going to Canada

Carrying a passport type document (RTD, RP or NP) alongwith a GC is always prudent to travel to canada. Do you want to make you lives easier or just miserable by showing some I/O what the law says?

So just carry a document with your GC and avoid hassles. Have a print-out of the law just in case you lose your document or other adverse circumstance.

Carrying a passport type document (RTD, RP or NP) alongwith a GC is always prudent to travel to canada. Do you want to make you lives easier or just miserable by showing some I/O what the law says?

So just carry a document with your GC and avoid hassles. Have a print-out of the law just in case you lose your document or other adverse circumstance.

X2

I would still take any passport or travel document, just in case... because it says something completely different everywhere :)

"Effective January 23, 2007, all nationals, including U.S. citizens, will be required to hold a valid passport to enter the United States by air. This also applies when coming from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The new passport requirement means that all travelers, including U.S. citizens, who are departing the U.S. and intend to re-enter the United States are required to hold a valid passport upon departure from the U.S."

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do...vel/passportInformation.jsp&anchorEvent=false

Read the whole rule postesd on the DHS website. It exempts specificallly permanent residents.

clarify

Read the whole rule postesd on the DHS website. It exempts specificallly permanent residents.

jw1951:

I clicked that link and its further attached link:

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1164210249468.shtm

I also checked the following link:

http://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs...y5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1

All of these links only say " GC, RP, RTD can apply for entry to US " but never specifically state their foreigh passport requirement is waived. Further, these sites say foreign nationals who come from outside Western hemisphere to US " must " have a valid foreign passport in addition to their GCs.

I think these official sites are very vague on our AS-based GC holders. They have not " exempt " GC holders.

Comment ?

jw1951:

http://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs...y5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1

All of these links only say " GC, RP, RTD can apply for entry to US " but never specifically state their foreigh passport requirement is waived. Further, these sites say foreign nationals who come from outside Western hemisphere to US " must " have a valid foreign passport in addition to their GCs.

I think these official sites are very vague on our AS-based GC holders. They have not " exempt " GC holders.

Comment ?

Embedded within a link you mentioned:

If traveling to Canada or Mexico, the Permanent Resident Card is sufficient, although, carrying a passport as well could help facilitate your reentry.

Could help=optional=NOT required.

Sufficient=adequate; nothing else required.

jw1951:

Comment ?

Here is an except of a post I made earlier:

"Section 7209 does not apply to Lawful Permanent Residents, who will continue to be able to enter the United States upon
presentation of a valid Form I-551, Alien Registration Card, or other valid evidence of permanent resident status. Section 211(b) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1181(b)...."

71 Federal Register 46155, 46157 n. 10.

The same document states in a later section:

"Section 7209 of IRTPA applies to documentation requirements waived under section 212(d)(4)(B) of the INA which applies to nonimmigrant aliens, and section 215(b) of the INA, which applies to United States citizens. LPRs are exempt from the requirement to present a passport when arriving in the United States under Section 211 of the INA. Section 7209 does not apply to LPRs. LPRs will continue to be able to enter the United States upon presentation of a valid Form I-551, Alien Registration Card, or other valid evidence of permanent resident status. Form I-551 is a secure, fully adjudicated document that can be verified and authenticated by CBP at ports-of-entry."
Id. at 46162-63. [emphasis added and internal footnotes omitted]

I just wanted to update everybody on this issue. It turns out that jw and thankful etc were 100% correct. A passport is not needed for Canada.

When I got to the airport in Canada I handed my green card to the Canadian immigration officer. She asked me did you come directly from the USA and I said yes. She then went on to question me about the reason for my visit and where I would be staying. It took like three minutes.

On the way back: the American DHS people actually have taken over a portion of the airport and everyone flying to the U.S. are inspected right there (so when the plane lands in the United States there is no immigration processing). Anyways, the American officer scanned my green card on his machine and asked how long was I gone for. That was the end of inquiry. No passport needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are a green card holder you do not need a passport to enter Canada (if you fly directly there from the United States). And you do not need a passport to enter the United States if you are directly flying in from Canada. They do not stamp anything in these circumstances.

Gosh, I just randomly checked this thread and i didn't realize how much attention my little statement caused. I still say that you need your passport when you are FLYING IN from Canada. When you stand in line at a US border control at an airport, what do you show them? Your little Green Card? Do you think it is enough to get you in the country? How do they know what flight you came from?

I would still take any passport or travel document, just in case... because it says something completely different everywhere :)

"Effective January 23, 2007, all nationals, including U.S. citizens, will be required to hold a valid passport to enter the United States by air. This also applies when coming from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The new passport requirement means that all travelers, including U.S. citizens, who are departing the U.S. and intend to re-enter the United States are required to hold a valid passport upon departure from the U.S."

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do...vel/passportInformation.jsp&anchorEvent=false

That;s the law I was referring to. Thank you for citing it!

