GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Hi -

I have an income related question for applying Green card for parents. I'm a stay at home mom and want to apply green card for my parents. Is there any income restriction that I need to meet to sponsor my parents? My husband currently holds Green card and is working. Can he fund my parent's sponsorship? Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, my parents also received interview notice held on Jul 27.
Applications for my parents went well so far. I did not get any inquiry from immigration about missing data or FP issue.
But as many of us know that typically parents receive GC without interview, I am a bit worried and want to get prepared at the best I can.
How did your interview go? Any tough questions?

Thanks!

That parents receive GC without interview is really no longer true. If you read back the past year, there's hardly a case of a parent receiving GC without also receiving an interview. You shouldn't be worried about that. Someone just recently posted up a detailed writeup of his parents interview experience. Mine went very similar, with the IO mostly checking up information or repeating information in the application. It was really straightforward! Good luck!

Never got around to posting my experience sponsoring my mothers GC.
I am a USC and my mother is a Canadian.
I dont have the exact dates handy, but here we go.

Application mailed: 2nd week of November 09
Receipt received: 10 days
Interview notice received: 2nd week of December 09
Interview : 2nd week of February 10
- Accompanied my Mom for the interview.
- 10-15 questions directed at each of us
- Questions were to prove relationship, intent, reason for applying, etc.
- After 10 mins of paperwork, application was approved.
- Was given a letter stating that application was approved
- Officer referred to INFOPASS appointment to get passport stamped
Infopass appt: 3 weeks later to get approval stamped
Notice of Approval: 3 weeks after interview
Card ordered note: 3 months after interview
Card received: 4 months after interview

Summary: Approval took 3 months but a total of 6.5 months from app-to GC.

G

Quick question

Never got around to posting my experience sponsoring my mothers GC.
I am a USC and my mother is a Canadian.
I dont have the exact dates handy, but here we go.

Application mailed: 2nd week of November 09
Receipt received: 10 days
Interview notice received: 2nd week of December 09
Interview : 2nd week of February 10
- Accompanied my Mom for the interview.
- 10-15 questions directed at each of us
- Questions were to prove relationship, intent, reason for applying, etc.
- After 10 mins of paperwork, application was approved.
- Was given a letter stating that application was approved
- Officer referred to INFOPASS appointment to get passport stamped
Infopass appt: 3 weeks later to get approval stamped
Notice of Approval: 3 weeks after interview
Card ordered note: 3 months after interview
Card received: 4 months after interview

Summary: Approval took 3 months but a total of 6.5 months from app-to GC.

G

Hi wonderfull

I am in similar situation as you, my mom is canadian, I applied for her filing I-130 concurrently with I-485 very recently. My Mom come through land border so they did not stamp her passport or nor issued I-94 for her.

I do not if your situation was same and how did you handle that? Any thoughts or pitfalls for not having any proof of your entry to US from canada.

If anyone else in similar situation please respond, I am bit worried about it.

Thanks

Hey guys, I am a bit confused here. My scenario is I was naturalized in Jan 2010, and was planning to apply GC for my parents thru Consular Processing. Almost all of u guy's experience state that ur parents already had an tourist or visitor visa with u being the sponsor. In my case, my parents never visited US nor do they have a tourist visa. Can I still proceed thru CP or do they need to first get a non immigrant visa and be here once b4 I can apply?
Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, I am a bit confused here. My scenario is I was naturalized in Jan 2010, and was planning to apply GC for my parents thru Consular Processing. Almost all of u guy's experience state that ur parents already had an tourist or visitor visa with u being the sponsor. In my case, my parents never visited US nor do they have a tourist visa. Can I still proceed thru CP or do they need to first get a non immigrant visa and be here once b4 I can apply?
Thanks in advance!
No, they don't have to be here. They will attend immigrant visa interview at a US consulate at their home country.

Hi

Hi Guys,
I need some help.
I will be USC on 27 August 2010. I want to apply GC for my parents. Both Mom and dad. They have 10yrs Multiple entery Visa. They have been to USA several time. My Mom is comming again on Sep 15 2010. My Dad has no plans of comming now. I was told that i have to wait 90 days after my mom comes to USA to apply for he GC.
I have a question.
Can i file I 130 after 27 Aug 2010.for my mom and later on when it is approved file the I 485 when she is in USA?
I also heard that if they find out in the airport they my give he rhard time. But it will be only 19 days after i file she will be entering USA. Will they update their systems so soon.
Please advise me what should i do? Wait 90 days or file ?

