GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

It shouldn't be a problem as Direct relatives of US citizens including parents are generally forgiven for overstay as long as they have no criminal history. It is very important that she does NOT leave the USA whilst the adjustment of status is proceeding as she will not be allowed to re enter for 10 years. No travel until Green card in hand!

There are a number of threads here that discuss this situation if you do a search.

Good Luck

It shouldn't be a problem as Direct relatives of US citizens including parents are generally forgiven for overstay as long as they have no criminal history. It is very important that she does NOT leave the USA whilst the adjustment of status is proceeding as she will not be allowed to re enter for 10 years. No travel until Green card in hand!

There are a number of threads here that discuss this situation if you do a search.

Good Luck

Thank you for your response, when we are talking about criminal record, she had a problem back in 2003 got involved on a fight with a neighbor; both went to jail but no charges were file; she has a court clearance letter about her record being clean; does this affect?

Travel restrictions after 130 application for dad who is a visitor?

Hi...I am a US citizen and recently did a 130 application for my dad who entered the country as a visitor in June 2010. He is due to return to India in December. All we have received so far is the USCIS receipt of application. Basically we awaiting the 130 approval. Are there any travel restrictions for him ? Would anyone know?

Thanks
reyi

Hi...I am a US citizen and recently did a 130 application for my dad who entered the country as a visitor in June 2010. He is due to return to India in December. All we have received so far is the USCIS receipt of application. Basically we awaiting the 130 approval. Are there any travel restrictions for him ? Would anyone know?

Thanks
reyi

Did you also File I 485 to do adjustment of status ?

If so, he should not travel out of the US until he gets the green card, unless he also applied for an advance parole document, which would allow travel during the processing time .

If you filed only the I130, then he should be OK to travel

Questions about applying for AOS for mum

hi-
I could not find an answer to this question in the thread. I would appreciate if someone could help me.

I am a USC and my mom has a 10 year visa. She will come to US on Dec1, 2010 and now, I want to apply for her GC. From the thread- I understand that I can submit I130 and I485 concurrently- (please correct me if I am wrong).
1. Should I wait for a certain minimum time (60 or 90 days) after her arrival to apply?
2. Her I94 will be likley valid for 6 months. If I wait for say 90 days and her AOS does not get approved before her I-94 expires, can she legally continue to stay in USA (till her application gets decisioned)
3. besides I130 and I485, is there a list of documents/forms that needs to be filed
Thanks much for your help
Sam

Hi Sam

Hi Sam,
I am also in the same situation, my mom came to USA on sep15 2010, I am also planning to file for her GC. I will have to wait till DEC 15 2010 to start my process.I am also filing for my dad in India for Counsular Processing. I will be filing for his papers by Nov 15th 2010.
For my mom, I 130, I 485, I 864, I 163, I 131, G 325. I think thers are the documents you need to file.
If you get any more information pls let me know

Hi Sam
Hi Sam,
I am also in the same situation, my mom came to USA on sep15 2010, I am also planning to file for her GC. I will have to wait till DEC 15 2010 to start my process.I am also filing for my dad in India for Counsular Processing. I will be filing for his papers by Nov 15th 2010.
For my mom, I 130, I 485, I 864, I 163, I 131, G 325. I think thers are the documents you need to file.
If you get any more information pls let me know

can anyone advise regarding ability of my mum to stay after the expiry of DOS with a pending I130 and I485 (when waiting for the AOS forms to be decisioned)
" 2. Her I94 will be likley valid for 6 months. If I wait for say 90 days and her AOS does not get approved before her I-94 expires, can she legally continue to stay in USA (till her application gets decisioned)"

hi-
I could not find an answer to this question in the thread. I would appreciate if someone could help me.

I am a USC and my mom has a 10 year visa. She will come to US on Dec1, 2010 and now, I want to apply for her GC. From the thread- I understand that I can submit I130 and I485 concurrently- (please correct me if I am wrong).
1. Should I wait for a certain minimum time (60 or 90 days) after her arrival to apply?
2. Her I94 will be likley valid for 6 months. If I wait for say 90 days and her AOS does not get approved before her I-94 expires, can she legally continue to stay in USA (till her application gets decisioned)
3. besides I130 and I485, is there a list of documents/forms that needs to be filed
Thanks much for your help
Sam

hi

I will be filing in jan 2011. my mom i-94 will expire on march 15 2011. she came to usa on sep15 2010, i was told to wait 90 days. will it be ok. when can i expect the entire process to be finished? i heard it will take 6-8 mts.

I filed for my father in Sept and he will get an interview in Dec. Timeline in my signature

it should be fine in January. It depends where you are located as to how long it will take, but generally it seems to be taking a few months.

Its quick these days

I applied for my mom end of July, she had the interview yesterday and got approved. Its exactly 3months 2 days from application mailaing date to approval. I live in Michigan

Guys,

I need help

I would like to apply for my parents who are in India. I do not want to call them here and then apply. I think this is called Consular Processing.

I am now a US Citizen and want to apply for my birth parents so that they get Green Cards.
In this case - what are the forms to be filled - Please advise

hi

I just did this process for my dad who is in india, and will be applying for my mom who is in USA in Jan.
For your parents in india, you need to file I-130 first. After it gets approved they will tell you what papers you need to send and what forms you need to fill out, so first send
I 130.
I just sent it on wednesday for my dad for CP in chennai

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did this process for my dad who is in india, and will be applying for my mom who is in USA in Jan.
For your parents in india, you need to file I-130 first. After it gets approved they will tell you what papers you need to send and what forms you need to fill out, so first send
I 130.
I just sent it on wednesday for my dad for CP in chennai

bigbull99 ---So Just the I-130 --- what are the fees ?