Going to Canada ?

yeah i started my MBA here in Sep 06 - have 6 years work exp in US (non-IT). I probably am not that clear on job market, but I have interacted with plenty of people here who are in the working world to have a basic understanding. Again, I am talking about only Toronto...most of the working population are from here, with the rest in Vancouver, and now with Alberta booming in oil & gas, many are moving there too.

My wife has an MBA from India itself, worked in Australia for 4 years, and then another year in US...IT is not her profession but she works with IT people as part of her job profile. She got the job offer while she was in the US. The best part about being a spouse of a student in Canada - you get open work permits...I heard this is the same in UK as well as in Australia, not sure though.

Just out of curiosity...I understand you are still studying so you are not really clear on job sitaution in Canada. No offense, I am trying to understand the picture more clearly.

However since you said your wife is working, can you tell us what field is she working in? Is she a doctor? Is she an Engineer? or Is she some IT professional? Or some other field? Please be specific if you can so that we know that there is no descrimination in that field.

That would help lot of us know the real picture. Thanks and have a good day.

Exactly.

When I came to the US with L1, I attended orientation meeting organized by HR. HR person talked about crazy medical bill and told a horror story.
Someone who was on L1 with that company got involved in traffic accident and hospitarized into emergency room. It's emergency situation and no time to choose the hospital for insurance coverage.
He spent 1 week or so in hospital and later received $600k bill. Not 60k, but 600k.:eek:
I am sorry but this story does not sound right.....if you know the details please share with us...

otherwise i can pretty much say that this story fails fact check.....if you even know basic health insurance rules you will understand that this story has a big hole...

just becos some one got lucky does not mean that the whole environment has improved...

I have two friends in canada....one in toronto.....another in vancouver.....they miss usa badly......becos number of opportunities are so less that it may take 2-3 months to get the next assignment if their current contract comes to end..

friend in toronto is getting paid $20/hr..

maybe things have gotten better in canada because of the ripple effect of usa economy........but lets just wait and watch if jobs in canada keeps improving.......
if USA economy slows down.....it usually gets pretty ugly over there..

----------
Lets say canada has gotten better....great...now we have one more option..

how about we apply for a job.....and i am not sure how tough it is to get work permit....but it should not be impossible....

great once we get a job....move there....apply for PR......(I have heard u can get PR within 1 year if you apply from within canada)....

-----------------
I need to get in touch with my friend in toronto.....either he is utterly incompetent.....or maybe he is very greedy......why does he needs to come to usa on a visa....if he has a canadian citizenship??

Last edited by a moderator:
just becos some one got lucky does not mean that the whole environment has improved...

I have two friends in canada....one in toronto.....another in vancouver.....they miss usa badly......becos number of opportunities are so less that it may take 2-3 months to get the next assignment if their current contract comes to end..

friend in toronto is getting paid $20/hr..

maybe things have gotten better in canada because of the ripple effect of usa economy........but lets just wait and watch if jobs in canada keeps improving.......
if USA economy slows down.....it usually gets pretty ugly over there..

----------
Lets say canada has gotten better....great...now we have one more option..

how about we apply for a job.....and i am not sure how tough it is to get work permit....but it should not be impossible....

great once we get a job....move there....apply for PR......(I have heard u can get PR within 1 year if you apply from within canada)....

-----------------
I need to get in touch with my friend in toronto.....either he is utterly incompetent.....or maybe he is very greedy......why does he needs to come to usa on a visa....if he has a canadian citizenship??
Hi Bro,
No offence, i just gave my real-time situation, its up to u wheather to see it positively or no, But i dont know about the entire job market(IT market), but ERP market is really good if you have the right kind of expirence.

Aslo if you have contacts/are working with any big 5 consulting firms work permit should not be a problem, i know couple of people from big 5 consulting firms who got there passport stamped with wrok permit even with out visiting counslate.