• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

getting jobs once in states

kirwana

Registered Users (C)
hello...
once in the states,,how fast can one acquire ajob,,any special stuff required?
thanx in advance

thanx for the quick response..
am a systems administrator,,into networks experience of around 4years.

hate to rain on your parade but considering the state of the economy in the usa at the moment you not gonna be able to find the job for months if not years in your ocupation -you might try to find some ''regular ''jobs like mcdonalds or burger king gigs or driving a taxi for a while (couple of years) -jobs a scarce and employers are neat picking employees -since you dont have ''us working experiance '' that would be your down fall in every interview you might attend over here .my advice don't bother

True that...if you have a stable job where you are,get here, get a RE-entry Permit which will allow you to come back within two years.Hope things will be better than.

thanx for the quick response..
am a systems administrator,,into networks experience of around 4years.

You will be luck to even get the McD job, either there is an hiring freeze, downsizing, one full time job split into 3 part time jobs (this way atleast they avoid paying benefits), people are loosing homes....... brace for shock-waves.

yes you are right -my bad -not even McDo jobs true - for Blockbuster video gig it was a line around the block of would be employees -most of them ITs with no prospect of working in their ocupation since those companys who might need them do not exists anymore

Not a good time to be out to get a job in the U.S at the moment. The economy is getting worse everyday and there is almost no jobs available. You will be lucky if you can get a temp job that will hire you temporary.

And Re-entry permit is not an option for a new immigrant. I checked, because I was thinking the same thing. You need to be at least reside in the U.S for 1 year before you can apply for a re-entry permit. The less time you reside in the U.S, the less time they will give on your re-entry permit (1 year instead of 2 years).

If you already have a stable job in your home country, it is definitely not worth it to leave the job and come to the U.S. It is already hard enough for Americans to maintain a job or look for a new job, as for new immigrant, the odds are doubles even tripled. Most of my Americans friends that are still working said to me that they have this constant fear that they will loose their job. Not a good feeling... :(

If you decide to look for a job in the U.S, get ready to wait for a long time. Keep trying and be prepare financially. Make sure you have enough money to sustain your life and family for couple of months (at least 6 months). Remember, new immigrants won't be eligible for government aids, food stamps, and unemployment benefits until they start paying taxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
pliz do not discourage us

I just arrived in the states braced for the tough times that lay ahead. I support people giving their opinions but Iam finding it hard to understand why spend your time discouraging rather than encouraging others. You can say its telling it like you see it but I feel this site could be better used encouraging people offering tips on how to succed rather than the other way. Its tough we know but do you have to rub it in? Most of us made rational decisions to leave our countries for me in Africa for a better life and I now I will succed.

wow...thats cool,,thanx alot for the opinions,,,i know i`ll make it GOD WILLING,,,YES I CAN,,,thanx guys

And Re-entry permit is not an option for a new immigrant. I checked, because I was thinking the same thing. You need to be at least reside in the U.S for 1 year before you can apply for a re-entry permit. The less time you reside in the U.S, the less time they will give on your re-entry permit (1 year instead of 2 years).

Hi Gerindo,

Could you please tell us the source of this information?

Thanks

I just arrived in the states braced for the tough times that lay ahead. I support people giving their opinions but Iam finding it hard to understand why spend your time discouraging rather than encouraging others. You can say its telling it like you see it but I feel this site could be better used encouraging people offering tips on how to succed rather than the other way. Its tough we know but do you have to rub it in? Most of us made rational decisions to leave our countries for me in Africa for a better life and I now I will succed.

My intention is not to discouraged people but to prepare people for what's coming. It is the reality, which it would be easier to face when you know ahead of time. My intention is to help people to get ready for the worse. If you know you are going to a place that is raining, wouldn't you bring an umbrella?

reality helps but

Gerindo I have nothing aganist you. its just reading people asking others to stay away because there are no jobs while they themselves continue with their immigration process distasteful. I like being told the truth even when it hurts but you can tell when a person is telling the truth to help and when they are telling their truth to discourage.

I agree with Gerindo's opinion. The truth is the truth. It's not so easy to get a job anymore, neither in USA nor in another country. If you have a job you can decide what to do. Do not expect people here can help you to make up your mind, it's up to you.

Hi,

I searched the referenced page and I could not find a statement that a LPR must be in the states for one full year before becoming eligible to the re-entry permit.

Preparing for the worst is not always a good strategy. I read somewhere that 90% of the things we worry will never happen and 90% of the things that happen to us we were never prepared or aware of. I am not saying that you should leave everything to luck but you should not be so pessimistic.

The job market is really bad, no question about it but do not forget that even if 8% of the population is jobless, 92% have jobs and working. One could try to migrate to states that have low unemployment (and there quite a few ) according to dept of labor statistics. Hopefully when things turn around later on, you can move to your dream place.

Last edited by a moderator:
u guys r giving us good advice.ma interview is in march but am confused about the job prospects.could anyone know anything about medical lab technologists/technician jobs?am a diploma holder in medical lab sciences.Bro n sis pliz advice me b4 i make ma decision.

i wish u all the best

u guys r giving us good advice.ma interview is in march but am confused about the job prospects.could anyone know anything about medical lab technologists/technician jobs?am a diploma holder in medical lab sciences.Bro n sis pliz advice me b4 i make ma decision.

i wish u all the best

First you must be licenced here in the usa to work as MT, above all they require you to have bachelors degree. The best option for you is to identify the school which offers the course, transfer your credits (if transferable) pursue bachelors. Atleast that way you increase chances......