GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Hi All,

I just filed a petition for my mom. Was wondering how long the process usually takes?
We are here in LA, California.

Thanks,

Anyone know if currently employed is required in order to sponsor parents of USC?
what happens if USC is recently laid off but have income in 2008 that exceed the minimum requirements.

I-864 is the affidavit of support, and it asked for current income, etc, etc.

Birth Certificate format from Consulate for a parent

I am applying for a GC for my mother. She does not have a BC and I read on this site that the Indian Consulate does provide a Certificate for parents without a birth certificate.

Can anyone who has gone down that route, post a format of the letter. It would be most helpful as I am planning to go to the consulate this week.

I tried to contact the consulate to check with them but all I was told was to use the Misc. Application for this request..

Thanks in advance.

SG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi S G

I just obtained letters for my parents from the Consulate General of India in SF. They have a well-defined process. Please see: http://www.cgisf.org/misc/misc_birth.html
The Miscellaneous Service Application form is available for download from here.

In addition to the supporting documents mentioned above I encourage you to send in a notarized copy of the I-485 receipt (if you have one). My application was returned once with the request to re-submit with a notarized copy of documentation from USCIS showing that you have applied for permanent residence.

I believe that the CGI already has a standard format for this letter. It certifies the birth date according to the Indian passport and further has a not to the effect that prior to the government notification of June 2, 1969, registration of births and deaths was not compulsory.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Thank you FiveStar for your prompt response.

Did you have to take your parents to the consulate. I would like to avoid taking my mother to NY if I can. Also, from your response it seems like you did this thru mail or did you have to go in person. Please let me know.

I see posts on this thread that some folks got a RFE inspite of the note from the Consulate.. I was going to go forward to see if I can get someone in india to help me get affidavits as well as a note from the Municipality. Do you think that will be required? Are you planning do get anything from India?

Thank you

I-485 Approval

Received the I-485 approval letters today for my parents. I am posting the timelines for your reference....

Forms Mailed (130, 485, 131, 765)-8/11/08
Receipt Notices Dates-8/15/08
FP Date-9/9/2008
RFE for Birth Certificates- 9/2/08
RFE response received by USCIS-9/29/08
AP & EAD Approved-10/22/08
FBI FP Check completion - 1/12/2008
1-130 Approved-2/19/09
RFE (G325A) - 2/20/09
RFE response recieved - 3/4/09
I-485 approved - 3/6/09
Welcome letter recieved - 3/12/09

This forum is a great resource to share and get information..Thanks to Mr. Khanna and all contributors.

Hi S G,

>>>
Did you have to take your parents to the consulate. I would like to avoid taking my mother to NY if I can. Also, from your response it seems like you did this thru mail or did you have to go in person. Please let me know.
>>>

I applied by mail.

>>>
I see posts on this thread that some folks got a RFE inspite of the note from the Consulate.. I was going to go forward to see if I can get someone in india to help me get affidavits as well as a note from the Municipality. Do you think that will be required? Are you planning do get anything from India?
>>>

I have also read these posts. We have tried to contact the local municipalities in India to get a letter of non-availability of birth certificate but haven't had much luck.

Best regards

EAD ordered for parents

FP done for my parents on Mar 11 and same day my case updated that EAD is ordered, not sure if FP triggers that or not.

Does any body know how long does it take for FP verification ?

-Vaneet
AP approved on Jan 18,
FP Notice Received: Feb 23.
FP Done: Mar 11
EAD Ordered: Mar 11
LUD for I485 and I765: Mar 11

update on mother's case

Hi All,

I recieved letters stating that I-130, 485 were being transferred to California.

Is this normal, as the FP is not yet done. Scheduled for March 19th.

Please let me know.

Feb 17th -USCIS recieved app
*** - Got the reciept.
Notice for FP recieved.
FP scheduled for 19th March
Notices recieved that case is getting transferred.

Thanks,
Akapoor

Fp

My Mom's FP was processed the same day. You can call the FBI at 304-625-5590 with the A numbers, they will tell you if it is done

George

FP done for my parents on Mar 11 and same day my case updated that EAD is ordered, not sure if FP triggers that or not.

Does any body know how long does it take for FP verification ?

-Vaneet
AP approved on Jan 18,
FP Notice Received: Feb 23.
FP Done: Mar 11
EAD Ordered: Mar 11
LUD for I485 and I765: Mar 11

New application for AOS

I sent in my mom's AOS application today. Thanks to this forum for the great information.

Regarding birth certificates:
I got the birth certificate and non-availability for my mom from Indian Consulate in NY (went personally and got them same day). We also got life certificate at the same time for pension purposes.

For the I-130, I used my earlier non-availability certificate from Municipality (used for my GC) along with fresh affidavit from my mom, old birth affidavit from my dad (deceased) and also my school leaving certificate (but doesn't show my mom's name).

I may be better off getting some affidavits prepared just in case.

I will update status as it moves along.

I just obtained letters for my parents from the Consulate General of India in SF. They have a well-defined process. Please see: http://www.cgisf.org

The Consulate General of India in SF website is the best Indian consulate website. The webiste is easy to navigate and provide easy to understand instructions. I would recommend this site anyone that is looking information rather then using the Embassy of India website.

No update online but received I-130 approval letter for both parents and I-485 approval letter for dad. Not sure what happened to mom's I-485... :confused: Hopefully can receive her approval letter soon.

