Going to Canada ?

Yes, high taxes can be very bad. It depends on your situation. Who cares with high costs of medical care in the US if you are 25-45, health, ambitious, qualified, bright professional plenty of jobs for you? My currently employer pays my excellent medical plan in the US for me and my family. People talk about health care in Canada and I laugh because MY health care is much better than theirs. That is over rated anyway, because the place I came from has a better and more accessible health care system than Canada.

As long as I keep working hard for the next few years, finish my masters program, get my next job and keep changing jobs accordingly, God Willing when I start get sick after 50 I will have enough assets, a decent retirement plan already lined up. That is the beauty of capitalism. Canadians will never raise their standard of living if they keep praising their health care system. That is for sure.
All your expectation is based on the assumption that you will be healthy til certain age.
You never know what will happen tomorrow. You may get laidoff and out of healthy insurance from employer. you have to go on your own. If you have history in your health, insurance premium might jump, which is when privatized medical insurance system bites you.
Or you may hit in car accident and you are hospitarized to where your insurance does not cover, and you may feel that you want to kill yourself when you see the medical bill.
THis won't happen when medical insurance is provided by goverment body.

The US the best place when it comes to medical technology, yet, if you look at the ranking, it's at 37th low. Why is that ?

The privatized medical insurance is the WORST thing I can find in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it happens it is better if we have assets. We need to make money now, buy property, 401K, etc. That's the world of capitalism. The way I think is that we need to fight to win. Now if we look to people around us, tell me, in general isn't better in the US? It should be because typically you will be OK by the time you reach 50. How about if we experience an exception and get sick? Well, better that we have house almost paid by then and plenty of assets. Personally I like that idea because at least here we have an option. We need to be careful and play smart though, otherwise you are right, people can get in trouble.

In our case we are in the best position I think. In my case I pay retirement back in my home country as well. If I get sick, I can just go back and live there since cost of living and medical care is lower and there many beautiful things to see there.:) :D :eek: :cool:

All your expectation is based on the assumption that you will be healthy til certain age.
You never know what will happen tomorrow. You may get laidoff and out of healthy insurance from employer. you have to go on your own. If you have history in your health, insurance premium might jump, which is when privatized medical insurance system bites you. THis won't happen when medical insurance is provided by goverment body.

The US the best place when it comes to medical technology, yet, if you look at the ranking, it's at 37th low. Why is that ?

The privatized medical insurance is the WORST thing I can find in the US.

If it happens it is better if we have assets. We need to make money now, buy property, 401K, etc. That's the world of capitalism. The way I think is that we need to fight to win. Now if we look to people around us, tell me, in general isn't better in the US? It should be because typically you will be OK by the time you reach 50. How about if we experience an exception and get sick? Well, better that we have house almost paid by then and plenty of assets. Personally I like that idea because at least here we have an option. We need to be careful and play smart though, otherwise you are right, people can get in trouble.

In our case we are in the best position I think. In my case I pay retirement back in my home country as well. If I get sick, I can just go back and live there since cost of living and medical care is lower and there many beautiful things to see there.:) :D :eek: :cool:

Dude, your assets will melt quick if u end up with a medical emergency (say, a ruptured appendix) without health insurance. Emergency medical bills are one of the major reasons people declare bankruptcy in US. The health delivery system, based predominantly on employer provided health insurance, is probably not the best in the world for patients. But it definitely is numero uno for people in the medical field:D :D :D

Medical bills are abnormal

Our newborn spent the first 48 hours of his life in ICU this January. He was breathing heavily few hours after the birth. He spent about 24h on IV, they ran blood twice. His condition improved gradually over the first 24 hours, they kept him in for another 24 to make sure he is ok.

The cost was $18K (insurance paid something like $12K since they buy in bulk), and that does not include labor and delivery, just the ICU cost.

You better stay healthy and do not lose the coverage.

Remember that I have citizenship from every else. By the way, I just learned that in my country they are paying apparently US$8K-15K for highly qualified IT directors and tecnical managers. I think I will wait for citizenship and gooo baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.

Dude, your assets will melt quick if u end up with a medical emergency (say, a ruptured appendix) without health insurance. Emergency medical bills are one of the major reasons people declare bankruptcy in US. The health delivery system, based predominantly on employer provided health insurance, is probably not the best in the world for patients. But it definitely is numero uno for people in the medical field:D :D :D

I think I will wait for citizenship and gooo baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.

After you get US citizenship .. and if you go back ... You still have to pay the US taxes ...

hmm you might likely take a double dip .. pay taxes where U make money and pay US taxes too.

