update for my mom's green card:
11/21/08 Application received by INS
12/23/08 Case transferred To california
2/24/09 Fingerprint notice for I 485 finally received after many calls
2/25/09 walkin fingerprint done in San Jose, CA
3/19/09 I-130 approved
3/23/09 I-485 welcome letter issued
3/30/09 Green card received

Thank you everyone for help and good luck to you all.

I applied immigrant visa for my parents through CP.
They got their medical done in Chennai with the doctor list provided by NVC.
The medical report is open it is not sealed. We checked with the doctor and he said it is ok to be open. Does anyone else got the medical done in chennai and can you share your experience?

and also if anyone went to CP interview in chennai can you please share your experience?

Thank you.

Is there a recommendation on how long should we wait, before applying for parents after there arrival in US on Tourist visa??

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a recommendation on how long should we wait, before applying for parents after there arrival in US on Tourist visa??

3-4 months is the ideal time - though this is not a strict legal advice. I have a neighbor who did it for his mother after 30 days w/o any issues or queries. His mother was here 2-3 times in the past including once having extended her B2 visa. My short advice - be reasonable so as not to attract undue attention by filing too quickly. This way you avoid the interpretation of your parents having lied while entering as visitors and still having a clear intention to immigrate.

Hello:

We recently received approval for a separately filed (non-concurrent) I-130 petition for my mother-in-law. Although we had specified that we would be doing AOS processing (since she is already here on a visitor's visa), the approval states that the petition has been forwarded to the National Visa Center, since it needs consular action. I am thinking this may have been because we put her address in India as her address in the application.

How do we go about filing the AOS petition using I-485? Is it too late to change the CP (which we never requested anyway) to AOS processing?

Please help in answering these questions?
Thanks in advance

I am not an attorney or 100% sure, what has changed recently; but contact NVC (I think you can call them and/or write a letter) mentioning that beneficiary will be adjusting status in US and then file for AOS.

I have couple of more questions:

1. Do I fill out G-325A for myself and my mom?
2. On G-325A, do I put my mom's address in USA where she is staying or her address n India?
3. Do I need to get the Medical Report (I-693) before I apply?
4. Do all doctors charge the same fee for I-693 or should I call around?

Thank you.

1. For your mom.
2. Current address where your mom is staying now. Past addresses are also required.
3. Medical report must be attached with I-485.
4. Different doctors have different fees but some don't quote initially for additional tests. The range is $300-$450.

I have couple of more questions:

1. Do I fill out G-325A for myself and my mom?
2. On G-325A, do I put my mom's address in USA where she is staying or her address n India?
3. Do I need to get the Medical Report (I-693) before I apply?
4. Do all doctors charge the same fee for I-693 or should I call around?

Thank you.

Need some guidance on submitting I-94:

I searched thro' I-131, I-130, I-765, I-485 instructions and am unable to find instruction that tell me I need to submit photocopy of I-94.

However, in I-765 filing instructions it clearly states that if am filing under Category c(9)(which is what most parents whose child is a U.S. Citizen fall under) there is no need to submit I-94 and this runs contrary to general opinion on this forum that submission of I-94 is mandatory and required.

I understand the importance of I-94 and what it is for but can someone point me to the instructions where it says its required.

Birth certificate

For I-130 for my mother on B2..

I have my original birth certificate partly in English and partly in native language. Does anyone know a certified translator (in Chicago area or nationally) who can translate this? OR

Is it better to get my BC from Indian Consulate? Will this be treated as original evidence or a secondary evidence which also needs to be supported by a Non-availability certificate?

For my Green Card, my mother and one other relative made birth date affidavits for me way back in 2000. The relative who filed the affidavit is no more. Will the same affidavits work?

I will appreciate advice / feedback on this. Feel free to add any other suggestion to establish relationship with my mother.

Thanks in advance..

Last edited by a moderator:
uk01,

I submitted older affidavit and a copy of non-availability certificate which is used for my GC. Now I received an RFE to produce original non-availability along with secondary evidence again. I suggest getting fresh affidavits. That's what I plan to do.

Hope this helps.

For I-130 for my mother on B2..

I have my original birth certificate partly in English and partly in native language. Does anyone know a certified translator (in Chicago area or nationally) who can translate this? OR

Is it better to get my BC from Indian Consulate? Will this be treated as original evidence or a secondary evidence which also needs to be supported by a Non-availability certificate?

For my Green Card, my mother and one other relative made birth date affidavits for me way back in 2000. The relative who filed the affidavit is no more. Will the same affidavits work?

