Green Card Holder returned from India with new born child

ramkumar786

Green Card Holder returned from India with new born child. Mother returning after 7 months. Father returning after 1 month.

Arrived safely with child through Houston POE

Only docs you need are basically:
1. Birth certifcate
2. Baby Passport
3. Letter from consulate in India
4. 3 baby passport size photographs

Prior to Journey:
Things we did:
1) We did get a letter from Chennai consulate through email stating that the LPR can travel to USA with a child on her first visit. This letter was very important as the airline staff did not have a clue nor did the immigration officer in the Hyderabad airport for travel with baby without USA visa
2) Original Birth Certificate issued by Municipality or Govt Office - Form 5 - Dept of Health in AP
3) Passport issued in India (Took 20 days in Tatkal..whole process!! Hyderabad is longer other cities much faster) Info available online....need to take appointment online
4) All original baby and mother medical records, ultrasound copies etc (Not required as no one asked for them but good to have)
5) If wife in India more than 6 months...USA records like Tax Returns, letter from wife employer, property tax papers showing taxes paid on home ((None asked but good to have)
6) 3 or 4 passport size photos of child (VERY IMPORTANT)
7) General photos showing pregnancy and birth and family pictures (None asked but good to have)
8) Passports and Green Cards

At Dubai change of planes:
Before Departing for USA...the immigration officer asked following questions.
1) You traveled in your 7th month pregnancy to India...why?
2) Why did u stay 6 months in India?

Showed letter from Chennai consulate and other docs ...so it was fine.

At POE in Houston:

1) Very courteous immigration officials. Although my wife stayed for more than 6 months in India, no docs asked.
2) Stamping for both of us was done at the counter and child along with mother taken for secondary processing in a separate room. I was not allowed to be with them.I went ahead and picked up my baggage and came back to secondary processing area.
3) Secondary processing Immigration officer asked a few questions on why delivery in India and why so long in India?
4) Takes about 45 minutes and he fills up some forms on the computer and then took photos of baby and stamps baby passport with the I-551 stamp for 1 year...green card
5) He said green card for baby will arrive in mail within 3 to 4 months and confirmed mailing address.

Very smooth and very easy....!!

Thanks to all in the forum and for all information and the database of queries was very useful.

Green Card Holder returned from India with new born child. Mother returning after 7 months. Father returning after 1 month.

Arrived safely with child through Houston POE

Only docs you need are basically:
1. Birth certifcate
2. Baby Passport
3. Letter from consulate in India
4. 3 baby passport size photographs

Prior to Journey:
Things we did:
1) We did get a letter from Chennai consulate through email stating that the LPR can travel to USA with a child on her first visit. This letter was very important as the airline staff did not have a clue nor did the immigration officer in the Hyderabad airport for travel with baby without USA visa
2) Original Birth Certificate issued by Municipality or Govt Office - Form 5 - Dept of Health in AP
3) Passport issued in India (Took 20 days in Tatkal..whole process!! Hyderabad is longer other cities much faster) Info available online....need to take appointment online
4) All original baby and mother medical records, ultrasound copies etc (Not required as no one asked for them but good to have)
5) If wife in India more than 6 months...USA records like Tax Returns, letter from wife employer, property tax papers showing taxes paid on home ((None asked but good to have)
6) 3 or 4 passport size photos of child (VERY IMPORTANT)
7) General photos showing pregnancy and birth and family pictures (None asked but good to have)
8) Passports and Green Cards

At Dubai change of planes:
Before Departing for USA...the immigration officer asked following questions.
1) You traveled in your 7th month pregnancy to India...why?
2) Why did u stay 6 months in India?

Showed letter from Chennai consulate and other docs ...so it was fine.

At POE in Houston:

1) Very courteous immigration officials. Although my wife stayed for more than 6 months in India, no docs asked.
2) Stamping for both of us was done at the counter and child along with mother taken for secondary processing in a separate room. I was not allowed to be with them.I went ahead and picked up my baggage and came back to secondary processing area.
3) Secondary processing Immigration officer asked a few questions on why delivery in India and why so long in India?
4) Takes about 45 minutes and he fills up some forms on the computer and then took photos of baby and stamps baby passport with the I-551 stamp for 1 year...green card
5) He said green card for baby will arrive in mail within 3 to 4 months and confirmed mailing address.

Very smooth and very easy....!!

Thanks to all in the forum and for all information and the database of queries was very useful.

Do you know if the Father who is an LPR can do the same? I.e bring the newly born child with him or is it only the lpr mother who can bring the baby back?

Do you know if the Father who is an LPR can do the same? I.e bring the newly born child with him or is it only the lpr mother who can bring the baby back?

The father can bring the child back too, provided it is his first entrance to the US since the child was born. It doesn't matter who brings the child, so long as the first entrance criteiron is met.

Thanks for the information. Can you advise how to get the letter from consulate through email stating that the LPR can travel to USA with a child on her first visit. Does one need to take an appointment with consulate or there is some other procedure.