Emergency medical bills are one of the major reasons people declare bankruptcy in US.

Exactly.

When I came to the US with L1, I attended orientation meeting organized by HR. HR person talked about crazy medical bill and told a horror story.
Someone who was on L1 with that company got involved in traffic accident and hospitarized into emergency room. It's emergency situation and no time to choose the hospital for insurance coverage.
He spent 1 week or so in hospital and later received $600k bill. Not 60k, but 600k.:eek:

Exactly.

When I came to the US with L1, I attended orientation meeting organized by HR. HR person talked about crazy medical bill and told a horror story.
Someone who was on L1 with that company got involved in traffic accident and hospitarized into emergency room. It's emergency situation and no time to choose the hospital for insurance coverage.
He spent 1 week or so in hospital and later received $600k bill. Not 60k, but 600k.:eek:
What are you saying ... because it wasn't a particular hospital the insurance didn't pay it? :confused:

in the end it depends on where you want to settle and how much stress you can take while waiting for GC. if desperate to be in a western country then canada may be good. but I agree for Indians ..going back to India is a good option too. many of my friends have gone back for various reasons ..one is a naturalised US citizen ..his family is just tired of the stressful life, less social activity, daughters education and food (he likes spicy organic food ..).
no matter where you stay ,...having a healthy bank balance is important.

which brings me to another question ..in the unlikely event that some relief is passed, say in 2 months (signed by president) ..when will the visas become available ? is it in october or immediately ?

which brings me to another question ..in the unlikely event that some relief is passed, say in 2 months (signed by president) ..when will the visas become available ? is it in october or immediately ?
If/when the bill is finalized, it will say when it is effective. Once it is effective, it still usually takes at least 3 months for the USCIS to start actually implementing the new rules ... sometimes longer. So if it gets signed this May/June I wouldn't be expecting any real changes before September, and possibly December or January.

If/when the bill is finalized, it will say when it is effective. Once it is effective, it still usually takes at least 3 months for the USCIS to start actually implementing the new rules ... sometimes longer. So if it gets signed this May/June I wouldn't be expecting any real changes before September, and possibly December or January.

I like your signature.

I thought I would add my insight here - I had lived in the US for 8.5 years, on F1, then H1, and of course I left it due to the GC wait..am here in Toronto - don't feel a difference..I kept hearing horror stories before going but I haven't encountered any here as yet. BUT - yes, it is true if you have some basic univ & college exp, it is a tough break but if you have the right education or US work experience, YOU ARE FINE.

All the stories are hearsay carried over from many years ago - the economy has been booming for the last few years - salaries are rising, living is great, public transit all around, what more do you want..if you keep listening to these old stories about cabbies, you will remain biased. I would ask someone - why do u feel Canada is bad? Answer - I don't know - this person told me or that person didn't get a job. Let me see how many get jobs after the H1 quota runs out in few days or a day this year.

AND of course, if you are willing to stagnate in your careers in your desire for your GC, great, so be it..I personally don't care where I live as long as I can work without visa restrictions. Anyone interested in doing an MBA and are stuck in the retrogression? There are 4 top schools here (check BW rankings for non-US schools), salaries for graduating MBA's are great. My wife is happy to get away from the H1 crap too and ironically got a job paying double her US salary..of course winters are brutal but its the same as the winters in Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland or Boston.

I thought I would just help anyone biased by hearsay, thats it - yes, I am sure some guys didn't get jobs but from everyone I know who has moved here with their spouses, all of them have jobs. Remember I am talking about only Toronto here..the rest of Canada could be bad yes, but most talk relates to Toronto primarily.

what about the stories on the site notcanada.com telling that engineering degrees\US work exp not recognized?
I thought I would add my insight here - I had lived in the US for 8.5 years, on F1, then H1, and of course I left it due to the GC wait..am here in Toronto - don't feel a difference..I kept hearing horror stories before going but I haven't encountered any here as yet. BUT - yes, it is true if you have some basic univ & college exp, it is a tough break but if you have the right education or US work experience, YOU ARE FINE.

All the stories are hearsay carried over from many years ago - the economy has been booming for the last few years - salaries are rising, living is great, public transit all around, what more do you want..if you keep listening to these old stories about cabbies, you will remain biased. I would ask someone - why do u feel Canada is bad? Answer - I don't know - this person told me or that person didn't get a job. Let me see how many get jobs after the H1 quota runs out in few days or a day this year.

AND of course, if you are willing to stagnate in your careers in your desire for your GC, great, so be it..I personally don't care where I live as long as I can work without visa restrictions. Anyone interested in doing an MBA and are stuck in the retrogression? There are 4 top schools here (check BW rankings for non-US schools), salaries for graduating MBA's are great. My wife is happy to get away from the H1 crap too and ironically got a job paying double her US salary..of course winters are brutal but its the same as the winters in Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland or Boston.

I thought I would just help anyone biased by hearsay, thats it - yes, I am sure some guys didn't get jobs but from everyone I know who has moved here with their spouses, all of them have jobs. Remember I am talking about only Toronto here..the rest of Canada could be bad yes, but most talk relates to Toronto primarily.

Hi,

It is nice that you are doing well there. I am really glad things have worked out for you and family. I think the most decisive factor on deciding if you are going somewhere, is to analyze what you have got where you are now. If H1B doesn't let one exercise its true passion, so maybe going to Canada may be a better alternative.

I go to dice.com, I use network engineer as my job title search. In Canada I find 24 jobs for this. If I use NEW JERSEY ALONE in my search, I found 306 jobs. That's what I used when I decided to give up from my Canadian PR and move to the US on H1B. I think more than any personal success stories, which you can find some in Canada - but so you can find some in South America - that type of job search can give me a quantitative idea on how to evaluate how good is that booming economy. I have been observing stories of booming economy in Canada since 1997.

Just out of curiosity...I understand you are still studying so you are not really clear on job sitaution in Canada. No offense, I am trying to understand the picture more clearly.

However since you said your wife is working, can you tell us what field is she working in? Is she a doctor? Is she an Engineer? or Is she some IT professional? Or some other field? Please be specific if you can so that we know that there is no descrimination in that field.

That would help lot of us know the real picture. Thanks and have a good day.

I agree with puhrince,

toronto is not as bad as people listen. I still have a valid visa for US. in the mean while i applied for canadian PR. It took 18 moths to get it. I got my canadian PR stamping last month. I thought of taking a break from all the US Retro crap and came here to Toronto, 3 interviews in canada. got job and presently working in the same field i love . IT ERP, thats what i was doing in US as a consultant for 4 years. now i am happy since it is a full time job . no need to move from 1 place to other place for projects. I think canada (toronto) isBetter for for people who got bored with US Temping(contracting) and got bored with changing place/projects every 6 months or 1 year. If you want to settle donw at one place without the hassel of visa. i would say canada is best. Of course salaries are comparable to US. i am getting the same salary as i used to get in US. only one diff. If you convert to indian rupees then you are making 15%, Thats the only diff i see in canada and us.

that site is old, old, old..a lot of the complaints are from people with degrees back home without any work exp in NA. You will encounter similar problems in US too unless of course you are in IT or have done a MS there. A lot of immigrants get their PR and land here hoping for some great jobs simply bcos its Canada, which dosen't happen, but they remain here instead of going back home, and then yeah end up taking menial jobs. But they could have for example, studied further in Canada to stand out, but they don't due to lack of money.
Also,you have to remember that you are comparing a city, Toronto, with the whole of US, which is unfair.

what about the stories on the site notcanada.com telling that engineering degrees\US work exp not recognized?

very true...I am open to living anywhere as long as I move ahead in my career now- made one mistake of stagnating in US for the GC, never again. Now that I have left the technical career and am doing MBA, this gives me
the freedom to settle anywhere since MBA opens all kinds of doors for you in terms of work locations.

I agree with your comment on the number of job postings - US will always have the advantage on that front and if you get something there, you should stay there..BUT the root problem remains regarding immigration. Suppose among the 24 jobs in Canada, there is one which is something you wanted - would you take it? I would weigh both the scenarios - with the current immigration hassles in US, I would go for the one in Canada..that is the point I am trying to make...in the end, its how much one is willing to sacrifice in his career to get that GC - you don't want to be too old (in terms of career) to do that.

Hi,

It is nice that you are doing well there. I am really glad things have worked out for you and family. I think the most decisive factor on deciding if you are going somewhere, is to analyze what you have got where you are now. If H1B doesn't let one exercise its true passion, so maybe going to Canada may be a better alternative.

I go to dice.com, I use network engineer as my job title search. In Canada I find 24 jobs for this. If I use NEW JERSEY ALONE in my search, I found 306 jobs. That's what I used when I decided to give up from my Canadian PR and move to the US on H1B. I think more than any personal success stories, which you can find some in Canada - but so you can find some in South America - that type of job search can give me a quantitative idea on how to evaluate how good is that booming economy. I have been observing stories of booming economy in Canada since 1997.