GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

SG,

Since the I-94 is expiring, you might want to go ahead and file for AOS without police clearance. Parallelly you can apply for police clearance in case there is an RFE later.

I guess the consulate has exceeded (y)our expectations.

I received a call from the consulate suggesting that I send them $20.00 for the Non Availability Certificate. It was pleasant surprise.

I checked with the lady who called if I should also get a Police Clearance certificate.. and she suggested that I do.. She said the sooner I do this the better as it may take some time to get the clearance from India. My mother's passport was issued in Hyd.

I will be applying for AOS for my mother as she has already been here for 4 months and her travel visa is running out. That's why not sure if i should get the police clearance right now from Consulate or do it later.. anybody on the message board who got this for their parents?

SG

Good idea. I will probably do that. I am sending the MO for the additional certificate to NY today.

Thank you
SG

SG,

Since the I-94 is expiring, you might want to go ahead and file for AOS without police clearance. Parallelly you can apply for police clearance in case there is an RFE later.

I guess the consulate has exceeded (y)our expectations.

Question on Tax Returns - I-864

Based on what they are asking in the I-864. Can someone please answer my questions.

For filing my mother's application - Should I send:

1. W2's for 2008, 2007 & 2006 ( should i also include 2005 as they say the 3 most recent years)

2) When they say Tax Return should I be sending copies of the 1040 form for 2008 thru 2005?

3) Should I get the Tax Transcripts from IRS for 2005, 2006 and 2007 since I didn't file my taxes yet :mad:

Please help!

Thanks
SG

Federal Income Tax Information - I-864

You must provide either an IRS transcript or a photocopy from your own records of your Federal individual income tax return for the most recent tax year. If you believe additional returns may help you to establish your ability to maintain sufficient income, you may submit transcripts or photocopies of your Federal individual income tax returns for the three most recent years.

If you provide a photocopy of your tax return(s), you must include a copy of each and every Form W-2 and Form 1099 that relates to your return(s). Do not include copies of these Forms if you provide an IRS transcript of your return(s) rather than a photocopy.

SG,

1. No harm in sending three year W2s. I just sent for 2008.
2. 1040 form or IRS transcripts will do.
3. Do not send 2008 1040 unless it's filed and accepted by IRS. It's okay to send 2005 thru 2007 (either 1040 or transcripts - both not required). W2 is required with 1040 copy.

Thanks.

Based on what they are asking in the I-864. Can someone please answer my questions.

For filing my mother's application - Should I send:

1. W2's for 2008, 2007 & 2006 ( should i also include 2005 as they say the 3 most recent years)

2) When they say Tax Return should I be sending copies of the 1040 form for 2008 thru 2005?

3) Should I get the Tax Transcripts from IRS for 2005, 2006 and 2007 since I didn't file my taxes yet :mad:

Please help!

Thanks
SG

Federal Income Tax Information - I-864

You must provide either an IRS transcript or a photocopy from your own records of your Federal individual income tax return for the most recent tax year. If you believe additional returns may help you to establish your ability to maintain sufficient income, you may submit transcripts or photocopies of your Federal individual income tax returns for the three most recent years.

If you provide a photocopy of your tax return(s), you must include a copy of each and every Form W-2 and Form 1099 that relates to your return(s). Do not include copies of these Forms if you provide an IRS transcript of your return(s) rather than a photocopy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am married and sponsoring my mom.I have filled out the 864 and will notarize it soon.I am planning to add my 2008 tax returns and my W2s.

My tax returns is joint with my husband.Do I need to include any document from him even though he is not the one sponsoring a relative.He is also self employed,so he doesn't have W2s.

Thanks!

Thank you Jagan.

I called IRS this afternoon for the transcripts from 2005 thru 2007. The person I spoke to said they would get mailed today and I would get them in a week to 10 days time.

I am going to my accountant this Sunday so should have my Tax Returns for 2008 too.. by the time I file. I will use the efile option so that should be the same as being accepted by IRS correct?

Thank you for your prompt responses.

SG

SG,

1. No harm in sending three year W2s. I just sent for 2008.
2. 1040 form or IRS transcripts will do.
3. Do not send 2008 1040 unless it's filed and accepted by IRS. It's okay to send 2005 thru 2007 (either 1040 or transcripts - both not required). W2 is required with 1040 copy.

Thanks.

Received green card today. :D
Interestingly their profile online hasn't been updated since last LUD on 1/12/09.