Letter from consulate

Hello Vais,

We just emailed the Chennai consulate which is the best consulate in India alongwith your particulars like father and mother's name, passport number and address and also baby name, date of birth, place of birth and they will email you a letter on their letterhead.

I sent email to Hyderabad and Mumbai consulates but did not get an acknowledgement even.

Received baby physical green card

We received baby's physical green card in the mail within 3 weeks of our entry into the USA.

This is super fast....!!

Thank you UCSIS

Hello Vais,

We just emailed the Chennai consulate which is the best consulate in India alongwith your particulars like father and mother's name, passport number and address and also baby name, date of birth, place of birth and they will email you a letter on their letterhead.

I sent email to Hyderabad and Mumbai consulates but did not get an acknowledgement even.

you can print the info from below links
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87519.pdf
Mumbai Consulate Link
http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/legal_permanent_residents.html

My wife was in a similar situation a couple of years ago. We were travelling to India on GC (for some family emergency) and my wife who was carrying could not travel back (the Dr. did not permit flying). After the delivery she was ready to fly with the kid and this Jet Airline staff in Mumbia gave her tough time.
They did not let he board the flight for two days. First time she tried to board, the Airline staff (did not honor the print out from USCIS website). They called the officer on duty in US Consulate in Mumbai. She(officer at consulate-night shift) wasn't aware of this rule and she said the child needs a valid visa. My wife went to the consulate the next morning and spoke with the officer. It was a different officer in the day shift and he printed the same stuff that my wife already had and said it was okay. My wife tried to board the second time and this time again the same thing happened, she was very much distressed. She again went to the consulate, this time the officer at the consulate was himself mad at the airline staff for not letting her board. When my wife mentioned that they were calling some officer at night shift who was not aware of this rule, the officer then printed a personal letter for my wife on consulate letter head and embossed stamp. He spoke with the officer (from night shift) and got an apology letter from her.
SHe was able to board the third-night.
It was a terrible experience, my wife now does not ever want to travel by herself.

Hello Ramkumar,

I am a green card holder and would like to bring my child from India using the process that I have mentioned. Please let me know if I can ask you a few questions about this process.

Thanks

For how long the green card was valid

Ram,
Congratulations, Please let me know how long the GC issued for the child was valid.

Thanks
Hari

We received baby's physical green card in the mail within 3 weeks of our entry into the USA.

This is super fast....!!

Thank you UCSIS

This thread is 18 months old and ramkumar hasn't posted anything more on the forum. You're probably not going to get a response.

child born abroad to LPR

I have LPR and our daughter is born in india.In order to take her to USA along with us and clear the indian customs
what is the procedure to get the boarding foil or transportation letter.whom should we contact regarding this.
pls do suggest us.

Are you both the biological parents of the child? If so, just follow the steps outlined at top of this thread. All the best!

I have LPR and our daughter is born in india.In order to take her to USA along with us and clear the indian customs
what is the procedure to get the boarding foil or transportation letter.whom should we contact regarding this.
pls do suggest us.

Hello Ram Kumar,

We are in the same situation as you guys and would be great if you can help post the details on how you received letter from Chennai Consulate that you used for travel.
We have emailed them but not received any response. Also, if you don't mind could you send us a copy of the letter you received from them to get an idea of what is needed. My email is divnshah@yahoo.com.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I have green card. We have brought our 2 months old baby from India on December 22nd, 2016. At POE Abhudhabi, the immigration officer asked for a passport size photo of my baby, but since we didnt have one, she took a photo in her mobile and also retained the original birth certificate. She told they may initiate the process. We are now seeing that for getting green card for baby, form I-130 need to be filled. But they didnt fill any forms. We took an infopass appointment for next week to check the status.
Can anyone please let us know what is the process- do we need to file I-130 before going to the USCIS office?
Will we be getting back the original birth certificate?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I have green card. We have brought our 2 months old baby from India on December 22nd, 2016. At POE Abhudhabi, the immigration officer asked for a passport size photo of my baby, but since we didnt have one, she took a photo in her mobile and also retained the original birth certificate. She told they may initiate the process. We are now seeing that for getting green card for baby, form I-130 need to be filled. But they didnt fill any forms. We took an infopass appointment for next week to check the status.
Can anyone please let us know what is the process- do we need to file I-130 before going to the USCIS office?
Will we be getting back the original birth certificate?

Thanks in advance for any help.
No. You don't need to petition your baby. You baby is already a US permanent resident. When your wife, who is a permanent resident, had the baby during a temporary trip abroad, brought the baby with her to the US, while the baby was under age 2, and on you or your wife's first return to the US after the baby was born, the baby was admitted as a permanent resident without needing an immigrant visa. There should be an I-551 stamp on the baby's passport as evidence of permanent residency. A plastic green card for the baby should eventually arrive.

You should be able to get additional copies of the birth certificate from the authorities of the place of birth.