This guy was extremely nice and cracked some jokes with us. He checked our appointment letters (keep them handy as soon as you get in the line) and sent us in, two at a time. Thereafter, we had to go through security check (same one like at the airports) and asked to get in the main room.
We then paid US $100 as Visa application fees at the cashier’s counter (no.7) where we had to submit our passport, DS-156, 157 and I-797 and were asked to wait for our turn.
There were 3 interview counters and the 4th one for carrying out name check and background check procedure. My name was called on no.3. The guy looked a bit like Adolph Hitler, but was much nicer. Interview details are as follows:

Me: Morning sir, how are you doing today?

Visa officer: Good. How many people from your company are here today? (He asked this because one of my friends had gone to the same counter before me).

Me: We are 4 of us sir. (If there is anyone with you and he knows that, don’t lie.)

Visa Officer: (Smiles). Ok. So when did you graduate here?

Me: Told him the exact graduation date.

Visa Officer: What did you do after that?

Me: Looked around for jobs. Started working from Oct, first in OPT and then on H1 from Jan.

Visa Officer: Can I see your I-129?

Me: Sure. Slided it in.

Visa Officer: Can I also see some proof of your current employment.

Me: (Slided in the offer letter). Would you also like to see my paystubs?

Visa Officer: That will help.

Me: (Slided in 3 of my recent paystubs.) He seemed to be contended with that.

Visa Officer: Ok, so what project are you currently working on at the client location?

Me: Blah Blah. Explained in brief. Technical enough to show that I knew what I was doing, but not too much to confuse him.

Visa Officer: (I was happy to watch him grab the pink slip.) Alright, please pay 50 dollars issuance fees at no.7 as all Indians have to do that as per the US policy blah blah..and come back to me with the receipt.

Did the needful, picked up the slip and came back at 3 pm to take my passport. My F1 was “Cancelled without prejudice”.

So, guys, that’s the story.

Documents taken:
I-797+I-94, DS-156, 157.
I-129, LCA
Appointment letter
Passport.
2 photographs
Cash (100+50)
Offer letter, letter addressed to the Consulate
Recent paystubs (I took 6, but showed him 3).
W2s.
2 Bank statements.
I20s
Degree Certificates and transcripts.
Recommendation letters from previous employment (internship).
OPT card
Company printouts (take photographs of possible).
Company financial information. (Quartetly statements, payroll information, unemployment insurance papers, etc.)
Updated Resume’

We had driven to Ottawa from Detroit. It takes about 9 hours depending on how fast you drive. While entering Canada, there were no questions asked, however, while entering US today, they asked us to get out of the car, asked a few questions such as “Where are you coming from, what are you carrying, where are you going” and stuff. Our new I-94s were attached to our passports. (the same one that comes with the I-797)

Ottawa is a beautiful place. If time permits, do visit the parliament, especially the Peace tower. We were living at a cheap hotel called Prestige inn. The guy charged us 80 bucks for one night (with an extra bed since we were 4 of us).

Congrats ragster1 and amit_d78.

ragster1 - did you do your Masters in US and switched over to H1B?
pls clarify. thank you.

H1 stamping question

Hello everyone, I have a question and will be rally apreciated for an adivce.
Just received my I-797, my OPT untill Oct 25, H1 start Oct20, I'm planning to go home for Christmas and wondering when it will be better and where to go to get my H1 stamped (Canada or Mexico) my passport valid till July 2006. I'm thinking about going either to Mexico or Canada sometimes at the end of Oct. I do have bachelor degree from US University...

Never done this before, will be apreciated for any advices.

rvp123 said:
Congrats ragster1 and amit_d78.

ragster1 - did you do your Masters in US and switched over to H1B?
pls clarify. thank you.
hi rvp123
i did my masters from u.s and this stamping was a second renewal of H1B

AjP said:
Just received my I-797, my OPT untill Oct 25, H1 start Oct20, I'm planning to go home for Christmas and wondering when it will be better and where to go to get my H1 stamped (Canada or Mexico) my passport valid till July 2006. I'm thinking about going either to Mexico or Canada sometimes at the end of Oct. I do have bachelor degree from US University...

prefer to do it in your home country; should not be a problem getting appointment if you start looking for it right now.
also consider extending your passport before going for h1 stamping.
with your passport expiring in july'06, what are the dates on your 797?