I have read conflicting information about having to wait 90 days after arrival for one to file for parents. Are we just being cautious or is this actually a rule that is written somewhere?

hi

I have read conflicting information about having to wait 90 days after arrival for one to file for parents. Are we just being cautious or is this actually a rule that is written somewhere?

I sopke with a lawyer. He use to work for USCIS, Now he is retired and works for him self. He told me ti wait for 3-4 mts before filing for my mom after she comes to usa.

I an a USC and have filed I-130 for Counselor Processing for both my parents on May 17th. The check got cashed around May 20. The online status shows the following message
" Initial Review On May 17, 2010, we received this I130 IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN,"

I heard it took about a month before I would get a notice to file for I-485 and other applications but I have not heard anything back. Anyone in the same shoes? Any suggestions on how long should i wait or expect to wait?

Thanks

My application was received on the 7th of May 2010, same here no movement in the application. I thought they had made the process much faster for Parents. I see application for adjustments are faster all those who applied during the same time already received the FP and stuff.

I'm about to file for my dad who is here on a B2 visa. I did the same for my mom last year which took a total of 3 months from filing to GC.

Wonder if there are any big changes in rules/fees/procedure since last year?

Hi

I'm about to file for my dad who is here on a B2 visa. I did the same for my mom last year which took a total of 3 months from filing to GC.

Wonder if there are any big changes in rules/fees/procedure since last year?

Hi,
I need to file for my mother ,She will be comming to USA on 15 sep 2010, Do i need to wait for 90 days? You said you are filing for your dad who is on B2, My mom Has a 10 yr B2. Please tell me how you will be doing the process and how long will it take for him to get the green card.

You should wait at least 90 days before you file, BTW it's not considered a recommended way to get somebody LPR in the eyes of of USCIS because you are essentially cutting in the line by bringing relatives here on B2 visa and applying for AOS while they are already here and that's why they like to see a 90 day period after a B2 entry. It takes about 7-8 months here.
A person is essentially breaking the Law at POE by requesting a B2 entry when realistically the intent is to adjust status.
A Consular officer explained this to my friends father in Delhi and actually appreciated that his father did not abuse his 10 year visit visa and preferred to have it done the right way. We need to stop this practice of a B2 abuse before they realize what exactly is going on and stop the generous issuing of 10 year B2 to parents and make it hard for deserving true visiting parents.
But goodluck anyway.

You have to wait at least 90 days before you file

Well, you don't "have" to anything. This is purely a suggestion. The point is showing there that was no intent to immigrate via a visitors visa. How one does that comes in many flavors. If it was a easy to say, 'stay at least 90 days, then all is good' -- this is an oversimplification. Many people stay far less than 90 days and AOS and have no problem. But obviously, the poster above knowingly intends to file AOS for his parents, while hiding the intent to immigrate, which is different -- and I would definitely try to take my time before filing AOS.

Edit: poster changed 'have' to 'should'...

Hi

You should wait at least 90 days before you file, BTW it's not considered a recommended way to get somebody LPR in the eyes of of USCIS because you are essentially cutting in the line by bringing relatives here on B2 visa and applying for AOS while they are already here and that's why they like to see a 90 day period after a B2 entry. It takes about 7-8 months here.
My mom also had a 10 year B2 but when our intent was not to visit but to get LPR, I filed the I-130 with CP and asked her to wait besides it takes longer to adjust status if you account the wait for those 90 days. CP takes about 4-5 months nowadays for India.
A person is essentially breaking the Law at POE by requesting a B2 entry when realistically the intent is to adjust status.
A Consular officer explained this to my friends father in Delhi and actually appreciated that his father did not abuse his 10 year visit visa and preferred to have it done the right way. We need to stop this practice of a B2 abuse before they realize what exactly is going on and stop the generous issuing of 10 year B2 to parents and make it hard for deserving true visiting parents.
But goodluck anyway.

Hi, Thank you very much for your help and advise. I will follow it. I will be needing more hep in filling the forms, if you dont mind helping me

Finger Prints Issue

Hello all,

Could someone share the experience, if any, regarding finger prints being rejected twice as "Non Legible”? What is the next step/process? How long does it take to resolve the issue?
Any information provided would be very helpful!
Thanks!

hi

My mom also had a 10 year B2 but when our intent was not to visit but to get LPR, I filed the I-130 with CP and asked her to wait besides it takes longer to adjust status if you account the wait for those 90 days. CP takes about 4-5 months nowadays for India.
But goodluck anyway.

Hi,
I have a question, I started working in 2009, i have Taxes filed in 2009 and will be filing in 2010, will i be able to sponser my parents. I an USC. I heard that i shoud have 3yrs of tax returns. I dont have a sponceror. Please tell me what to do?