Green Card Holder applying for Wife. Please help!!

Another question: Along with the I-130, all the supported documents (marriage cert, financial docs, affidavits e.t.c) do I have to send any original or copies would suffice? Do the copies need to be notarized? Thank you.

Another question: Along with the I-130, all the supported documents (marriage cert, financial docs, affidavits e.t.c) do I have to send any original or copies would suffice? Do the copies need to be notarized? Thank you.

The general instructions are legible photocopies (not notarized). The NVC will contact you about the I-864 and financial documents. USCIS only deals withy the I-130 and verifies the relationship.

Send copies with the application, but originals should be brought to the interview.

It's not going to be a problem that the copies were notarized. All it means is that you wasted the time and money to get them notarized.

Guys, I am a GC applying for spouse. Filed I-130 and recieved the following sms today: 'USCIS: Your application was received. Receipt #. Official receipt notice (Form I-797) to follow in mail.'
1. What are the next steps?
3. What should I do on my part now to be prepared for the next steps so that it doesn't get delayed?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, I am a GC applying for spouse. Filed I-130 and recieved the following sms today: 'USCIS: Your application was received. Receipt #. Official receipt notice (Form I-797) to follow in mail.'
1. What are the next steps?
3. What should I do on my part now to be prepared for the next steps so that it doesn't get delayed?

Thanks in advance!

The USCIS will process your I-130. If they need anything, they will contact you. After that, the I-130 will be sent to NVC. It will sit at NVC until: 1.) you upgrade after natz and they will contact you about the I-864, OR 2.) the priority date gets close to current and then they will contact you about the I-864 (in a couple of years).

NOTE: After you natz, you will, technically, be eligible to file an I-129F for a K-3 visa but it would be a waste of time as the I-130 will already be approved and ready to be sent to the consulate long before the I-129F would be touched by USCIS.

Nothing left to do until you get citizenship or the PD becomes current. After the naturalization oath you'll need to upgrade the petition to reflect your citizenship status (which can be a long hassle).

Thanks BigJoe5 and Jackolantern for your prompt reply!
Any idea on how long the I-130 should take to be approved and sent to NVC ? When should I get concern?
Also how do I find out which Service Center my application has gone to? (I am a resident of Texas. Does it mean it will be routed to Texas Service Center?)

Thanks much.

Last edited by a moderator: