Got Green Card, Do I Have To Inform Employer

MADANST

Registered Users (C)
I'm On H1-b And I Just Got My Green Card (my Spouse Is The Primary Applicant And I'm Ependant).

Do I Have To Inform My Employer? I Dont Want To Inform Him As I Will Be Leaving This Job Soon.

I don't see how "dont want to tell them" part links to "because I'm leaving soon".
What's the harm ?

I will leave them after say 3 months not immediatly. I'm not planning on informing them about my green card

there is no harm in informing your employer and anyway your HR will come to know once you file I-9 form. that is what i think

Since you are not sponsored by your employer, I don't understand why you are worried about leaving them.
And I don't get what you are worred about by telling your employer about GC.

Do I Have To Inform My Employer? I Dont Want To Inform Him As I Will Be Leaving This Job Soon.[/QUOTE]

By your decision, Your GC is from dependant not from your employer. If you wish to stay in this company for a little longer, you need to change your I-9. Then, I suggest you need to inform your employer and change your I-9 status.

What does leaving your job soon have to do with getting your GC?

Since you got your GC throuhg your spouse, it matters not. You should inform your employer.

Do I Have To Inform My Employer? I Dont Want To Inform Him As I Will Be Leaving This Job Soon.
Let me guess ... your employer treats you badly, expecting that you can't leave easily because you only had an H1B? And once they know about your green card, they will immediately suspect that you will leave, and will do things like give you a smaller bonus than they previously planned?

If not, what is your concern with informing them?

For me, I entered USA w/ E2. I filled out I-9 w/ E-2

After I got GC, I was informed to change i-9

Yes, my employer might not pay me what is due if he comes to know I got a green card, since he knows that I will leave him very soon

It does not say anything about I-9 on the physical green card and also on the I-485 approval card, I might not inform him, I will just leave him in 1 month once I get my bonus

Hmm... I guess there are no GC holders and US citizens in your company as they don't pay them.

Yes, my employer might not pay me what is due if he comes to know I got a green card, since he knows that I will leave him very soon

Ah, but that's lots of fun - you get to sue him and watch the courts tear him a new one! Arbitrarily refusing to pay someone is one of those things that makes judges very happy, because being blatantly stupid when violating the law makes for a fun week.

It does not say anything about I-9 on the physical green card and also on the I-485 approval card, I might not inform him, I will just leave him in 1 month once I get my bonus

You can certainly do that, but I would caution you that there are many obligations that you have, and they are not all listed on the Green Card or the I-485 approval notice.

Ah, but that's lots of fun - you get to sue him and watch the courts tear him a new one! Arbitrarily refusing to pay someone is one of those things that makes judges very happy, because being blatantly stupid when violating the law makes for a fun week.
However it's not so simple if it's a discretionary bonus. If you get a $1K bonus you can't prove that it would have been $5K if you didn't do something to make them think you might leave soon.

My understanding is the employer is responsible for the I-9-http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=31b3ab0a43b5d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD
So not sure why you have to inform them if when u were initially hired you ahd valid work authorization