8/14/08: 485,130,131,864,693 sent to Chicago
8/18/08: Receipt date
9/4/08: FP done
10/16/08: Case transferred to CSC
10/23/08: Advance parole approved.
10/24/08: LUD of 485,130
10/31/08: Advance parole received in mail
12/31/08: Info pass appt, was told parents need to be present
1/13/09: Info pass
1/12/09: Both 485 LUD
3/10/09: Dad'd I-130 approved, letter received on 3/16
3/11/09: Dad's I-485 approved, welcome letter received on 3/16
3/11/09: Mom's I-130 approved, letter received on 3/16
3/11/09: Mom's I-485 approved, welcome letter received on 3/17
3/19/09: Received cards in mail :cool:

SG,

If you have both your 1040s and W2s for last 3 years, you can send them and transcripts are not required. If you can wait 10 days (they should reach even sooner), no issues.

For my naturalization interview last year, I got last 5 years' transcripts which came in handy now.

Thx.

Thank you Jagan.

I called IRS this afternoon for the transcripts from 2005 thru 2007. The person I spoke to said they would get mailed today and I would get them in a week to 10 days time.

I am going to my accountant this Sunday so should have my Tax Returns for 2008 too.. by the time I file. I will use the efile option so that should be the same as being accepted by IRS correct?

SG

Luckylilly,

If your income from W2s is sufficient then you will not need to attach any other documents (additional documents will not do any harm either).

BTW where did you see the requirement for notary for I-864?

Thanks.

I am married and sponsoring my mom.I have filled out the 864 and will notarize it soon.I am planning to add my 2008 tax returns and my W2s.

My tax returns is joint with my husband.Do I need to include any document from him even though he is not the one sponsoring a relative.He is also self employed,so he doesn't have W2s.

Thanks!

Luckylilly,

If your income from W2s is sufficient then you will not need to attach any other documents (additional documents will not do any harm either).

BTW where did you see the requirement for notary for I-864?

Thanks.

Thanks for your input.I was of the opinion that I-864 gets notarized before filinh.When I used it some years back I had it notarized?Did things change?

Birth Certificate for AOS

Hi gvjagan,

I got just one certificate from CGI SF. This certificate is called 'Birth Certificate'. Even the Miscellaneous Service Application does not specify a separate 'Non-Availability Certificate'. The birth certificate issued did have a note at the end saying that registration of birth and death was not compulsory in India prior to 1969 and hence it is not always possible to obtain a birth certificate for individuals born prior to 1969.

Does anyone know whether a single birth certificate as issued by CGI SF will be accepted?

Thanks.

Hi SG,

There are two documents - one for Birth Certificate and one for Non-availability. I did take my mother to consulate because she had to sign the application form at the counter (for life certificate). BTW one application form is enough for all three certificates. ($40 cash for first two together and life certificate is free).

Hope this helps.

Fivestar,

It's quite possible each consulate has different procedures. Since birth certificate, in your case, had a note at the end, it should suffice.

The birth certificate issued by NY consulate didn't have that note and we had to get a separate non-availability certificate.

Thx.

Hi gvjagan,

I got just one certificate from CGI SF. This certificate is called 'Birth Certificate'. Even the Miscellaneous Service Application does not specify a separate 'Non-Availability Certificate'. The birth certificate issued did have a note at the end saying that registration of birth and death was not compulsory in India prior to 1969 and hence it is not always possible to obtain a birth certificate for individuals born prior to 1969.

Does anyone know whether a single birth certificate as issued by CGI SF will be accepted?

Thanks.

If you have a fax machine by your side, IRS can fax the transcripts to you immediately. (FREE) You don't need to wait for the mail.

Thank you Jagan.

SG

hi everybody.
I received my oath letter couple weeks ago and becoming usa citizen nextweek.Here is my question?my mum come to USA on her tourist visa and we requested an extension.Now her process is still pending with USCIS.once i become US Citizen can i still petition for her while her case is still pending or should we withdraw the application? Any comment will be appreciated. Thanks good luck to everyone.

lahopefor

It depends on when her I-94 is expiring. In any case I would not recommend withdrawing her extension petition as I am not sure INS would act upon it in timely fashion. If they are not giving you a refund, whats the benefit of withdrawing anyways.

That's great. I didn't think about that. I will give them a call next week. I am still in the process of getting my mother's medical completed.. so have some time left to wait.

But a great tip. Thank you. Everybody is so helpful and knowledgeable on this site.

SG

If you have a fax machine by your side, IRS can fax the transcripts to you immediately. (FREE) You don't need to wait for the mail.

lahopefor

It depends on when her I-94 is expiring. In any case I would not recommend withdrawing her extension petition as I am not sure INS would act upon it in timely fashion. If they are not giving you a refund, whats the benefit of withdrawing anyways.
Hi Punjab
Her i-94 has been expired almost a month ago and USCIS has not made any decision yet but i belive she can still stay here since she her case still pending.
My concern was that Once i become citizen can i still petition AOS for her while She has already pending case?

DS-230(I) signature problem!!

my husband is in the process of bringing his mom here.

the question is - can he sign the Application DS-230 part I on her behalf because it will take time to get her original signature.
or can we scan the document and E-mail it to her and she sign and E-mial back to US?

Thank you.