Green Card Holder applying for Wife. Please help!!

AK1975

Registered Users (C)
I am a Legal Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder). My wife resides in my native country. Recently I heard that the priority date for F2A (Spouse for Green Card Holder's) applicants have moved up. I will apply for my citizenship on April 2011 (5 year fulfillment is on July). Now considering the above situation and the quickest possible way to bring my wife, here is my question.

1. Will it be quicker if I start with the I130 now on F2A category instead of waiting to become citizen and then apply?

2. If answer to the first question is YES then PLEASE provide me the step by step process I need to follow in as much detail as possible. (I have been browsing from website to website and is confused).

Please Help and save me! Thanks.

AK1975.

Last edited by a moderator:
F2A is advanced a lotttt. It has a PD of Aug 1, 2010, meaning by the time the I-130 is approved it may already be current. So nowadays USC or a GC holder filing for a spouse has pretty much no wait, so most definitely file for her right away and she will be mostly likely be here for your oath.

Thank you 'namecheckvictim'. Can anyone please provide detail answer to my 2nd and most important question. Thank you!!

Based on what I've read, you're far better off filing for I-130 as the change in priority date is caused by the low number of applicants ( like people filing for H-1 visas ). By the end of 2011, it might go back to where the situation once stood....

Immediately file the I-130 with USCIS through the Chicago lockbox indicating consular processing. Once USCIS approves it they send it to NVC, when it becomes current and reaches the front of the line, NVC will contact you for the I-864, Affidavit of Support and they will send her file to the consulate and contact will be made with her for applying for the immigrant visa (DS-230) and medical. The State Department is in the process of switching many processes over to online applications. Not all consulates are online yet, so, exactly how it will happen probably can't be foretold.

If you naturalize prior to the F2A priority date becoming current, then you notify NVC and request an upgrade. Instructions are on their website.

Complete instructions and forms are on the USCIS website. If you are ubnable to understand the process, get assistance from an attorney or immigrant assistance group.

Thank you all for your responses. I have one last question though regarding the I130 document. For documents need to prove my relationship with my wife can you guys give me any example as to what other relevant documents I can submit to prove my marital union? Please note that common residence, joint bank accounts or property ownership, birth certificate of children is not available. Please help. Thank you.

Thank you all for your responses. I have one last question though regarding the I130 document. For documents need to prove my relationship with my wife can you guys give me any example as to what other relevant documents I can submit to prove my marital union? Please note that common residence, joint bank accounts or property ownership, birth certificate of children is not available. Please help. Thank you.

How long have you been married? Have you traveled back to visit (passport stamps)? Do you talk on the phone (phone bills)? Do you e-mail? Have you met in a 3rd country for vacations? Did you know each other BEFORE immigrating? Met in school? Got a wedding album of video? Think about it.

As per the Dec Bulletin, I thought the F2A has advanced as it has a PD of Aug 1, 2010 but seeing the Jan 2011 Bulletin it seems it has gone back to 2008. Any idea why? Does that mean if I file I-130 now (Dec 2010) for my spouse it will fall behind the advancement that earlier took place?

So does that mean if I submit I-130 for my wife on F2A category on Dec it can avoid the retrogression?

So does that mean if I submit I-130 for my wife on F2A category on Dec it can avoid the retrogression?

Nope.

It might be simpler to wait until you become a citizen. It's unlikely that an FB2A priority date of December 2010 would be current before that happens.

1. Apart from the Personal Bank Check in what other way can I submit the I130 Application Fee ($420.00)?
2. Will a Money Order from Western Union work?

Also if I decide on filing the I-130 (Spouse for GC on F2) now along with the relevant documents and once I get my citizenship (hopefully on July/Aug/Sep) later update the status (to IR) of my application, will it further lengthen the process? Please help.

Please Help

Also if I decide on filing the I-130 (Spouse for GC on F2) now along with the relevant documents and once I get my citizenship (hopefully on July/Aug/Sep) later update the status (to IR) of my application,
1. Will it further lengthen the process?
2. What does everyone mean by the term 'simpler' when filing after citizenship rather than filing on GC? Please explain. Thank you.

Also if I decide on filing the I-130 (Spouse for GC on F2) now along with the relevant documents and once I get my citizenship (hopefully on July/Aug/Sep) later update the status (to IR) of my application,
1. Will it further lengthen the process?
2. What does everyone mean by the term 'simpler' when filing after citizenship rather than filing on GC? Please explain. Thank you.

Your wife is outside the U.S., right? If you file now, the I-130 will be approved by the time ou naturalize. In that case you just upgrade the petition by notifying NVC of your naturalization (copy of certificate) to move the processing to the front of the line (or closer to it).

If you wait to file the I-130 after you naturalize, you will have to wait for USCIS to adjudicate the I-130 before it will go to NVC and then the Consulate.

Get the USCIS part over with now rather than later. You can even include information about your impending N-400 process and your plan to upgrade ASAP after natz.