GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Yes, that is the only form

Quick question: For CP, is I130 the only form you need to file until it is approved?

You just need to fill the form, attach the fee and certificates such as birth and marriage and file it. Once it gets approved..a month or so later you will need letter from NVC for further action.

I have a question regarding applications when mailing them.

Is it OK to staple the applications and attach the other required documentation with a paper clip when putting them together? i.e. a packet for i-485, I-131.. etc..

Thanks
SG

Certification of Good Conduct

Hello,
After two attempts at obtaining legible fingerprints, my mother has been asked to obtain a "certification of good conduct" from each law enforcement district in which she has resided during the previous 5 yrs, indicating that she has no criminal record as her fingerprints are "illegible". Is this the same as a "police clearance certificate" that the Indian Consulate provides? Can this be obtained directly from the police department in India? I will also get this certificate from the local police department to cover the time she has spent in the US.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

I have a question regarding applications when mailing them.

Is it OK to staple the applications and attach the other required documentation with a paper clip when putting them together? i.e. a packet for i-485, I-131.. etc..

Yes, it's more than OK and that's the way applications should be assembled.

Hello,
After two attempts at obtaining legible fingerprints, my mother has been asked to obtain a "certification of good conduct" from each law enforcement district in which she has resided during the previous 5 yrs, indicating that she has no criminal record as her fingerprints are "illegible". Is this the same as a "police clearance certificate" that the Indian Consulate provides? Can this be obtained directly from the police department in India? I will also get this certificate from the local police department to cover the time she has spent in the US.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.
gcdec00,

I am in the same boat at you. Look up this forum. There are a few threads that talk about the same issue. It appears to me that we need to get a certificate from the Local Law enforcement from all the places where the applicant may have lived "in US". Police clearance from other countries may not work. I am yet to confirm this but that's my conclusion so far.

Some folks such a certificate while in some cases the police refuse. Another option is to go to State DOJ and get a background check done. Go to the DOJ site for your state and you will find that information. I am also in process of evaluating options. I got the RFE for my dad today. I will keep this thread updated. Let me know if you make any progress.

Thank you JonnyCash..

I am sending a copy of my Birth Certificate for sponsering my mother along with Affidavites for my BC.
My question is, is it necessary to send original Affidavites? or can I send copies instead?

gcdec00,

I am in the same boat at you. Look up this forum. There are a few threads that talk about the same issue. It appears to me that we need to get a certificate from the Local Law enforcement from all the places where the applicant may have lived "in US". Police clearance from other countries may not work. I am yet to confirm this but that's my conclusion so far.

Some folks such a certificate while in some cases the police refuse. Another option is to go to State DOJ and get a background check done. Go to the DOJ site for your state and you will find that information. I am also in process of evaluating options. I got the RFE for my dad today. I will keep this thread updated. Let me know if you make any progress.

Thanks Vinayakk.
I have an InfoPass scheduled for later this week to clarify if this requires a certificate from the home country, in addition to the one from the local police department. The local police department will issue such a letter (they require you bring along any mail addressed to the applicant at the US address). I will keep this thread updated.

Thanks Vinayakk.
I have an InfoPass scheduled for later this week to clarify if this requires a certificate from the home country, in addition to the one from the local police department. The local police department will issue such a letter (they require you bring along any mail addressed to the applicant at the US address). I will keep this thread updated.
Thanks. As far as the mailed letter goes, will the RFE or the Receipt of the Application work? After all that's a letter mailed to the applicant as well.

Thank you JonnyCash..

I am sending a copy of my Birth Certificate for sponsering my mother along with Affidavites for my BC.
My question is, is it necessary to send original Affidavites? or can I send copies instead?

I have also affidavits but it's for my mom's BC but i sent only the copy.

Finally got the welcome letter.. Was getting nervous since I saw many approvals online from November. The online status still has LUD 03/08/09..

Looks like transfer to CSC does get things done quicker - no interview - 4 mos 3 weeks in our case...

Good luck to everyone out there, and hope to get the actual card soon

that is fast! i hope my mom's case the same. congratulations!

Thanks Vinayakk.

At the InfoPass, the officer informed me very clearly that they were only interested in the certificate from the local police department(s). She double checked with her supervisor on this one and stated clearly that nothing from India was needed. To answer your question, yes, any letter addressed to the applicant at that address will suffice.

At the InfoPass, the officer informed me very clearly that they were only interested in the certificate from the local police department(s). She double checked with her supervisor on this one and stated clearly that nothing from India was needed. To answer your question, yes, any letter addressed to the applicant at that address will suffice.
Thanks gcdec00. I checked the San Jose PD site and they have a form for obtaining Police Clearance certificate for visa and immigration purpose. I will apply on Friday and see how that goes.

Vinayak

check case status online

I can not check the case status online from USCIS website

My dad's case # for I485 starting with MSC09 with total of 13 digits. It showed "wrong #". I applied I130 first for him and it was approved, and his approved I130 case # was starting with WAC09 with total of 13 digits.

Anyone has a I485 case # starting with MSC09? Thanks!

longappl,

I did concurrent filing of I-130 and I-485 and I did get two MSC#s. The 485 case# showed up online when I got an RFE (until then it showed case not found). Once the case was transferred to CSC, I can see both case #s online (says "case is pending at the office where it's transferred").

In your case, does it say wrong # or case not found?

I can not check the case status online from USCIS website

My dad's case # for I485 starting with MSC09 with total of 13 digits. It showed "wrong #". I applied I130 first for him and it was approved, and his approved I130 case # was starting with WAC09 with total of 13 digits.

Anyone has a I485 case # starting with MSC09? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the error message:

Validation Error(s)
You must correct the following error(s) before proceeding:
Your case can not be found at this time in Case Status Online. Please check your receipt number and try again. If you need further assistance please call the National Customer Service Center at 1.800.375.5283.

To view the status of a case, please enter the corresponding application receipt number. The 13-character application receipt number can be found on application notices you have received from the USCIS. It begins with three letters such as (EAC, WAC, LIN, or SRC). Dashes ("-") should be omitted when entering a receipt number. However, all other characters, including asterisks ("*"), can be included if listed on your notice as part of the receipt number. See the FAQs for additional information on this system.

longappl,

It looks like your case is not online yet. My case took about a month before it showed up online.

Thx.

Here is the error message:

Validation Error(s)
You must correct the following error(s) before proceeding:
Your case can not be found at this time in Case Status Online. Please check your receipt number and try again. If you need further assistance please call the National Customer Service Center at 1.800.375.5283.

To view the status of a case, please enter the corresponding application receipt number. The 13-character application receipt number can be found on application notices you have received from the USCIS. It begins with three letters such as (EAC, WAC, LIN, or SRC). Dashes ("-") should be omitted when entering a receipt number. However, all other characters, including asterisks ("*"), can be included if listed on your notice as part of the receipt number. See the FAQs for additional information on this system.

longappl,

It looks like your case is not online yet. My case took about a month before it showed up online.

Thx.

gvjagan,
my father's case and time line is almost identical to your mother's case. They sent me an RFE as well, right around the same time.Last letter we received was to notify us that the case had been transferred to California.I wonder how much longer it will take to get the EAD and I130 approved.Is it good that it was sent to California?