GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

I do not see a problem

Hi Punjab
Her i-94 has been expired almost a month ago and USCIS has not made any decision yet but i belive she can still stay here since she her case still pending.
My concern was that Once i become citizen can i still petition AOS for her while She has already pending case?

Parents of Citizens are allowed to adjust status even with expired I-94.
Having an extension case pending is not going to make an impact.

G325A Question

I needed help completing G-325A. As you all know the addresses in India are pretty long, I am unable to fit my mother's address "Applicant's last address outside the United States of more than one year" in the space allotted on the PDF when filling it online..

1) Can we attach a separate sheet with the information.
2) Since there are 4 copies of the application would I need 4 separate sheets with the address?

Thanks
SG

SG,

I had the same problem; I did couple of things - a) entered address in lower case (takes less space) and b) entered most relevant information of the address (street name, area, city) and c) Abbreviated some words in the address.

If you have to add a sheet, it's better to include 4 copies.

Hope this helps.

I needed help completing G-325A. As you all know the addresses in India are pretty long, I am unable to fit my mother's address "Applicant's last address outside the United States of more than one year" in the space allotted on the PDF when filling it online..

1) Can we attach a separate sheet with the information.
2) Since there are 4 copies of the application would I need 4 separate sheets with the address?

Thanks
SG

Hi all,
today I receved REF saying that "It appears that my birth was registered after one year of my birth" This ia incorrect. My birth was dly registered with at the time of my birth. Though I got this certificae isued again a couple of years back. They therfore want other proofs.
I will greatly appreciate help. I learnt from some people that embassy issues birth certificaes. Has anyone succeeded with this appoach?

Hi,

I got my Citizenship in May 2008. My mom is visiting USA on B2 visa and I want to apply for her Green Card.

I have couple of question:

1. I have a translated copy of my birth certificate but it does not list my name or my mothers’ name. Do I need affidavit from India to say she is my mother?

2. The birth certificate has my fathers name but my father passed away 5 years ago. We have a translated copy of his death certificate.

3. We have translated birth certificate for my mother but we have no marriage certificate. Would we need my parent’s marriage certificate?

I am not sure if this all will cause us problem because my birth certificate has my fathers name but he passed away and we have no proof of relationship between my parents but I am applying for my mother who is in USA.

Some of the forms request my mother’s husband name, should we write his name and then put diseased after it?

Thank you,
AG

Khilonna,

If applying for only one of the parents, no marriage certificate is required.

I am in same scenario (father passed away and applying for mother), I put in my father's name with "deceased" in parentheses.

If the birth certificate doesn't give your name or mother's name, then you would need 2 affidavits as secondary evidence. You will also need a non-availability certificate.

My application is still in progress and so I can't tell if the documentation I provided is acceptable.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I got my Citizenship in May 2008. My mom is visiting USA on B2 visa and I want to apply for her Green Card.

1. I have a translated copy of my birth certificate but it does not list my name or my mothers’ name. Do I need affidavit from India to say she is my mother?

2. The birth certificate has my fathers name but my father passed away 5 years ago. We have a translated copy of his death certificate.

3. We have translated birth certificate for my mother but we have no marriage certificate. Would we need my parent’s marriage certificate?

I am not sure if this all will cause us problem because my birth certificate has my fathers name but he passed away and we have no proof of relationship between my parents but I am applying for my mother who is in USA.

Some of the forms request my mother’s husband name, should we write his name and then put diseased after it?

Thank you,
AG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Khilona,

Where did you get your birth certificate translated? Mine has both my deceased father's name (I also have his English death certificate) and my mother's name.

I have precisely the same situation and maybe I can benefit from your experience and others on this forum. I am a month away from filing for my widowed mother.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Thank you,
AG

Hi Khilona,

Where did you get your birth certificate translated? Mine has both my deceased father's name (I also have his English death certificate) and my mother's name.

I have precisely the same situation and maybe I can benefit from your experience and others on this forum. I am a month away from filing for my widowed mother.

Thanks in advance.

My brother got it done in India. I guess in India its easy to get documents translated and notarized. I did not find any place to get it translated in USA.

Khilonna,

If applying for only one of the parents, no marriage certificate is required.

I am in same scenario (father passed away and applying for mother), I put in my father's name with "deceased" in parentheses.

If the birth certificate doesn't give your name or mother's name, then you would need 2 affidavits as secondary evidence. You will also need a non-availability certificate.

My application is still in progress and so I can't tell if the documentation I provided is acceptable.