I will appreciate advice / feedback on this. Feel free to add any other suggestion to establish relationship with my mother.

Thanks in advance..

uk01,

I submitted older affidavit and a copy of non-availability certificate which is used for my GC. Now I received an RFE to produce original non-availability along with secondary evidence again. I suggest getting fresh affidavits. That's what I plan to do.

Hope this helps.

Why are you suggesting others to get FRESH AFFIDAVITS and even trying to get for yourself when nowhere on RFE it states to submit fresh affidavits? As a matter of fact, RFE doesn't even state about submitting of affidavits, instead it states about submitting secondary evidence along with Non-Availability of Birth Certificate. Nobody, including yourself, know if USCIS requires updated/current ("fresh") affidavits because no evidence of it so far. So, until you know for sure that not submitting current/latest affidavits has caused USCIS to send out RFE, any suggesting might mislead and give unnecessary fear to others.

USCIS is actually tend to overlook documents all the time. Believe me. It's happenning more often than you know. Over the years I've come to know thousands of cases wherein people had a completed set of application with all documents; yet USCIS still asked them about some of those submitted documents again thru RFE. And this seems to be the situation in your case as well. I'm sure if you submit the non-availability certificate along with other evidence of birth, it will be more than okay. Alos, keep it in mind that secondary evidence doesn't have to be only affidavits; instead it could be baptism certificate or school record or etc.

A. Church record: A copy of a document bearing the seal of the church, showing the baptism, dedication or comparable rite occurred within two months after birth, and showing the date and place of the child's birth, date of the religious ceremony, and the names of the child's parents.

B. School record: A letter from the authority (preferably the first school attended) showing the date of admission to the school, the child's date of birth or age at that time, place of birth, and names of the parents.

C. Census record: State or Federal census record showing the names, place of birth, date of birth, or the age of the person listed.

D. Affidavits: Written statements sworn to or affirmed by two persons who were living at the time and who have personal knowledge of the event you are trying to prove. For example, the date and place of birth, marriage or death. The person making the affidavit does not have to be a U.S. citizen. Each affidavit should contain the following information regarding the person making the affidavit: his or her full name, address, date and place of birth, and his or her relationship to you, if any, full information concerning the event, and complete details explaining how the person acquired knowledge of the event.

Sorry, if I misled anyone. I am just doing to be on "safe" side.

Why are you suggesting others to get FRESH AFFIDAVITS and even trying to get for yourself when nowhere on RFE it states to submit fresh affidavits? As a matter of fact, RFE doesn't even state about submitting of affidavits, instead it states about submitting secondary evidence along with Non-Availability of Birth Certificate. Nobody, including yourself, know if USCIS requires updated/current ("fresh") affidavits because no evidence of it so far. So, until you know for sure that not submitting current/latest affidavits has caused USCIS to send out RFE, any suggesting might mislead and give unnecessary fear to others.

USCIS is actually tend to overlook documents all the time. Believe me. It's happenning more often than you know. Over the years I've come to know thousands of cases wherein people had a completed set of application with all documents; yet USCIS still asked them about some of those submitted documents again thru RFE. And this seems to be the situation in your case as well. I'm sure if you submit the non-availability certificate along with other evidence of birth, it will be more than okay. Alos, keep it in mind that secondary evidence doesn't have to be only affidavits; instead it could be baptism certificate or school record or etc.

Sorry, if I misled anyone. I am just doing to be on "safe" side.

There is nothing wrong to be on the safe side. Also, I didn't say that you are misleading others; instead the core of my message was that you shouldn't suggest others about submitting current/updated/latest ("fresh") affidavits when there is no evidence/proof whatsoever so far about USCIS asking specifically about it. If there is any proof then it's okay; otherwise it will mislead others.

Does it matter, if the parents for whom we are applying are not staying in the same city or state as you.

e.g.

I apply for my parents, but they are staying with my brother(he is not a citizen of US). Could all there FP and interview be done, without my need to go be present with them??

Until the GC is approved, I would strongly advise the parents to live with the sponsoring child. Once approved, nothing is stopping them from moving in with another child of theirs.

I apply for my parents, but they are staying with my brother(he is not a citizen of US). Could all there FP and interview be done, without my need to go be present with them??

i became citizen recently and may apply for my father only.now he has pending case with uscis(change of visa).i dont want to do anything wrong so my question is that can iapply for my dad while his case pending.it has been almost 3 months and they have not sent us the decision.