Stamping Done !

Hello Friends,
I got my H1 successfully stamped at Ottawa on June 1st. Everything went
pretty smooth. Ofcourse I was nervous like most of H1B aspirants during the
whole time.
I flew from DC to Ottawa. At DC airport, Airline didn't take my I-94 as I
was returning in couple of days. (To enter Canada you do need a temperory
resident visa).
Ottawa airport is a tiny airport compared to airports in the US. I had to
see 2 immigration officers on airport before getting cleared. All they
checked was 797 and consulate appointment letter.
I stayed at hotel Quality Inn, (resonable rates if you book from hotels.com)
and its just 4 blocks away from US consulate. I had my appointment at 8:30
am. Reached consulate around 7:50 am. The guard after checking the
appointment letter let me in and went thru metal detector.
Later I was asked to stand in a queue at cashier counter where I had to
submitt I-156, I-157, I-797 and $100 application fee. Later was asked to
wait to be called for interview .
There were around 25/30 people waiting in the hall that time. Few desi
H1Bs, some Canadian PR desis and other nationals. For some people interview
was taking a while. I had to wait for about 40 minutes. When my name was
called I went to interview counter. This visa officer was a serious looking
gentleman. But fortunately my interview went pretty smooth:
While looking at my passport and application form he said:
Visa Officer:Hmm, well tell me about this xxxxxxxx (my employer company)
I : My co. is in so and so... blah blah... I'm woking there since 200x....

Visa Officer: Show me your employer's letter to consulate..
I handed him over the letter. He had a look at it and then grabed the pink
slip and asked me to go to cashier and pay $50 and come back with receipt.
Thats it...
When I came back he had already started interviewing a Pakistani applicant.
So I had to wait to hand him over the receipt. The other guy's interview
took almost 15 minutes. When he was done I gave visa officer the receipt, he
looked at it and gave me a coupon and asked me to pickup pp at 3:00 pm. I
thanked him and came back. Later picked up pp at 3:00 pm . There was queue of about 60/70 people to pick up pp.
My background : 3rd stamping, 1st in India, 2nd State dept. No US degree, 4
years work exp in US. If you are planning to go far stamping to Canada,
should definetely think of Ottawa.
Btw this Rideau St where hotel Quality Inn is really worth taking a stroll. Lots of (weired) things you get to see which I guess we won't see in US .. ;-)
While coming back US immgration check is done at Canadian airport itself by
USICS and they grill a bit before admiting...
If you have any question feel free to post here / PM me..
Again, I thank this forum for providing me lots of tips and info...

Thanks,
D S

I would say if you've Bachelors from US, your paper work is straight, you are always in status and if you are not from any Muslim country you should have no problem getting stamped from Canada..

=====================
This is not a legal advice..

AjP said:

Stamping Old Company

Hi All,

I booked a date in Ottawa office for VISA stamping. But I took a new position and will be joining exactly one day after VISA stamping. Now I am in dilemma... whether to attend for VISA stamping or wait for some time and go on new H1B? Please advise..... is it ok to have VISA stamping from old company or is it required to have current employers name on VISA Stamp?

Thanks

hi unique,

its okay to have old employers name on the stamp. that's not a problem.

btw, do you have MS degree from US?
all the best.

regards,

H1B Questions from An Australian :)

Hi Everyone!

I'm so glad my friend directed me here.

I'm an Australian Citizen (PhD from Australia) on a H1B visa since 2002. After a year of work in Texas I changed institutes to Baltimore and was able to successfully apply for a new visa which was stamped back in Australia. That visa has now just expired ie June 1st 2005 and since 2003 I have again switched jobs because my boss moved labs to Chicago. I have a new Notification with this new institute which states my H1B will now expire in 2007. I am thinking I need to apply for the visa stamp (the current notification) and I want to go to Canada for this.

1) Can you tell me how many days it takes to get the above done?

2) I know i need to make an appointment first and I am trying to figure out which Canadian US consular I should go to.

3) Also how many days leave should I take for this event? I have read posts stating if all goes well then its about 3 days. Is this still true for people in 2005?

4) Has anyone had a similar situation and did they have any issues which they would like to share with me?

Thank you so much,

best wish!

Ai