You guys are right and 14ksusha is completely 100% off the wall. I personally verified the answer to this question by calling the Canadian embassy in DC.

Over the years I have observed that 14ksusha is a very impulsive person who gives incorrect (and potentially dangerous) advice here.

As an example, see this link: http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=205158&highlight=georgia

Go away From Whever you are. I haven't posted anything on this forum in months because of useless statements like yours

Yes do take pity on her. :) :)

Go ahead Comcast, travel with a GC and nothing else. Thankful is right, GC is all you need to get in and out from Canada back to US by air. I can't wait to hear your frantic reports from your airport border control 'secondary inspection' room. You may have to spend quite some time there trying to explain to IO how you were planning on entering the US without a passport. Prove me wrong and I will take pity on myself.

GC is all you need.My cousin visited Canada last month without a passport.

It's pointless to insist otherwise.

When you stand in line at a US border control at an airport, what do you show them? Your little Green Card? Do you think it is enough to get you in the country?

Yes it is!!!! Green card is all a permanent resident needs to enter the United States. Check out 8 CFR 212.1.

Go ahead Comcast, travel with a GC and nothing else. Thankful is right, GC is all you need to get in and out from Canada back to US by air. I can't wait to hear your frantic reports from your airport border control 'secondary inspection' room. You may have to spend quite some time there trying to explain to IO how you were planning on entering the US without a passport. Prove me wrong and I will take pity on myself.

Thank you for your concern. I already came back without a passport and admission took less than one minute.

From the Canadian Consulate in Los Angeles (in response to an email I sent to them):

Citizens and Permanent Residents of the USA

If you are either a Citizen or a Permanent Resident of the United
States, you do not require a passport or visa to enter Canada
. However,
you will be required to show proof of your identity as well as proof of
your citizenship or permanent resident status.

Citizens of the USA: You must travel with government issued photo
identification to establish your identity, such as: a valid driver's
license or State I.D. card; and documents to establish your citizenship,
such as: a valid U.S. passport, an original birth certificate issued by
the State (copies and hospital certificates and copies are not
acceptable); Citizenship/ Naturalization Certificate.
NOTE: The following are not considered proof of citizenship: Voter
registration cards; Army discharge papers.
Permanent Residents of the USA: You must travel with proof of your
Permanent Resident status, such as: your valid original I-551 Permanent
Resident Card/ Alien Resident Card/ "Greencard"; valid I-551 "Temporary
Evidence of Permanent Resident Status" endorsement in your passport; or
valid I-327 Permit to Re-Enter the United States. (Generally these
documents mentioned will satisfy both requirements to establish your
identity and your Permanent Resident status. However, if a clear
identification cannot be made from the photograph on your document, i.e.
if your photograph was taken when you were a child, you are strongly
encouraged to obtain a new document from the USCIS before travelling.)
Although it is rare, Immigration Officials may prevent the entry of
visitors:

who appear to pose a health risk to the Canadian public;
who are unable to demonstrate the ability to support themselves and
their dependants if granted entry to Canada;
who are unable to demonstrate their ability to leave Canada, or whose
willingness to leave Canada is in doubt if they were granted entry to
Canada.
Those admissible to Canada must not have a criminal record. (This
includes convictions for driving while intoxicated.) If you have been
convicted of an offence, you may be Criminally Inadmissible.

PLEASE NOTE:

A new United States' law requires all travellers, including US citizens,
entering or returning to the U.S. by air to have a valid passport
effective 23 January, 2007. Though Canadian entry requirements have not
changed all persons travelling by air from Canada to the U.S., will be
required to have a passport.

Similar requirements under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will
apply to all travellers entering the U.S. by sea and through land border
crossings as early as January, 2008. An alternative travel document (a
passport card) is being developed by the U.S. government for US citizens
and is expected to be available before the end of 2007.

Persons travelling by air and returning to the U.S. prior to 23 January,
2007, will continue to be allowed entry upon presentation of
satisfactory evidence of identity and citizenship. Similarly, no
documentation change is foreseen for persons entering or returning to
the U.S. by sea or by land before January, 2008.

These new requirements do not apply to legal permanent residents (LPR)
of the United States. LPRs will continue to be able to use their Alien
Registration Card (Form I-551), issued by DHS, or other valid evidence
of permanent residence status to apply for entry to the United States
Children of LPRs who are US citizens, however, will be subject to the
new passport requirements

Immigration Section
Canadian Consulate General
550 S Hope Street, 9th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90071
Fax: 213 625 7154
http://www.losangeles.gc.ca

So may I presume that you are taking on pity on yourself now?

GC is all you need.My cousin visited Canada last month without a passport.

It's pointless to insist otherwise.

Yes it is an established fact (see above email from the Canadian Government) and only people without a brain argue otherwise.