Hope this helps.

Do I still need a non-avaiability certificate if I have my birth certificate but it only has my fathers name on it?

Which address is the correct one to mail the AOS packet.The 130 and 485 instructions give the same Chicago PO Box but different zip codes one is 4107 the other is 4120.Which is the correct address??
Thank you.

luckylilly,

This is the address:

NOTE: If the Form I-130 petition is being filed concurrently with Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, submit both forms concurrently to:
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services P.O. Box 805887 Chicago, IL 60680-4107
For couriers/express deliveries:
USCIS Attn: FBAS 131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Which address is the correct one to mail the AOS packet.The 130 and 485 instructions give the same Chicago PO Box but different zip codes one is 4107 the other is 4120.Which is the correct address??
Thank you.

Khilonna,

If mother's name is not on the birth certificate, it doesn't quality for the primary evidence. Then you will need to go for secondary evidence (non-availability + affidavits).

Do I still need a non-avaiability certificate if I have my birth certificate but it only has my fathers name on it?

Khilonna,

If mother's name is not on the birth certificate, it doesn't quality for the primary evidence. Then you will need to go for secondary evidence (non-availability + affidavits).

Thanks for the info. Its catch 22 because when I applied for my 485 we had to provide my birth certificate so USCIS might already know that I do have a birth certificate.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are three options:

1. Attach birth certificate and also 2 affidavits showing your mother's name. Explain in the affidavit or cover letter that these are provided because birth certificate doesn't show mother's name.

2. Get a new birth certificate with mother's name. May take more time.

3. If you were born prior to June 1969, Indian Consulate in US will give non-availability (it may act against you if they check your 485).

Thanks for the info. Its catch 22 because when I applied for my 485 we had to provide my birth certificate so USCIS might already know that I do have a birth certificate.

There are three options:

1. Attach birth certificate and also 2 affidavits showing your mother's name. Explain in the affidavit or cover letter that these are provided because birth certificate doesn't show mother's name.

2. Get a new birth certificate with mother's name. May take more time.

3. If you were born prior to June 1969, Indian Consulate in US will give non-availability (it may act against you if they check your 485).

Only option 1 will work for me. Would you have a sample of the affidavit letter?

Thanks.

This is what I used:

BIRTH AFFIDAVIT

I, <mother's name>, wife of <father's name>, after being duly sworn in, do hereby depose and say that:
1. I am a citizen and national of India, born on <mother's birth date> at <mother place of birth(city,state,country)>. I presently reside at <current address(street,city,state,zip)>.
2. I have direct knowledge of birth of <your name in full> as I am his mother.
3. <your name> was born on <your birth date> at <your place of birth>.
4. <your name in full>’S natural parents are <your mother name> (mother) and <your father's name> (father).
5. The affidavit is being submitted because <your name>’S birth certificate is not available (<or you can put a different reason>).

I affirm under penalty of perjury and upon personal knowledge that the above statements are true and accurate to the best of my knowledge, information and belief.

Signature
Date: March , 2009
Place:

I hereby certify that on this th day of March, 2009, before me, a Notary Public of the aforesaid State and City/County, personally appeared, satisfactorily proven to be the person whose name is subscribed to the foregoing instrument, who acknowledged that she has executed it for the purposes therein set forth.

Only option 1 will work for me. Would you have a sample of the affidavit letter?

Thanks.

luckylilly,

This is the address:

NOTE: If the Form I-130 petition is being filed concurrently with Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, submit both forms concurrently to:
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services P.O. Box 805887 Chicago, IL 60680-4107
For couriers/express deliveries:
USCIS Attn: FBAS 131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Thank you!!I mailed off her application today!!

I-130 approval

Hello:

We recently received approval for a separately filed (non-concurrent) I-130 petition for my mother-in-law. Although we had specified that we would be doing AOS processing (since she is already here on a visitor's visa), the approval states that the petition has been forwarded to the National Visa Center, since it needs consular action. I am thinking this may have been because we put her address in India as her address in the application.

How do we go about filing the AOS petition using I-485? Is it too late to change the CP (which we never requested anyway) to AOS processing?

Please help in answering these questions?

Thanks in advance

i'm about to file for my mother.
1) In form I-130, part C. about your relative, do I put her abroad address or my address where she will be living.
2) My mom's formal marriage is about 12 years after my birth. They didn't do the formal paperwork until years later. I'm aware that marriage licence is needed if I sponsor my dad but will this be a problem?