Getting engaged during Green card process, and wanting to relocate

PearCoffee

Hi everyone, I wanted to ask if anyone had experienced a similar situation as me below, and any advice on next steps:

1) I'm based in Location A in the US, and have submitted my I-140 and I-485
2) I recently got engaged and wish to move to Location B (in a different US state) but continue to work for the same company
3) I understand that the I-140 is location-based, and so I may not be able to move my worksite location until approved
4) However, I believe I could request premium processing of my already-submitted I-140, which has a turnaround of ~15 days
5) If premium processing was approved, this would mean that it's just the I-485 left which is not dependent on location - meaning I could move to Location B to be with my fiance

Appreciate the above is somewhat of a complex situation, but appreciate anyone's opinion of if steps 4&5 would be acceptable

Regards

PC

I-140 premium processing could be requested by either your employer or you (employee)
I believe you currently might be on some work visa if that is the case then your employer might have to file amended petition for your employment to location B.
Your partner can file I-485 once you get married.

Thanks, correct - she is doing an employment-based Green card, and so her work has already filed her I-140 and I-1485 concurrently

We are thinking of asking her work to request premium processing for the I-140 to speed this up.

Then, in our understanding the I-485 becomes portable after 6 months, at which time we can request it to be portable to a new residence address to avoid any issues with the process

I-485 portability pertains to switching to new employer which you can do after I-485 remains pending for 180 days. If you were to move to new address you need to file AR-11 change of address.

Thanks. So if she changed address after I-140 approval but I485 still pending, it would not affect her I485 application if she moved to another state?

You are good if you change address & files AR-11 for I-485. But it is safer to upgrade I-140 to premium processing, get it approved & move to new address.