Green card for the baby born outside USA

Thanks a lot for ur reply. Due to my family situation I'm forced to go to India for delivery..Is is easy to get a Transportation letter? or do we need to fill any kind of forms?

You don't really need an official Transportation Letter. The airline should let you board the baby upon showing your green cards and the baby's birth certificate and passport. And the immigration officers at the POE should let the baby in and process the baby for a GC.

However, occasionally some people have problems with the airline, so they go to the consulate to get a letter to explain the baby's eligibility to travel which isn't an actual Transportation Letter (which costs $165).

Before leaving the US, I would advise applying for a reentry permit in case any medical issues of the mother or baby result in being unable to return to the US within a year. And remember it must be the accompanying parent's first trip to the US since birth when the baby is brought into the US and the baby must be under 2 years old.

Hi,

I have a question reg citizenship(usa). 1.Do I have to wait for 5 yrs to apply for citizenship after getting PR?(for me). We are in USA from 2005. But we got PR in 2007. If I have 2 wait for 5 yrs, I think I can apply for citizenship in 2012.
2. If I bring my child from India, baby will get greencard at POE. 3. Is it possible to apply for my baby (for citizenship) along with us? or the baby has to wait for 5 yrs to apply for citizenship.

Can you guys pls help me?

Thanks.

Hi Ravinka,

1) You will be eligible to apply for your GC after you have completed 4 years and 9 months as a resident of US. so it will be sometime in 2012 for you.

2) I dont know when you plan to bring your child, is it now in 2010? as long as it is the child's first trip back with the mother and child is under 2 years old, the child will be admitted at POE with provisional GC.

3) I dont know much details about your individual case but I see two possible options to apply for your child's citizenship.

a) Assuming you bring the child to US in 2010 and child gets GC in 2010, child will be eligible to apply for USC on their own in 2015.

b) Assuming you apply for your USC in 2012 and you are granted USC, you can immediately apply for your child's USC then as your dependent.

assuming everything goes well, I see the latter as a quicker option.

All the best!

b) Assuming you apply for your USC in 2012 and you are granted USC, you can immediately apply for your child's USC then as your dependent.

Just a small correction. You will not need to apply for child's USC if you naturalize. The child will naturalize automatically as long as a) he/she has a GC, b) living with you in US and I assume both will be true. You will just need to do the paperwork to either get a passport and/or get the certificate of citizenship through N600.

2) I dont know when you plan to bring your child, is it now in 2010? as long as it is the child's first trip back with the mother and child is under 2 years old, the child will be admitted at POE with provisional GC.
Just to clarify -- the key factor is not the child's first trip; it must be the LPR parent's first trip to the US since the birth, when the child is being brought to the US.

In other words, if the LPR parent already entered the US after the birth but without the baby, the baby will not get LPR status as a result of being brought with the parent on another trip, even if the subsequent trip is the first trip together with the parent and also the child's first trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you got the letter from us consulate? Where can I get it? Will it take months?

You don't need a letter from the consulate, unless the airline refuses to let the baby board because they don't understand the rules. Normally the baby's passport and birth certificate are sufficient, along with the GC of the parent who is bringing the baby to the US.

child born in Nigeria to a greencard Holder

Hi,
just got my green card 2months ago. i have a son born in Nigeria 1 month ago.
i am in nigeria right now. does the above apply to children born in Nigeria? to a GCH
pls note : my wife doesnt have a tourist Visa, will i be allowed to to travel with my baby and will he receive temporary GC @ POE?
10Q

am a GCH. have a baby born in Nigeria 1month ago. my wife doesnt have a tourist visa. does the same apply to a child of a GCH parent born in Nigeria? can i bring him to the U.S while hes under 2yrs?

Hi,
just got my green card 2months ago. i have a son born in Nigeria 1 month ago.
i am in nigeria right now. does the above apply to children born in Nigeria? to a GCH
pls note : my wife doesnt have a tourist Visa, will i be allowed to to travel with my baby and will he receive temporary GC @ POE?

The provision of an instant GC for the baby at the POE requires the mother to be a permanent resident.

Help

Hello Kcr,
I am in a similar situation like u were. My Babies are born in india and I am a green card holder.
Could you please send me the document you received from US Consulate Delhi. I am from Northern India.my email address is
Thanks so much for your help.
Kind Regards

[quote="kcr, post: 1868861"]Hi

I got the document from US consulate, delhi. When you go there make sure you take the baby's passport and birth certificate. I can send you the document if you give me your personal email address.[/QUOTE]

Hello Kcr,
I am in a similar situation like u were. My Babies are born in india and I am a green card holder.
Could you please send me the document you received from US Consulate Delhi. I am from Northern India.my email address is xxxxxxx@xxxxxxx
The post you responded to is 2 years old, and KCR hasn't been active on the forums since. You're probably not going to get a reply from KCR, and I would suggest that you edit your message to remove your email address so the spammers don't pick it up.

Does this also apply if only one of the parents is an LPR. (i.e child born to an LPR father and non-LPR mother outside of US ). In such a case, Is the child eligible for GC during first entry in to US with the LPR parent ?

It's not by default. The kid doesn't get permanent resident status until being brought to the US by the green card parents, within the first two years of birth. I suppose the parents got a Transportation Letter or some other document from the consulate abroad in order to take the baby to the US.

I got gis transportation letter in 1 day, it usualy take 1week. After begging at the homeland office.

Requested transportation letter june8 the day of r flight.
Arrived by june 9.
My son turned two the day after.

Then we Received my son's green card with in 1 month :) thanks to evryone.*