8/14/08: 485,130,131,864,693 sent to Chicago
8/18/08: Receipt date
9/4/08: FP done
10/16/08: Case transferred to CSC
10/23/08: Advance parole approved.
10/24/08: LUD of 485,130
10/31/08: Advance parole received in mail
12/31/08: Info pass appt, was told parents need to be present
1/13/09: Info pass
1/12/09: Both 485 LUD
3/10/09: Dad'd I-130 approved, letter received on 3/16
3/11/09: Dad's I-485 approved, welcome letter received on 3/16
3/11/09: Mom's I-130 approved, letter received on 3/16

Hi gvjagan, I posted an application for BC for my mother to the NY Consulate last week. Do they issue one document for the BC and the Non-Availbility or are they two seperate documents?

Also for the Pensioners certificate did you have to take your mother to the consultate? I need to get one at the end of the year for my mom. Your input would be helpful.

Thanks
SG

I sent in my mom's AOS application today. Thanks to this forum for the great information.

Regarding birth certificates:
I got the birth certificate and non-availability for my mom from Indian Consulate in NY (went personally and got them same day). We also got life certificate at the same time for pension purposes.

For the I-130, I used my earlier non-availability certificate from Municipality (used for my GC) along with fresh affidavit from my mom, old birth affidavit from my dad (deceased) and also my school leaving certificate (but doesn't show my mom's name).

I may be better off getting some affidavits prepared just in case.

I will update status as it moves along.

Hi SG,

There are two documents - one for Birth Certificate and one for Non-availability. I did take my mother to consulate because she had to sign the application form at the counter (for life certificate). BTW one application form is enough for all three certificates. ($40 cash for first two together and life certificate is free).

Hope this helps.

Hi gvjagan, I posted an application for BC for my mother to the NY Consulate last week. Do they issue one document for the BC and the Non-Availbility or are they two seperate documents?

Also for the Pensioners certificate did you have to take your mother to the consultate? I need to get one at the end of the year for my mom. Your input would be helpful.

Thanks
SG

Thank you for your prompt response gvjagan.

Unfortunately I already mailed in my application to NY last weekend. I guess I will have to wait and resend again for the Non Availability document. I know the consulate is almost not reachable on phone for questions..

I just would have to resend her passport to get the document. Is Non Availability also needed for 485? Would I get an RFE if I submit without that and just the BC?

Also.. Do we need to submit a Police Clearance Certificate for Parents? Indian Consulate (NY) says on their website it takes about 45 days for them to process. Is this needed for I-485 as I see they need Criminal History on Initial Evidence.

Thanks
SG

Hi SG,

There are two documents - one for Birth Certificate and one for Non-availability. I did take my mother to consulate because she had to sign the application form at the counter (for life certificate). BTW one application form is enough for all three certificates. ($40 cash for first two together and life certificate is free).

Hope this helps.

SG,

I think it depends on who is handling the case and how the BC issued by Indian consulate is considered as. Question may arise why you went to Indian consulate and not to Indian Municipality of place of birth. Non-availability certificate will give that justification.

I didn't submit any police clearance certificate. I thought it's required only if there was some arrest, conviction or detention.

Is your case AOS or CP?

Thanks.

Thank you for your prompt response gvjagan.

Unfortunately I already mailed in my application to NY last weekend. I guess I will have to wait and resend again for the Non Availability document. I know the consulate is almost not reachable on phone for questions..

I just would have to resend her passport to get the document. Is Non Availability also needed for 485? Would I get an RFE if I submit without that and just the BC?

Also.. Do we need to submit a Police Clearance Certificate for Parents? Indian Consulate (NY) says on their website it takes about 45 days for them to process. Is this needed for I-485 as I see they need Criminal History on Initial Evidence.

Thanks
SG

Received mother's welcome letter today which dated 3/11. :D

8/14/08: 485,130,131,864,693 sent to Chicago
8/18/08: Receipt date
9/4/08: FP done
10/16/08: Case transferred to CSC
10/23/08: Advance parole approved.
10/24/08: LUD of 485,130
10/31/08: Advance parole received in mail
12/31/08: Info pass appt, was told parents need to be present
1/13/09: Info pass
1/12/09: Both 485 LUD
3/10/09: Dad'd I-130 approved, letter received on 3/16
3/11/09: Dad's I-485 approved, welcome letter received on 3/16
3/11/09: Mom's I-130 approved, letter received on 3/16
3/11/09: Mom'd I-485 approved, welcome letter received on 3/18

I received a call from the consulate suggesting that I send them $20.00 for the Non Availability Certificate. It was pleasant surprise.

I checked with the lady who called if I should also get a Police Clearance certificate.. and she suggested that I do.. She said the sooner I do this the better as it may take some time to get the clearance from India. My mother's passport was issued in Hyd.

I will be applying for AOS for my mother as she has already been here for 4 months and her travel visa is running out. That's why not sure if i should get the police clearance right now from Consulate or do it later.. anybody on the message board who got this for their parents?

SG

SG,

I think it depends on who is handling the case and how the BC issued by Indian consulate is considered as. Question may arise why you went to Indian consulate and not to Indian Municipality of place of birth. Non-availability certificate will give that justification.

I didn't submit any police clearance certificate. I thought it's required only if there was some arrest, conviction or detention.

Is your case AOS or CP?

Thanks.